Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

BioWare senior developer: DA2 was a one-year production

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By DonPixel

Other than Mass Effect no Bioware game has succed in capturing my imagination, Dragon Age looks super generic, Kotor was allright but the characters models were just plain uggly (not talking in a technicall standpoint).. 

perhaps they should work more with their art deparment, other than mass effect bioware stuff looks way nerdy generic-cliche. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ryanwho

I suspect a smaller company could make a game like Origins. Like, Reality Pump maybe. CD Projeckt Red. But yeah, I just don't see it coming from Bioware. Much in the same way I don't expect Square Enix to suddenly realize what an interesting idea they had with FF12. SE and Bioware, more the same by the day.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ryanwho
    @Brendan said:
    " I'm glad I'm not the first person to say that I'm skeptical of the legitimacy of the post, but I am a little sad it took until the second page to find someone who finally said it.  Does anyone really think a developer with a shred of respect is really just gonna lay it all down on the internet and potentially throw their team under the bus?   "
    I think there's a reason a lot of developers don't do interviews. Remember Dennis Dyack? Devs get weird about their games, they have personal attachments and I'm sure it pisses them off to see it received poorly especially when they think it could have been avoided. Something like that can create an interview like this.
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By SonicFire

Well it sure as hell looked as though the Dev cycle was woefully short
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By phantomzxro
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @phantomzxro said:
    Granted i think on a technical level look wise it on par with all the games listed (maybe red dead may have the edge) but under the hood ME and DA are doing a lot more then what other games are doing. "
    Really? I don't see it. To be honest, I can't even really figure out what you think is going on "under the hood" in ME/DA that's all that complex. "

Granted  i'm baseing this on Mass Effect 2 looking on par with any of the games listed, the only game i will give some props is red dead because they game looks great with almost no load times or nothing.  I would say fallout 3 looks just as ugly as dragon age origins (both still great games). I would say that i give credit to bioware in their work because they are one of the few to truly build around your game continueing after the game into the next with tranfering save games over which i'm sure is not easy too do.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By metal_mills
    @Brendan said:
    " I'm glad I'm not the first person to say that I'm skeptical of the legitimacy of the post, but I am a little sad it took until the second page to find someone who finally said it.  Does anyone really think a developer with a shred of respect is really just gonna lay it all down on the internet and potentially throw their team under the bus?   "
    Well it's not his team. He didn't work in either DA games but really he didn't throw anyone under the bus. It's the first honest reply we've got from them. Rather than being hyper aggressive or acting like "NO ITZ U THATS BAD THIS GAME IS AWSUM" on their forums, which I'm guessing they were told to do, this guy says the production was short, but done well for the time that was given, and explained the reasons why. He never said DA2 was bad or slammed it.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Rattle618

Well I don't know if this guy is legit or not, but if he is considering Bioware stole someone's game just for talking some shit on a forum I'd say he needs to start looking for a job.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58  Edited By Animasta
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " @Brendan said:
    Well it's not his team. He didn't work in either DA games but really he didn't throw anyone under the bus. It's the first honest reply we've got from them. Rather than being hyper aggressive or acting like "NO ITZ U THATS BAD THIS GAME IS AWSUM" on their forums, which I'm guessing they were told to do, this guy says the production was short, but done well for the time that was given, and explained the reasons why. He never said DA2 was bad or slammed it. "
    and just so everyone knows, the DA2 thread on SA is full of people shitting on it, so that's why he didn't say it was the best game ever or anything.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By Enigma777

I'm not surprised. The game just feels smaller than DAO in every way and there's certainly the feeling that certain parts are missing (though that might actually be because of the frame narative). With that said, I still think it's a 9/10 (or 4/5) game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Jimbo
    @phantomzxro said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Dany said:
    " I still find it shocking that these Bioware games do not sell. Hopefully all of hte good will from ME2 will lead to good sales for ME3.  Considering that the production was only a year is crazy and it was able to fit in so much stuff is absurd. "
    How can two million in sales be considered not selling well? "
    Yeah i don't think it is bad at all, anything that sells a million is a hit. The problem is after that they expect to sell more then more and it goes on like that. Also it is something i'm sure they look like when they see every other major game AAA game selling more. "
    No, one million is just about breaking even on an average AAA multi-plat game nowadays.  ME2 did well for them at 2 million sales, but it's not really anything to shout about (which is why you don't hear them shouting about it).  

