Valve's Bringing $1 Million (and Dota 2) to Gamescom

• 121 results
#51 Posted by Addfwyn (1922 posts) -

I can't see myself leaving LoL for Dota 2, unless they migrate more from the original dota formula. I played HoN for a while, and it is basically what Dota 2 sounds like to me: Dota with a better backend and nicer graphics. LoL made the formula a lot more fun, with champions seeming a lot more uniquely designed (I think the 'passive' system helps a lot with that) and a more wide-ranging system of itemization that gets away from the strength/agility/intelligence model. Especially as somebody who has a preference for casters, they scale infinitely better in LoL than they do in dota. Plus all the persistence features in LoL are a nice touch.

Finally, the LoL community can be a bit rough at times (though Tribunal has already seemed to help) but it is WAY WAY WAY better than HoN or Dota ever was. Every few games I end up adding folks to my friends list (even from the enemy team). That never happened in HoN or Dota, where 9/10 you will get yelled at by both your own team and the enemy team.

I'll probably check dota 2 out, they could do a lot of good with it. However, the original dota crowd basically hate change (even HoN was apparently too radical for some) so if valve wants to capture that market, they will have to change the game as little as possible. In which case, I almost see no reason to play it over HoN, if all you're looking for is Pretty Dota.

#52 Posted by Bravestar (381 posts) -

So that's where my hat money went...

#53 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

If the community continues to be a dick farm I could care less.

#54 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

The community of dota-style game players?

#55 Posted by probablytuna (3662 posts) -

SO. MUCH. MONEY.

#56 Posted by Wright (637 posts) -

1 million dollars for playing dota blows my mind.

#57 Posted by Twinblade34 (118 posts) -

So many hats!

#58 Posted by kerse (2113 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

Agreed.

#59 Posted by GnsDemon (115 posts) -

@Addfwyn said:

I can't see myself leaving LoL for Dota 2, unless they migrate more from the original dota formula. I played HoN for a while, and it is basically what Dota 2 sounds like to me: Dota with a better backend and nicer graphics. LoL made the formula a lot more fun, with champions seeming a lot more uniquely designed (I think the 'passive' system helps a lot with that) and a more wide-ranging system of itemization that gets away from the strength/agility/intelligence model. Especially as somebody who has a preference for casters, they scale infinitely better in LoL than they do in dota. Plus all the persistence features in LoL are a nice touch.

Finally, the LoL community can be a bit rough at times (though Tribunal has already seemed to help) but it is WAY WAY WAY better than HoN or Dota ever was. Every few games I end up adding folks to my friends list (even from the enemy team). That never happened in HoN or Dota, where 9/10 you will get yelled at by both your own team and the enemy team.

I'll probably check dota 2 out, they could do a lot of good with it. However, the original dota crowd basically hate change (even HoN was apparently too radical for some) so if valve wants to capture that market, they will have to change the game as little as possible. In which case, I almost see no reason to play it over HoN, if all you're looking for is Pretty Dota.

ahhhgreed. I gave HoN a chance a ways back and even played a couple games sense it went F2P. LoL is far better in almost everyway. They will need to add a good incentive to keep playing like LoL does for me to even give a damn.

#60 Posted by Brake (1099 posts) -

1 million dollars. What is that in hats? One unusual and a couple of vintages?

#61 Posted by steelknight2000 (447 posts) -

One mirryon bucks

#62 Posted by Pepsiman (2477 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@Scooper said:
That's million bucks.

I was desperately searching to see if somebody had brought this up and lo and behold, it lay on the very last page I look. Let it be known, folks: $1,000,000: that's million bucks.

#63 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

I think the people complaining about HoN and LoL players are becoming worse than the communities themselves.

#64 Posted by thedez (130 posts) -

Hopefully, that will be the release date as well?

#65 Posted by Kodo_Beast (131 posts) -
@ChineseTea said:

1 million dollars. What is that in hats? One unusual and a couple of vintages

#66 Posted by selbie (1903 posts) -

I could do with million bucks right now.

#67 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@Baing said:

But when does it hit Xbox?

Never and if it did it would destroy the the game as what it is known for.

#68 Posted by JetForceGemini (174 posts) -

Maybe Valve should be investing this money in fixing their awful Steam customer service... :(

#69 Edited by Kyle (2323 posts) -

@Pepsiman said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Scooper said:
That's million bucks.

I was desperately searching to see if somebody had brought this up and lo and behold, it lay on the very last page I look. Let it be known, folks: $1,000,000: that's million bucks.

Hahaha. Oh, trophyhunter... <3

#70 Posted by Lazyaza (2183 posts) -

I've been waiting for a good dota game since the original mod, if anyone can pull it off its Valve. 
That said, I would literally capture, torture and kill an entire village for a single screenshot of Half Life 3.

#71 Posted by Kazona (3068 posts) -

I knew I should have become a pro gamer.

#72 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

TF2 hat for pre-ordering. I'm calling it! God I'm good!

#73 Posted by Nefhril (72 posts) -

Don't understand why Valve is doing Dota 2, they should be knee deep in EP3 and HL3 :P

#74 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I hope Valve won't disappoint otherwise Dawn of War 2 will remain my multiplayer game.

#75 Posted by pubbles (142 posts) -

Can you imagine being the guy that fucks it all up so your team doesnt win the big bucks?

God damn, DOTA has the worst community too...

