New screenshots of DOTA2

• 66 results
#1 Posted by Krenor (468 posts) -

Just posting some new screenshots of DOTA 2, I did not take them they were probably leaked by a team that's playing in the tournament in a few days.

I think it looks really nice, it's Source engine so you'll be able to customize anything you don't like.

#2 Posted by chainreaction01 (175 posts) -

I agree, looks really smooth which seems to be Valve's solution to preventing games from aging too fast. As for the art style my immediate impression was "Feels like Warcraft Universe" but with a few unique twists on the units. Also digging the look of the UI, can't wait to see it all in motion.

#3 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Looks really nice. The source engine is fantastic for this kind of style.

#4 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4292 posts) -

I want this game. Now.

#5 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2224 posts) -

Water reflections and shadows look really nice

#6 Posted by Jokers_Wild (208 posts) -

My god. It's beautiful!

#7 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Oh wow, it looks amazing, actually even better than I thought it would.

#8 Posted by Kodo_Beast (131 posts) -

I'm going to dream about Doom Bringer tonight, goddamn it. Can't wait to see this in motion!

#9 Posted by rmanthorp (3877 posts) -
Wait F2P? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY LIFE!
#10 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Consider me very interested to see how it ends up looking in motion and with all slots full.  Doom Bringer looks awesome.

#11 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

Looking good

#12 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Totally digging the TF2/Torchlight texturing/look.

#13 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -

I already see a huge banner on Steam for a week/month and an insane amount of people playing it.

#14 Posted by probablytuna (3547 posts) -

It looks like a mash between Warcraft's colour palette, Diablo III's art style and a bit of a Starcraft's UI design. It just feels wrong that it is a Valve game. Looks very good however, can't wait to see video footage of it.

#15 Posted by CaptainObvious (2993 posts) -

Looks slick.

#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I hate complex games because i can't access them and that makes me feel like a stupid fucking dimwit.

#17 Edited by mnzy (2911 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

I hate complex games because i can't access them and that makes me feel like a stupid fucking dimwit.

Well then DOTA is the game for you!
#18 Posted by anypti (88 posts) -

sweet graphics, love the art style

#19 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@mnzy said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

well, .. 
um, wait what?
#20 Posted by mnzy (2911 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@mnzy said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

well, .. um, wait what?
DOTA is an easy game.
#21 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@mnzy said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@mnzy said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

well, .. um, wait what?
DOTA is an easy game.
Is that "easy" ACTUAL easy or "it's easy for me so i'll describe it as easy" easy ? 

Go easy on me while you explain your use of "easy". Cya take it easy.
#22 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
New Image folks! 
#23 Posted by mnzy (2911 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@mnzy said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@mnzy said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

well, .. um, wait what?
DOTA is an easy game.
Is that "easy" ACTUAL easy or "it's easy for me so i'll describe it as easy" easy ?  Go easy on me while you explain your use of "easy". Cya take it easy.
Well it's not I-need-to-use-the-word-easy-eight-times-in-one-post easy, but you shouldn't feel like a dimwit.
#24 Posted by Gamer_152 (14053 posts) -

It looks like a pretty video game.

#25 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Looking very nice, I can see this along with the new CS becoming very big in the competitive scene.

#26 Posted by EverFrost (40 posts) -

@mnzy: Easy in terms of concept and gameplay, perhaps. But not easy to master.

#27 Posted by Thoseposers (781 posts) -

@Bucketdeth said:

Looking very nice, I can see this along with the new CS becoming very big in the competitive scene.

How is DOTA a hugely competitive game like Starcraft? Cause when i played LOL it was pretty straightforward without any crazy tactics. Is there really some kind of high level strategy in these games that make them good for e-sports?

#28 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Thoseposers said:

@Bucketdeth said:

How is DOTA a hugely competitive game like Starcraft? Cause when i played LOL it was pretty straightforward without any crazy tactics. Is there really some kind of high level strategy in these games that make them good for e-sports?

I've been told that there is!

#29 Posted by biospank (648 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Thoseposers said:

@Bucketdeth said:

I've been told that there is!

I. Character

1. Stats
  2. Pros and Cons
  3. Skills
  4. Skill Build

II.Item Build

1. Starting
  2. Core
  3. Situational
  4. Luxury
  5. Rejected

III.Playstyle

1. Laning Phase
  2. Farming/Jungling
  3. Roshan
  4. Teamfights

There is a diffrent strategy in dota and sc2 as you can see with the checklist above.