For perspective, if The Old Republic is really costing the alleged $300 million, that's equivalent to the profit from about ten Mass Effect 2's.  Or one FIFA 11.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @phantomzxro said:
    I would say that i give credit to bioware in their work because they are one of the few to truly build around your game continueing after the game into the next with tranfering save games over which i'm sure is not easy too do. "
    Maybe, but to me that felt like little more than a few on/off variables.

Is DUDE alive?
       if YES then QUEST = active
       if NO then QUEST = disabled

At least that's what it felt like to me anyways.
    Regardless, this is all heresay so it's kinda pointless.
    Kear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Kear

@ryanwho said:

""Quantity over quality? People like you are what EA and Activision count on. "

I didn't say quantity over quality, I just think both have value.  Games can take 6 to 8 years and still come out mediocre.  I think Dragon Age 2 is a good game, so I wouldn't have wanted to wait months or even years longer for a game that only might be better.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " Oh boy, I hope Dragon Age becomes an annualized series.  That'd be great. "
     Get your special gamestop preorder code (LE only) to let you import your save! Otherwise it'll be 5 bucks if you're one of those disgusting peasants that only buy used games. That or you can be stuck with shitty default stories that nobody wants!
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Nasar7
    @Kear said:
    "

@ryanwho said:

""Quantity over quality? People like you are what EA and Activision count on. "

I didn't say quantity over quality, I just think both have value.  Games can take 6 to 8 years and still come out mediocre.  I think Dragon Age 2 is a good game, so I wouldn't have wanted to wait months or even years longer for a game that only might be better.

"
    But...but that's against everything the N64 stood for! :(
    GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By GrandHarrier

You know, I really don't understand why it is suddenly "cool" to shit on Bioware. Some people are even beginning to say shit like, "ME2 was a mediocre game." Really? Fucking really? The game that got GOTY from most outlets last year and was generally agreed upon by the internet userbase as a whole? But one game that is substandard in your eyes and suddenly everything that Bioware has done in the last 5 years is dog shit. Oh come the fuck on. It's getting hard to breath in here with all the bullshit (man I'm saying shit alot!). They are even beginning to say stuff like "Alpha Protocol was an amazing game!" over on the Something Awful forums. Um. What? Did we play the same game? Because I got just about all the achievements in that train wreck of a game and it is pretty god damn bad.

I *liked* DA2. I thought it was a very serviceable game. In retrospect, I'm content with it, if I would have had to wait another 3-4 years for the full "DA:Oized" version of it. I mean, honestly, you're hearing shit like "The game looks like complete ass." This coming from the same people who hold "The Witcher" on a  pedestal (incedently, it was pretty god damn bad, boring combat from a broken game engine and a nonsensical storyline).

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ryanwho
    @Enigma777 said:
    " I'm not surprised. The game just feels smaller than DAO in every way and there's certainly the feeling that certain parts are missing (though that might actually be because of the frame narative). With that said, I still think it's a 9/10 (or 4/5) game. "
    Just having a new map for every dungeon would have made the game seem about 500% bigger. But when every cave leads to the same disheveled mine, you start feeling like you're in some kind of sadistic Truman show or rogue Matrix program.
    Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
    Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

8 months, huh? I guess I can't bitch about the reused dungeon thing anymore.

rpoland123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By rpoland123
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    " It could have benefited from recycling some stuff from DA:O. "
    hahaha, amen.
    nemo1342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By nemo1342
    @ryanwho said:
    . If you only have time for one, make a good game that looks like the last game. 
    I hardily second.  I can't fathom how I'm supposed to look at the short dev time as an excuse.  That's a decision.  They decided to make a mediocre game, and I'm sorry, but ultimately that's what it is.   

