Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Can we talk about some story points? (for people who finished)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ryanwho

It occured to me after reloading a save to see the 'paladin' ending (I saved the mages first) that the catalyst for both wars in this game are motherfuckers in your party. First Isabella goes "oh by the way I stole the book" but only after imminent war. The Anders goes "oh by the way Im a terrorist now" and starts a second war. It seems like a weird choice to have the catalysts for war in the party, and yet you can't change the fact that Isabella's thievery starts a war then Ander's mage rage starts a war. Anyone else bothered that you can fuck these people or shit on everything they believe in, but you can't have any sway on this? I feel especially strongly that you should be able to talk Anders out of it. I'm tempted to think this was just a matter of them not having the time to give you sway over big choices. But if that's the case, you should have people not in the party do this shit? Cus its cognitive dissonance when Anders never leaves my sight and somehow he built a magic bomb.   

High_Nunez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By High_Nunez

I wanted to kill Anders, but I decked him out so nicely I figured why kill a valuable asset. I was also tempted to hand Isabella over to the Qunari but I figured I'd invested in that romance already, and I wanted that achievement. I hate that the game forces you to choose a side. I wish there was a way you could tell them both to fuck off, but then there'd be no third act I guess. There's some sway I think, I've read online that if don't have a high enough friendship with Isabella she won't return with the book at the end of the 2nd act. As for Anders, I wonder what would've happened if I refused to help him. 

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Simplexity

I am more bothered by the fact that there is seemingly no reason for Anders to do what he did, what good could possibly come out of randomly nuking some chantry? 

Also Bioware really set this story up in a weird way, you have choices but in the end what you choose doesn't really matter it all ends the exact same way which I guess it has to for gameplay reasons but they should really have made some changes to that. 

Also how dumb is the last choice, "are you for or against Genocide" is the question basically. Who actually chose the Templars side the first time around?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

I threw Isabella to the wolves cus she was annoying. She came back with the book and I gave her up. But then she just escapes with the book. So its like, okay, Bioware really want Isabella to have that book and be alive and free I guess. But I guess for me, it just called to attention your general lack of control when they make it seem like you gotta choice then everything ends up the same no matter what. Like, Im fine if they insist those 2 wars must happen. Both wars seemed kind of inevitable, though, so I feel like I should at least be able to keep my own dudes from starting the war. The mages and paladins were ready to kill each other before the chantry blew up. It didn't feel like something that absolutely needed to happen.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

Let's just say that this isn't the strongest story Bioware have written. In fact, it's been really mediocre at best. What they really wanted to do was to write a story but have your companions be deeply involved with it so that it makes you care about the story more. I like the concept and the structure of it but they could've pulled it off better.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

I thought the story they were telling was interesting, though it kind of felt like they just told the same story twice in a row. You could read a bigger message into that, that the mages and paladins only kept peace in the presence of Qunari because Qunari were even more alien. Right, its like once the war with 'them' is over, you fight amongst yourselves. I get it. The execution just had some issues. It felt more expository, like something you resolve on the side while a bigger mission comes to light. Like Orzammar in the first game, between the political infight, then later the golem thing, kind of hit all these points as a side story.

It seemed like the setup was someone finds a "one ring" in the Deep Roads, I mean that's basically what it is. And you deal with the brother but the magic object is gone, only to appear again at the very very end. I kinda expected maybe a blood mage rebel got his hands on it and created a threat that caused the mages and paladins to unite again. That's where I expected things to go. I expected a sweeping new force to show up. I was fighting blight most of the game, I thought maybe that object would open a portal or something and then it'd be humans v blight. But to just have Meredeth go "oh by the way, I found that object from before that you forgot about, made a sword from it, haven't tested it out ever, I guess it brings statues to life," that didn't feel like where things were building up.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nottle

I guess thats what Anders was doing during these 3 year time gaps. Seems like many things in this game are out of your control.  

