Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Trolled by a Champion Skill?

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MAST

Trolling isn't new to me. Raging isn't either, especially in this genre. However, this is a new one on me. There is a champion called "Keeper of Light" that has the following ability: Recall - "After a short delay, teleports the targeted friendly hero to your location. If the targeted friendly hero takes player based damage during this time, the ability is interrupted." I had a guy sit in the base the entire game, and do nothing but cast this spell on us. Pulling us back to the base over and over again, and laughing at us the entire time over the built in voice chat.

I don't recall LoL having these types of abilities? Where someone could abuse it, and effectively halt my ability to play the game. This genre is, of course, a hotbed for ragers and griefers. Most people know that. In LoL, people usually would just grief by going afk, or leaving the game, but despite all that, I could still play. But here, DotA 2 is adding yet ANOTHER thing people can do to grief you, and in my opinion, this one takes the cake as it actually interrupts, or completely halts my ability to play the game.

There any way to counter this? Is there an option I can turn on to make it so another player can't effect me in this way? Maybe I'm missing something... All I know is I had a 30 minute long game where I could barely play at all. I can't leave (because then that would be marked against me). Sure, I could report the guy, but that barely matters. You report one guy, get him banned, and 3 more like him spring up in his place. So I had to just sit through the game, and take it...

I dunno, I'm kinda venting right now, but it was just extremely irritating, and from what I can tell there are lots of abilities like this in DotA 2. Ones that other players can cast on you, and effect you in some way. So no telling how many other ways there are to grief like this one. :(

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LikeaSsur

@MAST said:

Sure, I could report the guy, but that barely matters. You report one guy, get him banned, and 3 more like him spring up in his place.

Considering this is DoTA 2, it actually really does matter. I believe Valve was working on a system where griefers would eventually get put into their own little cesspool and have to deal with each other while everyone else plays nice. So you should really be more proactive in reporting people, it actually does help.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jazzycola

It happens in every MOBA game. Whether or not you have personally seen it in LoL or not, it happens. It's an incredibly rare thing to happen as far as I'm concerned. I've only had maybe 1 of the 50 or so games have a troll in it. And really if you end up with a troll in your game you could just leave. If you have sufficient cause to leave no one will report you(which really doesn't matter even if you do). I think it's a lot worse when people smurf cause then you're just getting totally out skilled without any real learning from it.

StaleTaquitos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By StaleTaquitos

At the top left corner, click the button that looks like a person with arrows on each side. Under the Shared Unit Control option, tick the Disable Help box. Also, I'd avoid referring heroes as champions in pub games or you'll get flamed.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By shirogane

Yeah, the disable help thing mentioned above is what you should do. There are many champs that can do this stuff. I once had the Tiny equivalent in HoN follow me around just so he could throw me into the middle of the enemy team constantly. And that's all he did the whole game until i turned help off, at which point he started doing it to others.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By MAST

@StaleTaquitos said:

At the top left corner, click the button that looks like a person with arrows on each side. Under the Shared Unit Control option, tick the Disable Help box.

Yaaay! I was wondering if there was something like that. Smart on them to put this option in. Thanks for letting me know about it. ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.