Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Double Dragon Neon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 11, 2012

Journey back to the bodacious 80s in this long-awaited reboot of the Double Dragon beat 'em up series.

Is a QL even worth it?

• 69 results
    mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mrcraggle

Jeff has been very vocal on his feelings about this game and I don't really think the others are fond of it or even care so I feel like a QL of it at this point is pretty much a waste. It will just be 15+ minutes complaining about everything that's wrong with the game and I feel like it'll just follow that terrible IGN review that game it 3/10 (it's much better than that).

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

No Quick Look is a waste.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

@Milkman said:

No Quick Look is a waste.

Agreed. I think the game doesn't deserve as much hate Jeff is giving it but I did get it for free so that kind of effects my opinion.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheHT

Even though I already downloaded it thanks to PS+, I'd like to know if it's worth booting up.

:P

adz117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By adz117

The quick looks of terrible games are often the best ones.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Phatmac

Don't watch it than. I'll watch it as I thought it looked alright.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By KaneRobot

The game stinks. Quick Looks about bad games are just as good as any other.

Zealousadonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zealousadonis

I think any video of this game hurts support for it. When I saw video of it I thought it looked awful, but it was free so I gave it a shot and actually thought the co-op was pretty fun. Wouldn't play it solo though.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bocam

The end of the game is amazing.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Having played a ton of Double Dragon with my brother as a kid, this game was freaking awesome. Kicking dudes out of vacuum doors, be they helicopters or airlocks, will never not be fun.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By falling_fast

no. if they really wanted to, there are a fuckton of great pc games out there to be covered that are more important and more well-liked than this piece of shit

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By colourful_hippie

They should do one but I bet people will continue to bitch about it because the tone of the quick look is going to be mostly negative if the past discussions of this game are any indication.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By captain_clayman

@adz117 said:

True that. Bad games are the most hilarious to watch, especially when brad plays them. watching brad getting frustrated is the best.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaLe

My favourite Quick Looks are those in which the shitting on of games takes place.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Catarrhal

I also downloaded it with PlayStation Plus, but my PS3 kicked the proverbial bucket before I ever had a chance to take a look at it; so, yeah, I'm interested in seeing it.

If nothing else, Gonzalo Arias' artwork is kinda cool.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Can I just ask what it is, exactly, that people don't like about the game? I really don't see what would piss people off so much when it's brought up.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By geirr

Why yes, yes it is worth it. It'll likely save me $10 to see it.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wjb

Considering people have been dissatisfied with their content output since March, I'd say anything is better than nothing.

And sure, it serves no purpose, but what difference does it make? People who were interested have already bought and finished it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By ArtisanBreads

They might as not do Quick Looks on any beat em ups because it leads to that same old Giant Bomb discussion. I can hear Jeff or Patricks voices discussing the hey day of beat em ups and then saying "this genre doesn't really hold up out of arcades" in my head.

Good times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Make_Me_Mad said:

this game was freaking awesome.

This is all that needs to be said really.

newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By newmarcom

The one good point this game has is the awesome soundtrack! I wish the gameplay speed was a little faster though.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zleunamme

Remember the times when they joked about doing a Never Dead quick look because nothing came out during the summer? I'm okay if they don't do it. They should just shoot Brad getting angry playing a game while Sara is fixing her hair in the background.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#23  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I wish they'd Quick Look the Kirby Collection instead. All the Double Dragon Neon Quick Look will be is Jeff complaining about how he doesn't like the game because he doesn't like beat-em-ups anymore, and thus doesn't like Double Dragon Neon, but instead he'll say it's because it's a bad game. There's no room to make fun of the game, it's a pretty standard beat-em-up with some funny jokes of its own here and there, and it's not horribly broken like Darkest of Days or Rogue Warrior. I don't know why they waited until weeks after the game came out to bother with a Quick Look, and I'll be upset when it inevitably leads to people taking it as fact that the game is garbage rather than seeing for themselves if they like the game or not.