By the way, I thought this story had some rediculously stupid moments. The part where Hawke's mom dies... I just couldn't believe. You know something was going to be bad, but I wasn't expecting her to be the bride of frankensten. I was expecting it to be like Varrics quest where he was just making stuff up out of boredom. I was waiting for a "BULLSHIT" from Casandra, but sadly that never happened.   
    Also when I sided with the mages, Orsino making that heel turn seemed so out of chracter. "Looks like everything is hopeless now, guess I'm a easy ass Harvester boss fight. Turns out Merridith was completely right about the bloodmages, we aren't innocent at all."  Things seemed tied together but in weird ways. Like the idol Varrics brother wanted was Meridith's sword all along, and the book Isabella stole happened to be what the Quanri wanted.  
    The sibling dying at the begining to a Ogre was also very dumb. It was so early and just HEY 1 OGRE KILLED THEM real fast.

I feel like all of the big choices are entirely dependant on other party members, Isabella, Fenris, and Anders are able to decide a whole lot more than Hawke ever did. Why not  just let me play as Anders. He seems way more important.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah with Orsino. I wiped the floor with those paladins. I don't think they even got out of the hallway. And he's talking about hopelessness. I guess they wanted everyone to experience that fight but I woulda been fine only seeing it when Im his enemy.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By gosukiller

The Orsino corruption really made me angry. He was the beacon of reason throughout the story and The Champion was so supportive of him that he shouldn't have freaked out. We were wiping the freaking floor with the Templar army. Guess I expected too much choice from this game.

My female mage was romanticly involved with Anders and even she couldn't talk him out of that very impressive explosion. 

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rattle618

I suppose the fact that the game's overall story is driven by the people you do everything with is consistent with their "10 years in the life of this dude" approach (as opposed to the epic save-the-world one) so in that regard it makes sense, I can see your point and I feel maybe it could have been executed a bit better, but then again having no big overall story forces them to rely on these scumbag party members and their decisions for twists in the tale.  
    Some of it does work very well though, I loved the Merrill arc and how she: 

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Vaile

It was ridiculous, and not in a good way. I could tell you why, but it would basically just be a reiteration of everything you've already said. 

Oh well. I went back to playing Origins.  
    That was such an awesome game, I wonder if they'll ever make a sequel.

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nexas

I agree that half the problems in this game comes from the fact that your companions are pricks, but I disagree that I should be able to talk them out everything. One thing I've always found silly about RPGs is the player characters uncanny ability to convince others to throw away their deeply held convictions and conform to yours. No matter how convincing of an argument you make, Anders is always going to be passionate about Mage freedom to the point of obsession. The fact that he's been merged with a corrupted spirit of justice doesn't help matters either. And with Isabella, you do have an impact on her. I never used her on my first playthrough because I thought having a second DW rogue would be redundant, and because of that we weren't very close and she never brought the book back.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah the Merrill thing was nice. But it seems like the reason they let you do that is because the elves live in relative isolation and don't factor into the main story. Its like killing campers. Who's gonna know? But that's another thing. Shouldn't they factor in somehow? When they see the city on fire, shouldn't they be compelled one way or another? Or are they a metaphor for China?

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Jayzilla

i can't stand when a game gives you a choice and then that choice ends up having the opposite effect of what you intended it to have. When I get games like this I always save before big parts, and then choose the opposite and the same thing happens. If the game you are peddling to me is only offering the illusion of my choices having an affect on the game world, then tell me that. Don't tell me my choices matter when they in truth, do not.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gosukiller
    @Vaile said:
    " Oh well. I went back to playing Origins.  That was such an awesome game, I wonder if they'll ever make a sequel. "
    I lol'd.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho
    @Nexas said:
    " I agree that half the problems in this game comes from the fact that your companions are pricks, but I disagree that I should be able to talk them out everything. One thing I've always found silly about RPGs is the player characters uncanny ability to convince others to throw away their deeply held convictions and conform to yours. No matter how convincing of an argument you make, Anders is always going to be passionate about Mage freedom to the point of obsession. The fact that he's been merged with a corrupted spirit of justice doesn't help matters either. And with Isabella, you do have an impact on her. I never used her on my first playthrough because I thought having a second DW rogue would be redundant, and because of that we weren't very close and she never brought the book back. "
    Anders doesn't have to change, but it seems weird that he has to be in the party and has to be a terrorist. I feel like I should have found out his true intentions by taking him into the fade (which I did, and Merrill, and she had her moment of truth there) and once I found them out, if he wasn't willing to bend, shouldn't he have left?
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nottle
    @ryanwho: It just seemed so stupid. I know Dragon Age is supposed to be about the gray area. Really no one is good or evil because both Orsino and Meridith were trying to protect people. But they just paint Merridith as a person willing to commit genocide to achieve that goal, while Orsino was the victim trying to protect his people (ever notice he was also an elf?) 

