Nordic Games gives Double Fine their filthy rights back

#1 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3349 posts) -

So, this happened about an hour ago.

Nordic Games, who bought up a bunch of shit from that THQ meltdown, and who Patrick interviewed in a just-who-are-you-guys anyways? dump, have given Double Fine back the rights to publish and distribute Costume Quest, Stacking and Psychonauts. They're also going to do a physical release for these games together (a 3 in 1 is my guess).

DOES THIS MEAN MORE PSYCHO IN THE FUTURE?

Discuss. Personally, I never played CQ and only the Stacking demo, would love to have them though.

Also, make sure you read the press release. It's fantastic.

#2 Edited by TheHT (11376 posts) -

Hah, cute.

#3 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Pfft. Obviously Nordic is lying about the circumstances of the rights transfer to save face. xD

Psychonauts sequel on new consoles and PC please!!!

#4 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3349 posts) -

@theht said:
@geraltitude said:

Hah, cute.

lol no really dude it's hilarious, did you read it?

#5 Posted by DEFE (257 posts) -

edit: I tried to embed Tim's tweet, but couldn't get it to work. Maybe someone can tell me how to use GB's tweet embed feature?

Click "Expand" on the Tweet. Below the counter of retweets and favorites is "Details." Click that and a page with just the tweet loads. Copy the URL. Here in our text editor, click "Tweet" and paste in the URL. It'll pop into the text box as just the text of the tweet. When you post it'll look proper.

That press release is pretty good.

#6 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Double Fine make the best games I never seem to want to play.

#7 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3349 posts) -

@defe said:

@geraltitude said:

edit: I tried to embed Tim's tweet, but couldn't get it to work. Maybe someone can tell me how to use GB's tweet embed feature?

Click "Expand" on the Tweet. Below the counter of retweets and favorites is "Details." Click that and a page with just the tweet loads. Copy the URL. Here in our text editor, click "Tweet" and paste in the URL. It'll pop into the text box as just the text of the tweet. When you post it'll look proper.

That press release is pretty good.

ohhhh. Thanks so much duder! Kept trying to copy from Twitter's "Embed" button.

#8 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4825 posts) -

I really wish Double Fine made games I could enjoy. I like the humour, but the gameplay is often quite shit.

#10 Posted by TheHT (11376 posts) -

@geraltitude: Haha, yeah I read it. I was referring to the press release, not you asking us to read the press release.

#11 Edited by MattyFTM (14393 posts) -
@geraltitude said:

Double Fine has always owned the rights to the Psychonauts IP, and Tim has mentioned that there has been several unsuccessful attempts to find a publisher to fund a sequel. They just didn't own the publishing rights to the original. All that has changed is that they can now distribute the original Psychonauts freely.

Moderator Online
#12 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3349 posts) -

@theht said:

@geraltitude: Haha, yeah I read it. I was referring to the press release, not you asking us to read the press release.

oh, right, haha. Fantastic! *embarrassed* And for a second I felt cute..

#13 Edited by Vessel28 (117 posts) -

It doesn't seem to say they got the rights back for Psychonauts.

Edit: Never mind, just read MattyFTM's comment.

#14 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5592 posts) -

Oh, I thought they were gonna be able to call Iron Brigade, trenched again. That's good to I guess.

#15 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3349 posts) -
@mattyftm said:
@geraltitude said:

Double Fine has always owned the rights to the Psychonauts IP, and Tim has mentioned that there has been several unsuccessful attempts to find a publisher to fund a sequel. They just didn't own the publishing rights to the original. All that has changed is that they can now distribute the original Psychonauts freely.

Yeah totally, I know that Matty! :D I just mean that when they re-release Psychonauts (again) maybe it will inspire them to do a sequel? Or an HD release even, or something. Some kind of Psycho spinoff. Maybe Nordic is the publisher to finally do Psychonauts II. Seems like the beginning of a relationship to me, anyways.

#16 Edited by RetroVirus (1476 posts) -

That is a good press release.

#17 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1999 posts) -

God damn I love Double Fine.

#18 Posted by OldGuy (1561 posts) -

@mattyftm said:
@geraltitude said:

Yeah totally, I know that Matty! :D I just mean that when they re-release Psychonauts (again) maybe it will inspire them to do a sequel? Or an HD release even, or something. Some kind of Psycho spinoff. Maybe Nordic is the publisher to finally do Psychonauts II. Seems like the beginning of a relationship to me, anyways.

All you gotta do is give them $20mil(ish) (or get someone else to do that) and you'll be all set...

#19 Posted by HatKing (5976 posts) -

Surprised those assholes didn't just change the name of their game again.

#20 Posted by David (131 posts) -

Now they just need the rights to Grim Fandango and Full Throttle. But the likelihood of that is pretty slim.

#21 Posted by peritus (1025 posts) -

Pretty cool. Some good "business news" for once.

#22 Posted by UlquioKani (1066 posts) -

Such a good press release. I love that the double fine PR guy starts off normally and adds the good stuff right at the end.

#23 Posted by BisonHero (6565 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

@geraltitude said:

Wait, didn't they already reclaim the publishing rights to Psychonauts a while back? The version on Steam used to have a fat Majesco logo at the front, but then halfway through me playing it back in fall of like 2011, they did posted up an improved version of the game that automatically supported the 360 controller, fixed some stuff like the Meat Circus, and had a Dracogen logo at the front (their angel investor guy who owns XE.com).

#24 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Now what about Darksiders?

#25 Posted by Fattony12000 (7456 posts) -

"I just want to clarify, again, that we support the right of independent developers to control their own distribution, and we were pleased to have the opportunity to work with Double Fine," said Klemens Kreuzer, Managing Director at Nordic Games. "No heists."

#26 Posted by Robsamuel (68 posts) -

What about Alter Echo? I know Brad Muir talked about trying to acquire it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.