As to the sales, I'm curious as to how it works out.  Surely they see a better profit on units sold for DA2, but at what cost?  Before DA2 I would have said I would buy any Bioware game sight unseen. That's not true anymore.  I bought every expansion for DA:O, and as of now, I don't see that happening for DA2. 
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Karkarov
    @GrandHarrier said:
    " You know, I really don't understand why it is suddenly "cool" to shit on Bioware. Some people are even beginning to say shit like, "ME2 was a mediocre game." Really? Fucking really? The game that got GOTY from most outlets last year and was generally agreed upon by the internet userbase as a whole? But one game that is substandard in your eyes and suddenly everything that Bioware has done in the last 5 years is dog shit. Oh come the fuck on. It's getting hard to breath in here with all the bullshit (man I'm saying shit alot!). They are even beginning to say stuff like "Alpha Protocol was an amazing game!" over on the Something Awful forums. Um. What? Did we play the same game? Because I got just about all the achievements in that train wreck of a game and it is pretty god damn bad.

I *liked* DA2. I thought it was a very serviceable game. In retrospect, I'm content with it, if I would have had to wait another 3-4 years for the full "DA:Oized" version of it. I mean, honestly, you're hearing shit like "The game looks like complete ass." This coming from the same people who hold "The Witcher" on a  pedestal (incedently, it was pretty god damn bad, boring combat from a broken game engine and a nonsensical storyline). "
    Quoted for truth.  Especially the part about the Witcher.  I still can't believe anyone thinks the first Witcher game is anything other than average.  Crappy combat, poorly optimized for graphics, average graphics in the first place, generic story, mediocre soundtrack, I could go on for some time...
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Enigma777
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    " I'm not surprised. The game just feels smaller than DAO in every way and there's certainly the feeling that certain parts are missing (though that might actually be because of the frame narative). With that said, I still think it's a 9/10 (or 4/5) game. "
    Just having a new map for every dungeon would have made the game seem about 500% bigger. But when every cave leads to the same disheveled mine, you start feeling like you're in some kind of sadistic Truman show or rogue Matrix program. "
    I absolutely agree. It's a small thing, but another thing I missed was all the little item descriptions and unique item names. Much better than 10 different items with different stats all named "Ring" or "Amulet" or "Ornate Belt" 
    GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By GrandHarrier

Some real choice gems from those forums.

" Alpha Protocol, unlike Mass Effect 2, is more of a RPG than a shooter, it helps to look at it that way instead of excepting the game to be something that it isn't! e: It's like buying DA:O and getting pissed that it doesn't have Dynasty Warriors combat."

"Fable 2 was better than Mass Effect 2. "

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#73  Edited By Turambar
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    Just having a new map for every dungeon would have made the game seem about 500% bigger. But when every cave leads to the same disheveled mine, you start feeling like you're in some kind of sadistic Truman show or rogue Matrix program. "
    I absolutely agree. It's a small thing, but another thing I missed was all the little item descriptions and unique item names. Much better than 10 different items with different stats all named "Ring" or "Amulet" or "Ornate Belt"  "
    That they actually had.  Under each item was a term for what the item was made of.  Silverite, etc.  There is also a lot of uniquely named equipment in the game.  Just take a gander at your equipment Codex next time.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By kishan6

So if DA2 was developed mostly in 8 months.....  8 months ago is when the game informer reveal happened.... 
    So that means DA2 had very little if any work done by the time they had to meet up with gameinformer and show off the game. 
    To me that seems very unlikely for Bioware to show off a game they had been working on for say about 2 months. 
    He does also say that it was done MOSTLY in 8 months but im guessing it had the equivalent of 2 months of work done if it were the title they were focusing on even if it took longer they probly still had an equivalent amount of work done considering it clearly wasnt a major focus at the time.  I really hope you guys can understand what that last sentence was trying to say because i think i could have worded it better haha. 

Anyways I havent played it and I still want to no matter what people are saying about it even if im more a mass effect type fo guy. (PLEASE tell me that ME3 will go back to the inventory management of ME1 while keeping the solid combat of ME2)

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Harbinger_Of_Hippos said:

" 8 months, huh? I guess I can't bitch about the reused dungeon thing anymore. "

Except you absolutely can.  Designers can come up with any excuse or reason they want; in the end, the game was released the way it was.  You have every right to complain if you find something you don't like about a game. 

For example, if I thought the CG in a movie was shitty, the producers might say "Well, we only had a few months and a shoestring budget."  That doesn't negate the fact that the CG was shitty.  The product you released was the product you released.  If anything, you should find a way to work around those weaknesses, which Bioware arguably attempted.  I just don't like how they got around the problems they had.
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GrandHarrier said:

" Some real choice gems from those forums.

