Impressions?

#1 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

So I just picked up this game from Playstation Plus. My history with Double Dragon is that I played it as a kid on the Master System and liked it but since I've gotten older I've started to dislike the mindlessness of beat-em-ups more and more. So I tried the game and man is it rough. It's slow, clunky, and boring. The game is hard enough that, in order to do well, you'll need to use the techniques given to you well in order to get a high score and etc. etc. But the controls aren't responsive enough to allow for this. What do the rest of you think?

#2 Posted by Swaboo (451 posts) -

I like it a lot.

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

@Swaboo said:

I like it a lot.

Yeah?

#4 Posted by Sackmanjones (4762 posts) -

Read its awful but got it free on psn so I don't care.

#5 Posted by HairyMike87 (1016 posts) -

I played the demo. Not really interested in it. The music is pretty good though.

#6 Posted by Neon_Knight (43 posts) -

Playing it solo just now it was pretty good. Imagine it will be great couch co-op. The humor and aesthetic is really paying off for me. Also the little love letter to 80s games stuff. For example, if you come across some doors that remind you of a Megaman game, you know what to do.

#7 Posted by Omega (836 posts) -

The lack of online coop sort of killed it for me.

#8 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I actually like it. I think WayForward may be able to bring back the beat em up in a couple of iterations.

#9 Edited by handlas (2762 posts) -

Tried the demo. It's a beat em up... thus it's inherently is bad. I like the art style tho. That's about all I can say for it.

#10 Posted by csl316 (9502 posts) -
@handlas

Tried the demo. It's a beat em up... thus it's inherently is bad. I like the art style tho. That's about all I can say for it.

Streets of Rage 2 disagrees.
#11 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

Its better then what I thought it would be. The game definitely has its flaws. But I'm still enjoying the game overall.

#12 Posted by rubberluffy (476 posts) -

I've only beaten stage 2 but I think it's fun as hell. Definitely want to play it with my friend, he loves games like this.

#13 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I think this genre gets a bad rap because of 2 things

1) It had too many entrants into the genre and

2) most entrants copied Final Fight, and Final Fight was never very good.

When you look at titles like Golden Axe or Double Dragon, there was tons more to do in those games than just moving in one direction and mashing a button. Starting with Kung Fu, the games emphasised quick and accurate button mashing, but also manuevering your character and using strategies to defeat your opponents. Double Dragon upped the ante considerably with lots of environmental interaction. It was the Duke 3D of beat em up games.

Later games in the genre focused on just punching people instead of all the other stuff tha tmade those games great, and as a result, that's what people remember about the genre. But there's still plenty of room for games to come in and do it right.

#14 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

Okay, I just downloaded it off of PSN and... MAN. I LOVE THIS GAME.

I was really blown away by it.

Yes, the controls are sluggish and the animations are slow, but I feel like this is what I've wanted out of a beat-em-up game since... well Double Dragon arcade.

Because it DOESN'T play like Final Fight, and the animations are so deliberate, you can actually play the game. That is to say, if you take a hit, it's your fault. It's not like other beat em up games where you just mash the button until the badguy becomes invincible for a frame and punches you out.

The design and the asthetic are absolutely fantastic. The retro touches are just enough to be great. The game has a sense of humor about itself that irreverent but not parody. The game aslo gets that Double Dragon took place in the future, but that it was inherently an 80's game and the style reflects that fantastically.

I was also really thrilled about the way the game has "missions" that you get your lives back after you complete. Essentially it's setting up mini challenges. This makes it a game instead of just a distraction that you can continue at any point you fail up until the game is over.

#15 Posted by Vonocourt (2168 posts) -

That IGN review seemed kind of vitriolic. PS+ member, so no reason not to try it.

#16 Posted by N7 (3677 posts) -

@JazGalaxy: My thoughts exactly. I've had more fun with this game in the hour and a half I've spent with it than I have with most bigger games this year.

It's fucking fun. And beautiful. And the music is great.

#17 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@Vonocourt said:

That IGN review seemed kind of vitriolic. PS+ member, so no reason not to try it.

The problem with that guy and his review is that he clearly seems to be an idiot.

There's a concept in gaming that I'm calling "engagement" that is lacking in modern games. So much so that many game critics seem to EXPECT it. It's a general attitude of "don't make me replay a scene, don't make me overcome a challenge, don't make me think, etc." "If don't get it the first time, the computer should just do it for me." The problem is, they never really want to be engaged in the game or it's systems. They just want to take a tour of the visuals the game has to offer and then move on to the next thing.

That's just boring, to me. Like, I couldn't think of anything MORE boring.

DGN's gameplay seems to be setup specifically to CURB that kind of gameplay, and that's why the guy seems to be upset.

