Valve's new game DOTA 2 announced

  • 59 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

...if it's more than $20 fuck it. 
 
Other than that, I am hyped.

#3 Posted by Necrotoxin (141 posts) -

I am looking forward to this after being hooked on League of Legends. I know Valve makes some of the best PC games out there. 

#4 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

Can they use assets so similar to the Blizzard original? I'm thinking of the Morphling in particular.

#5 Posted by Sammo21 (3211 posts) -

I can't imagine VALVE putting this out at typical retail pricing ($39.99 - $49.99).  I would say 19.99 will be what it'll go for, but what do I know :p

#6 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

Well Heroes of Newerth was finally starting to take its toll on me, so this is good news. If they have the same type of stat tracking that HoN has, then consider me excited.

#7 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -
  
@Metal_Mills said: 

*Not being a dick will improve your standing in the community

 
   
Stupid ass rule.
#8 Posted by yani (413 posts) -

   I've always been interested in this type of game but have been put off by players getting pissed at you because your not instantly amazing at it.  Maybe if they gave advice, rather than shit talking, new players might get better. Hopefully the coaching system can help out with this.

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

I'd guess $29.99.
 
@Raymayne said:

"   
@Metal_Mills said: 

*Not being a dick will improve your standing in the community

    Stupid ass rule. "

I think that's a pretty good rule; that was what I hated most about DotA and HoN.
#10 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Funny name... I will probably try it considering I have 1000hours in DotA plus Heroes of Newerth.
 
Edit: Oh snap... it's the same heroes and names and everything.  LOL!

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

The artwork is great!
 
Don't care for the game, I want more artwork!

#12 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

...if oj is an idiot, can we harass him more and more?

#13 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -
@Metzo_Paino said:
" Can they use assets so similar to the Blizzard original? I'm thinking of the Morphling in particular. "
I'm sure they looked into it a while ago and probably struck a deal with Blizzard.
#14 Posted by Bones8677 (3210 posts) -

Does Blizzard hold any rights to DOTA of any kind? Or at least are they capable of doing so? 

Online
#15 Posted by rhodric (281 posts) -
@fishmicmuffin said:
" Well Heroes of Newerth was finally starting to take its toll on me, so this is good news. If they have the same type of stat tracking that HoN has, then consider me excited. "
i really hope valve's servers/networking is good as Hon's. playing with virtually no lag is one of my favorite aspects of Hon.
#16 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Oh my god YES  this is going to be awesome. 
 
@KaosAngel said:

" ...if oj is an idiot, can we harass him more and more? "
I'm always OJ.  And Always act like an idiot to hear people say.  "Fucking OJ...".
#17 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Can i use tf2 characters? And will zues be in it.

#18 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@fwylo said:
" I'm always OJ.  And Always act like an idiot to hear people say.  "Fucking OJ...". "
Fucking oj.
#19 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

might get this since it will be on mac

#20 Posted by BeachThunder (11687 posts) -

I wish I was actually interested in this, because it seems like it will probably be a quality game. Oh well.

#21 Posted by august (3826 posts) -
@Bones8677 said:
" Does Blizzard hold any rights to DOTA of any kind? Or at least are they capable of doing so?  "
No.
#22 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

what is going on here

#23 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I'm all for this.  Hopefully it's just $20 bucks though, since, you know, LoL is free to play.

#24 Posted by ack (136 posts) -
#25 Posted by Spikester (90 posts) -

It is good to see Valve make new and original games, unlike Bungie.

#26 Edited by ack (136 posts) -

a little disappointed 
 
I'm a huge valve fan, and just now getting into DoTA games (LoL, HoN) and i was like "daaaaamn a dota game with a valve twist" but nope just dota  
 
just straight dota 
 
oh well i'll still play that shit 
 
eeedit: is this game officially "defense of the ancients 2" or just "dota 2", because all I remember them trademarking was "dota"

#27 Posted by august (3826 posts) -
@Spikester said:
" It is good to see Valve make new and original games, unlike Bungie. "
Uh. DOTA 2. Notice the 2 there? Also it's worth noting that there already two successor games to DOTA 1 on the market. 
 
And Bungie hasn't had the creative freedom to make anything other than Halo games for the last decade. They were owned by Microsoft.
 
I mean Valve is basically my favorite developer but let's try to keep it real here.
#28 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

ill get into it if the tutorial is good.  im hyped.

#29 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -
@august said:
" @Spikester said:
" It is good to see Valve make new and original games, unlike Bungie. "
Uh. DOTA 2. Notice the 2 there? Also it's worth noting that there already two successor games to DOTA 1 on the market.   And Bungie hasn't had the creative freedom to make anything other than Halo games for the last decade. They were owned by Microsoft.  I mean Valve is basically my favorite developer but let's try to keep it real here. "
I would venture to guess Spikester is trolling. 
 
