Double Fine's Next Game Revealed: Costume Quest

#1 Edited by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -

A few weeks back, Tim Schaffer announced that Double Fine would be focusing on four smaller projects rather than dedicate all their resources to one huge and expensive Triple-A title. The first of those games has been announced today, via a story over at 1Up.com. Ladies and Gentlemen, feast your eyes upon Costume Quest: 

According to the preview (which gives a more in-depth coverage of the title), the game has a similar design to SNES era RPGs, with an isometric world map ala Earthbound broken up by in-game cut-scenes and awesome battle screens. The game is set during Halloween, and your protagonist is attempting to save your younger sister from monsters who mistook her candy cane inspired costume for the real thing. The costumes that your party wears at any time affects their ability in battle, similar to "jobs" in some Final Fantasy games.  

And the best part? It scheduled to come out THIS fall on X-Box Live Arcade and the Playstation Network, published through an argeement with THQ. Holy tamale, that is soon!
#2 Posted by eldiax (632 posts) -

This just might work!

#3 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

Sounds interesting.

#4 Posted by AjayRaz (12426 posts) -

i really like what i'm seeing..though that's what i said with brutal legend. 
hmm.. i'll wait for more info 

#5 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Neat. We'll see. I hope they've learned their lesson regarding game length. They better not give us a game a quarter the length of Brutal Legend just cause it costs a quarter of the price.

#6 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

YES NEW TIME TIM SCHAFFER GAME :D

#7 Posted by TerraDelu (501 posts) -

Like Earthbound? Double Fine? Achievements? SOLD!

#8 Edited by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Hm, I am very interested in seeing more of this game.

#9 Posted by bartok (2470 posts) -

So it will have an awesome and funny story but mediocre gameplay.  Also it appears to be an an RPG but it is actually a Football Manager Sim.

#10 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Consider me interested.

#11 Posted by Twazuk (178 posts) -

This looks great, I'm shocked it's coming out so soon.

#12 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

I'm very interested indeed and expecting good things. May Mr. Schafer keep making awesome games.

#13 Posted by Pyroman31 (35 posts) -

You guys remember how in that South Park episode where they get ninja weapons? 

Well remember how they looked all badass and buff and whatnot...but in reality they were just wearing crappy costumes? 

This seems like the exact thing is happening(judging from the screenshots).

Still excited though. Need moar info!!

#14 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -
@Pyroman31 said:
" You guys remember how in that South Park episode where they get ninja weapons?    Well remember how they looked all badass and buff and whatnot...but in reality they were just wearing crappy costumes?   This seems like the exact thing is happening(judging from the screenshots).  Still excited though. Need moar info!! "
I think that comparison is fairly apt; there is a line in the preview that suggests that the events may be simply an overactive kids imagination on a creepy Halloween night. Thus the kinda makeshift costumes turning into awesome robot-bodies would follow suit with that.
#15 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

I didn't like the name at all when I heard it, but the screenshots and concept pitch is rapidly winning me over.

#16 Posted by BeachThunder (11861 posts) -

D: This really doesn't sound that interesting. Hopefully, the next three will be better; I hope (yet doubt) that at least one of them will be an adventure game.

Also note that this isn't one of Tim Schafer's ideas, it is apparently the brain child of someone else from Double Fine, Tasha Harris.

#17 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:

Also note that this isn't one of Tim Schafer's ideas, it is apparently the brain child of someone else from Double Fine, Tasha Harris. "
None of the four games were created by Schafer; they were all pitched by and will be directed by department heads. Schafer, in turn, is serving more of an advisory and production role in the creation of these games overall.
#18 Posted by BeachThunder (11861 posts) -
@TheKidNixon said:
" @BeachThunder said:

Also note that this isn't one of Tim Schafer's ideas, it is apparently the brain child of someone else from Double Fine, Tasha Harris. "
None of the four games were created by Schafer; they were all pitched by and will be directed by department heads. Schafer, in turn, is serving more of an advisory and production role in the creation of these games overall. "
Well, in that case, maybe I'll just play Day of the Tentacle again every time one of these other games are released >(
#19 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I always felt AAA games are too much of a risk for Double Fine and their crazy ideas. The downloadable space is a much better fit for their kind of games.

#20 Posted by TurboMan (7515 posts) -

I think I like Double Fine doing these types of games more than spending 3 years on one game.

#21 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

I approve of this. I can always do with another one of these.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.