"Next week: Cold Fusion" - This Week's Update + Some Analysis

#1 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

This week we got a pretty big update so I thought I would do a quick summery of the more interesting and less obvious points.

First Things First

http://blog.dota2.com/2012/02/next-week-cold-fusion/

• Outworld Destroyer (aka Obsidian Destroyer) - Not much to say about him, he is a cool hero but you can find out for yourself.
  • A funny little gem you might have missed you you didn't read the changelog: "Fixed sweet exploit where you could buy a nice juicy passive item, give it to another friendly hero, have that hero die and upon respawn the passive effects of the item would be granted -- Desolator would start desolating, butterfly would start buttering, etc."
  • Something stupid but cool: The high hill at each forest now has some-kind of marking on it.
  • Injured animations were added for the following heroes: Anti-Mage, Axe, Beastmaster, Broodmother, Clinkz, Death Prophet, Doom Bringer, Enigma, Lina, Sand King, Shadow Shaman, Skeleton King and Venomancer.

Things We are Not Supposed to Know Yet

You can find more at this great blog. http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/02/dota-2-16th-feb/

• New textures were added for (you can see them in the blog): Bane, Brewmaster, Lone Druid, Lycan, Magnataur, Ogre Magi, Phantom Lancer and Shadow Demon.
  • The Big (yet expected news): Some kind of a Steam Workshop support
  • And this little thing.
aww

So what are your thoughts on the update?

#2 Posted by IndieFinch (242 posts) -

This is probably the best update of the beta thus far. It does feel like they are taking the big step forward in getting this game out there to the people who are non-hardcore dota fans. The matchmaking is a lot cleaner with you being able to select the game modes to search for. My favorite part is that Single Draft and Captains Mode are now in Matchmaking!! Good bye all pick...it was nice knowing you. Some interesting things on the matchmaking spot now is "Tutorial, Quests, Co Op vs AI." We can easily guess what the tutorial and Co Op vs AI are. But Quests seems very interesting. My guess is it will be challenge type of things like in Starcraft 2 where they gave you a small amount of units and wanted you to complete a task.

They added a lot of little stuff that I really like to. If you hit "Alt" it shows an arrow above your character. The day/night cycle now has a pretty wheel and has an easy to see icon. When you select your hero a little circle flashes so you can spot it easier.

Things should get a lot more crazy next week with the release of the beta within the beta. Once that happens, anything can happen it seems. Possibly even a mass beta key wave because they will need more people to support two separate clients.

#3 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1457 posts) -

I really wish they would add more support heroes before they add more carries its stupid to have this many characters before magi. Also quick question how is everyone else counter picking destro?

#4 Posted by IndieFinch (242 posts) -

@Dizzyhippos said:

I really wish they would add more support heroes before they add more carries its stupid to have this many characters before magi. Also quick question how is everyone else counter picking destro?

One thing to note is you don't need to go by the labels next to the character. You can play a whole lot of heros are support just by purchasing the support items. Personally my favorite supports are not "supports" in the label, which are Venomancer, Windrunner, Anchient Apparation, and Jakerio. Just pick up a Mekanism by mid game on them and stay in the back of the fight getting off the slows / mekanism heal.

I assume "destro" is Outworld Destroyer, the best way I have found to counter him is to gank him a lot early game. He is very squishy early on and has a really short cast range. So if you get 1 good stun on him, it is a pretty easy kill because he really doesn't have a good escape. As far as pure heros and not strategy, Doombringer / Silencer would be solid picks against him. During team fights he usually has to get close to the action due to his short range and a well placed silence will make him useless long enough for your team to kill him. Then late game your best bet against him is to pick up a BKB and he wont be able to touch you. If your team lets him farm and no one bothers ganking him, his ult will just decimate your full team late game.

#5 Edited by ack (138 posts) -

would it be good or bad if they did microtransactions for cute custom couriers

it is sad to think i would shell out bux for that cute badger, but look at 'im

#6 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

@ack said:

would it be good or bad if they did microtransactions for cute custom couriers

it is sad to think i would shell out bux for that cute badger, but look at 'im

You better be ready to pay more than that.

Those versions are far from being finished, but look at that little pudge!

#7 Posted by Jokers_Wild (211 posts) -

Gonna be honest, I'm buying Juggernaut's dog the moment I can.

#8 Posted by Cyborgmatt (93 posts) -
#9 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

@Cyborgmatt: Didn't know you are a GB user o_O

Your blog is awesome, keep up the good work!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.