Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Downloadable Content

Concept »

Downloadable Content adds new features and content to already-distributed video games via the Internet. Examples include new maps for FPS games, new songs for rhythm games, and new cars for racing games.

The window of opportunity

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

Edited By Lies

With the advent of the "Next-Generation Consoles", downloadable content following a game's launch is almost a certainty these days. In fact, according to the folks at Lionhead, a DLC plan is a requirement for any first-party Microsoft game-- DLC is planned from the game's inception. So, with that in mind, we come to the subject of this blog, Fable II and it's DLC.

Now, in case you weren't aware, Fable II is releasing a downloadable island with three new quests and several new areas to explore. This DLC was announced sometime in November, and originally planned for a release on December 13th. I was going to buy this DLC when I first heard about it- Fable II was a good experience and I wouldn't mind paying for more of it. However, the DLC recieved a delay of ten days for whatever reason, and was pushed back to December 23rd. Now I am no longer going to purchase it.

Now why would a delay of ten days affect my purchasing decision? The content will not be different, nor will the price. It is the exact same package I was promised, but the interest is no longer enough to justify dropping ten dollars on it. Why? It's a subject I've touched on before. As someone who completed Fable II's main story in roughly a week, and the sidequests and achievements about another week later, my attention for the game was waning ever since I finished it. Generally, as "gamers" we only think about a game for perhaps a week or two after finishing it, after which it is supplanted by something else within the popular consciousness- at this point, I suppose I should not, I'm primarily addressing single-player DLC. I know the situation is different for multiplayer content.

Fable II DLC
    Fable II DLC
    Fable II, by being so short, was even less capable of holding attention than normal. With the release of DLC, to truly be popular and successful, it needs to hit within this window of interest, while a player's thoughts still linger on that world and experience. Now this doesn't mean DLC should release the week after launch, but to tap into the largest audience and be the most successful, it needs to land within that window where people have finished the game, but are not yet done thinking about it. Fable II was already stretching the limits of that window with it's original DLC release date, coming a month and a half after the release of a game with a 8-hour main quest; but Fable was still on the mind, at least for those who had not dove headfirst into Fallout 3. With the delay, the interest is gone, and I'd rather spend my time elsewhere- with no new Fable content to play on the 13th, I decided to jump into Fallout, and now I'm never going to play Knothole Island, quality though it may be.

Operation Anchorage
    Operation Anchorage
    Now Fallout brings me to my other point. Fallout has 3 announced DLC packages, one coming in January, one coming in February, and one in March. Now, you're probably noticing that those are farther away than Knothole Island, which is a valid observation. But from my experience, the window of opportunity is directly proportional to how long the game experience is. Something like Fallout takes months to complete fully at a reasonable play speed. And even after you're finished playing it, the game lingers in your conciousness longer, because there is more to relect on and think about. By virtue of generating more content in the original package, they can keep you interested for longer before they need to deliver even more content. Fallout nailed the window perfectly. By January, the hardcore will either be polishng up the main offering, or starting to lose interest, at which point- bam! Operation Anchorage.

Fallout succeeds in hitting it's window of interest where Fable II does not. Fallout understands the importance of timing in the release of downloadable content, something hopefully other developers will realize. There comes a point where it just isn't interesting to go back to an old game and play through a new piece of content, while it likel would have been worth it had it been released in a timely manner. It's all about knowing your window, and landing your content smack in the middle of it.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Lies

With the advent of the "Next-Generation Consoles", downloadable content following a game's launch is almost a certainty these days. In fact, according to the folks at Lionhead, a DLC plan is a requirement for any first-party Microsoft game-- DLC is planned from the game's inception. So, with that in mind, we come to the subject of this blog, Fable II and it's DLC.

Now, in case you weren't aware, Fable II is releasing a downloadable island with three new quests and several new areas to explore. This DLC was announced sometime in November, and originally planned for a release on December 13th. I was going to buy this DLC when I first heard about it- Fable II was a good experience and I wouldn't mind paying for more of it. However, the DLC recieved a delay of ten days for whatever reason, and was pushed back to December 23rd. Now I am no longer going to purchase it.

Now why would a delay of ten days affect my purchasing decision? The content will not be different, nor will the price. It is the exact same package I was promised, but the interest is no longer enough to justify dropping ten dollars on it. Why? It's a subject I've touched on before. As someone who completed Fable II's main story in roughly a week, and the sidequests and achievements about another week later, my attention for the game was waning ever since I finished it. Generally, as "gamers" we only think about a game for perhaps a week or two after finishing it, after which it is supplanted by something else within the popular consciousness- at this point, I suppose I should not, I'm primarily addressing single-player DLC. I know the situation is different for multiplayer content.