#18 Posted by abdo (1044 posts) -

It's quite good. It does feel a little 'sluggish' when you first play it, but you eventually get the hang of it. I like the tapes system, makes the game slightly deeper than just punching everyone in the face. I've never played the Double Dragon games much, but I love Streets of Rage and the beat-em-up genre is one of my many favourites.

#19 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

Well it seems like most people like it here. I'll try it again and see if maybe I missed something.

#20 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (676 posts) -

I goofed around with it this morning. I'm about as bad at Double Dragon today as I was 18 years ago. So there's that. I like the aesthetic and music, though. I imagine I'll keep poking at it. Spending serious time with it doesn't make sense - not when I have Mark of the Ninja waiting for me.

#21 Posted by KaneRobot (1855 posts) -

It's not awful, but this is a 5 dollar game for me. Definitely one of those things you'll never pick up again once you've finished it.

Some incredibly corny humor that you wind up laughing at (and hating yourself for laughing at it).

Great music.

#22 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6162 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

@Vonocourt said:

The problem with that guy and his review is that he clearly seems to be an idiot.

There's a concept in gaming that I'm calling "engagement" that is lacking in modern games. So much so that many game critics seem to EXPECT it. It's a general attitude of "don't make me replay a scene, don't make me overcome a challenge, don't make me think, etc." "If don't get it the first time, the computer should just do it for me." The problem is, they never really want to be engaged in the game or it's systems. They just want to take a tour of the visuals the game has to offer and then move on to the next thing.

DGN's gameplay seems to be setup specifically to CURB that kind of gameplay, and that's why the guy seems to be upset.

You could just say "difficulty" and go from there. Game reviewers do not like difficult games unless there's already a bunch of hype surrounding it before it ever gets reviewed, then they change their tune (Demon's Souls etc). On the whole I'd guess game reviewers aren't all that competent in general, but there's probably a few exceptions.

#23 Posted by Redbullet685 (6090 posts) -

I wasn't even going to download it for free from PS+ because I saw the IGN review, but since a lot of you in here are saying that its good I shall check it out.

#24 Posted by NeoZeon (247 posts) -

Had quite a bit of fun with it myself. I got it from being a PS + member as well so I may be a little biased, but my friend was over and we must have played through it to completion twice at least on split screen.

There were some cheap deaths of course, but that is the price of the genre I guess.

#25 Edited by sodacat (217 posts) -

Review of the first 20 minutes:

The music is phenomenal. If this game doesn't get soundtrack of the year then someone was paid off.

The movement speed is really weird. I like this! DDNeon is not the same as every other game, and havign a fast movement speed would make the game kinda chaotic.

There are a lot of defensive actions, considering the genre. There's a duck (which, if timed right, activates a super counter mode), a roll, and you can still move up and down. I think a lot of the reason why so many people think belt scrolling games are hard, and why they are bad at them, is because they only ever move left and right and press punch Moving up and down is a vital defensive move that gets overlooked because it feels so weird compared to current 3D games.

The graphics are hit and miss, with a lot of miss. I still adore the style.

Seriously the soundtrack is amazing.

Yes there are "cheap" hits, but how cheap is that, really? If you got hit you got hit, and now you know that you could get hit. Everyone will get hit by Skullmageddon's (Skullmageddon! That is an actual name! Man!!) Surprise the first time, and the second, and probably the third. But it's telegraphed, so you know its coming, and eventually you figure out how to avoid it.

Review of minute 21 through 140: This game is so RAD. Also: BAD, but, the 90s kind of bad.

#26 Posted by dyong (331 posts) -

This game is amazing. Punching mailboxes for money. Endless palette swaps of the same 3 enemies. HIGH FIVES. This game proves that I can still have fun laughing it up with buddies and beer and Double Dragon.

#27 Posted by Soapy86 (2623 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

@Vonocourt said:

I know exactly what you mean. I first became aware of this idea of "engagement" when I picked up Demon's Souls. It was tough at first, but after I got used to it that game made me realize just how little the vast majority of modern games expect of you, and more shocking to me, just how passively I had been playing games for the past several years. I wasn't being challenged or engaged on any level. I wasn't even enjoying them, really. Just "experiencing" them. Demon's Souls made me remember that being challenged in a video game is good. Being cognitively engaged while playing a game is good.

Reviewers dismissively writing off games as shit just because they expect you to adapt to a different control scheme, or they're challenging, or because the game expects you to *gasp* actively play the game instead of letting it run on auto-pilot like every other modern game out there really irritates me. Unfortunately even the Giant Bomb crew are guilty of this a lot of the time as well.

To stay on topic, Double Dragon: Neon is great!

