Official DOTA 2 GiantBomb Tournament

#151 Posted by Ratfoot (199 posts) -

Man everyone hating on the passive China doto in here :P

#152 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (624 posts) -

Today's set of games are up! Watch 'em here! It is "Mongolian Death Worms" vs "Me He"; both terrific teams.

#153 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

GAME 3 OF MONGOLIAN DEATH WORMS VS ME HE WAS INSANE YOU GUYS

#154 Posted by woutr (23 posts) -

Question: is there any way to watch these replays in the dota client? I tried searching for them (filtering by player names) but they don't show up for me.

#155 Posted by froggeh (24 posts) -

@woutr: since they are private lobby games only people who played in them can view them.

#156 Posted by Kolh (15 posts) -

@woutr I set up a rapidshare acc in order to make my replays available (only has the first match yet), maybe the other teams can do that too.

http://my.rapidshare.com/Erqsed/9568

#157 Edited by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

@kolh: Thanks a lot, Kolh. I should do the same after our first matches.

#158 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (624 posts) -

Plenty of updates to the schedule. We'll enjoy a good 3-4 set of games over the next, few days. I'd recommend you fellas check it out.

#159 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (624 posts) -
#160 Posted by Kapura (1 posts) -

Hey all, my vods are up: Game 1 and Game 2.

Bonus postgame interview with procarbine (555 + procarbine) and Bzm Player (ITS YA BOY) ITS GOOD I SWEAR

I should be casting games tomorrow too

#161 Posted by Xater (25 posts) -

GAF domination continues! :P

#162 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

Our first matchup of the lower bracket is about to start! Check it out at twitch.tv/ajamafalousify with special guest cocaster Blackmoore (Do_The_Manta_Ray)!

#163 Edited by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

Ok, that was a blast. We lost but had fun and learned an important lesson: one does not underestimate Meepo.

#164 Posted by EXTomar (4635 posts) -

If others haven't said anything I appreicate the effort you guys are putting into this thing. I can't play or even watch the matches live due to real world stuff but I still enjoy the matches.

#165 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

@haroldonvu said:

Ok, that was a blast. We lost but had fun and learned an important lesson: one does not underestimate Meepo.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Here is the VOD, by the way, for those that missed it.

#166 Edited by Wrayckage (2 posts) -

And since I was DRM's sub for the first game, here's the replay.

#167 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (624 posts) -

Aaaalright, girls. "Titanium Eagles" vs "The Brad Shoemakers" is up! Watch it here!

#168 Posted by Nubikal (105 posts) -

The coverage is good, but I'd suggest that the casters use the arrow keys for tracking the action, it makes for a much smoother viewing experience than the constant camera jerking that comes with MMB dragging. Might just be me that's bothered by it though.

#169 Edited by CheapPoison (727 posts) -

@nubikal: Probably better to just adjust the camera acceleration. Lets you react move and freely as the mouse allows but toned down up to preference.

#170 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (624 posts) -

With this latest set of games, Titanium Eagles have been eliminated from the tournament. I'd like to, behalf on everyone involved, thank them for participating. We all hope to see 'em sign up for the next tournament once that comes rolling around.

I encourage everyone to give them your best wishes, either here or if you happen upon them sometime.

#171 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

@nubikal said:

The coverage is good, but I'd suggest that the casters use the arrow keys for tracking the action, it makes for a much smoother viewing experience than the constant camera jerking that comes with MMB dragging. Might just be me that's bothered by it though.

Unfortunately I vastly prefer MMB to using keys when casting (I use edge pan when playing). MMB allows me to make fine tuned adjustments during teamfights that arrow keys or edge pan simply don't allow.

#172 Posted by ellenPudge (9 posts) -

Omg that reward is the best reward ever!!

WE GOTTA WIN THIS.

