Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Looking for some cool bombers to show me the Dota2 ropes.

Avatar image for noblesseobligegamer
    NoblesseObligeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Happy New Years Bombers!

I made a New Year goal to learn how to play Dota2. I've done the training missions and have played a game or two of lol before and I feel like this is a monster that might be to hard to wander into alone. So I was wondering if any of you fine Lady's/Gentlemen would be interested in playing a few games and helping me understand some of these foreign mechanics to me.

Steam ID: noblesseobligegamer

Thanks Bombers!

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Here's where I recommend you start:

This is the best newbie-focused video series I have found, it was made before guides, were implimented, so the item tutorial isn't as important, but the information is still incredibly useful: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDdv1UhKaheYX_f-7GYbx5uKjF8SheYnP

I recommend shying away from some of the more pro-oriented videos from people like Purge. They will throw around so many terms and acronyms that you will probably get overwhelmed and discouraged. DotaCinema has some good video guides, particularly the "hero in 60 seconds" series.

Complete the tutorial, all of it, including the 10 games with other players. For bonus points, do do the "last hit" tutorial. Learning how to last hit is what will allow you to play a carry instead of being in support hell.

Play "limited hero" matches until you have played every hero and can roughly identify what their role is in the game. Learning how each hero works is probably one of the more important differences when compared to LoL. In LoL, there are a few cookie cutter hero styles that most heroes are cut from. In DotA, there are some incredibly unique heroes that if you aren't aware of how they work, will kill you immediately (for example, if bloodseeker uses his ult on you, you will die if you run away.) The limited pool will keep you from feeding while you build your knowledge.

Join the GiantBomb chat channel in game. Specifically look for the term "LL MM". This means Low Level Matchmaking and will be newer players grouping up. You can also say in there that you are new and would like to have a mentor or someone help you learn. Bot matches are also good, but they can be frustrating. The bots tend to get into a 5-man group fairly early on, and without cooperation from your human teammates, they can easily overwhelm you.

Get a mic and use it, I can't emphasize how important this is. Even if you're new, as long as you are friendly and vocalize your concerns, this goes a long way to ensuring you will get help and not get yelled at. When someone asks you to place wards, ask "where is a good spot"? and they will ping on the map for you. If you are following a guide, it's ok to ask if the item is good or not. "This guide says to build a Mekanism, is that a good idea?" "No, I'm already building one and there's no reason to have two on a team, build a Force Staff instead". If someone says that as a response, friend them immediately. :p

Avatar image for deactivated-649f07b15d7b8
    deactivated-649f07b15d7b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@chiablo: great response! So good, it should be pinned for newbies! gj man!

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@chiablo said:

Here's where I recommend you start:

This is the best newbie-focused video series I have found, it was made before guides, were implimented, so the item tutorial isn't as important, but the information is still incredibly useful: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDdv1UhKaheYX_f-7GYbx5uKjF8SheYnP

I recommend shying away from some of the more pro-oriented videos from people like Purge. They will throw around so many terms and acronyms that you will probably get overwhelmed and discouraged. DotaCinema has some good video guides, particularly the "hero in 60 seconds" series.

Complete the tutorial, all of it, including the 10 games with other players. For bonus points, do do the "last hit" tutorial. Learning how to last hit is what will allow you to play a carry instead of being in support hell.

Play "limited hero" matches until you have played every hero and can roughly identify what their role is in the game. Learning how each hero works is probably one of the more important differences when compared to LoL. In LoL, there are a few cookie cutter hero styles that most heroes are cut from. In DotA, there are some incredibly unique heroes that if you aren't aware of how they work, will kill you immediately (for example, if bloodseeker uses his ult on you, you will die if you run away.) The limited pool will keep you from feeding while you build your knowledge.

Join the GiantBomb chat channel in game. Specifically look for the term "LL MM". This means Low Level Matchmaking and will be newer players grouping up. You can also say in there that you are new and would like to have a mentor or someone help you learn. Bot matches are also good, but they can be frustrating. The bots tend to get into a 5-man group fairly early on, and without cooperation from your human teammates, they can easily overwhelm you.

Get a mic and use it, I can't emphasize how important this is. Even if you're new, as long as you are friendly and vocalize your concerns, this goes a long way to ensuring you will get help and not get yelled at. When someone asks you to place wards, ask "where is a good spot"? and they will ping on the map for you. If you are following a guide, it's ok to ask if the item is good or not. "This guide says to build a Mekanism, is that a good idea?" "No, I'm already building one and there's no reason to have two on a team, build a Force Staff instead". If someone says that as a response, friend them immediately. :p

Thanks! I really want to get into DOTA as well. I really dig watching Daily Dota but actually playing it is pretty intimidating!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.