" Alpha Protocol, unlike Mass Effect 2, is more of a RPG than a shooter, it helps to look at it that way instead of excepting the game to be something that it isn't! e: It's like buying DA:O and getting pissed that it doesn't have Dynasty Warriors combat."

"Fable 2 was better than Mass Effect 2. " "

These are fucking opinions, everyone's entitled to them. 

Just like if someone was to say:
    "Mass Effect 2 was better than Fable 2. "  

Stop being so goddamn close minded.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Enigma777
    @Turambar said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    I absolutely agree. It's a small thing, but another thing I missed was all the little item descriptions and unique item names. Much better than 10 different items with different stats all named "Ring" or "Amulet" or "Ornate Belt"  "
    That they actually had.  Under each item was a term for what the item was made of.  Silverite, etc.  There is also a lot of uniquely named equipment in the game.  Just take a gander at your equipment Codex next time. "
    Did you play Origins? Because the items there all had what they were made of along with a few sentences of description. That applied for EVERY item. There were also special items just like DA2 that had their own codex pages along with the standard description. And a lot more items had unique names in Origins than DA2. 
    myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By myslead
    @Jimbo said:
    " @phantomzxro said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Dany said:
    " I still find it shocking that these Bioware games do not sell. Hopefully all of hte good will from ME2 will lead to good sales for ME3.  Considering that the production was only a year is crazy and it was able to fit in so much stuff is absurd. "
    Yeah i don't think it is bad at all, anything that sells a million is a hit. The problem is after that they expect to sell more then more and it goes on like that. Also it is something i'm sure they look like when they see every other major game AAA game selling more. "
    No, one million is just about breaking even on an average AAA multi-plat game nowadays.  ME2 did well for them at 2 million sales, but it's not really anything to shout about (which is why you don't hear them shouting about it).    For perspective, if The Old Republic is really costing the alleged $300 million, that's equivalent to the profit from about ten Mass Effect 2's.  Or one FIFA 11. "
    well they'll have a monthly profit too being a mmo no?
    GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By GrandHarrier
    @TheSeductiveMoose:  I appreciate that you didn't try to defend the Alpha Protocol one.

Yes, people are entitled to opinions. But when a discussion becomes dominated by hyperbole, you sort of wonder about it.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By phantomzxro
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @phantomzxro said:
    I would say that i give credit to bioware in their work because they are one of the few to truly build around your game continueing after the game into the next with tranfering save games over which i'm sure is not easy too do. "
    Maybe, but to me that felt like little more than a few on/off variables.  Is DUDE alive?    if YES then QUEST = active    if NO then QUEST = disabled  At least that's what it felt like to me anyways. Regardless, this is all heresay so it's kinda pointless. "

True but i feel all the games listed are good games if not great ones and i think all should be givin their props. All the games listed including dragon age and Mass Effect does something great in the gaming world and i welcome what they bring to the table. If it was a simple as you say i would think more games would have that feature in them. If it was truly that easy i would think it would be a standard in rpgs because that's what  rpg player often do is max out characters and find hidden stuff. If they could bring that stuff into other games it would be awesome.  

But to my point all these game should get their dues and i just feel like your selling ME and DA kind of short.
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GrandHarrier: It was easier just changing the place of Fable 2 and ME2.  

But who are you to decide what's hyperbole and what is not. To me saying that ME2 was a mediocre game isn't hyperbole (even though I might not fully agree with whomever made that statement).
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Turambar
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @Turambar said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    That they actually had.  Under each item was a term for what the item was made of.  Silverite, etc.  There is also a lot of uniquely named equipment in the game.  Just take a gander at your equipment Codex next time. "
    Did you play Origins? Because the items there all had what they were made of along with a few sentences of description. That applied for EVERY item. There were also special items just like DA2 that had their own codex pages along with the standard description. And a lot more items had unique names in Origins than DA2.  "
    I did.  And I remember the descriptions for generic items to be rather, uh, stock, and not that memorable.  As for special items that had their own codex pages, they are there in DA2, and they're not a rarity either.  As for items just with unique names, I actually would say the amount is quite comparable.  Its just that a good chunk of what's in DA2 are found in shops instead of as loot.  The numbers are no where near lacking either way.
    Kear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Kear
    @Nasar7 said:  