#28 Posted by aspaceinvader (257 posts) -

miss the elbow attack, was easy way to beat the original as it was a deadly attack. the music is great so 80's style and feels like its made for a movie.

#29 Posted by Brandino (261 posts) -

Downloaded it earlier today from PS+ and really enjoyed it. I was on the fence about it when i saw footage months back because it looked kind of ridiculous but after putting about 2 and a half hours in it i really enjoyed it and i am glad i got it off PS+ because i probably wouldn't of picked it up from word alone and word is pretty bad right now.

#30 Posted by awesomeusername (4219 posts) -

Got it for free on PS+ like some others. I'm not sure if I ever played Double Dragon before. The combat is slow and clunky like you said. I only like the colors and the music. Only played the first stage solo so can't say much about anything else. Oh yeah! I found it hilarious when Marian(?) gets punched in the stomach as soon as the game starts. It's so random.

#31 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

Played the 2 level demo and in a rare case of weakness, actually ponied up the loot when it said "Purchase the full game to continue". TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Music is awesome. Semi-remixed tracks from the first 2 (as far as I can tell) plus a bunch of new, fitting stuff.

The game has a more methodical pace than most beat 'em up but that has always been the double dragon way. The cheese factor of the game is an 11/10 which is to say its prefect in all the right ways.

I really like they way they took a lot of influence from the old games. As an example, the way they re-used the concept of the helicopter ride from DD2 (door opens and creates suction, pulling guys out the door)

to great effect in the spaceship level

It does get a bit repetitive, especially after dying towards the end of a level, but breaking it up over a few play sessions definitely combats that.

I'd say its well worth the $10, especially if you have a bro around to high-five with.

#32 Posted by wolfskind (57 posts) -

Played the demo for like 40 minutes yesterday.

I think the game is okayish. But the soundtrack is great.

#33 Posted by EightBitShik (1342 posts) -

I'm not liking this at all. I feel like they shit on my childhood *air guitar rift*. It plays very clunky, the characters yell out stupid shit like "I'm doing a somersault!" with a lisp.

I am liking the leveling system though. However, pro tip... don't go back to level 2 and spent 6k on 7 extra lives because the second you go back to the level select you are back to 2 lives and your money is gone....wtf

#34 Posted by Swaboo (451 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Swaboo said:

I like it a lot.

Yeah?

Yeah, I've just listened to the latest bombcast and i'm kinda dissapointed that Jeff did not enjoy it and so probably none of the crew will give it a chance. It's not a game for everyone, take for example the IGN review... that guy just sucks at the game because he keeps complaining about the difficulty.

I think it does feel like the old double dragon games with a few more options like crouching under enemy attacks to get an attack boost. In co-op the game is a bit harder but you can revive your bro and high five to get that same attack boost and even dodge some boss attacks while doing it. The bosses have a pattern so you can't just mash to beat them so the game is pretty challenging although there are a few secret areas where you can buy a bunch of extra lives.

It's got the same problems as old beat em ups like sometimes not completely lining up your attacks on the enemies and whiffing but that's how those work, I don't mind. I finished the game solo and coop on normal, it takes about two hours and a half to do so, then you can replay the game on harder difficulties while keeping the abilities you gained in your first playthrough.

Heres a gameplay video played by Maximilian and the voice of Dr Doom in his assist me series. They should have looked at the move list before starting because they are missing some abilities but its entertaining nonetheless:

#35 Posted by EightBitShik (1342 posts) -

I'm going to have change my thoughts on this game a little bit. It's still really shitty but I am enjoying it more I get through it with upgrades.

#36 Posted by Serpentenema (219 posts) -

I don't like the start up animation you need to do for running, and it is weird to press a button to do it instead of just double tapping the other direction, but it is a game I enjoy. Like I liked Scott Pilgrim as a game better, but Neon is just oozing its dumb cheesy style with the songs for each power up and the dialog that it makes me like it.

#37 Posted by mrcraggle (1979 posts) -

Weirdly enough, it's my niece that wanted me to get this. I played the demo before and I thought it was actually kind of cool. I don't have any nostalgia for the old game but I still like beat-em ups even if the GB crew don't think they work in a modern setting. I really like the art style and the weird dumb humour it has. I've only played up until the first boss but his voice was amazing and when your game starts with your girlfriend being punched in the stomach then taken away, why not continue with the silliness? It's harmless fun and I've enjoyed what I've played so far. It may not last for the rest of the game but those are my early impression. JazGalaxy nailed it with what he said.

#38 Posted by paulunga (2130 posts) -

Wow, I'm so happy this came free with my PS Plus subscription. I usually agree with Jeff's opinion so when he said the game was bad I was 1) suprised because it's a WayForward joint and 2) not going to buy it.

