Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Speculation : What Perspective Will DOTA 2 Use?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

As far as I know, we know nothing about DOTA 2 as of now, other than it will be revealed at GamesCom with 'The International' dubbed tournament for a 1-million dollar prizemoney. I'm one of those guys who hopes a DOTA games takes the jump from the classic RTS view to something closer to home. 3rd Person Action or even First Person Shooter gameplay mixed with DOTA-style mechanics. I remember to have played something DOTA-esque on my collage's outdated MACs over a decade ago. A 2D LAN game with 2 player controlled helicopters fighting against each other and trying to destroy the other player's slowly advancing ground troupes before they reach the own home base. It already was a hoot back then. Competitve RTS-style gameplay ain't my thing, but as a core-concept, I adore DOTA.

So what do you think? Will my hopes be heard and will DOTA 2 be something other than a competitive RTS with a tonne of classic action RPG gameplay at its core?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By DonPixel

naaaa you don't understand how DOTA works if you seriously think you can first person it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

There have been plenty of closed beta leaks and none of them said anything about a different perspective.

Also, @DonPixel said:

naaaa you don't understand how DOTA works if you seriously think you can first person it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

By the way, here's a bunch of leaked shit from over a month ago.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli
    @DonPixel said:

There's 3 streets on which AI controlled dudes are going after the other team's ancient. You have to protect your dudes and kill the other team's dudes whilst fighting against the other team too and leveling via killing creeps and shit. The team destroying the other team's ancient wins. Never cared to play the game, but many of my MMORPG acquaintances favored it over WoW-PvP. I do my PvP in Battlefield and such. Always liked the idea of it though.

I don't trust anybody who says something can't be done. Everything can be done. It's easier to do something when you know why something cannot be done. Just rectify the issue. I cannot see a reason why the DOTA-formula wouldn't get along famously with 3rd Person Action or First Person Shooting.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz
    @DonPixel said:

I thought MNC worked well enough.   Oh wait that's third person NVM!
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli

Anarchy Reigns would make a splendid 3rd Person Action DOTA-style game with some minor tweaks...

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DonPixel

@Seppli: Well it would work like WoW PvP with towers and minions and the whole strategy layer would be lost or would be unnecessary messy. Many people keep saying it's like and RTS with RPG and pvp etc.. at the end DOTA or MOBA games are strategy games and such games work well with top down/isometric view for many reasons.

Also It can be done and it was already done, Did you ever play Sacrifice?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seppli
    @DonPixel said:

Imagine a 4 vs 4 Battlefield 3 mode on a vehicle-centric map. 3 streets on which AI armor and infantry and such progresses. Players kill each other and AI for credits to spend on vehicle spawns and upgrades.

INSTANT CLASSIC
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DonPixel

@Marz said:

@DonPixel said:

I thought MNC worked well enough. Oh wait that's third person NVM!

It goes way back with Sacrifice, But anyway you guys loosing the point MOBA games are highly competitive a top down/isometric perspective gives you a wide view of what's going on. That usually it's pretty important in an strategy game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli
    @Marz said:
    @DonPixel said:

God I forgot Monday Night Combat. Always wanted to try that. Too bad I abandoned XBL Gold for free2play PSN before I had the chance to try it. Might make time for it, if it makes it to PSN.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seppli
    @DonPixel said:

@Marz said:

@DonPixel said:

It goes way back with Sacrifice, But anyway you guys loosing the point MOBA games are highly competitive a top down/isometric perspective gives you a wide view of what's going on. That usually it's pretty important in an strategy game.

I'd have way more perspective sitting in a chopper or on a dragon's back flying high above the map. Playing in 3rd or 1st person perspective.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By JP_Russell

I would personally speculate that Valve made Alien Swarm at least partially to get their feet wet in making a game in that perspective on the Source Engine, for the benefit of DOTA 2.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DonPixel

@Seppli said:

@DonPixel said:

@Marz said:

@DonPixel said:

I'd have way more perspective sitting in a chopper or on a dragon's back flying high above the map. Playing in 3rd or 1st person perspective.

Mmmkey? Anyway point taken perhaps some studio out there try it and it's successful, It's an interesting concept I give you that.