Then out of nowhere he looses his will to live and does some blood magic that he knew all along. It's like bioware was just trying to shove in the message, "even the 'good' guy does bad things."
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mazik765
    @Prodstep said:
    " I am more bothered by the fact that there is seemingly no reason for Anders to do what he did, what good could possibly come out of randomly nuking some chantry? "
    I thought they stated pretty clearly why he did it.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

For the Orsino thing. I think it could have worked if they have a templar hunter poof out and slice him up in a cutscene, leaving him no choice. But as it was, yeah, it seemed weird for him to suddenly decide he should become a monster. Meanwhile earlier in the game, he seemed to be going on a suicide mission against Qunari in order to get me to the viscount. What happened to that guy? The guy who faces an army of 7 foot horned dudes and doesn't bat an eyelash?

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nottle
    @Rattle618: With Meriill though you don't have to doom the village you have some choice there. I was able to get by only killing the keeper.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cornman89

My main sticking point is the Deep Roads expedition.

Maybe I missed some dialogue 'cause I punched that rock demon guy in the face, but what the fuck was going on in the Primeval Thaig? What happened to the dwarves down there to make them Profane? Why is the lyrium down there so messed up? What is the lyrium idol? Why does it drive people nuts? As the object that is at least 33% responsible for the mage-Templar war, the lyrium idol is woefully under-explained.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

I was expecting the idol to be a prison for a fade demon. In my imagined version of the game, if you have enough diplomacy you can prevent the qunari war and the mage war and by doing that, you can summon those armies to help you in the fight against this new demon. Its not Shakespear and it doesn't need to be, it just needs to account for the plotpoints they threw out there. I just, idunno. Okay, act 1 happens because you need money to restore your family. Alright. And it alludes to the lyrium idol playing a big part later in the story. Then later your sister's forced into the circle, you seemingly don't care about getting her out. Now you're losing me a bit. Qunari tensions building up. Okay, fine, this just an appetiser to get to know the key players before bringing in the enemy. Then, oh, mom's dead, random serial killer. What? So now family honor isn't a factor, and revenge isn't a factor because she's immediately avenged. What's driving Hawke to further intrude? This is where I would think you start the lyrium idol story that seemed to be the center of the plot in act 1. 

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nexas
    @ryanwho Funny thing. Anders is one of the two companions who doesn't betray you in the Fade ( the other being Sebastian). When you take him with you Justice takes over.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nottle
    @ryanwho: Orsino easily could have been one of my favorite characters in this game had his heel turn made more sense, I understand maybe he had the temptation of learning blood magic (despite the fact that he's a liar and/or hypocrite for doing so) but he seemed an alright guy. The he saw a few dead mages and more templars that could have been dealt with easily and had to wuss out.

Him taking out those Qunari was pretty bad ass. When that cutscene happened I was like OH YEAH MAGIC IS AWESOME.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cornman89

