Official Dota2 house league its a thing now

• 99 results
#1 Edited by rb_man (451 posts) -

Dota 2 league - what is it and why

This league is to help new players get into DotA and get some consistent play on GB for DotA, which we feel is at an all time low right now. We feel like this is a very bad thing and we want to do something to fix that. So with that we give you the THE GIANT BOMB HOUSE LEAGUE. What we are planing to do a Round Robin Best of 3 Captains Draft league style. Best of all it will be streamed here. Where people sign up solo or as a group of two and are assigned teams based on skill, location, and preferred position to play. Now some of you will be asking what is a Round Robin and Captains Draft.

A Round Robin is style of organized play where each team plays every other team at least once and if you win you get a point and the other team does not. At the end of the event the team with the most points in the winner.

Now Captains Draft is a mode that not all of you may have encountered. It is a mode where in a Captain bans some heroes and then picks the heroes his/her team will play.

Also some of you may be asking why we are doing assigned teams.We are doing this to make sure that we have evenly balanced 5 man teams to make for close and fun games.

Registration is open in till the 19th of January at 11:59 PM EST

When you sign up you must give us

1. Your steam info
  2. local server
  3. What you think your experience level is: New, Average or Experienced. ( Please be honest.)
  4. Two positions number you feel the most conformable with.(Use the list below to find out where your favorite heroes fall)

You can sign up as a two man group in which case we need both of your info in the same post.

1-5 Hero Types System

NumberDescriptionHeroes Like That
1A Hard carry, someone who can kill the whole other team. You know a hero who can carry his team. With enough farm.Anti mage, Luna, Phantom lancer, Lifestealer, Sven, Outworld destroyer
2A Mid laner some one with good rune control and can gank.Nightstalker, Beastmaster, Death prophet, Invoker, Templar assassin
3This is usually some one who can farm a solo lane with out dying or your 2nd carryBounty hunter, Windrunner, Nature prophet, Puck, Magnus, Mirana
4These guys are supports that get some amount of farm to get support items like a Mek or PipeChen, Enigma, Nyx assassin, Keeper of the light, Sand king, Undying
5Now these are hard supports they need Little to no items. So they can buy most of the wards.Shadow demon, Lina, leshrac, Crystal maiden, wisp, disruptor

Please note that many of the heroes in this game can play different rolls

RULES

1. You must be able to play at least one set a week a set is about 2-3 hours

2. The league style is Round Robin

3. Play fair and respect each other (Don’t be a dick)

4. Both teams captains will submit the match ID numbers and who won for each match played to @rb_man so he can shout cast the replays and update the bracket.

5. When you schedule matches, please inform @rb_man when it’s happening at least 24 hours in advance so he can stream it if he is able.

6. If you have an emergency you can have someone from the league sub for you. Please inform an league organizer as soon as you can before the match.

TEAMS

1. When you are assigned your team you should make contact with all of them and assign a captain.

2. Teams will be chosen by player skill and preferred positions of play.

3.Team captain will be in charge of drafting and setting up matches.(So you had better pick someone that can be on top of it)

If you have any questions please ask in the thread.

Side Note:

We have no Prizes but if someone wants to give us one we will hand it out.

Also if anyone wants to make us a better banner go for it.

#2 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Steam name: manhunt360

Local server: US East

Average

1 and 5

#3 Edited by Vitor (2789 posts) -

Do I sign up here?

1.Steam ID: UndoneBahamut

2.Server: EU West

3. Experienced

4. Support and Hard Carry

Also, Tide should be banned ahead of the games. Just saying...

#4 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@Vitor: Ya you sign up in here

#5 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

@Vitor: Yep you are in now

Also if we were going to do that we should just perma ban TA :P

#6 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4036 posts) -

Baby Choo Choo

US East

Average

3/4

#7 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Steam ID : Mrskidders1983

Server : EU West

Average

4 and 5

#8 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Fuck yeah!

1. SteamID: Rattle618

2. Server: South America I suppose, but I never play there cause people here suck. US East and West is where I play.

3. New.

4. 2 and 4 maybe?

#9 Posted by Shibboleth (17 posts) -
  1. Shibboleth
  2. US East
  3. New to Average (50-75 games I think)
  4. 4 and 5
#10 Posted by Acura_Max (46 posts) -

1. Steam Id: Acura_Max

2. US East

3. New

4. 4 and 3?

#11 Posted by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -

Steam ID: TobbRobb

Server: Europe

Skill: Experienced League player, a little lacking in hero knowledge. Over average I'd say.

All roles, I'm not 100% used to jungling though. Still, can kick some ass with Lycan if I need to.

#12 Posted by Vitor (2789 posts) -

@rb_man said:

TA's fine. PL is NOT. Just had him carry 3 games against me and he's impossible to counter in pub games. Seriously annoying.

