Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Bioware reviewing their own game on Metacritic

LinksOcarina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By LinksOcarina

It's not ok, but it's one dude. If Bioware got caught doing this twenty times over id be outraged, like everyone else.

But to be fair everyone does that shit anyway, which is why metacritic is stupid to begin with.

CmdrSheppard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202  Edited By CmdrSheppard

lol that pic is epic

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#203  Edited By tebbit
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " @Tebbit said:

" @yinstarrunner said:

" @Tebbit said:

" If it's OK for people who haven't played the game to give it 0's, it's equally OK for someone who made said game to award it a 10. 

Actually neither of those are OK.  Would EA be justified in requiring all employees to meet a certain "review quota" on metacritic user reviews? Because the message I'm getting from this thread is that people don't actually give a shit about ethics, so they might as well go all out. After all, user score means less than the critical reviews, but it's not entirely irrelevant.  Better to have an inflated one than one that's low.   Every sale counts. "
    Would EA be justified in setting a review quota? Of course not! That would be ethically wrong, and if that's the case here (and to be honest I have no idea), that would be ethically terrible. However what I suspect is the case here (and again I'm just guessing) is that that guy just wrote a review for the game, maybe because he felt he needed to right the injustices present in the user reviews section, maybe just 'cos. If you're going to say "because you made this product, you can't review it", then you should equally be asking "how many of these user reviews are based on a full playthrough of the game? How many of these people don't even own the game? How many are basing their score off of the 3 hours they played before losing interest?" What determines the legitimacy of a user review, and how would you police it?  Purely from Metacritic's viewpoint, user reviews consist of reviews from a broad range of people, with different experiences and backgrounds colouring their individual scores and write-ups. If you start excluding people for specific biases then wouldn't the whole thing be kinda redundant? It's not like Critic scores are made up exclusively of reviews by industry experts. "
    It's not that hard to determine the legitimacy of a user review.If someone has a monetary stake in the success or failure of a product and is masquerading as someone who doesn't, whether it be employees anonymously posting user reviews or big publications claiming fairness while catering to their advertisers, it is filthy. I really don't understand why everyone is OK with this.  It must just be because it's Bioware and the fact that the game got a ton of negative reaction.  Edit: it also makes me sad that the anonymity of the internet means things like this have probably been going on for a really long time now and will ultimately pick up the pace even more as time goes on.  Depressing. "
    I think that where this differs from large publications catering to advertisers is that user reviews are not sacred in any way. People don't look at user reviews and say "well here is a complete and balanced argument". At least personally, I assume that user reviews will be a big grab-bag of legitimate reviews, trolls, idiots and even the occasional marketer. I think that any reasonable person takes user reviews with a grain of salt, and as is the case with DA2, there is an enormous disparity between the user and critic reviews, implying that something is awry. 

Ultimately, the guy who posted that review was clearly biased, giving it a 10, and I don't think the reason why he was biased matters. There is always going to be bias in user reviews, they aren't professional and the aren't expected to be. Now if this guy wrote the review for Gamespot, I'd be raising an eyebrow, but the whole point of user reviews is that they can be written by anyone. If you start weeding out particular individuals then the Metacritic average score will become 60-80's, rather than the natural spread of one extreme (0) to the other (100). It just becomes meaningless. 

More meaningless than it already is, I mean.
    roylink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By roylink

Doesn't metacritic just add up official reviews? If so, who cares.  

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#205  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @yinstarrunner: Lolwut

Nobody's defending it because it's Bioware. 

They're defending it because it's one harmless review, that absolutely nobody should give a fuck about.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#206  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @yinstarrunner said:
    First of all, your analogy makes no sense to me.  Is the musician, roadie, or sound guy posing as a third party when asked this question? No, because everyone already knows he's involved with the band.Yeah, it is a USER REVIEW.  You're correct.  Just because it's not published in a magazine doesn't make this any less of an ethics violation.  There's a clear conflict-of-interest in a place where there shouldn't be one. I still think that the only reason this is getting a pass is because it's Bioware.  I bet if something like this happened with THQ and Homefront people wouldn't be so OK with it.  Or if, say, a bunch of devs working on the Witcher 2 were found out to be behind some of the downvoting on DAII. "
    Why would I make an analogy if they were a neutral party...