Both Meredith and Orsino are fairly shallow characters. They're both emblematic of the larger struggle between mages and Templars, but there's nothing to them beyond that. In general, the entire third act was weak until the very end. At least we got Qunari.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Turambar
    @Nottle said:
    " @Rattle618: With Meriill though you don't have to doom the village you have some choice there. I was able to get by only killing the keeper. "
    Same thing happened for me.  Only the keeper died.
    nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nexas
    @Nottle said:
    " @ryanwho: Orsino easily could have been one of my favorite characters in this game had his heel turn made more sense, I understand maybe he had the temptation of learning blood magic (despite the fact that he's a liar and/or hypocrite for doing so) but he seemed an alright guy. The he saw a few dead mages and more templars that could have been dealt with easily and had to wuss out. Him taking out those Qunari was pretty bad ass. When that cutscene happened I was like OH YEAH MAGIC IS AWESOME. "
    Orsino was never an alright guy.The research he talks about before turning into the Harvester was Quentin's, the man who murdered your mother. He was protecting a serial killer for years because he thought it would make the mages look bad.
    Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mike76x
    @Cornman89 said:
    " My main sticking point is the Deep Roads expedition.  Maybe I missed some dialogue 'cause I punched that rock demon guy in the face, but what the fuck was going on in the Primeval Thaig? What happened to the dwarves down there to make them Profane? Why is the lyrium down there so messed up? What is the lyrium idol? Why does it drive people nuts? As the object that is at least 33% responsible for the mage-Templar war, the lyrium idol is woefully under-explained. "
    Golems of Amgarrak takes place in a Thaig full of corrupted lyrium, corrupted lyrium can alter reality.
    I don't think the idol was the cause of Meredith's actions, it was just there to explain her turning on you, like Orsino's bloodmagic. 
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rattle618

I say we write this game off as a very elaborate bridge towards what will be an awesome DA3 and leave it at that, cause my brain almost died trying to explain all the loose ends and weird shit.
    On the other hand I did start a new playthrough right after I finished the first one, and Im not the kind of guy that replays games very often, that says something I think.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Nottle said: 

@ryanwho: Orsino easily could have been one of my favorite characters in this game had his heel turn made more sense, I understand maybe he had the temptation of learning blood magic (despite the fact that he's a liar and/or hypocrite for doing so) but he seemed an alright guy. The he saw a few dead mages and more templars that could have been dealt with easily and had to wuss out. Him taking out those Qunari was pretty bad ass. When that cutscene happened I was like OH YEAH MAGIC IS AWESOME. "

Yeah, and in Origins, blood magic was complex shit that you had to study and train at in secret.  It seemed like you'd have to get your hands on forbidden material, read it cover to cover, and eventually you could learn blood magic.  In DA2 it seems like any mage could do blood magic if they had a knife on them.     

@Nexas said:
    " @Nottle said:
    " @ryanwho: Orsino easily could have been one of my favorite characters in this game had his heel turn made more sense, I understand maybe he had the temptation of learning blood magic (despite the fact that he's a liar and/or hypocrite for doing so) but he seemed an alright guy. The he saw a few dead mages and more templars that could have been dealt with easily and had to wuss out. Him taking out those Qunari was pretty bad ass. When that cutscene happened I was like OH YEAH MAGIC IS AWESOME. "
    Orsino was never an alright guy.The research he talks about before turning into the Harvester was Quentin's, the man who murdered your mother. He was protecting a serial killer for years because he thought it would make the mages look bad. "
    I never made that connection.  Thank you so much for explaining one of the most confusing aspects of the game to me.  For some reason, I had just assumed that he was referring to the crazy scientist dude from Warden's Keep in Origins, I don't know how I missed that.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho
    @Mike76x said:

" @Cornman89 said:

" My main sticking point is the Deep Roads expedition.  Maybe I missed some dialogue 'cause I punched that rock demon guy in the face, but what the fuck was going on in the Primeval Thaig? What happened to the dwarves down there to make them Profane? Why is the lyrium down there so messed up? What is the lyrium idol? Why does it drive people nuts? As the object that is at least 33% responsible for the mage-Templar war, the lyrium idol is woefully under-explained. "
    Golems of Amgarrak takes place in a Thaig full of corrupted lyrium, corrupted lyrium can alter reality.I don't think the idol was the cause of Meredith's actions, it was just there to explain her turning on you, like Orsino's bloodmagic.  "
    It was there because if she was just a skilled warrior, that's not a final boss fight. But then, I wonder if she was the final boss, originally. I kind of feel like there's another act that was supposed to happen. Not a whole new story, just one more act. Someone behind the scene exacerbating this conflict. Pink ooze under the city making everyone especially combative. Vigo the Carpathian stuck in a painting. Something. How about Anders for a final boss? What if he ended up having the Lyrium and thought it would play a key role in freeing the Circle? Imagine a skilled mage, with a conflicted spirit inside him, who's mad as hell, who now has this Lyrium idol. This sounds like a final boss to me. He wouldn't even need blood magic.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cornman89
    @ryanwho: It's not exactly what you're talking about, but "The Enigma of Kirkwall" codex entries allude to an old Tevinter ruin beneath the city. Which I'm almost certain will appear in DLC.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By wrighteous86
    @ryanwho said:
    "It was there because if she was just a skilled warrior, that's not a final boss fight. But then, I wonder if she was the final boss, originally. I kind of feel like there's another act that was supposed to happen. Not a whole new story, just one more act. Someone behind the scene exacerbating this conflict. Pink ooze under the city making everyone especially combative. Vigo the Carpathian stuck in a painting. Something. How about Anders for a final boss? "
    They already had the nonsensical giant walking statues at the end wrecking shit up. I wouldn't have been surprised. 

