For One Double Fine Fan, A Dream Did Come True

• 141 results
#101 Posted by Hector (3346 posts) -

Random but awesome!

#102 Posted by Stepside (506 posts) -

Good vibes after reading this. That's pretty ninja the way pulled that off.

#103 Posted by AuthenticM (3672 posts) -

Who the fuck took those pictures? They're goddamn aweful.

#104 Posted by NegativeCero (2927 posts) -

Very cool for this dude. And get this man a better camera, ASAP.

#105 Posted by shway (176 posts) -

Somehow the blurry pictures makes the whole story more heartwarming and genuine. Good on Double Fine for doing something awesome for a fan, and now I really want to buy double fine merch lol

#106 Posted by ComradeCrash (551 posts) -

Haha I had a similar paranoid conspiracy theories when I won a contest. You just have to roll with it and don't think too hard! Funny article!

#107 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

blah blah blah sooooooooooo much pretentious talk that I don't wanna read, just tell me what this is about for the love of god.

#108 Posted by JuggaloAcidman (256 posts) -

I'm kinda confused... They brought him there for a half ass post? He didn't do anything cool? I should post garbage on forums more often... Did you hear? Flippity floppity flam! Can I visit a game studio now?

#109 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (251 posts) -

@AuthenticM: Probably the dude who went? Not everyone has a top of the line camera. Some people don't need a top of the line camera and are cool with what they have. The dude was probably happy enough that he was going to see his favorite studio and probably wasn't worried about camera quality

#110 Posted by PandaBear (1264 posts) -

@JuggaloAcidman said:

I'm kinda confused... They brought him there for a half ass post? He didn't do anything cool? I should post garbage on forums more often... Did you hear? Flippity floppity flam! Can I visit a game studio now?

GET YOUR ASS TO VALVE NOW!!! YOU'RE MAKING HALF-LIFE 3 AND GABE NEWELL HAS A SWORD FOR YOU!!!

#111 Posted by blacklab (1475 posts) -

I'm not sure I've ever seen Muir without a beer in his hand. Not a bad thing.

#112 Posted by zFUBARz (590 posts) -

Oh Double Fine, never stop being awesome, also I hope you hung his daughters picture on your fridge.

#113 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@AuthenticM said:

Who the fuck took those pictures? They're goddamn aweful.

No, they were probably just taken with a shitty dumbphone camera. It's pretty clear that the camera makes for hell in photographing much of anything.

#114 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

What is up with the blurry pics? Old camera? Camera phone? If I got invited to some place like this I'd try to borrow a nice camera if I didnt have one.

#115 Posted by TheChaos (1158 posts) -
#116 Posted by probablytuna (3445 posts) -

Cool?

#117 Posted by sopachuco13 (390 posts) -

Great article Patrick. It's these kind of pieces that bring me to Giant Bomb. I don't really need to know when games are coming out or how many units Halo sold. Keep putting stories like this up and I'll keep coming.

#118 Posted by Humanity (7961 posts) -

@sissylion said:

@Smokey_Earhole said:

@spilledmilkfactory

So hold on, I'm confused. Why, exactly, did Double Fine decide to bring this random guy over? I mean it's fucking awesome of them and everything, but I just don't get the reasoning on their part.

I would imagine the reasoning is quite obvious? This stunt just "bought" Double Fine a ton of goodwill and invaluable PR. Just look at the majority of the comments for this story.

Double Fine probably has the best reputation of any developer in the industry. Something tells me they don't need to go out of their way to create more ethos.

They're reputation as cool guys yah but their reputation as a developer that makes financially successful titles is somewhat shaky. Their last few games have been hit or miss and despite a cult following, Psychonauts had it's fair share of problems under all the fantastic creativity.

#119 Posted by dropabombonit (1474 posts) -

Brad Muir always seems to have a drink in photos, what a legend

#120 Posted by Pezen (1469 posts) -

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

Not everyone has a top of the line camera.

As if you need a top of the line camera to take "ok" pictures. In fact, I'm rather impressed by how bad these pictures are, they feel like upsized vga shots taken by a 15 year old phone.

#121 Posted by Awesom3pand4 (14 posts) -

Sounds Great!

#122 Posted by _Chad (957 posts) -

Nice!

#123 Posted by datarez (501 posts) -

That's a pretty awesome surprise for that guy.

#124 Edited by OANST (8 posts) -

It's a real camera, you cranky bastards. It's just a cheap one. Had I known the pictures would come out so poorly, I would have bought a better one.

Edit: Here is the thread I created on the Double Fine forums: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/5887/

#125 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (251 posts) -

@Pezen: Ok. But these were pictures taken by the guy who went. Why are you expecting HD photos? He isn't a professional photographer and he was probably happy he was even able to get the photos taken at all. Why is it such a big deal that the photos aren't good quality? The point of the article wasn't to show off somebodies photography skills. It was to tell a cool story.

#126 Posted by Oginam (440 posts) -

@OANST said:

It's a real camera, you cranky bastards. It's just a cheap one. Had I known the pictures would come out so poorly, I would have bought a better one.

Edit: Here is the thread I created on the Double Fine forums: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/5887/

Congratulations! I hope you asked Brad Muir what he's working on right now, I need to know!

#127 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4480 posts) -

All this Giant Bomb-Double Fine stuff feels kind of icky. It was handled way better with Supergiant Games.

#128 Posted by leinad44 (500 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda: People keep saying this. But doublefine is a studio I think should be getting more attention, so there's no complaints from me

#129 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6984 posts) -

Awesome!

#130 Posted by ScreamingFist (362 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

All this Giant Bomb-Double Fine stuff feels kind of icky. It was handled way better with Supergiant Games.

Why does it feel icky?

#131 Posted by Skyfire543 (585 posts) -

@chrisremo: That's awesome. You guys are awesome.

(Brad Muir is also awesome)

#132 Edited by mewarmo990 (821 posts) -

I wonder how Patrick picked up this story. Did he just happen to run into the guy at the press event?

#133 Posted by OANST (8 posts) -

We met at the event, yes.

#134 Posted by Twiggy199 (495 posts) -

Good for him!.

#135 Posted by Boopie (191 posts) -

this is why I allow humanity to exist

#136 Posted by Jinkypolly (3 posts) -

Now that was a cool story, fair play to Double Fine.

#137 Posted by KaneRobot (1267 posts) -

I was expecting this story to end with "...and they brutally raped him."

#138 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -

It was good of them to do that for him.

#139 Posted by mrcraggle (1698 posts) -

I'd love to meet the people at Double Fine one day. I grew up on Tim Schafer games all thanks to the computer in our school. It had Monkey Island (as well as the Castle of Dr Brain and Arthur) on it which a bunch of us would just sit around and play and try to solve the puzzles. Thinking about it now, I'd love to know who ok'd that and more importantly, who would be that awesome?

#140 Posted by PimblyCharles (1107 posts) -

@ScreamingFist said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

Why does it feel icky?

I think it's awesome. How often do you hear of developers hanging out with press on their own time? The Giantbomb guys are just that cool I guess

#141 Posted by clush (347 posts) -

"Why did Double Fine do this? Because it could, the studio told me. Because why not blow this guy's mind?"

I appreciate that. Give some more or less random guy a day to remember because why the fuck not. They COULD have made this a big facebook contest (begging for likes and all that shite) and they didn't. That is cool.

#142 Posted by cassus (319 posts) -

That is awesome. How can you not love double fine?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.