But...but that's against everything the N64 stood for! :( "

Dang, once again my understanding is vexed by my lack of console knowledge.  I was PC exclusive while the N64 was doing its thing.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#84  Edited By Hailinel
    @Kear said:
    " @Nasar7 said:   But...but that's against everything the N64 stood for! :( " Dang, once again my understanding is vexed by my lack of console knowledge.  I was PC exclusive while the N64 was doing its thing. "
    Some of the very best N64 titles (Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye) took years to make and were delayed more than once.  Meanwhile, some devs were busy shitting out horrible clones of Super Mario 64.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#85  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I really loved Dragon Age II but man if thats true, then imagine how much better it would have been with a full 2 year development cycle. 

Why were they given such a short amount of time? Hasn't Bioware earned the right to make a game on their own terms?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Turambar
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By phantomzxro
    @Jimbo said:
    " @phantomzxro said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Dany said:
    No, one million is just about breaking even on an average AAA multi-plat game nowadays.  ME2 did well for them at 2 million sales, but it's not really anything to shout about (which is why you don't hear them shouting about it).    For perspective, if The Old Republic is really costing the alleged $300 million, that's equivalent to the profit from about ten Mass Effect 2's.  Or one FIFA 11. "

yeah you are right and i'm not saying they should be loving them number, all i said was it's a hit if you sell one million. Which may not be true for all games or a AAA game. But i would say that anything that sell one million is green lit for another game. Also Mass Effect 2 was just recently a muti-plat game and their number reflexes that as well.
    nemo1342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By nemo1342
    @GrandHarrier said:

" You know, I really don't understand why it is suddenly "cool" to shit on Bioware. Some people are even beginning to say shit like, "ME2 was a mediocre game." Really? Fucking really?   

So... I understand where you're coming from here.  I do.  ME2 was a phenomenal game.  And yet... In terms of gameplay and plot structure it was very simplistic.  Which in and of itself isn't that bad, but bear with me here for a second.  Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights, KoTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect 1, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2.  Seeing it?  You see that?  That's a descending line.  Sadly, that descending line charts the fortunes of the RPG in general pretty closely, and I think that DA2 finally represents the crossing of a threshold.  That's why people are upset, and that's why they defend The Witcher and Alpha Protocol (LONG LIVE BLACK ISLE!).  Because those games, as flawed as they are, represent the ideals of the RPG, however flawed. 

Edit:  What I mean is that's a descending line of complexity, not necessarily overall quality.  That said, I think lowered expectations play in to what we make of the quality of those games.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Lukeweizer

Bioware games probably aren't selling as well as other titles because the crowd today doesn't want an RPG. And if they do, they'll buy something that goes back 10 years (i.e. Fallout, Elder Scrolls).

As for DA 2, I'm enjoying it. Running around the same city and dungeons is getting old, but they keep the story fresh with the time differences between acts. So, is that clever or lazy game design? The answer is probably "Cost Effective".

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#90  Edited By Hailinel
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Kear said:
    " @Nasar7 said:   But...but that's against everything the N64 stood for! :( " Dang, once again my understanding is vexed by my lack of console knowledge.  I was PC exclusive while the N64 was doing its thing. "
    Some of the very best N64 titles (Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye) took years to make and were delayed more than once.  Meanwhile, some devs were busy shitting out horrible clones of Super Mario 64. "
    And actually, to make another note, at least regarding Ocarina of Time, the dev team for Majora's Mask was given about a year to put a Zelda game together.  They ended up reusing a lot of Ocarina's assets, but at the same time, they managed to put together one of the most original, darkest, and outright strange Zelda titles in the history of the series.

