The Draenei are an offshoot of the Eredar race, hailing from planet Argus. 25,000 years before the time of World of Warcraft, Sargeras, leader of the Burning Legion, was seeking demons to bolster his army, and sensed the magical power held by the Eredar. He offered them great power, in exchange for their servitude to his army. Two of the three Eredar leaders, Kil'Jaeden and Archimonde, accepted his offer. But the third, Velen, feared the corruption this power would bring. He attempted to warn the others of the consequences Sargeras would bring, but they dismissed him.
Eventually, the Naaru, a race of energy beings standing against the Burning Legion, came to Velen and offered to help him. Velen gathered a faction of Eredar who shared his fear and, using a Naaru ship, fled Argus. They renamed themselves Draenei, "exiled ones" in their language. Kil'Jaeden was furious at Velen's betrayal, and the Draenei were chased by the Burning Legion across the cosmos for centuries. As they fled, the Naaru taught the Draenei to worship and wield the Light. Eventually, they evaded the Legion and settled on a planet they named Draenor - "Exile's Refuge".
On Draenor, they lived in peace with the native Orcs there. But eventually, the Burning Legion found them, and began to corrupt the Orcs to their own purposes. Fueled by demonic powers, the Orcs hunted down and killed almost the entire Draenei population. During this long war, many Draenei who had been exposed to the Orc's demonic energies became corrupted, mutating into the subspecies of the Broken and the Lost Ones. Velen and the remaining Draenei went into hiding for years, only emerging when Blood Elves came to the since-destroyed remnants of Draenor and seized the Draenei's former stronghold, Tempest Keep. The Draenei reclaimed one wing, the Exodar, but not before its engine had been sabotaged by the Blood Elves. The Draenei managed to escape Draenor, but eventually crash-landed on Azeroth.
After landing on Azeroth, the Draenei found like-minded races in the Alliance, many of whom shared their reverence of the Light and hate for the Burning Legion. They became members of the Alliance, and the races have worked together since.
- Starting Areas: Azuremyst Isle and Bloodmyst Isle
- Capital: The Exodar
- Shaman (Draenei are the only Alliance race able to become Shaman, just as the Blood Elves are the only Paladins in the Horde)
- Death Knight (Wrath of the Lich King only)
- Gift of the Naaru: A Heal Over Time spell that costs no mana to use.
- Heroic Presence/Inspiring Presence: A passive buff to all members of the Draenei's party. Heroic Presence is available to Hunters, Warriors, and Paladins, and increases chance to hit by 1%. Inspiring Presence is available to Priests, Shaman, and Mages, and increases chance to hit with spells by 1.
- Gemcutting: A 5 boost to Jewelcrafting skill.
- Shadow Resistance: A passive 10 boost to resistance against Shadow spells.