The International will be televised on ESPN 2 and 3

#1 Edited by DrDarkStryfe (1148 posts) -

http://store.steampowered.com/news/13929/

This is pretty damn huge news. The International has the largest prize pool in gaming history, and a higher prize pool than just about every singles sporting event out there. The fact that Valve was able to get this on a mainstream platform is a huge boon to the genre.

#2 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2349 posts) -

Reminds me of when ESPN 2 use to air Magic the Gathering Championships

#3 Posted by Ford_Dent (349 posts) -

Did they run out of X Games to broadcast? I'm shocked.

I guess games are finally REAL SPORTS, you guys. We did it.

#4 Posted by FinalDasa (2075 posts) -
Moderator Online
#5 Edited by Nodima (1301 posts) -

Won't they be streaming this on their own anyway? Anything ESPN related is huge but the article makes it pretty clear the only ACTUAL coverage will be on ESPN3 with a likely 30 minute preview show before the final. I suppose XBoxes have a Watch ESPN app? I feel like Playstation still doesn't.

#6 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2349 posts) -

Seems smart for ESPN, seeing how right now in American sports there is almost no way them to fill all of their channels and ESPN 3.

The only ESPN 3 thing has a bunch of crazy weird stuff, like ultimate frisbee and stuff

#7 Posted by Dietomaha (114 posts) -

Oh goddammit, general forum.

#8 Posted by Nictel (2442 posts) -

D I G I T A L S P O R T S. We are now all officially athletes!

#9 Posted by mosespippy (4473 posts) -

I can't wait for SBNation to write about it in their EPSN3 Chronicles series. Their recent ones on World Team Tennis and Germany vs. Hong Kong in sixth division lacrosse were quite entertaining. But it also sheds light onto just what sort of stuff ends up on ESPN3. The International is now on the same service as Louisville Slugger Major Baseball Championship 10 year old division, STIHL Timbersports Series Championship pool B, and College Bass Fishing regionals.

#10 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3828 posts) -

@gorillamopena: What about them professional quidditch players? That's still a thing right?

#11 Posted by Shindig (724 posts) -

Pfft .... we did this 20-odd years ago.

#12 Posted by Itwongo (1246 posts) -

We did it! Games are the rillest

#13 Posted by FLStyle (4927 posts) -

Good job Valve!

#14 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3509 posts) -

hm. Not too shabby.

#15 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

Will they be airing live? I mean, the casters sure seem to swear a lot...

#16 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6012 posts) -

Huh, that's cool. I'm not into Dota, but maybe I'll watch it.

#17 Posted by mikey87144 (1807 posts) -

OK, that's actually pretty big news.

#18 Posted by jiggajoe14 (843 posts) -

Was hoping that it would end up on ESPN 8 The Ocho.

But really that's cool that it's getting any sort of mainstream coverage like that.

#19 Posted by flasaltine (1713 posts) -

Reading some comments on other sites I think the "It's not a sport" people are more abundant than the "It's not a game" people.

#20 Posted by Irvandus (2900 posts) -

I wonder what steam of the game itself they'll be showing. Makes more sense if it was the noob stream but that would also be kind of weird.

#21 Posted by Slag (4903 posts) -

Well it sure beats watching World Series of Poker. Are they going to be showing Valve's version or are they going to have their own production?

I could see this vaulting best kept secret Kaci Aitchison into a national job.

Either way Smart Move by ESPN.

#22 Posted by Korwin (3044 posts) -

THIS IS ESPORTS.

#23 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6168 posts) -

Comedy.

#24 Posted by Kaiserreich (745 posts) -

ESPN 3 eh? Didn't even know that existed.

#25 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (889 posts) -

Good to see that Compendium money being put to use for more DOTES.

#26 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2349 posts) -

@slag said:

Well it sure beats watching World Series of Poker. Are they going to be showing Valve's version or are they going to have their own production?

I could see this vaulting best kept secret Kaci Aitchison into a national job.

Either way Smart Move by ESPN.

If it is anything like the other deep cut stuff I've seen on ESPN3 they will just let others handle the broadcast

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.