By all accounts, Dragon Age II is just Dragon Age Light.
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#91  Edited By dtat

Yep. Rushed dev cycle, sub par game. Imagine that.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By amir90

I wonder how they are able to get 3 games out on the same year, I hope it is different teams on the different games :o

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Enigma777
    @Turambar said:
    " @Enigma777:   Actually, after a quick google image search, I found this.   http://www.webalice.it/linea.tth/img/Inventory.jpg  There's not really much of a difference between that and equipment description in DA2. "
    That's a bad example. Here's a better one  http://www.damods.com/forums/downloads/ss/MoRobe1.jpg 

Again, it's not a major thing, but it's slight touches like these that immerse me in a game and I was really bummed out when I found you that most items in DA2 lacked those descriptions. For example there's a bunch of "loot" that was just begging for description like "tiger eye fragment" or "empty stained bottle" and so forth. 
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By CaptainCody

I'm not at all surprised, the game isn't exactly high quality.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By phantomzxro
    @nemo1342 said:
    "@GrandHarrier said:

" You know, I really don't understand why it is suddenly "cool" to shit on Bioware. Some people are even beginning to say shit like, "ME2 was a mediocre game." Really? Fucking really?   

So... I understand where you're coming from here.  I do.  ME2 was a phenomenal game.  And yet... In terms of gameplay and plot structure it was very simplistic.  Which in and of itself isn't that bad, but bear with me here for a second.  Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights, KoTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect 1, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2.  Seeing it?  You see that?  That's a descending line.  Sadly, that descending line charts the fortunes of the RPG in general pretty closely, and I think that DA2 finally represents the crossing of a threshold.  That's why people are upset, and that's why they defend The Witcher and Alpha Protocol (LONG LIVE BLACK ISLE!).  Because those games, as flawed as they are, represent the ideals of the RPG, however flawed. "

You bring up a great point but i still feel like you have to let bioware try and find a happy middle ground. Because i will agree that there may be this descending line but is that really a bad thing. All the games listed are still good games. If they made any of the games of old how well will they really sell? So i don't blame bioware for trying to find a middle ground, yes we may have to take some lump along the road to get to that point but they are still making good games. Alpha protocol may be a cool rpg and does some great things but it is still a badly made game.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#96  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Kear said:
    Some of the very best N64 titles (Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye) took years to make and were delayed more than once.  Meanwhile, some devs were busy shitting out horrible clones of Super Mario 64. "
    And actually, to make another note, at least regarding Ocarina of Time, the dev team for Majora's Mask was given about a year to put a Zelda game together.  They ended up reusing a lot of Ocarina's assets, but at the same time, they managed to put together one of the most original, darkest, and outright strange Zelda titles in the history of the series.  By all accounts, Dragon Age II is just Dragon Age Light. "
    Excellent point.
    nemo1342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By nemo1342
    @phantomzxro said:
     Alpha protocol may be a cool rpg and does some great things but it is still a badly made game. "
    To briefly stray in to total subjectivity I will say that I enjoyed Alpha Protocol more than DA2 so far.  I don't know that I realized that until I was typing it, but there it is.  And considering that that was something of a novice effort (in the shooter realm) from a studio notorious for making broken games, that's a problem.  To broaden the point, many many of my favorite games, my favorite RPGs in particular, are really flawed efforts that nevertheless have some alchemical magic to them.  That comes from time to a degree, but more than that it comes from care.  DA2 lacks the magic, and it's because someone doesn't care.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By phantomzxro
    @nemo1342 said:
    " @phantomzxro said:
     Alpha protocol may be a cool rpg and does some great things but it is still a badly made game. "
    To briefly stray in to total subjectivity I will say that I enjoyed Alpha Protocol more than DA2 so far.  I don't know that I realized that until I was typing it, but there it is.  And considering that that was something of a novice effort (in the shooter realm) from a studio notorious for making broken games, that's a problem.  To broaden the point, many many of my favorite games, my favorite RPGs in particular, are really flawed efforts that nevertheless have some alchemical magic to them.  That comes from time to a degree, but more than that it comes from care.  DA2 lacks the magic, and it's because someone doesn't care. "

Not to rain on  alpha protocol because i do like what it did but saying someone did not care for DA2 i feel is a bit unfair. I'm sure people in both camps worked hard on their games and put a lot of work into it. But i feel both games could have used more time to work on them. But i feel DA2 is getting more hate because it's not origins then it being a bad game.
    Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Tonic7

Is anybody else sitting here reading these posts and thinking, "My God, I hope they didn't do the same thing with Mass Effect 3," ?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#100  Edited By TheHBK

1 year dev cycle?  Well no one seems to complain about that, its just that they took out so much from the first game, that you wonder why they did bother adding new combat and using a different dialogue mechanic.  Just weird.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.