I'll even use a real world example. Mike Portnoy, the former drummer of Dream Theater, was asked to fill in for Avenged Sevenfold when their drummer died.  Do you think if people asked him "How do you feel about the guys in the band?" he would reply, "I shouldn't say."  In fact, I know for a fact he complimented them in several interviews.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @yinstarrunner said:
    First of all, your analogy makes no sense to me.  Is the musician, roadie, or sound guy posing as a third party when asked this question? No, because everyone already knows he's involved with the band.Yeah, it is a USER REVIEW.  You're correct.  Just because it's not published in a magazine doesn't make this any less of an ethics violation.  There's a clear conflict-of-interest in a place where there shouldn't be one. I still think that the only reason this is getting a pass is because it's Bioware.  I bet if something like this happened with THQ and Homefront people wouldn't be so OK with it.  Or if, say, a bunch of devs working on the Witcher 2 were found out to be behind some of the downvoting on DAII. "
    Why would I make an analogy if they were a neutral party...  I'll even use a real world example. Mike Portnoy, the former drummer of Dream Theater, was asked to fill in for Avenged Sevenfold when their drummer died.  Do you think if people asked him "How do you feel about the guys in the band?" he would reply, "I shouldn't say."  In fact, I know for a fact he complimented them in several interviews. "
    I missed the part where Mike Portnoy hid behind anonymity and virally marketed his band around the internet without disclosing his actual position within it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mar 9, 2011

This game sucks donkey! Who made this version??? Sucks ass. I played this and I feel like maybe a couple of grade 12 students got together and made a game. I mean who made this thing???? I'm confused! Wha happened from the first game???? Why so drastically **** from the first????  

--------- 

I'm so glad I care so much about user reviews. Heck I feel bad for bioware. Look we may not all enjoy the game but not a single game I have ever played should get below a 5. 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#209  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " I bet if something like this happened with THQ and Homefront people wouldn't be so OK with it. "
    If it was THQ and Homefront people wouldn't be hooting and hollering and OMG SCANDAL about it so no one would need to be OK with it. No one would give a shit. The only reason this has turned into a thing is because this is Bioware and the million angry nerds that hopped on the "DA2 sucks Bioware sold out to the EA devil" bandwagon are still caught in the bloodlust of irrationality.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#210  Edited By csl316

Meh, this type of stuff happens all the time.  They make profiles to hype things up on message boards using internet language (I saw examples with 1337 speak, lol).  This includes reviews.

Who knows, there could be Bioware employees on this site!!

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#211  Edited By DriveupLife

it's a user review, who cares? The guy might have been in accounting or something, he can put a review on metacritic if he wants to.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#212  Edited By Slaker117
    @yinstarrunner:  You also seemed to have missed the responses that point out user reviews have no standard to uphold. There is no sanctity that is being broken here. It's an open system, it does not demand objectiveness out anyone who uses it.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#213  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @yinstarrunner said:
    Why would I make an analogy if they were a neutral party...  I'll even use a real world example. Mike Portnoy, the former drummer of Dream Theater, was asked to fill in for Avenged Sevenfold when their drummer died.  Do you think if people asked him "How do you feel about the guys in the band?" he would reply, "I shouldn't say."  In fact, I know for a fact he complimented them in several interviews. "
    I missed the part where Mike Portnoy hid behind anonymity and virally marketed his band around the internet without disclosing his actual position within it. "
    What the fuck does it matter?  If some internet troll wasn't so intent on dragging a good game threw the mud because they don't like the direction it went, no one would have known.  I mean seriously, who the fuck GOOGLES THE USER NAME OF SOMEONE ON METACRITIC!?  I should go there and review all 3 version with a 10 on a fresh account?  Maybe that will lead to an internet investigation.

There have been interviews with Bioware made public of them saying they like there game.  There was a live demo of Dragon Age 2 before the release of them saying they like there game.  HOLD THE FUCKING PRESSES, SOMEONE WROTE A REVIEW ON METACRITIC.  CALL THE COPS.  Viral marketting... God this is ridiculous.  Metacritic is such an amazing source of Viral Marketing from the user review section...

If any game did this, I honestly wouldn't care.  What is wrong with having pride in something you have spent years crafting?  If no one though things they made were any good, no one would ever continue to make things.   I wouldn't care if those stupid people that make those DSIware notepad things wrote user reviews about there "game". 

I seriously hate the internet, and everyone one on it.  Myself included because I am arguing in this stupid thread.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#214  Edited By Rowr

I was reading through these the other day, and i took it that someone had posted that ironically and to take the piss at another 10 star user review that seemed obviously written by a PR machine. 

I'm still not convinced that isnt what this is and its fooled everyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.