Unless you are trolling me by pretending to not know he is trolling. 
 
wut. mindeff.
#30 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@Raymayne said:
"   
@Metal_Mills said: 

*Not being a dick will improve your standing in the community

    Stupid ass rule. "
More like a good rule. Now all the stupid fat ugly nerds sitting behind their keyboards will think twice before taking their sexual frustration out on new players.
#31 Edited by ack (136 posts) -
@DOUBLESHOCK said:

" ill get into it if the tutorial is good.  im hyped. "

  "Second, interactive guides will allow players to do more than just read a guide for their favorite hero that has been deemed helpful by the community at large. Valve plans to allow guide-makers to tie their work back into the game by doing things like highlighting suggested item purchases or displaying useful information during a match." 
 
i think having those beyond just a basic tutorial helps solves the problems of barrier to entry for games like this (games with a complex metagame like street fighter and starcraft)
#32 Posted by xyzygy (9890 posts) -

There was a DOTA 1? Never even heard of it...

#33 Posted by CitizenJP (1005 posts) -

Uhmmm awesome!!!

#34 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

wow valve can you just stop? like actually what are you doing? make episode 3 

#35 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

Very hyped for this
I am Giving everyone in here a "Highfive"

#36 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

I really hope they dont make it too much like DOTA, its great and all but HoN pretty much made a DOTA 2.0 and it grew kind of boring with such similar heroes and gameplay mechanics. Although LoL is a shittier game in many ways, atleast it is innovative and I was hoping valves project would have some twists to the MOBA formula. 

#37 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
@pwnasaurus said:
" wow valve can you just stop? like actually what are you doing? make episode 3  "
I think Valve actually enjoys driving Half-Life fans mad. I know I do. :D
#38 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -
@pwnasaurus said:
" wow valve can you just stop? like actually what are you doing? make episode 3  "
No please, half-life is a shitty series. Although their engine is superb!
#39 Posted by TaccyP (307 posts) -

DOTA was my main joint for a really long time, can't wait for this. Ultra stoked.

#40 Posted by Sammo21 (3211 posts) -
@scarace360: That would be pretty cool, Valve characters as heroes...lots to choose from too.
#41 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

weird 
 
never played dota.

#42 Posted by august (3826 posts) -

They hired the guy who was effectively in charge of DOTA like a year ago so this announcement was just a matter of time.

#43 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -

Holy shit.

#44 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@sammo21: And sam and max have to be in there to.
#45 Posted by MattyFTM (14340 posts) -
@RsistncE said:
" @Raymayne said:
"   
@Metal_Mills said: 

*Not being a dick will improve your standing in the community

    Stupid ass rule. "
More like a good rule. Now all the stupid fat ugly nerds sitting behind their keyboards will think twice before taking their sexual frustration out on new players. "
Yeah. I played HoN for a short while. The game seemed cool, but the community was full of elitist dicks, so I stopped playing. Hopefully DTOA 2 will have a decent community.
Moderator
#46 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@MattyFTM: Yeah that's the unfortunate bit, the fact that games like DOTA and HON are actually good but the community is what makes me never want to play them.
#47 Posted by raiz265 (2233 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" @RsistncE said:
" @Raymayne said:
"   
@Metal_Mills said: 

*Not being a dick will improve your standing in the community

    Stupid ass rule. "
More like a good rule. Now all the stupid fat ugly nerds sitting behind their keyboards will think twice before taking their sexual frustration out on new players. "
Yeah. I played HoN for a short while. The game seemed cool, but the community was full of elitist dicks, so I stopped playing. Hopefully DTOA 2 will have a decent community. "
That was definately the worst thing about DotA/HoN... 
 
Great games, horrible people :/
#48 Posted by Sammo21 (3211 posts) -
@raiz265: Yeah, but from what I have played of LoL, it's not as bad there.  
#49 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I hope they manage to somehow find a way to stop the community for DoTA and it's various clones from acting like a bunch of cock juggling thundercunts in this game. Because that is arguably the big reason why I have never bothered to continue playing League of Legends or Heroes of Newerth beyond the beta. 
 
I look forward to seeing the game in action. Those promotional images look might fine to me!

#50 Edited by floodiastus (1262 posts) -
@sammo21 said:

" @raiz265: Yeah, but from what I have played of LoL, it's not as bad there.   "

I agree, that was what made me switch over from HoN to LoL. I think a big part of it has to do with that you dont deny or loose gold in LoL, so being a bad player feeds the other team, but you arent nerfed into oblivion from dying 2 times in the beginning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.