No Caption Provided
    nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nexas
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Mike76x said:

" @Cornman89 said:

Golems of Amgarrak takes place in a Thaig full of corrupted lyrium, corrupted lyrium can alter reality.I don't think the idol was the cause of Meredith's actions, it was just there to explain her turning on you, like Orsino's bloodmagic.  "
    It was there because if she was just a skilled warrior, that's not a final boss fight. But then, I wonder if she was the final boss, originally. I kind of feel like there's another act that was supposed to happen. Not a whole new story, just one more act. Someone behind the scene exacerbating this conflict. Pink ooze under the city making everyone especially combative. Vigo the Carpathian stuck in a painting. Something. How about Anders for a final boss? What if he ended up having the Lyrium and thought it would play a key role in freeing the Circle? Imagine a skilled mage, with a conflicted spirit inside him, who's mad as hell, who now has this Lyrium idol. This sounds like a final boss to me. He wouldn't even need blood magic. "
    Well Kirkwall has a deep history of murder and slavery. That kinda stuff tends weaken the Veil to the Fade, which might explain the demon and blood magic infestation.  At least thats how I saw it.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nottle
    @Turambar: The keeper died in mine to. So we did the exact same thing. The dialogue option when the elves are outside was silly though. When i chose "Stand down" Hawke sounded a lot more threatedning than i expected and the elves attacked. I had to reload. 
    @Nexas: The only reason he isn't a swell guy is some information he springs on you during the second to last sentence he ever says. We learn he protected Quentin (gasp your mothers killer) but up until then he denied supporting blood magic, and he was the victim of all the persecution. He scorned Anders and other apostates for his methods and seemed to be a voice of reason. Come to think of it... his character is kind of brilliant, if one were to say characters like Loghain, and Meredith were anti-heroes,  Orsino can certainly be called an anti-villain.  
     That said, the harvester part just seemed so unearned if I sided with the mages. Understandable if I sided with the templars. And that was a very dumb fight anyways.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwho
    @Nexas said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @Mike76x said:

" @Cornman89 said:

It was there because if she was just a skilled warrior, that's not a final boss fight. But then, I wonder if she was the final boss, originally. I kind of feel like there's another act that was supposed to happen. Not a whole new story, just one more act. Someone behind the scene exacerbating this conflict. Pink ooze under the city making everyone especially combative. Vigo the Carpathian stuck in a painting. Something. How about Anders for a final boss? What if he ended up having the Lyrium and thought it would play a key role in freeing the Circle? Imagine a skilled mage, with a conflicted spirit inside him, who's mad as hell, who now has this Lyrium idol. This sounds like a final boss to me. He wouldn't even need blood magic. "
    Well Kirkwall has a deep history of murder and slavery. That kinda stuff tends weaken the Veil to the Fade, which might explain the demon and blood magic infestation.  At least thats how I saw it. "
    Then it would make sense that this conflict culminates with a fight against the fade. Right? Aided by this idol that was hidden away for a good reason. One more act coulda smoothed things out. I get the feeling there is, in fact, one more act, and it'll be DLC. Which is not a fun way to conclude things, if that was their plan. 
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nottle

Jesus Christ... DA2 is Ghost Busters 2. All of a sudden the bard class is going to be a lot more useful because they can positivly charge the veil or something.
     "Hawke, is it true what they say about this blood Mage?" 
    *Joke choice* "Yes its true, this man has no dick."