#173 Edited by CheapPoison (727 posts) -

@ratfoot: @akd: @sixghost: @haroldonvu: @finlayheslop: @eagle6002: @wunder_: Not too be a bother but just putting up a reminder that if you have time where your team can play, please put them up in the googledoc you guys. Would make scheduling easier for all parties involved.

Blackmoore/Do_The_Manta_Ray will not be present during the week starting tomorrow(should be back Friday). Seeing i can't edit the thread the schedule can be found here. (to be updates as soon as more games are played. With Mongolian Death Worm vs JUST GOTTA BELIEVE coming up on the weekend, and with any luck The Brad Shoemakers vs /d2g/ Ocelots and Me He vs the winner of tonights match of That's Million Pucks vs Stupid Fat Hobbits.

As well as the Lower Bracket, which will hopefully see its second game over the weekend of scheduling allows. So look out for that.

#174 Edited by Atomicvideohead (43 posts) -
#175 Posted by EXTomar (4635 posts) -

A double grudge grudge match!

#176 Edited by Anbokr (9 posts) -

Just wanted to say thanks to Blackmoore and co. for organizing this tournament and all the great casters for making it a blast. Fun tourney so far.

#177 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

The games were really fun, shame about game 3 (although doom was about to get a 15 min cuirass). WP Hobbits.

#178 Edited by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

I'm really, really upset about the way that Game 3 of SFH vs. tamEPuck ended. Did the most I could do as an admin, but the rules are there to be stuck to. I feel bad for SFH. Hopefully you guys'll enter our next tournament as well and the Dota Network doesn't decide to shit itself during your elimination game again.

#179 Posted by Merciless (4 posts) -

Regardless of technical issues we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Wanna send our collective thanks to the organisers/broadcasters. Really made it a fun experience. Needless to say, absolutely gutted about Game 3.

Well played tamEPuck. I will do everything I can to bring the Hobbits back for the next tourney. Looking forward to the rest of the tournament.

#180 Posted by Niche (87 posts) -

After the disappointing end of game 3, I looked into how save games work. It turns out that private lobby games automatically save and can be loaded when creating a lobby. I have a save from 13 mins into the game and the score was 2-5. Not sure how reliable these saves are but it's worth noting in case a similar situation happens in the future. I would have really liked to play out the rest of the game, but Blackmoore is away for a few days and a patch might ruin the save so it's probably not possible.

#181 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

@niche said:

After the disappointing end of game 3, I looked into how save games work. It turns out that private lobby games automatically save and can be loaded when creating a lobby. I have a save from 13 mins into the game and the score was 2-5. Not sure how reliable these saves are but it's worth noting in case a similar situation happens in the future. I would have really liked to play out the rest of the game, but Blackmoore is away for a few days and a patch might ruin the save so it's probably not possible.

Yeah, I looked into it later as well and found out the same thing, which gutted me even more. I wish I had known that I didn't have to manually save so we could've tried to load the game again. I've heard they have issues with certain heroes (especially Sillybear, which we happened to have in that game) so I'm not sure whether it would've worked or not, but still. I wish I had known about it sooner, but at this point I'm not sure we'll end up using it in this tournament just because I feel it would be incredibly unfair to SFH. Hopefully it doesn't happen again and we won't have to deal with it.

#182 Edited by Wunder_ (1169 posts) -

@ratfoot: @akd: @sixghost: @haroldonvu: @finlayheslop: @eagle6002: @wunder_: Not too be a bother but just putting up a reminder that if you have time where your team can play, please put them up in the googledoc you guys. Would make scheduling easier for all parties involved.

Blackmoore/Do_The_Manta_Ray will not be present during the week starting tomorrow(should be back Friday). Seeing i can't edit the thread the schedule can be found here. (to be updates as soon as more games are played. With Mongolian Death Worm vs JUST GOTTA BELIEVE coming up on the weekend, and with any luck The Brad Shoemakers vs /d2g/ Ocelots and Me He vs the winner of tonights match of That's Million Pucks vs Stupid Fat Hobbits.

As well as the Lower Bracket, which will hopefully see its second game over the weekend of scheduling allows. So look out for that.

