Are there kids growing up who don't know what a double jump is?

#1 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Kids today are playin COD, Grand Theft Auto and fuckin Halo as their first games. A double-jump is a concrete solid concept in our minds, but if you were born in like 1999- They might have never heard of it :O

#2 Posted by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -
@I_smell said:
" Kids today are playin COD, Grand Theft Auto and fuckin Halo as their first games. A double-jump is a concrete solid concept in our minds, but if you were born in like 1999- They might not have never heard of it :O "
...That's a scary thought.
#3 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

Kids today don't know what it was like when games didn't have save points.

#4 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5417 posts) -

I think enough big time games use them so that "kids" still know what a double jump is. God of War is just one example.

#5 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" I think enough big time games use them so that "kids" still know what a double jump is. God of War is just one example. "
Oh I've never played that. Yep, ok, that works.
#6 Edited by MikkaQ (10281 posts) -

Worse, they're growing up in a world when people feel the need to JUSTIFY a double jump. Seriously, play a game with double jump recently? There's always a really awkwardly ham-fisted reason as to why you can.  

Also what CitizenKane said. I'd have to beat my freakin' racing games in one sitting or bust.  (though I mean.. it's pretty outdated, it's still good to RAISE the kids without saves, makes 'em better gamers for the future.)  

Oh, and they can't handle themselves in online games, it's 2010, there are like 12 year old kids born in 1998, the year fucking half-life dropped, calling ME a noob and a faggot on MW2. I'm left speechless most of the time. I mean the game (and other shit around the era, The Matrix, for example) felt like yesterday, and these kids are already cussing me out?! WHUUUUUUUUT?

#7 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

Also, Super Smash Bros. Brawl. 

I'm just 15, but I like to believe that I'm more knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to older games compared to other people in my generation.  I got pretty close to raging the other day when a friend said that Modern Warfare 2 is the best game ever.  Maybe the best shooter of this console generation (that's still pushing it), but to hear someone who never even played a SNES declare a game to be the greatest ever...  Simply disturbing.

#8 Posted by Scullinator (512 posts) -

Double Dribble???

#9 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" Worse, they're growing up in a world when people feel the need to JUSTIFY a double jump. Seriously, play a game with double jump recently? There's always a really awkwardly ham-fisted reason as to why you can.    Also what CitizenKane said. I'd have to beat my freakin' racing games in one sitting or bust.  (though I mean.. it's pretty outdated, it's still good to RAISE the kids without saves, makes 'em better gamers for the future.)   Oh, and they can't handle themselves in online games, it's 2010, there are like 12 year old kids born in 1998, the year fucking half-life dropped, calling ME a noob and a faggot on MW2. I'm left speechless most of the time. I mean the game (and other shit around the era, The Matrix, for example) felt like yesterday, and these kids are already cussing me out?! WHUUUUUUUUT? "
I dont get the point there, mind explaining?
#10 Posted by MikkaQ (10281 posts) -
@Yukoei: Funny how time flies? It felt like yesterday when I was watching the matrix, and playing half life, and now people born on that year are playing against me in this era's most popular shooter. And cussing me out, no less, the brats. 
#11 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -

Ehhhh... God of War 3?

#12 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @Yukoei: Funny how time flies? It felt like yesterday when I was watching the matrix, and playing half life, and now people born on that year are playing against me in this era's most popular shooter. And cussing me out, no less, the brats.  "
Ahh, okay I get it now. Good point.
#13 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

I remember when double jumps weren't even a standard; when they were a new and totally awesome ability.

#14 Posted by TwoLines (2794 posts) -

What?! Noooooooooooo!

#15 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

There was a point recently that, having had it ingrained in my head from a young age, I was convinced I could double jump...

Wait! That sounds like I now think I can't... I CAN TOTALLY DOUBLE-JUMP!

#16 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

Jesus, you sound like a bunch of old guys sitting in front of the feedmill bitching about today's kids.

#17 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

I tested this. 

My 8 year-old brother who plays most modern new releases, did not know what a double jump was. He was also confused when I explained manual saving. 

Old man mode:

Back in my day, we used memory cards and had to work our cartridges to get the game to work.

#18 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -
@TheGremp: To be fair, your generation includes people into their late 20's, early 30's, who would certainly know what a double-jump is.
#19 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

My youngest sister was born in 1999 and she knows what a double jump is.

#20 Posted by OldGuy (1545 posts) -

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day at the mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance on our graves and sing "Hallelujah."

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe you.

#21 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

I love Double Jump. They make the best strategy guides out there. (I'm being sarcastic if you aren't aware.)

#22 Posted by Andorski (5248 posts) -

The worst will come when the platforming genre dies and kids forget that games used to be centered around the simple idea of jumping.

#23 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Defy law of physics.

Acquire new heights.

#24 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Kids are just stupid. When they hit their teens they'll know all this stuff.

#25 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

It really depends on the games you play. There are more modern games with double jumping, God of War and Ratchet and Clank spring to mind.

#26 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (475 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" Kids today don't know what it was like when games didn't have save points. "
Amen bro. Those were the days...

Or kids today don't have to blow into the cartridges or use a Q-tip to clean the games to get them to work.
#27 Posted by MikkaQ (10281 posts) -

Aaah the old q-tip n' windex treatment. That'll fuck your modern games right over hahaha.

#28 Posted by Fallen189 (4978 posts) -

I also remember when <Someone younger than me> didn't know what <trite observation> was. It was so sweet!

#29 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

Double Jumps aren't as prominent in videogames now as they were back then. These days it's all about gliding or swinging if you want to get from place to place. Jump THEN glide or jump THEN hookshot!

#30 Posted by ErrorOperator (458 posts) -

I play Team Fortress 2, double jumping can be put into FPS's!

#31 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

There are kids that don't know that a game without loading times is possible.

#32 Posted by natetodamax (19190 posts) -
#33 Posted by Binman88 (3685 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
"k "

Thank God you came back! Where would we be without your valuable insight! 

As for the OPs question, aren't there double jumps in a lot of modern games? Dante's Inferno and God of War for example, and I'm sure there's plenty of Wii and indie platformers with the double jump mechanic as well.
#34 Posted by xFRIGx (79 posts) -
@CitizenKane: Oh god, your right. I nearly phased out the thoughts of when I would die and have to start ALL OVER AGAIN. Maybe the kids not knowing about this is a good thing
#35 Posted by jNerd (2011 posts) -

I'm going to make my son play all my consoles, in order, from NES to 360. He will be cultured.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.