#13 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

@Vitor said:

@rb_man said:

TA's fine. PL is NOT. Just had him carry 3 games against me and he's impossible to counter in pub games. Seriously annoying.

God that makes me think back to when he came out and everyone thought he was shit

#14 Posted by DoC (16 posts) -

1) CardinalSins

2) US East

3) Experienced

4) 1 2

#15 Posted by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -

This talk about perma bans might actually be a good idea. Some heroes are just plain unfair against new players... Tide can just fuck a team completely, Bounty Hunter is bullshit in semi competent hands, etc.

I'm just saying some ground rules might make it more fun/fair. But I don't care either way really, so up to you guys.

#16 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

This talk about perma bans might actually be a good idea. Some heroes are just plain unfair against new players... Tide can just fuck a team completely, Bounty Hunter is bullshit in semi competent hands, etc.

I'm just saying some ground rules might make it more fun/fair. But I don't care either way really, so up to you guys.

I really don't know about this because then it becomes well do we ban pub stomp heroes or what is OP in like pro hands. Then how many do we ban 4, 10, 15 it could do down hill fast. That's what I wanted to capt mode with like 2 older players to help stop stuff like that happening. Like in truth if we going to the point we were going for perm bans we should have done Random Draft. If we see on hero carrying all of the games some thing may have to be done.

#17 Posted by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -

@rb_man: Well banning after pro player terms is kind of silly, because no one here is a pro player. But I legitimately think some of the pubstomp ones could end up being unfun.

Oh well, let's just roll and see if something seems off. As said, I'm fine without banned heroes.

#18 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -

I don't plan on participating, but permabanning heroes is just about the dumbest thing. Use your team bans if you don't like playing against a hero; that's what they're for.

#19 Edited by Mitch0712 (433 posts) -

1.Steam ID: Mitch0712

2.Server: US EAST

3. Average-Experienced

4. #1 and #3

I'm best with fast acting heroes, I'm all about those Agility heroes! But I can play Support with Intelligence heroes too if need be. I suck with Strength heroes.

#20 Posted by TheWadeBrigade (53 posts) -

Sign me up sounds like a good time.

Steam ID: WadeBrigade

Server: US East

Skill:Average

Role: Most experienced with 2 or 3 but willing to play anything.

#21 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

Not bad in 4 hours we have got 11 players and 250 views. Which is great at this rate we will have 4-8 teams or even more keep it up.

#22 Posted by Blommer4 (174 posts) -

blommer

EU west

Experienced

1/4

#23 Edited by WhiteBrightKnight (166 posts) -

Sign me up:

Steam ID: Superfluous

Server: US East but under 100 ping in EU and US West

Skill: Average

Role: 3/5 though I feel good about anything but 2

Also there's the steam Giant Bomb PC Gaming Group that has its on mumble channel if people don't want to rely solely on steam chat.

Edited for dotabuff: http://dotabuff.com/players/70179767

#24 Posted by IroN1c (279 posts) -
#25 Edited by JukeboxJoe (242 posts) -

Sign me up!

Steam ID: Jukebox Joe

Server: EU West

Skill: New-Average

Role: 2-5, probably better as support since I'm newer but can play a few 2 or 3 position heroes

https://dotabuff.com/players/39791300

#26 Posted by pokeanerd (1 posts) -

Haha

Steam ID: pOke_A_neRd

Skill: New

Role: 1 or 3

#27 Posted by twigger89 (275 posts) -

Me and a friend will sign up

Steam ID Me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/twigger/

Steam ID Friend: http://steamcommunity.com/id/counterterrorist/

Server US East and West for both of us

Skill level for me is experienced

Skill level for him is average

Roles for me: 2 and 3

Roles for him 1 and 3

#28 Posted by Crunchman (369 posts) -

Steam info: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Oserotto

Skill: New to Average

Role: 1, 4, and 5 (I guess?)

#29 Posted by McGrittles (92 posts) -
#30 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

I can't commit for anything but if I am online I can fill a spot for a missing person if needed.

Steam: MrSkeleton

Server: US East, EU east/west

Skill: experienced

Role: 2-5

https://dotabuff.com/players/62376894

#31 Posted by Mageknight (117 posts) -

Steam: Mageknight

Server: US West (but I'm always playing East, so whatever)

Skill: Experienced

Role: 4/5

#32 Posted by hyst3ri4 (1 posts) -

ok im in heheh :D

Steamid: Hyst3ri4

Server: US east

Role: 2 or 5 but can do any

#33 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

Steamid: eric (im always in the GB channel if you cant figure out which eric I am on steam)

Server: US east 

Skill: experienced 

Role: 1, 4 

#34 Posted by EpicVandal (67 posts) -
#35 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

This is going great with over 25 people in half a day. We now have 5 teams this is going better then I ever thought we may have over 10 teams. I AM SOOOO HAPPPY FOR ALL DA DOTAS. :D

#36 Posted by FirePrince (1762 posts) -

Steam ID: fireprince96

Server: EU East

Role: 1 to 5 ( Besides Lycan, Invoker, and to some extent Pudge)

Also, could we have these things happening in the weekends? I guess more people would be available.