#30 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Oh look, it's the same map as in every other DotA game ever!

Nah, just kidding. Though it does look similar...

#31 Posted by Jokers_Wild (208 posts) -
 Hail, Roshan!
#32 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

DO WANT THIS!

#33 Edited by amomjc (977 posts) -

Man I cannot wait until this releases, I have been playing the shit out of League of Legends and hope this doesn't kill it, but I definitely will be playing both of them.

Btw, DOTA is extremely easy to play but incredibly difficult to master.

EDIT: You can call me dumb, but are they going to have better names or are we settling with "General Naming Title" for every character like "Shadow Fiend" ?

#34 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@csoup said:

Man I cannot wait until this releases, I have been playing the shit out of League of Legends and hope this doesn't kill it, but I definitely will be playing both of them.

LoL is it's own thing.. If DOTA 2 plays anything close to DOTA 1 they are both different enough to keep going with their own market.

#35 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

@Rufi91 said:

Wait F2P? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY LIFE!

Don't worry, there will be plenty of hat money to be given.

#36 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

@DonPixel said:

@csoup said:

LoL is it's own thing.. If DOTA 2 plays anything close to DOTA 1 they are both different enough to keep going with their own market.

Ah thanks for clearing that up, I never played the original WC3 DOTA but loved the idea of it. Moved onto LoL and figured since it had some of the original developers that it was the same. Sounds good though, hopefully the original DOTA formula isn't so obtrusive and elitist as people make it out to be so I can actually enjoy it.

#37 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@csoup: Mmm well there is a long story there between Pendragon and Icefrog, The original DOTA mod devs. Pendragon is the one that started DOTA and then moved with Riot into LoL He did change the game to make it more accessible and less punishing. While Icefrog moved into S2 to make Heroes of Newerth.

I haven't follow their patch updates and forum feedback THAT MUCH... but so far I uderstand Pendragon is easygoing he has progressive thinking and he's been trying to innovate with the formula.

Icefrog in the other hand is more conservative and balance/competitive focus, He is including denying again in DOTA2 (which i think is dumb) but anyway.. If I were to pick one I take Pendragon any day..

Said so this being Valve working on it I'm still pretty pumped for DOTA 2.

#38 Posted by kiddi (3 posts) -
@DonPixel: Pendragon was never a developer for the DotA map.  You might be confusing him with Guinsoo, who now works for Riot.
#39 Posted by Irvandus (2826 posts) -

Even though I said I would never play another DOTA game I think I'm going to have to cave and buy this.

#40 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

If it's free I'll play it!

#41 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -

Can't wait to try it out, been an avid sc2/dota player for awhile so I'm majorly looking forward to this.

#42 Posted by Jokers_Wild (208 posts) -

It's been too many hours since the last new screenshot. I'm suffering withdrawal.

#43 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Doom Bringer is a cool looking dude.

Also, definitely want to try this out if it's free. (surely it will be.  surely)

#44 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

i bet this game is going to be better than league of legends. that makes me feel kind of bad: a huge company crushing a successful little indie upstart.

#45 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

Ok, I've only played a little LoL...but is that the only friggen map there is!? It's the exact same map in LoL and that's all that game has...and now I see the very same map in DotA2?

#46 Posted by Rebirth1337 (795 posts) -
@mnzy said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@mnzy said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@mnzy said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

well, .. um, wait what?
DOTA is an easy game.
Is that "easy" ACTUAL easy or "it's easy for me so i'll describe it as easy" easy ?  Go easy on me while you explain your use of "easy". Cya take it easy.
Well it's not I-need-to-use-the-word-easy-eight-times-in-one-post easy, but you shouldn't feel like a dimwit.
ha the game isn't easy don't let this man fool you.
#47 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Phew I thought the graphics were going to be too close to HoN. This actually looks playable.

#48 Posted by Jokers_Wild (208 posts) -
@Vodun: That's the map from DotA. People still use it because it works. Same reason nobody invents a new chessboard.
#49 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Please be free. And be more like LoL. Also, I am hoping that the community won't be comprised of complete and utter assholes.
Ha.Ha.Ha.

#50 Posted by Taklulas (401 posts) -
@Thoseposers said:

@Bucketdeth said:

Yes. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.