Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Recent GB Party Games

dusker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By dusker

Normally, I play DOTA alone. There are a few reasons, but the biggest is that I feel a lot of stress to perform when I'm in a party, and I really don't like letting my team down. If I'm playing alone, I don't know anyone at all, and while I try my best, if I fail, I can just mute everyone and feel a bit less bad for playing poorly.

Just now, I was invited to a GB party group, because I'm around on DOTA frequently, and I'm friends with a few people who play often. I didn't ask to be invited, and I normally turn down the invite, but I had two games ahead of me and was just starting to play and thought "well, at least for these two games, I won't be flamed".

First game, golden, I think we raxed at 25 minutes or something, and just blew up the other team (and I did a really good job staying alive in the offlane, 1v3). I should've been more complimentary to my team, but instead I noticed I'd reach 420 wins, and, well, I joked about blunts. One person commented that that was funny. Maybe it wasn't, but there were 5 people on my team, and they said nothing (and had been fairly silent most of the game).

In our second game, I ended up feeding a bit early, and generally our lanes went a lot worse (I was playing Undying). I started to get a bit flustered, because I was trying to juggle my mek, arcanes and glimmer cape, and team fights were hard. Anyway, I may have messed up a few times (I had reasons, but it doesn't matter much). Instead of being bros and not taking it too badly, one dude on our team starts flaming me, telling me I'm clueless, that I should drop my stone sooner etc.

I don't think he played all that well, honestly. Regardless, that guy has 4x as many wins as me. I'm not going to be as good, and I didn't misrepresent my skills. But instead of commenting on a stupid joke, or being nurturing, this dick decided to flame his teammate.

I play with GB people to *avoid* this bullshit. And I'm not going to name names, but I hope the dude who flamed me in the game reads this and understands that his behaviour reflects really poorly on the GB community, and on the DOTA community, and *even if* I suck (which, let's face it, I do), maybe assume that your teammates feel *worse than you do about failing* than assuming that they're sitting around feeling stoked about all the mistakes they're making.

Avatar image for finnianwhitefir
    FinnianWhitefir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeah, so much the same. I play a lot, I end up queueing solo 75% of the games, and honestly 30% of the games I end up in just make me want to delete DOTA. People flaming, people arguing over lanes, feeling worthless inside the game because the other team is better. They really make me question my life choices and think I'd have been better off watching TV that whole time. Part of it is that there's no easy exit from a lost game. If you recognized in 20 minutes that the game was done and could GG, it'd be good. But you have to try and play for another 20 minutes. I kind of wish I had 4 other people to constantly group up with.

Then there's 40% of games where it's just okay. Good fights, good tries, people mostly cooperate and I enjoy my time.

Then there's the top 30% where people actually talk, pump each other up, we just coordinate and work together and synergize and it's the biggest adrenaline rush to be a solo offlane Bristleback and risk everything and get big kills on them.

Part of it is that if you team up with people, you are matched by MMR. So if they are a high 4K and you are a respectable 2.5K, it's going to seem like you suck, and you are going to surely die to the 4K on the enemy team that they got matched up with.

Also, it took me too long on the internet to reach a zen-like place of "If someone is a dick, you can ignore everything they say as they aren't a rational/respectful person". Every few years you have to center yourself on that idea and this sounds like a good time to realize that and dismiss this person.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.