Going back to the topic NO, Dota 2 is being develop by Valve under the lead of Icefrog, Again if you know something about DOTA, it's story and it's community you would already know there is no way Icefrog is doing any kinky stuff into DOTA 2 He's doing denying (I hate denying) again for god sake.. you honestly think he's going wild with first or 3rd person perspective?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seppli
    @DonPixel said:

@Marz said:

@DonPixel said:

I'm talking about stripping out strategic depth in favor of 'depth of execution' FPS and 3rd Person Action brings to the table. Like I said, I'm not big into RTS. Never played Sacrifice. The last time I personally played something similar to DOTA was over a decade ago. A 2D sidescrolling LAN game on MAC. Way before DOTA even was a thing. But the core concept was the same. It was a tonne of fun even back then.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JP_Russell
    @Seppli said:
    @Marz said:
    @DonPixel said:

God I forgot Monday Night Combat. Always wanted to try that. Too bad I abandoned XBL Gold for free2play PSN before I had the chance to try it. Might make time for it, if it makes it to PSN.

It's on PC, too, if you're not aware.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Seppli
    @JP_Russell said:
    @Seppli said:
    @Marz said:
    @DonPixel said:

It's on PC, too, if you're not aware.
    I'm not aware. Thanks for the heads-up. For the lack of online-distributable cash, I hope there's a boxed product available... gotta check right away.

Nope! Hmmm... how far along are those 'Pre-Paid Steam Cards' I wonder?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow

First Person. Obviously. Via the barrel of a gun. it's a Valve game. Oh and there will be Parkour.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seppli
    @SeriouslyNow said:

First Person. Obviously. Via the barrel of a gun. it's a Valve game. Oh and there will be Parkour.

Like it would be outlandish to take all their TF2 experience and infuse that style of multiplayer gameplay and balancing into a DOTA-style game. You truely lack imagination.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Seppli said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

Like it would be outlandish to take all their TF2 experience and infuse that style of multiplayer gameplay and balancing into a DOTA-style game. You truely lack imagination.

I SUPPORT YOU SEPPO!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By nintendoeats

If they were going to make something that wasn't isometric, they wouldn't be calling it DotA. That name only carries weight with a group of people that would freak out if they made such a fundamental change.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By nintendoeats

@Seppli said:

@DonPixel said:

@Marz said:

@DonPixel said:

Wait, no. You didn't play Brutal Legend did you.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @DonPixel said:

/thread
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By endless_void

How the fuck could you make dota a first person shooter? Do you know how much that would alienate the fanbase?

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By ikwal

I think it'll stick to the classic perspective because dota would be pretty hard to play in 3rd person. But I do hope they give you direct control over your hero, allowing you to move around with WASD if you'd like. Because moving with the mouse is far from optimal, or maybe that would make it to easy to kite with ranged classes. Just a thought.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Seppli
    @ikwal said:
    I think it'll stick to the classic perspective because dota would be pretty hard to play in 3rd person. But I do hope they give you direct control over your hero, allowing you to move around with WASD if you'd like. Because moving with the mouse is far from optimal, or maybe that would make it to easy to kite with ranged classes. Just a thought.
    A DOTA dualstick shooter! You are a genius.
    Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jokers_Wild

I'm sure some developer will eventually make a 1st person MOBA. DOTA 2 will not be the game to do that. It's going to use the classic RTS perspective because, as the development team itself says, it's an action rts.

phonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phonics

Literally no one sane wants this game to be 1st or 3rd person. What a dumb thread.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

This perspective.

No Caption Provided
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

People are freaking out about CS. I can't imagine what would happen among the DOTA guys if they changed their hallowed game that drastically. They can get really scary.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By valrog

I'm pretty sure they won't mess with the perspective... Why would they? If they are going to add something never-seen-before-in-a-MOBA-game, it should be hats.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:

People are freaking out about CS. I can't imagine what would happen among the DOTA guys if they changed their hallowed game that drastically. They can get really scary.

I don't even want to think about what would happen...

Though if I had to guess, I'm pretty sure every game forum around the world would implode in seconds and bloggers would come out in droves to rage. Then they would hold an annual concert called Rage Fest except instead of singing, it'd be people getting up on stage and screaming for 4 minutes.
    Draco9898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Draco9898

"naaaa you don't understand how DOTA works." Period.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.