But I'm loving it. The game's humour is great, the tapes that upgrade your stats and give you different special moves, just the moveset in general, the Gleam ability. It also looks pretty good, though I like the 2D drawings in the menus and the backgrounds better than the 3D models.

I also always thought the old Double Dragon games were awful (even when they were still new) so good on ya, WayForward.

#39 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Honestly it's great fun. People who think it's too slow or clunky would probably get to appreciate that when you delve into the systems. The whole dodge, Gleam, parry thing is pretty fun. And the upgrade mechanic is also great.

The game oozes style and is a fun and dumb(In the good way!) take on the Double Dragon mythos.

I have a soft spot for brawlers and this one scratches the itch really well.

I was ready to dismiss this game after what I'd seen of it before it's release and Jeff's pessimistic dismissal of it on the Bombcast, made me pretty much not bother even getting the demo. Thankfully this showed up in my YouTube subsciption and got me hype.

As for the IGN review, it's pure garbage. I love to see how utterly savaged and bitch made that terrible reviewer is getting.

#40 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (961 posts) -

This game is fantastic. Played through it on both Normal and Dragon today, and got most of the way through Double Dragon. This is easily my favorite 2D beat-em-up ever, and my second favorite beat-em-up behind God Hand. The dodge mechanic is immensely satisfying, and the combat is great. I just wish they had online co-op from the get-go.

#41 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6162 posts) -

@rebgav said:

The basic combat gets boring pretty quickly and the occasional jump this gap which is the same length as your jump or walk across this platform which will eventually fall but probably not before you reach the other side bits seem utterly pointless. I don't know why the difficulty modes are locked up at the start of the game either, that seems really dumb.

Jump Kick much? The run button is unnecessary for 99% of the game. You don't know why the difficulty modes are locked because you don't know how the difficulty modes work, simple enough.

#42 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6162 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Uh, I'm saying that the jumping/platform sections are baby-easy and completely without entertainment value or merit. Hot tips not required, thanks though.

I know that the "normal" difficulty, which is the only one available at the start of the game, is not challenging and makes a bad first impression. There are plenty of games out or about to come out, I don't want to play through a mediocre brawler multiple times to unlock the better-balanced difficulty levels.

Well you could just play Bloodrayne Betrayal or the secret level if you want to see what the alternative form of Majesco platforming is. Have you ever accessed the upper sections of level 6? If the game did have difficult platforming sections (the falling platform sections are mainly just ways to access "secret" areas) with the relatively poor controls for platforming it would be kind of terrible.

Normal is standard beat'em up difficulty more or less, nothing is absurdly cheap, seems fine. If you still don't get it: the higher difficulty levels are tuned around you having upgrades, if you did them with no songs or upgrades everything would 1 to 2 shot you and it would take 50 hits to kill enemies. Double Dragon difficulty is one of the hardest regular beat'em ups made in a really long time without many bullshit mechanics and is pretty satisfying to beat the first time, the music kind of carries any boredom the game could have possibly had meanwhile.

#43 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6162 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

You mean "WayForward platforming," and I really should get back to BloodRayne, that game seemed pretty good.

I understand that the higher difficulties are harder and make more use of the upgrades, which is why I want to play them rather than the easy difficulty. That is very much the point. Having to punch-kick your way through the game once before really getting to the meat of it is a worse form of grinding than replaying a mission over and over to level a buff.

Level 1 on Double Dragon is completely impossible with initial stats. Clearly you haven't even gotten to the harder part of normal and you're already passing judgment on the game; you at least have to see the end credits in this game in particular to have any understanding of the majesty that is Double Dragon Neon.

Bloodrayne Betrayal is an enormous pain in the ass and kind of atrociously designed, that seems like its right up your alley.

#44 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6162 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Yeah, I just finished my first playthrough. I'm sure that the harder part of normal will be along any moment now. I apologize for sharing an opinion in this thread which was asking for opinions - and for attempting to converse with you like a human being. I'll just toss you a Pamprin next time, it'll be a relief for both of us.

Why'd you continue with such a trivial game? Just toss it aside! Battletoads exists, it's easily accessible by anyone with a computer and an internet connection! Anywho my best time through Dragon is 2:15, enjoy.

#45 Posted by GunstarRed (5480 posts) -

Only just played through this game today (with PS+) and it is fantastic, I feel a little like I have cheated Wayforward out of money for enjoying it as much as I did. Great game with amazing soundtrack and wonderful style. I have called this game shit in the past and I feel bad for coming to that conclusion before playing it. It really brightened up my day, I cannot recommend it enough.

#46 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

I'm just past the halfway point in my first playthrough and loving it! This game is just pure fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.