Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Downloadable Content

Concept »

Downloadable Content adds new features and content to already-distributed video games via the Internet. Examples include new maps for FPS games, new songs for rhythm games, and new cars for racing games.

DLCs for the people (that have too much money on their hands)

JeansJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By JeansJoe

I am just downloading a 320 Mb Update to Duells of the Planeswalkers - Magic the Gathering on PC. It actually gives me nothing and it is only for those people that want to buy the DLCs.

So what are the DLCs?
    Well, you unlock Cards in this game for every round won with a certain card deck. If you are extremely lazy you now can unlock a whole deck for 1 €. Great thing. It takes about 2 hours to unlock the cards and you learn the game by playing it. If you glitch it it takes about 20 minutes for a deck.
    But there is another type of DLC. Premium foil cards. Yes they are shiny and they look nice. But then again it is just a skin and it changes NOTHING in the game. In total you could spent a whole 22€ on the DLCs that you do not need because they do not change anything in the game.

There were somewhat similar DLCs for Killing Floor - but then again they were totally different. In Killing Floor you can buy character skins for about 2 € a pack. Now that does not change anything in gameplay as well BUT - and here comes a huge BUT: What you pay for the DLC is put into the development of a free Update that all players will get. So with buying the DLC you make sure the developers keep on developing maps for this game and fix bugs and glitches because you give them the ressources.
    To be honest that was the smartest DLC model I have ever seen! Compared to paying 15 € for old Modern Warfare Maps or DLCs that change nothing in the game...

We are gaming in times where developers rather make money from a DLC than boost their names and products with free updates. Cheers!

JeansJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JeansJoe

I am just downloading a 320 Mb Update to Duells of the Planeswalkers - Magic the Gathering on PC. It actually gives me nothing and it is only for those people that want to buy the DLCs.

So what are the DLCs?
    Well, you unlock Cards in this game for every round won with a certain card deck. If you are extremely lazy you now can unlock a whole deck for 1 €. Great thing. It takes about 2 hours to unlock the cards and you learn the game by playing it. If you glitch it it takes about 20 minutes for a deck.
    But there is another type of DLC. Premium foil cards. Yes they are shiny and they look nice. But then again it is just a skin and it changes NOTHING in the game. In total you could spent a whole 22€ on the DLCs that you do not need because they do not change anything in the game.

There were somewhat similar DLCs for Killing Floor - but then again they were totally different. In Killing Floor you can buy character skins for about 2 € a pack. Now that does not change anything in gameplay as well BUT - and here comes a huge BUT: What you pay for the DLC is put into the development of a free Update that all players will get. So with buying the DLC you make sure the developers keep on developing maps for this game and fix bugs and glitches because you give them the ressources.
    To be honest that was the smartest DLC model I have ever seen! Compared to paying 15 € for old Modern Warfare Maps or DLCs that change nothing in the game...

We are gaming in times where developers rather make money from a DLC than boost their names and products with free updates. Cheers!

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By Atlas

Inb4horsearmour.

UnoGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By UnoGenius

Expensive DLC is ruining what little respect I have for the game industry.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By niamahai
    @JeansJoe said:
    "

So what are the DLCs?

"
    y'know *free* updates are things of the past.

Like F5 for quick-save in FPS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.