Bioware reviewing their own game on Metacritic

#1 Posted by Feigr (186 posts) -

Someone linked this to me earlier and I thought it was pretty funny. 

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1838/1300131100311.png  

I don't really have an opinion either way on this type of behavior, but considering what people in general think of devs doing this it's funny that he didn't even bother to cover his tracks.

#2 Posted by PufferFiz (1379 posts) -

wow that is really disgusting

#3 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

Eh. Bad decision but whatever.

#4 Posted by Ramboknife (114 posts) -

Whoever took all of that time to find  the information has a sad, sad life. 

#5 Posted by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

Yup, i've seen that before. But man... This game get so much hate lately.

#6 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5834 posts) -

Who says he can't like the games he's worked on.

#7 Posted by Feigr (186 posts) -
@Ramboknife said:
" Whoever took all of that time to find  the information has a sad, sad life.  "
Typing in "avanost" into Google and then typing in "chris hoban LinkedIn" into Google doesn't exactly take a long time. :P
#8 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Maybe it's a real fan, how do you know?

#9 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@Feigr said:
" @Ramboknife said:
" Whoever took all of that time to find  the information has a sad, sad life.  "
Typing in "avanost" into Google and then typing in "chris hoban LinkedIn" into Google doesn't exactly take a long time. :P "
Doesn't really make it any less sad. 
#10 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5284 posts) -

Its fucked up but I doubt that the people that wrote the reviews had anything to do with the game until EA or some marketing firm decided to do this to offset user reviews.  That may be extremely obvious though.

#11 Posted by Jeffsekai (7034 posts) -

How is this any different than people rating the game a 1.0 just because they are butt-hurt over it.

#12 Posted by Mcfart (1626 posts) -

It's alright for him to enjoy his own game but

Reviewing it?

Seriously?

Lol, Bioware's trying a little too hard.

#13 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1735 posts) -

The thing is 

1. This is an employee, not the entire company Bioware. He isn't acting officially, but privately.
  2. It's common knowledge how screwed up publishers' views on Metacritic scores are. People lose pay, get fired or worse over Metacritic scores below a certain point (as I recall, there was something with Assassin's Creed not being allowed to have under a pretty high score. We're talking 7-10.)
Can't blame a guy in that enviroment wanting to protect his job. I'm not saying that's how things work in Bioware, but that's how it works someplaces.
#14 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -
@Feigr said:
" @Ramboknife said:
Typing in "avanost" into Google and then typing in "chris hoban LinkedIn" into Google doesn't exactly take a long time. :P "
I think the point was, Who googles the names from  user metacritic reviews?
#15 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" How is this any different than people rating the game a 1.0 just because they are butt-hurt over it. "
It's not. I don't understand how something like this is apparently unacceptable, but it's perfectly fine to give a game a user average of 4.2. It's so ridiculous. People may not like this game, but it's no 4. Gamers are a sad, lonely bunch sometimes.
#16 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: Because the people that rate the game 1.0 have no ties to the company that made the game. And I'm not saying 1.0 scores aren't stupid, because they are. 
There is just more bias when the person that works on something is posing as a user to boost suport for the game.
#17 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -

That kinda sucks, i guess. But it's not like i base my purchasing of games solely on a Metacritic rating, so it doesn't really matter to me.

#18 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" How is this any different than people rating the game a 1.0 just because they are butt-hurt over it. "
It's not. I don't understand how something like this is apparently unacceptable, but it's perfectly fine to give a game a user average of 4.2. It's so ridiculous. People may not like this game, but it's no 4. Gamers are a sad, lonely bunch sometimes. "
This. 

The metacritic user reviews are retarded. Dragon Age II is an excellent game. It is a weak game by Bioware's standards, but guess what; Bioware makes better games than just about anyone else. 

DA2 is a 7.0 at minimum, maybe a 6.0 if you absolutely hate RPGs and Fantasy. People giving it a 1.0 are butt hurt about the changes made. It's the reverse-Limbo effect.
#19 Posted by Jeffsekai (7034 posts) -
@Nottle said:
" @Jeffsekai: Because the people that rate the game 1.0 have no ties to the company that made the game. And I'm not saying 1.0 scores aren't stupid, because they are. There is just more bias when the person that works on something is posing as a user to boost suport for the game. "
The people rating the game a 1.0 are not giving it a fair chance(hell im guessing half of them haven't even played it), they are butt hurt Bio Ware made it more actiony.
#20 Edited by Enigma777 (6074 posts) -

I'm sure he's not the first to do this and certainly won't be the last. No one looks at (or even cares about) user reviews anyways...