I have been. I put down a large range of time during the weekend (Like I was asked to) and nothing came of it. I've put down times from Thursday-Sunday where our team should be able to make it. Give me a heads up a day or two before and I'll confirm.

#183 Posted by CheapPoison (727 posts) -

@wunder_: I know, but i need times from 2 teams before i can lock something down. It just meant i didn't get anything from the other team. This is just a remind for everyone to put up some times. Admittingly it is directed at some people more then others but alas.

#184 Posted by Wunder_ (1169 posts) -

@cheappoison: No probs. Also GB isn't sending me notifications even though you're @ replying me. Weird.

#185 Edited by Vitor (2815 posts) -

Undone here - real shame about game 3 last night but it was a fun evening regardless. Would have been nice to play that one out fully just to see how you guys would have coped with a 15 min Cuirass Doom and Shadow Blade Kunka :P

Regardless, super well played first game SFHs and a well deserved win. Fuck Tree though, seriously.

EDIT: And I was NOT Stream sniping. Just saw the replay. Thought I'd point that out... In the final game DOTA for some reason tuned me into the casting channel after the 13 min rc.

#186 Posted by ellenPudge (9 posts) -

Cardinalsins / Mongolian Death Worm, can you guys get your available times listed soon? We would really appreciate having our game scheduled as soon as possible so we can make excess plans for social gatherings and whatnot.

Thanks dudes.

#187 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

@ellenpudge said:

Cardinalsins / Mongolian Death Worm, can you guys get your available times listed soon? We would really appreciate having our game scheduled as soon as possible so we can make excess plans for social gatherings and whatnot.

Thanks dudes.

I've been told that they won't know their work schedules and availability until tomorrow, so you should be able to expect their times listed by tomorrow or Thursday.

#188 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (624 posts) -

News is good, girlies. I'm back. And we have GAF vs MMM set up for sunday, 2 PM EDT. I'm trying to set up another game for this week-end but it sure does strike that very little has happened in my absence. Time to kick some more captain ass, I suppose.

#189 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (624 posts) -

Real short notice here; but we'll be holding two sets of games tomorrow. One high bracket as has been planned for almost a week, and a lower bracket game between "The Starcrafters" and "Arcanist", check out the schedule.

#190 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -
#191 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

Here's the second matchup that we had today: the other first-round matchup of the low-skill tournament between SC2 and /arc!

#192 Edited by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

@cheappoison: sorry I took so long to reach you guys, I had some major internet connection issues for the last 6 days and could barely check my e-mail. I'll update the document tomorrow but in advance I'm sorry to say the we won't be available this weekend and another player who is a biologist is going to spend the next 25 days in the middle of the rainforest so is it ok if we get a replacement for him? Under the 120 win limit, of course. Also, my apologies to @wunder_ and the Starcrafters if you guys were really looking forward to play this weekend.

EDIT: By the way, since there's a chance this will be our last match in the tournament I'll be using a Legendary Largesse and a Shopkeeper's Surprise, everybody that watches the matches on twitchtv be sure to link your steam accounts for a chance to get items.

#193 Posted by CheapPoison (727 posts) -

@haroldonvu: No worries, I doubt we could set up a game this last weekend seeing as the other game was just played. And we will figure something out with the replacement.

#194 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (624 posts) -

Alright, guys. I'm sorry to inform you that we'll be putting the tournament on hiatus for this week, hopefully to return in the beginning of next week. The events of the last, few days have left all of us distraught and while I initially claimed that it might be therapeutic for us as a community to delve into a fun activity together, I simply don't think that we're ready for that yet. Speaking for myself, despite having put on a brave face, I don't think I'm in any form of shape to be conducting games in the next few days.

Captains, please fill out the spreadsheet for next week that we might get as much action in as possible.

To ensure that nobody attempts to read between the lines here; we are definitely continuing the tournament at some point next week. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a weird workout/cry session to get through. God damn that bombcast.

