Saltydota.com

#1 Posted by aquacadet (233 posts) -

If you like saltybet, someone made a similar site for dota matches.

http://www.saltydota.com (a bit unstable right now) so you can view the stream directly at http://www.twitch.tv/saltydotabot

Obviously less crazy because of the slower pace of dota compared to mugen fights but I found it pretty interesting.

#2 Posted by squiDc00kiE (360 posts) -

Huh, interesting. Might check this out

#3 Edited by Benny (1953 posts) -

During the first 5 minutes of a match, you can place a bet using your imaginary saltygold using the betting buttons under the stream at Saltydota.com. It starts at 200 and slowly replenishes.

You slowly level and can put points into four skills to increase your minimum gold, allow you to cancel a bet, reward big bets more, or spam a giant trash talking message across the actual stream.

You’re betting to get more saltygold to bet more to get more saltygold for more bets. It’s just for fun.

Also, side bets (who gets first blood, who dies next, who gets rosh, etc) and a “store” you can use saltygold for extra swag while betting are in the works, but they’re not implemented yet. Matches are from the first page of the “watch” tab, but saltybot plans on mixing in some low-level matchmaking games too.

User ilovesharkpeople on twitch just posted that summary in the chat, looks interesting, has a lot of goofy sound board stuff as well.

#4 Posted by Chaser324 (6651 posts) -

Seems like an interesting twist on the SaltyBet action, but I don't see myself getting interested in it...because Dota.

#5 Posted by Subjugation (4725 posts) -

Saltybet + Dota = perfect. I find this far more interesting than some silly fighting game. Mexibeams? Always bet on waifu? I'm over it.

#6 Posted by Huey2k2 (492 posts) -

I like the idea of this, but I am not a fan of it being pub match based. I really wish it was 5v5 bot matches.

#7 Posted by chiablo (955 posts) -

@huey2k2 said:

I like the idea of this, but I am not a fan of it being pub match based. I really wish it was 5v5 bot matches.

But would people be patient enough to watch hour long bot matches though? It'd end up being people logging in, betting, then logging out for an hour.

#8 Posted by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

@chiablo said:

@huey2k2 said:

But would people be patient enough to watch hour long bot matches though? It'd end up being people logging in, betting, then logging out for an hour.

I think it's going to devolve into that no matter what they do.

#9 Edited by aquacadet (233 posts) -

They are featuring some of the most spectated games. Meaning in theory if you did it a lot you'd get to know the people and make more informed bets. With bots it would be a total crap shoot. Granted I think most people will just turn it on, bet and wait an hour.

#10 Edited by Huey2k2 (492 posts) -

@aquacadet said:

They are featuring some of the most spectated games. Meaning in theory if you did it a lot you'd get to know the people and make more informed bets. With bots it would be a total crap shoot. Granted I think most people will just turn it on, bet and wait an hour.

That to me just defeats the purpose.

What's the point of betting if you aren't going to watch? It's not like you are betting for real money. You get literally nothing out of it if you don't watch.

#11 Edited by ShaggE (6555 posts) -

Eh... sounds better in theory than practice, honestly.

Now, a saltybet for bot v. bot FPS matches would be fun.

Edit: Better yet, mix saltybet and VGCW.

#12 Posted by Huey2k2 (492 posts) -

@chiablo said:

@huey2k2 said:

I don't see why not. A huge part of the appeal of saltybet for me was watching the AI do stupid ridiculous shit that a human would never do.

Watching a bot match on DOTA2 would accomplish the same thing IMO, you would get to see them making dumb decisions that most normal people would never make.

#13 Posted by Huey2k2 (492 posts) -

@shagge said:

Eh... sounds better in theory than practice, honestly.

Now, a saltybet for bot v. bot FPS matches would be fun.

Oh man, a saltybet for CS:GO would be kind of amazing.

#14 Posted by Zero_ (1976 posts) -

Yeah, I don't think the format works as well for DOTA with the long matches. Also, the batshit craziness of MUGEN is lost.

#15 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (414 posts) -

30m-50m matches may test the patience of a betting crowd. I think one of reasons saltybet is so successful is the quick turnover. You can watch a bunch of fights in a relatively short amount of time, be up and down and up again all in the space of 1 Dota match.

That being said there are some interesting twists.

#16 Posted by TobbRobb (4752 posts) -

While I obviously see the point that long games won't generally make for good short burst entertainment like saltybet. But as someone who get's great joy just out of analyzing and predicting moba games on their own, especially when you don't know the players very well, just having that extra hook of betting fake money makes me want to watch way more dota. :D

#17 Posted by Shirogane (3579 posts) -

This might have worked better if they could do something like...

WTF mode + OMG mode + botmatch

That would give you all the insanity of saltybet in a dota game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.