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mike76x
    @Rattle618 said:

" I say we write this game off as a very elaborate bridge towards what will be an awesome DA3 and leave it at that, cause my brain almost died trying to explain all the loose ends and weird shit.On the other hand I did start a new playthrough right after I finished the first one, and Im not the kind of guy that replays games very often, that says something I think. "

I think thats exactly what it is just like Mass Effect 2. The shitstorm is coming and you can't stop it, all you can do is recruit people and try to fix what you can.. 
    Yes it frustrated the hell outta me that I couldn't  friend everyone, and I lost Isabella, Sebastian is planning on coming at me with an army, and I had to kill Fenris.
    Serious consequences (game-wise)  and Anders...that was an "Oh shit" moment along the lines of the Revan in KoToR or choosing Ashley over Kaiden. 

For Fable 3 Lionhead advertised "Your actions will have real consequences." But actually they don't because you just play for another hour or so and save everyone.
    DA2 has consequences, I actually had to sit there for a minute or two deciding if I should kill Anders or not. 
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Turambar
    @Nottle:  I don't think Meredith or Loghain can be called anti-heroes.  Loghain was a scheming, paranoid asshole.  Having him in the party and conversing with him only enforces his paranoia at foreign powers.  Meredith was just a bitch too with no redeeming factors, corrupting sword or no.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nottle
    @Mike76x: I just hate how the "Meaningful" choices are right at the end of act 3. Isabella doesn't count as a meaningful choice because no matter what she gets the book back. And I doubt Killing Anders will have any impact on anything. If he's killed some people will more than likely see him as a martyr and they'll become the cult of Justice or something. For some people this will be the second time Anders has died, which is kind of funny.
    Bioware has a way of funneling things together in a sequal. Mass Effect and Dragon age origins had choices that made me think "This is going to change things so much in the next game. " 
    Then you get an email from the Racchni queen or Alistair apears for a few minutes and those dreams vanish.
    Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mike76x
    @Turambar said:
    " @Nottle:  I don't think Meredith or Loghain can be called anti-heroes.  Loghain was a scheming, paranoid asshole.  Having him in the party and conversing with him only enforces his paranoia at foreign powers.  Meredith was just a bitch too with no redeeming factors, corrupting sword or no. "
    Loghain was an ass, but he honestly thought the Orlesians were the bigger threat, and he was saving Ferelden. He was willing to sacrifice himself to make things right.
    Same with Meredith, she believed mages are evil too and she was saving Kirkwall. By the end she didn't seem all that wrong.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By ReyGitano
    You know, when I first heard people complaining that I story was linear, I didn't get it. After finishing just now... I get it. There are just so many events that you can't change no matter what you do, and it's more disappointing than I would have thought a linear story could be. I suppose part of it is the illusion of choice, so when everything goes wrong despite your best efforts, you just feel worthless.
    LinksOcarina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#43  Edited By LinksOcarina
    @Cornman89 said:

" Both Meredith and Orsino are fairly shallow characters. They're both emblematic of the larger struggle between mages and Templars, but there's nothing to them beyond that. In general, the entire third act was weak until the very end. At least we got Qunari. "

I disagree. In fact id argue they were amongst the best written NPC's along with the Arishok. 

Look at it this way, yes they are part of the power struggle between mages and templars, but what made it complex was the fact that Meredith did NOT want to wipe out all the mages so willingly, she had no choice in the matter. Meredith and Orsino are both right and wrong at the same time, which makes it beautiful. Orsino is right in the fact that not all mages are evil or possessed; and we have seen first hand that blood magic can be used for good in both games several times; Jowan's involvement and redemption at the Arl of Redcliffe where he proposes a way to save Connor through blood magic, we see Alain save your sibling/friend from Grace's group, Merrill is not an inherently evil character yet uses blood magic for good reasons, despite how misguided they are as well. And your character in both games can use blood magic, and depending on how they are played really depends on how they are considered heroes throughout the game. 