Double Dragon Neon is fucking awesome, and people should try it instead of taking Jeff's word or that shitty IGN review that gave it a 3.0 because the reviewer doesn't like beat-em-ups. (IGN giving a beat-em-up a 3? Where have I heard that before?) That's like assigning someone who hates first person shooters to write a Call of Duty review, it doesn't do anyone any good. The demo is FREE, just try it out yourself.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#24  Edited By Dimsey

I loved the game, don't get all the hate.

Think it's one of the better downloadable releases this year, for sure.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By laserbolts

I like the quick looks where they clearly are not digging the game. So basically any quick look with Jeff.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By Dagbiker

I too think bad games make good TV, but I also think that the people doing the QL have to want to do the QL. Because if they dont then its just 15-30 min of pissing on the game, and every one, including the audiance wishing they where dead.

Such as Starwars Kinect, and Ace Combat: Assult Horizion.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By yakov456

Thought it was a slightly above average experience in terms of fun. But Christ is it ever hard. Music is the best part, some cool 80's stuff mixed in.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LikeaSsur

@adz117 said:

This man/woman speaks the truth. I want a Quick Look just because it'll bring humor to my day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Screw it. Matt and Woolie showed me everything I needed to know about this game

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#30  Edited By Slag

@LikeaSsur said:

@adz117 said:

This man/woman speaks the truth. I want a Quick Look just because it'll bring humor to my day.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
    deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had tons of laughs with my friends.

0$ and fun = win win in my book

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By DarthOrange

I'm sad we didn't get a FIFA 13 quick look. :( 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By Hailinel

The staff doesn't like beat'em ups, but that doesn't mean that the game is worth half an hour of hearing Jeff bitch about it while he and whoever else crack jokes about it.

Also, just because the staff doesn't like a game doesn't mean it's bad, guys.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By wjb

I dunno, maybe I'm starting something, but clearly we can't be that dependent on the GB staff's opinions? If Jeff or whoever dislikes something that some people think is "good," then why should people care? It seems some people like the game and have bought and supported it, so what difference does it make if Jeff dislikes it? Fuck Jeff Gerstmann t-shirt, then. Dude isn't going to change his tastes in games anytime soon. There's a huge world outside GB where people in the press like stuff that GB is not interested in. Explore! Dissatisfied with their coverage of Dark Souls last year? Well, there were probably dozens of sites that loved that game. And I agree, it kind of sucks that GB isn't into certain games or genres, but hopefully they could eventually hire someone to fill in the empty spaces (haha, riiight). In the meantime, I go to two other sites besides GB and listen to at least two other podcasts besides the Bombcast.

I understand it could be a drag to listen to two people complain for 20-30 minutes, but it's unfair to even speculate because they haven't even released the QL yet. Jeff clearly isn't interested in DDN, sure, but that doesn't mean he's going to shit on it. People said he shat all over Guild Wars 2 during its QL, but all I heard was him not really being interested in the game, at the very worst. He actually mentioned what he liked or what he thought was interesting/cool/neat, etc. I understand it's annoying when someone in a QL dismisses something, but it's a QL, not an official review. Sometimes I don't like things and I shouldn't have to experience everything the game has to offer in order to "prove" my stance.

Maybe I'm being devil's advocate here, but when is it "unfair" to dislike one game in a QL but totally "hilarious" in others? Is it some unmeasurable level of "good?" Because Double Dragon Neon or Guild Wars 2 are considered "good" games by however many people, then GB shouldn't do a QL unless they "give it a chance" and change their minds to whatever people want them to think? And games like Inversion are okay to rip apart because it's "bad," or sports games because who here gives a fuck about sports games?

Maybe I'm misguided, but this always seems like an issue of people being upset that Jeff or Brad or Ryan dislikes something that they like. I'll take their advice sometimes, but ultimately, I'm going to like what I like regardless of other people's opinions. And Fuck Ryan Davis.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zekhariah

Some people actually like it a lot. The beat em up genre existed because of technical limitations of the time though, so I can understand why someone would feel very put off by it. If you had played those games a ton as a kid, but had transitioned into playing new games without back off to much on play time, it would just be a matter of how inferior an experience it is to Arkham Asylum and similiar instead of a nostalgia trip.