#37 Edited by Hungry (161 posts) -

I have to agree with everyone saying perma-banning heroes is dumb. Let the only permanent ban be the heroes not yet allowed in Captain's Mode yet.

Also, before I completely commit how much time do we have between teams being assigned and the required number of games ticking up? I think it is a little crazy to expect teams to coordinate and get a good flow if we are assigned a team, and then don't have a week or two to try and get a couple of games in to practice and feel each other out (in the non-sexiest way possible).

#38 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

@FirePrince: Well the way we are doing it when you have your team and pick your capt they make times to play other teams. There is not set times for the matches of now you just have to play at least one team a week.

#39 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

@Hungry said:

I have to agree with everyone saying perma-banning heroes is dumb. Let the only permanent ban be the heroes not yet allowed in Captain's Mode yet.

Also, before I completely commit how much time do we have between teams being assigned and the required number of games ticking up? I think it is a little crazy to expect teams to coordinate and get a good flow if we are assigned a team, and then don't have a week or two to try and get a couple of games in to practice and feel each other out (in the non-sexiest way possible).

Like look the hero thing is not going to happen. Unless some thing hell of crazy happens like the Sun goes to a drive in movie. As for the time window after sign ups are over on the 19th teams will be assigned on the 20th at noon EST. So we are planing to to open the league play some were from the 23th - 25th (I will know closer to the end of sign ups). But keep in mind we are doing this for 2 reasons to have some fun and spread DotA 2 all over GB and get more GB players to be more active. I hope that is to your liking. :D

#40 Posted by GlenTennis (3143 posts) -

Sure

Hotcheesebandit007

US West

Experienced?

Can play all roles.

#41 Posted by bi0nic (13 posts) -

I'm pretty much a total noob (only been playing about 2 weeks), but I'm eager to learn from some like-minded duders.

1. bi0nic101
  2. EU West
  3. Definitely New
  4. Not too sure on this one. I've solely been playing Drow as a Carry/Semi-Carry, just while I've been learning the ropes. I understand the different roles (to an extent) but I've only just started messing around with some other heroes.
#42 Posted by Optix12 (571 posts) -

Played 3 bot games on easy so im basically brand new to this game (although im an avid LoL player, there is major differences)

Figure this is a good way to learn Dota and get experience out of it.

Name: Optix101 (i think)

EU West i guess, never looked but if i haven't changed this then surely EU West.

New

4 or 5 is safest i bet (I play mid in LoL but not once have i done it in Dota)

#43 Posted by Deusx (1879 posts) -

I would have loved this if it was organized like a year ago. Now I just don't want to play that game anymore.

#44 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

While i think this is a good idea, in my opinion, the disparity between skills levels is going to be large. Not sure how the balancing and team creation will go, but hopefully it works out.

#45 Posted by Systemy (9 posts) -

Steam ID : Systemy

Server : EU West

Skill : Average

Role : 5 and 2, but i can play the other roles fairly well.

#46 Posted by Hungry (161 posts) -

@The_Drizzle said:

While i think this is a good idea, in my opinion, the disparity between skills levels is going to be large. Not sure how the balancing and team creation will go, but hopefully it works out.

Yeah I am a little worried about that as well. Considering the average skill level of the people who all played on Saturday I feel like there are some teams that are going to be entirely reliant on how the "best" person on their team plays a position and how they lord over the less experienced players.

#47 Posted by Drakoji (216 posts) -

King mob on steam, us east.

Skill average. I'm okay at everything but initiators.

#48 Posted by XantaKlawz (18 posts) -

@rb_man: sign me up also

Steam ID: XantaKlawz

Skill: Average (as support), New for everything else.

Role: 4 & 5 (but trying to branch out and learn carries these days).

#49 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

Man this is going even better then I could have hoped in 2 days we have had over 30 sign ups THAT'S 6 WHOLE TEAMS. This is shaping up to be a even greater event then I have dreamed. In truth I thought we would get 2-3 teams 4 at the most. So keep up the good work guys.

#50 Edited by IndieFinch (242 posts) -

This sounds like it could be great fun, count me in.

Steam ID: Indiefinch (Finch in dota)

Server: US W

Skill: Experienced

Role: 2 and 3 are my main, however can play the other roles decently if the team needs it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.