Edit: @haroldonvu I'd also really like to point out how much I appreciate that gesture on your behalf. Stuff like this which makes all of this feel so worthwhile. Just make sure I'm there, haha.

#195 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (624 posts) -

WE ARE BACK!

After last week's tragic events, we decided to put the tournament on the back-burner for a while until everyone once more felt like to participate in a GB-Community event. I've gotten feedback from a lot of folks over the last, few days and the captains are all eager to play once more. As such, I'm happy to announce that the GB DOTA 2 Tournament is back on track.

We'll be holding two sets of games this week-end with the intention of rapidly approaching the final stages of the tournament, so you fellas will have a plethora of games to look forwards to. Again, for the lower bracket, please contact Cheap, for the higher, my own self.

#196 Edited by CheapPoison (727 posts) -

We are back part II : The revengening

This week we got 3 matched lined up, with a possible 4th. There will be 2 matches on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. One from the higher bracket and one from the lower bracket each day. So hop on over and cheer on your favorite team.

Lower Bracket

• "Arcanist" vs "Divine Rapier MILFs" - Saturday, the 20th of July, 4:30 PM EDT, 10:30 PM GMT-2(Paris time), Best of 3 (!!-Still awaiting confirmation on this-!!)
  • "The Starcrafters" vs "Matilha" - Sunday, the 21st of July, 7 PM EDT, 1 AM GMT-2(Paris Time), Best of 3

Higher Bracket

• "The Brad Shoemakers" vs "/d2g/ Ocelots" - Saturday, the 20th of July, 8 PM EDT, 2 AM GMT+2(Paris time), Best of 3
  • "Me He" vs "That's Million Pucks" - Sunday, the 21st of July, 3 PM EDT, 9 Pm GMT+2(Paris time), Best of 3

GMT+29 PM10 PM11 Pm12 PM1 AM2 AM3 AM4 AM
Saturday /arcvsDRM BSvsd2gloc
SundayMHvstaMEpuck Sc2vsMatilha
EDT3 PM4 PM5 PM6 PM7 PM8 PM9 PM10 PM

Or for a more complete schedule, that might be a bit nicer then a table here, i refer you to Giant Bomb Dota Schedule.

#197 Edited by ellenPudge (9 posts) -

Grant can't cast anymore??? :(

#198 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (624 posts) -

@ellenpudge: He will continue to cast the high bracket, but his contribution will no longer be streamed and will only be found as archives after the games have been played. He has been forced into this situation by his state of connection and he very much regrets being unable to continue live-streaming. That said, we'll have other streams up, and Grant will still be first caster.

Low bracket game between "Arcanist" and "Divine Rapir MILFs" is now up. Check it out here.

#199 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

@ellenpudge said:

Grant can't cast anymore??? :(

Slight update; stream seems at least decently watchable now, though the quality is really shitty, it's only 30 fps, it pixellates often, and I wouldn't be surprised if I end up dropping frames here and there during teamfights. I'm really fucking disappointed with it, because it's really bad in comparison to what it used to be, but I guess it's still about average in the grand scheme of things. We were going to try it out yesterday in the Ocelots game, but unfortunately they had to cancel. We'll be running it for today's matchup(s?) and we'll see how it works out.

For those wondering: I moved, and the best upload I can get under my current contract (which lasts for another 12 months before I can switch ISPs) is 1.4 Mbps. For reference, at my old apartment I was using between 3.5-4.2 Mbps for the stream alone. So, yeah. It fucking sucks, and I'm pretty upset about it. I was just going to quit, but the response I've gotten from people being disappointed about me no longer casting has led to me trying to power through it, at least for the time being. We'll at least ride out the rest of the tournament, provided the stream is watchable for people, and we'll see where we go from there.

#200 Edited by ellenPudge (9 posts) -

Looks like it's actually working pretty well grant! Completely watchable. Not as good as before, obviously, but not bad. Keep it up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.