Winter Update - The Greeviling

#1 Edited by Jokers_Wild (211 posts) -
#2 Posted by xdaknightx69 (450 posts) -

nice! they should really add these maps to regular games or variations of them atleast.

#3 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Great. Hopefully Eggs will start dropping again, and essences of course. Looking forward to the new event.

#4 Posted by Nadril (531 posts) -

Really looking forward to it. Diretide was incredibly addicting for a while, especially with the amount of items you got. I'm looking forward to getting another 3 pages worth of cosmetics, hah.

#5 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

I would feel bad if no one posted this video in this thread.

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I have no clue what this is about, after reading the page twice. I only play bot matches so is this even relevant to me or?

#7 Posted by fujimitsu (23 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: Did you try diretide? It's going to be somewhat similar.

It's a holiday themed alternative game mode that gives you tons of free items. Likely no bots though. But a lot more casual as people don't really care, they're just in it for the items.

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@fujimitsu: I didn't try diretide.

But that sounds decent, what's the idea behind it then? Still beat each other up or do we hunt presents?
#9 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

The even started. have fun!

#10 Posted by Rayeth (1051 posts) -

Greevil time! I hope whatever gamemode this is, it isn't as bad as Diretide.

#11 Posted by Blur_Fan (142 posts) -

@Rayeth: What did you not like about Diretide?

#12 Posted by Rayeth (1051 posts) -

@Blur_Fan: There was tons not to like. The mode had so many bugs I could barely keep up with the numerous patches to fix them, the giant 10v1 at the end encouraged players to troll by allowing people like Axe to just murder anyone at low health. Overall by the end of Diretide everyone was barely playing the game and mostly just farming items.

Hopefully this mode will encourage people to actually play rather than just farm items.

#13 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

This mode is fucking GARBAGE.

Even outside of certain heroes instantly killing camps, this entire thing is just fucking bad.

#14 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Game mode's still crap, but now I've made a dollar and a half selling the dumb shit it gives you for winning.

So now it's even dumber, but in a way I'm not sure how to communicate.

#15 Posted by IndieFinch (242 posts) -

@Terramagi: Really? I am loving it. It is a a fun mindless game to play and watch a whole bunch of chaos happen. Nothing better then seeing a big team fight happen on ice while everyone is sliding all over. I feel like Valve knocked it out of the park with this one.

#16 Posted by XantaKlawz (18 posts) -

I played two games last night. Still trying to figure out the strategy. What's the advantage of changing into a greevil rather than staying as your hero? Most of the folks stayed as heroes and I think switched to greevil only when low on health since the greevil has a separate health bar.

Also, should we open our greevil presents now, or should we wait until after the greeviling to open them?

#17 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@XantaKlawz: Greevil form is a lot more powerful than hero form, especially in the early game. That being said, if you have an Unusual you're going to get a ton of bonuses. As for the presents, I see no reason why you would wait before opening them (Unless you're going to sell them), it's possible they'll disappear after the event so be careful with that.

That being said, the mode is great and I prefer it over Diretide. While Diretide got tedious and repetitive, this seems like a good source of fun chaos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.