A lot of the "classic" SNES/N64 etc games do not hold up all that well because they were figuring mechanics out or were working within such limited game play (Try on the Donkey Kong 64 camera....).

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By envane

quick look is perhaps valid , but this thread basicly parroting the exact question asked in todays ILM = not worth it

Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Swaboo

Quick look or not, if you like old-school brawlers, you will like Double Dragon Neon.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zekhariah

@CaLe said:

My favourite Quick Looks are those in which the shitting on of games takes place.

The issue is that Giant Bomb in general tries to stay away from that sort of negativity. Maybe its fun with a bad random Kinect game, but for the most part the staff here would presumably know a ton of developers. Going into something with the pitchforks out is a issue that Jeff mentioned in the RE6 Monday vid; no point in piling onto a game or taking criticism beyond the already very negative "not worth it" type judgement.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mrfluke

somewhere, jeff is watching this thread and shaking his head

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cannonballbam

The game is surprisingly deep and has great replay in just the leveling system alone. I grew up on beat em ups and I can practically hum the entire "Go Straight" song from Streets of Rage 2. If those games aren't your cup of tea then you might want to move on to something else.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WarlordPayne

I love a good beat em up, but based on the demo that game did not seem like a good beat em up.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By saddlebrown

@newmarcom said:

The one good point this game has is the awesome soundtrack! I wish the gameplay speed was a little faster though.

Yeah, seriously. I paid money for the soundtrack because it's legitimately really awesome. The game is decent fun with a friend, but is definitely too slow. Just feels kind of sluggish because there's a wind-up to almost everything. Character movement is slow, running takes a second to start, etc. Art style on characters is pretty bad too, but the backgrounds look nice.

Honestly, the biggest flaw with the game to me is that there are no checkpoints at all in any level, rendering the "Continue?" screen totally useless. I mean, really, what's the point of a continue screen when it just sends me back to the beginning of the level? My housemate and I played through the entire game together except for the last level because we got tired of making it to the last boss, dying, and having to start over. Like I said before, it's just decent fun. Not worth playing the same level over and over. So tonight, after we tried one more time and died again, I just said fuck it and we deleted it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By fattony12000
    evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By evanbower

Oh it's always worth a Quick Look. For a historical document, if nothing else.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By TheHBK

How many of us will play it knowing it is a piece of shit? Sometimes, we just want to see it for ourselves and don't want some lame ass Youtube guy giving us his opinion, we want professional opinions that only Giant Bomb can offer.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#46  Edited By Hailinel

@TheHBK said:

How many of us will play it knowing it is a piece of shit? Sometimes, we just want to see it for ourselves and don't want some lame ass Youtube guy giving us his opinion, we want professional opinions that only Giant Bomb can offer.

As I said before, that the staff doesn't like it doesn't mean that it's bad. Jeff's opinion isn't any more or less valid than that professed on a random Youtube video.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By TheHBK

@Hailinel said:

@TheHBK said:

As I said before, that the staff doesn't like it doesn't mean that it's bad. Jeff's opinion isn't any more or less valid than that professed on a random Youtube video.

Ugh.... Ok, since when did everyone have to get all serious? Jeff is fucking funny ok? That is why i would rather see his video than a radom youtube video. Glad we cleared that up.

laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By laussica

I could download it for free on ps+ but I'd rather download the free ugly fish themes

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By M_Shini

Almost all the time i don't watch QL's to get a opinion if i should get a game, i watch it just for entertainment value in whatever form that's in.

So yeah they should QL this game and every single game that ever comes out probably that's fine with me.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@Swaboo said:

Quick look or not, if you like old-school brawlers, you will like Double Dragon Neon.

More like: Quick look or not, if you like AWESOMENESS, you will like Double Dragon Neon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.