It comes down to fear for them because of abuse and inherent ability, and Meredith plays on that fear, yet at the same time is right about the fear. The key is when Orsino says that not all mages are evil, and Meredith agrees to that; she has no choice in the matter because she follows her duty, and possibly because of the possession of the idol found in deep roads turned her passion into an obsession. Either way, she is locked into a situation where she can't budge from her position because of what has happened in game. When fighting templars oppressing mages and mages turning to blood magic to fight back, it basically becomes a social-political conflict that you see in the real world all the time.

And neither of them are right. That is the beauty of the situation because in the end, both sides have valid points, but it is an act of terror that throws it into the wind. Anders involvement in that was brilliant if you ask me. It was a man fed up with his anger and hatred, which by this point was manifesting itself literally through a spirit of vengeance for the crimes committed to his kind, standing up and fighting back. The problem is his instigation of this is what causes the final war. Anders is right when the circle and the templars and the chantry failed mages, and in the context of his emotional state in game, be it friendship or rivalry path, he started something that for his character, made sense, however vicious and cruel it can be.

In fact, I love that aspect of the game. It forces you to make choices. You choose if you can save your surviving sibling in the deep roads or abandon them if they are even there, you choose the fate of Isabela in act 2 and Anders in act 3, you can see party members leave your side because their points of view don't match yours; that is characterization and telling a story right for once. From a gameplay standpoint its a big risk to literally kill off a companion ten minutes in, and subsequently give you the chance to kill off several just because of how you play the game. But from a story standpoint it's sublime. I agonized over killing Anders, it was a moment that made me stop the game and think. I literally stopped playing for an hour and weighed the consequences; would I let a terrorist go free? Would I let someone I know from two games, my only healer in the party, survive when three companions are calling for blood on him already, while others wanted mercy?  Did I agree with his actions and should I applaud him for what he did?

It is a lose-lose situation, and that's the point of the entire endgame from a narrative standpoint. Orsino and Meredith succumb to the despair of their situations, regardless of their beliefs or convictions. It could have played out better, yes, but it makes sense given what occurs.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Nottle
    @Turambar: I disagree. I believe protecting your country from invasion and protecting society from the corruption of mages are both noble acts. The paranoia, stubborness, and asshole attitude are what make them anti-heroes. Thats the very definition of anti-hero, a person that does things for the greater good by using questionable methods. They've seen what happens when they let their enemies get the better of them, and they are both willing to risk lives in order to protect everyone. 
     Even with the sword, Meredith questioned her own motives. She even asked the maker if what she was doing was truly right. As we can see through out the entire story, she is right. Mages are easily corrupted and extremly dangerous, thats why the templars exist. But the templars make the sitiuation even more desperate for mages, thus the mages become more dangerous. It's  a positive feedback loop that has esculated into a war.
    LinksOcarina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LinksOcarina
    @Nottle said:
    " @Turambar: I disagree. I believe protecting your country from invasion and protecting society from the corruption of mages are both noble acts. The paranoia, stubborness, and asshole attitude are what make them anti-heroes. Thats the very definition of anti-hero, a person that does things for the greater good by using questionable methods. They've seen what happens when they let their enemies get the better of them, and they are both willing to risk lives in order to protect everyone.  Even with the sword, Meredith questioned her own motives. She even asked the maker if what she was doing was truly right. As we can see through out the entire story, she is right. Mages are easily corrupted and extremly dangerous, thats why the templars exist. But the templars make the sitiuation even more desperate for mages, thus the mages become more dangerous. It's  a positive feedback loop that has esculated into a war. "

Um....