#21 Posted by alexl86 (627 posts) -

It wouldn't have affected my decision anyway, since I had my copy on preorder since 2010, and I could care less about user reviews on day one.

#22 Edited by MattyFTM (14393 posts) -

The majority of the DA2 user reviews on metacritic are from people who haven't even played the game raging about how it's not a traditional crpg. The user reviews are already completely skewed. His review doesn't really change anything.

#23 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@Mcfart said:
" It's alright for him to enjoy his own game but   Reviewing it?  Seriously?  Lol, Bioware's trying a little too hard. "
One bioware employee doesn't represent bioware as a whole. It's not like they told him to do this, i'm sure he just did it on his own time because he worked on the game and didn't like seeing all the hate it was getting in the user reviews. I'd bet other people who've worked on games have done similar things.
#24 Posted by Gaff (1773 posts) -
@Nottle
@Jeffsekai: Because the people that rate the game 1.0 have no ties to the company that made the game. And I'm not saying 1.0 scores aren't stupid, because they are. 
There is just more bias when the person that works on something is posing as a user to boost suport for the game.
I'm quite sure bias works both ways. Even worse:

On the one hand, someone feels the need to defend something he has worked on for over a year.

On the other hand, you have "fans" who, for some reason or another, hate the direction Bioware has taken with "their", the fans', franchise.

Understandable? Sure. Though calling one more honest than the other is going a bit far.
#25 Posted by Insectecutor (1187 posts) -

His opinions are his own, and not those of Bioware. Plus there is no proof he actually worked on DA2, he's an applications engineer and probably not that high up the chain. Don't demonize the guy just because he's proud of the company he works for.

#26 Posted by FreakAche (2954 posts) -

Oh, wow! Check out this "gem" from the user reviews: 
"Sadly DA2 is no roleplay Game in my Oppinion anymore. The only thing this game has is fighting (with much blood and exploding hordes of enemies - like the Marketing said.. for every button something flashy happens) also there are no Skills anymore, beside the fighting skills... The other thing is the story presentation, which Bioware still is good at. But things like the restricted invento ry and kodex entries (50% percent of the things you find are nondescript junk?? really?), the MMO Interface.. this all makes it to an Action Adventure at best. As a roleplay game it sadly fails in nearly every way :(  " 

With people of this level of crazy taking part in the user reviews, I actually have no problem with BioWare doing a little damage control.

#27 Posted by shivermetimbers (774 posts) -
#28 Posted by Vinny_Says (5713 posts) -

how does a User review on that website affect anything related to the game? Maybe he really likes the game?

#29 Posted by CitizenKano (25 posts) -
@Ramboknife: Dude, maybe someone was just interested. The guy gave you probably 5 minutes of entertainment and for that you said he was sad. Get out of here man.
#30 Posted by Lotus (208 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:

" @Feigr said:

" @Ramboknife said:
Doesn't really make it any less sad.  "
Use internet = sad life.    
#31 Posted by Jayzilla (2563 posts) -

it's better than fans on gamespot writing game reviews that are actually critiques of other players reviews.

#32 Posted by Hailinel (24970 posts) -
@Jayzilla said:
" it's better than fans on gamespot writing game reviews that are actually critiques of other players reviews. "
I once read a GameSpot user review of Dead or Alive 4 that contained absolutely no information related to Dead or Alive 4.
#33 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@VilhelmNielsen said:
" The thing is 
  1. This is an employee, not the entire company Bioware. He isn't acting officially, but privately.
  2. It's common knowledge how screwed up publishers' views on Metacritic scores are. People lose pay, get fired or worse over Metacritic scores below a certain point (as I recall, there was something with Assassin's Creed not being allowed to have under a pretty high score. We're talking 7-10.)
Can't blame a guy in that enviroment wanting to protect his job. I'm not saying that's how things work in Bioware, but that's how it works someplaces.
"
Do user reviews matter though? Does anyone even look at those? I don't read user reviews unless they're written by someone I already know. Not some stranger writing a user review on Metacritic.
#34 Edited by NTM (7411 posts) -

