The Hero Select Screen

#1 Posted by Jokers_Wild (208 posts) -
#2 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -

OMFG I wants it now! Because this is going to take ma life away.

#3 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

its amazing how DOTA became a thing itself instead of *that* WC3 mod.

#4 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

When this comes out.. if it is the same as the WC3 versions.. then it shall take hundreds of hours from my life like the original has.. and maybe.. JUST maybe, i might delete the 40+ versions i have saved in my wc3 folder to finnaly retire from that damned game..

#5 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

Just wondering, since I am really excited about this game at the same time of not really being able to relate to much of it lately, why are there two sides? Will there be heroes that are similar on both sides so I don't feel jipped if I end up on one side or the other?

#6 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

This is weird. DOTA 2 is coming out later this year yet no official screens or trailers have been released for it with a big tournament being held within weeks, the game isn't out yet!

#7 Posted by Jokers_Wild (208 posts) -
@csoup: For story reasons. In DotA you could select all pick as a game type, which allowed either side to use heroes regardless of faction. I assume the same will be true in Dota 2.
#8 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

I seriously cannot believe that Valve was able to pull off a fantasy aesthetic so well.  The heroes just look amazing to me even knowing they are just small thumbnail portraits. 

However,  I can totally see them prepping the Dota store with custom animations and hats (I don't know if hats could even be valued as much here, but I guess if anyone's gonna try it, it would be Valve).

#9 Posted by Jokers_Wild (208 posts) -

As long as they keep the competitive spirit of the game alive (by not restricting players' hero selection like LoL or selling power) I'm fine with them peddling cosmetic goods. 

#10 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

I say the mods create 1 thread with DOTA2 footage. I'm sick of these "1 screenshot, 1 thread" things.
Other than that, pretty sweet stuff.

#11 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Dany said:

This is weird. DOTA 2 is coming out later this year yet no official screens or trailers have been released for it with a big tournament being held within weeks, the game isn't out yet!

I think the tournament is in just a few days? And Valve had an extremely strict NDA that basically would fuck anyone who leaked an image over big time. I think Gamescom is where they'll be really showing it off and announcing the release date etc
#12 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Man what cant valve do. Other than put a release date on games.

#13 Posted by nazer858 (131 posts) -

I've been trying to match some heroes to the faces but I can only put together a few, glad to see that a lot of my favorites are in though - and I'm sure they'll regular release more as the game progresses.

#14 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

im not sure this game is gonna take me away from  league of legends..... if it plays just like HON i wont be switching. it needs a little... i dont know something different

#15 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Same characters everywhere... Man.

I liked that picture better with Gordon Freeman shopped into it.

#16 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

However, I can totally see them prepping the Dota store with custom animations and hats (I don't know if hats could even be valued as much here, but I guess if anyone's gonna try it, it would be Valve).

It wouldn't be unprecedented, since both League of legends and Heroes of Newerth both have in-game stores for buying alternate costumes and animations, etc.

#17 Posted by Zolfe (262 posts) -
@nazer858 said:

I've been trying to match some heroes to the faces but I can only put together a few, glad to see that a lot of my favorites are in though - and I'm sure they'll regular release more as the game progresses.

http://i.imgur.com/vHDGp.jpg
people have already done it
#18 Posted by nazer858 (131 posts) -

@Zolfe: Awesome, thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.