#76 Edited by notha (239 posts) -

@Vodun said:

joke's on you, this is gonna be f2p probably

#77 Posted by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -
@Lazyaza said:
I've been waiting for a good dota game since the original mod, if anyone can pull it off its Valve.  That said, I would literally capture, torture and kill an entire village for a single screenshot of Half Life 3.
League of Legends is substantially better than DotA, but if you want something more similar to the original, Heroes of Newerth just went free2play as well, its basically a nice looking version of DotA. A lot of 1:1 translations of heroes too.
#78 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -
@RsistncE said:
As long as DoTA is the home of all nerds who take out their sexual frustration on new players, this will actually be the first Valve game I haven't bought on release...
you're not wrong, the communities in these types of games are fucking atrocious. 
#79 Posted by rmanthorp (3948 posts) -
#80 Posted by Phonics (327 posts) -
@buft said:
@RsistncE said:
As long as DoTA is the home of all nerds who take out their sexual frustration on new players, this will actually be the first Valve game I haven't bought on release...
you're not wrong, the communities in these types of games are fucking atrocious. 
The DotA community is just fine once you get good and stop playing the lowest level of players who think they are good. Oh nvm that would actually require skill, better stick to consoles and talk shit about things I know nothing about.
#81 Posted by Arkanti (255 posts) -

@Phonics said:

@buft said:
@RsistncE said:
you're not wrong, the communities in these types of games are fucking atrocious.
The DotA community is just fine once you get good and stop playing the lowest level of players who think they are good. Oh nvm that would actually require skill, better stick to consoles and talk shit about things I know nothing about.
#82 Posted by Mijati (922 posts) -

@Phonics: How do you propose people get good if when they join games to try and play they just get constantly shouted at by the other players? Plenty of people would love to get good at the game but with the community as hostile as it is that puts a lot of people off. That's why I don't play HoN, each time I play I just got told I was doing things wrong and not using my abilities at exactly the right time. Wasn't offered any advice just shouted at "OMG YOU NOOB YOU DID IT WRONG!".

#83 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -
@Phonics said:
@buft said:
@RsistncE said:
you made my point, the community is full of cunts like you...
#84 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

1. Hats.

2. Sell them.

3. One million bucks.

4. Profit.

#85 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -
@Phonics said:
@buft said:
@RsistncE said:
You did a fine job at proving both of their points, sir.
#86 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

How many hats is a million bucks anyway? All Valve currency should be in hats, so everyone understands what we're talking about.

#87 Posted by lacke (360 posts) -
 I hope DotA 2 won't be free to play like HoN or LoL. I rather pay €20-30 for the full game and updates than earn "coins" to unlock everything or buying coins to unlock stuff which will probably be more expensive than purchasing the game, even at €50-60. Of course, Valve are smart and will probably follow the LoL model (and now HoN I suppose).

@clstirens: Uhm yeah... 

I agree that DotA/HoN/LoL have a lot of assholes but you guys basically said that they were nerds, idiots, scums etc and you're surprised he's offended?
#88 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -
@lacke: I'm not surprised that he was offended at all. Most individuals would likely defend their game in some way, but it's how you do it that matters.

His post, primarily the second part, was pretty much the elitist "oh, well it's just because you suck" attitude the other posters were lamenting.
#89 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@notha said:

@Vodun said:

joke's on you, this is gonna be f2p probably

Curses, you're right...TF2 hat achievements then!!

#90 Posted by lacke (360 posts) -
@clstirens:  To be fair, the posts he replied to weren't any better or even worse, in my opinion.
#91 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -
@lacke: Yeah, I'll agree on that one
#92 Posted by NissanSkyline (106 posts) -

I can only hope for good ranking system so i can play without fucking noobs and whiners. Thats the main problem in original dota for me.

#93 Posted by Cheesebob (1236 posts) -

@NissanSkyline: Aaaaand you and your type of people are the main reason I will never play a Dota clone or the original.

#94 Posted by ImBigInJapan (258 posts) -

Valve, this move is not proving to me that you want to expand the audience and aren't just going to cater to the gang of socially dysfunctional "elites" that populate the LoL and HoN communities now.

Valve games have always been an instant day 1 purchase for me. Not this time.

#95 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

I continue to have zero interest in DOTA-style games themselves, but anything Valve does I watch with great interest.

#96 Posted by NissanSkyline (106 posts) -
@Cheesebob said:

@NissanSkyline: Aaaaand you and your type of people are the main reason I will never play a Dota clone or the original.

i am ok with that.
#97 Edited by zaglis (910 posts) -

I was not buying games because of stupid reasons before it was mainstream.  (OLOL crap community trolol elitists)

#98 Posted by karatetron (692 posts) -
@Scooper
That's million bucks.
#99 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@NissanSkyline said:

@Cheesebob said:

i am ok with that.
I have been on both sides of the spectrum. 
Being pretty decent in LoL and since this week started playing HoN, I can say I'm all for segregation.  

On the one hand: 
Problem with LoL that I had was that, even though you are playing really really well, a single new, or just plain bad teammate can RUIN the game for you. There is no real genre where a teammate dying over and over can be so detrimental to your own experience. Worst that could happen in a shooter is that a guy gets a killstreak bonus of your teammate. That's not really comparable to gold+experience points. 
This is because if one of your enemies gets 'feed' by your teammate(s), it will not matter much how good you are. You will be at a disadvantage. 

And on the other hand:
The problem with HoN I am having, not knowing any of the Heroes, Items or enemy abilities, is that I am not good at it. 
If I would be thrown into a serious game (I have avoided this consciously till now), I would be a liabilty to the team.  
Most players do not bother to go into training and 'casual' games. This will usually result in Guy plays badly > Guy gets flamed > Guy never touches a DotA-game again. 

Long story short, NissanSkylines' point about good matchmaking is valid and should be encouraged by both sides, even the Cheesebobs of this world.

This has nothing to do with being "Elitist" or a "Noob". This is about not having your (or your teammates') fun ruined.
#100 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -
@Cheesebob said:

I wholeheartedly agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.