At first I was thinking "Wow, he must be desperate for the game to get high praise..." Then I thought (now I think), well even if he rated it high just because it's a game he worked on, leave that aside and all I have to say is, just because he makes a game he can't be a critic like the rest of the public? Plus, you have no clue as to what his intentions were when he wrote the review, maybe he, like some others really did enjoy the game that much. Which I think if there was a game you liked as much, and you saw that, you wouldn't be complaining. So, even if you think it's obvious the reason why someone does something, don't assume. It should make you content that someone is as enthusiastic about their work, and feel that the project they worked on was a success even if you don't.
#35 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1735 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @VilhelmNielsen said:
" The thing is 
"
Do user reviews matter though? Does anyone even look at those? I don't read user reviews unless they're written by someone I already know. Not some stranger writing a user review on Metacritic. "
Good point. I'm not aware how the overall Metacritic score is calculated. I'm still holding the first point as very valid in this case.
#36 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11796 posts) -

Ehhhh... so? I trust user reviews on any game (1s or 10s) about as much as I trust Bobby Kotick to care about the people who work for him. The only thing that makes this relevant is the fact that the person who wrote these reviews is an individual who works for Bioware and probably feels the need to defend a game he just spent 18+ months of his life on, which I find understandable, if not entirely wise.The fact that this was even investigated is kind of sad in and of itself.

#37 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I went to the DA2 site one day after its release and a freaking pop up came up with all (positive ones only) the review scores.

LOOK GUYZ TEH RATINGZ SAYZ ITZ GOOD GAME SO BUY NAO K?

I remember a day where Bioware games were fucking quality and no site or magazine had to be named for that to be accepted.

#38 Posted by MKHavoc (1307 posts) -

This would only matter if metacritic user reviews were actually worth a damn.  It's a total waste of time to read any of them.  This guy might have just gotten fed up with seeing people who have never played the game bringing the average down.  Had the reviews already on there not been so dumb he probably wouldn't have reacted this way.  In the imaginary world where all of metacritic's user reviews are well thought, honest, and actually useful this might be something worth getting upset about.   

#39 Posted by damswedon (3194 posts) -
#40 Posted by Lukeweizer (2692 posts) -
@Ramboknife said:
Agreed.
#41 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -

If there's anything that I'm taking regarding this metacritic debacle, it's that from an objective standpoint: Dragon Age 2 went in a direction that a good percentage of fans didn't appreciate at all.
I'm sure that it's a good game, but from what I've deducted watching this all unfold, is that Dragon Age 3 needs to act more a bridge between the previous two titles in the franchise.

@FancySoapsMan said:

" Who says he can't like the games he's worked on. "
It's more of an ethics issue. Similar to big companies dropping great "customer reviews" on different websites. It shouldn't be done.
#42 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

It's a user review? Can one not user review their own products? The metacritic score isn't affected. 

It would be a scandal if they invented a publication or bought one out to give a certain score for Metacritic, but it's just one guy user reviewing it. Plus it balances all the really whiny assholes who give it a 1 without knowing what a 1 is really worth. Save that for horrible broken games that plain don't work or something. There's a clear level of craft, artistry and competence in this game for it to be far above a 1.  

Also the guy who did all this research and screen grabbing and pasting, my god he must have been pretty bored. Or had some kind of vocation against Bioware, whatever. 

#43 Posted by yinstarrunner (1205 posts) -

Even if he did this in his own time, it still worries me.  He works at Bioware, and even though I know this isn't some kind of official statement from them, I sincerely hope that his user review is in no way indicative of the attitudes of the folks over there. "Anything negative you see is just an overreaction...?"  It screams denial.

#44 Posted by Spoonman671 (4648 posts) -

That's pretty lame, but I find it hard to blame him in light of the whole campaign (from neogaf or 4chan or someplace ridiculous) meant to lower the games user review score on metacritic.

Also, you guys should check this out.

#45 Posted by LinksOcarina (161 posts) -

It's probably some dude going rogue.....does not reflect on Bioware except for the fact that he probably did it on his own.....

and since I hear his stuff was removed because it was a fake anyway.

#46 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Ahahaha, too much.

#47 Edited by Impossibilium (684 posts) -
@Ramboknife said:

You're posting on a Web site about video games.  Shouldn't you be out healing the sick and building houses for the homeless?
#48 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Thats worse than being in a band and wearing your own T-Shirt.

#49 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

If he did one review then I am OK with that.  If it turns out he was stuffing the review ballots then I wouldn't be OK with that. 
#50 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Lol, but it's a user-review so who cares? If I made a game I would write a user-review.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.