Fable II DLC
    Fable II DLC
    Fable II, by being so short, was even less capable of holding attention than normal. With the release of DLC, to truly be popular and successful, it needs to hit within this window of interest, while a player's thoughts still linger on that world and experience. Now this doesn't mean DLC should release the week after launch, but to tap into the largest audience and be the most successful, it needs to land within that window where people have finished the game, but are not yet done thinking about it. Fable II was already stretching the limits of that window with it's original DLC release date, coming a month and a half after the release of a game with a 8-hour main quest; but Fable was still on the mind, at least for those who had not dove headfirst into Fallout 3. With the delay, the interest is gone, and I'd rather spend my time elsewhere- with no new Fable content to play on the 13th, I decided to jump into Fallout, and now I'm never going to play Knothole Island, quality though it may be.

Operation Anchorage
    Operation Anchorage
    Now Fallout brings me to my other point. Fallout has 3 announced DLC packages, one coming in January, one coming in February, and one in March. Now, you're probably noticing that those are farther away than Knothole Island, which is a valid observation. But from my experience, the window of opportunity is directly proportional to how long the game experience is. Something like Fallout takes months to complete fully at a reasonable play speed. And even after you're finished playing it, the game lingers in your conciousness longer, because there is more to relect on and think about. By virtue of generating more content in the original package, they can keep you interested for longer before they need to deliver even more content. Fallout nailed the window perfectly. By January, the hardcore will either be polishng up the main offering, or starting to lose interest, at which point- bam! Operation Anchorage.

Fallout succeeds in hitting it's window of interest where Fable II does not. Fallout understands the importance of timing in the release of downloadable content, something hopefully other developers will realize. There comes a point where it just isn't interesting to go back to an old game and play through a new piece of content, while it likel would have been worth it had it been released in a timely manner. It's all about knowing your window, and landing your content smack in the middle of it.
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Thrawn1

the exception is that you (yes, you lies) will buy TFU dlc anytime it comes out....

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lies
    Thrawn said:
    "the exception is that you (yes, you lies) will buy TFU dlc anytime it comes out...."
    This is true. I am crazy.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I played through Fallout 3 (58 hrs.) and started another character, but I've been holding off in playing too much of it. I might just let it go until the first DLC comes out. As for Fable 2, I'm planning on getting it for Christmas, so the window of DLC for that game is perfect for me. I think developers are still trying to figure out when a good time to release DLC is and what kind of DLC will it be. Is it to breath new life into a game? Is something minor added for the people who have the game? Is it more of an expansion? Many flavors... Which do I choose.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator

DUDE you totally stole my blog title!! We cant both blog about windows!!

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I completely disagree. Actually, it's quite the opposite for me. DLC can get me back into a game. For example, after Criterion released their content updates for Burnout Paradise, I started playing the game even more. And no, not just the new content, but all of the content that was available in the base game as well.

Also, not all gamers are constantly moving on from game to game. I'd rather play a few games, but completely dominate each of those games than play a ton of different games that I'll just rush through the single player story or something and then move on. I like to go slow and thoroughly than just have a bunch of quickies. (yes, that was meant to be innuendo)

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lies
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Oni

Hmm. Not sure I entirely agree. I know I'm a special case, but I finished Fallout 3 in a couple of days. All of it, all the achievement quests. But yeah, I spent copious amounts of time playing. Regardless, it's not like  Fallout 3's main quest is very long at all, it's roughly comparable to Fable 2's, but both have very generous offerings of side quests and additional content. I spent about as long on one playthrough of Fable 2 as I did with one playthrough of Fallout 3. I might get the Fallout 3 DLC, because I've been wanting to replay that game as a Good character anyway, but my interest in Fable 2 has definitely waned as I don't feel the choices you make in that game impact the experience significantly, unlike in Fallout 3.

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By AspiringAndy

Fable 2 was a major disappointment for me.
    I thought that I'd be playing it for months like the first one.
    But once again my expectations were shattered and now I have no desire to play it.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lies

Yeah, Fable 2 certainly didn't have much staying power at all. Maybe if they release a bigger expansion like Lost Chapters, that'll be enough of an impetus to pick it up again, but my interest is pretty much gone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.