the definition of an anti-hero is someone who rejects traditional values, both Meredith and Loghain embraced tradition. If anything Anders is considered more of an anti-hero, because he refused to accept the way the chantry and the circle conducted their services.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Turambar
    @Mike76x said:
    " @Turambar said:
    " @Nottle:  I don't think Meredith or Loghain can be called anti-heroes.  Loghain was a scheming, paranoid asshole.  Having him in the party and conversing with him only enforces his paranoia at foreign powers.  Meredith was just a bitch too with no redeeming factors, corrupting sword or no. "
    Loghain was an ass, but he honestly thought the Orlesians were the bigger threat, and he was saving Ferelden. He was willing to sacrifice himself to make things right.Same with Meredith, she believed mages are evil too and she was saving Kirkwall. By the end she didn't seem all that wrong. "
    Except nothing in the first game showed any Orlesian threat.  Loghain had no basis upon which to convince the player otherwise other than his own bias.  Further, he continued plotting against you up until the landsmeet.  As for Meredith, her intention goes far beyond keeping Kirkwall safe from mages.  The game makes a pretty convincing case for her being a power hungry person.
    LinksOcarina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LinksOcarina

the problem with Loghain is that he is basically a conservative who is paranoid about the world around him because of past experiences. He didn't need proof of his suspicions, he just assumed them outright, especially when Cailin was courting Empress Celene with letters. It is a geo-political conflict because he just doesn't want to be conquered again by old enemies, even though his actions cause a civil war unknowingly in his own country.

Loghain just picked the wrong side in the grand scheme of things, nothing more, nothing less. He is not evil at all, he just did what he thought was right because he believed it to be, same as Orsino, Meredith, Hawke, Anders, and every other character in Thedas.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#48  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I have to agree that Orsino using random blood magic at the end just so you could fight that shitty boss from Golems of Agmarrak again (even if you sided with the mages) was kind of dumb. But Anders blowing up the chantry was the perfect way to force a decision for the player, as well as to once again remind you that Mages can be assholes too, as otherwise I'm sure most players would be more inclined to side with them over the authoritarian templars. At least, that's what I think. I still sided with the Mages.

Personally, I'm just wondering what the ending will mean for the inevitable sequel/expansion.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Turambar
    @LinksOcarina said:
    " the problem with Loghain is that he is basically a conservative who is paranoid about the world around him because of past experiences. He didn't need proof of his suspicions, he just assumed them outright, especially when Cailin was courting Empress Celene with letters. It is a geo-political conflict because he just doesn't want to be conquered again by old enemies, even though his actions cause a civil war unknowingly in his own country.  Loghain just picked the wrong side in the grand scheme of things, nothing more, nothing less. He is not evil at all, he just did what he thought was right because he believed it to be, same as Orsino, Meredith, Hawke, Anders, and every other character in Thedas. "
    No, not quite.  Loghain stopped simply being a paranoid conservative when he left an entire army and the king to die.  Further, he gained great dickery status when he tried to have you killed for knowing the truth.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Nottle
    @LinksOcarina:
    No, an anti-hero is a character that does not have some key heroic qualities. They don't behave like a tradional hero. What about Loghain or Meredith is traditional? 
    " @Cornman89 said:  In fact, I love that aspect of the game. It forces you to make choices. You choose if you can save your surviving sibling in the deep roads or abandon them if they are even there, you choose the fate of Isabela in act 2 and Anders in act 3, you can see party members leave your side because their points of view don't match yours; that is characterization and telling a story right for once. From a gameplay standpoint its a big risk to literally kill off a companion ten minutes in, and subsequently give you the chance to kill off several just because of how you play the game. But from a story standpoint it's sublime. I agonized over killing Anders, it was a moment that made me stop the game and think. I literally stopped playing for an hour and weighed the consequences; would I let a terrorist go free? Would I let someone I know from two games, my only healer in the party, survive when three companions are calling for blood on him already, while others wanted mercy?  Did I agree with his actions and should I applaud him for what he did? It is a lose-lose situation, and that's the point of the entire endgame from a narrative standpoint. Orsino and Meredith succumb to the despair of their situations, regardless of their beliefs or convictions. It could have played out better, yes, but it makes sense given what occurs. "
    I feel like DA2 ruined the illusion of choice for me. In Origins I made decisions believing they would matter in the sequel. Turns out they hardly did. When the decision with Anders was made at the end I thought "Well this is a video game, I don't really care because it's not going to matter in the next game." I let him live because I was in a relationship with Anders, next playthrough I'll kill him or let him run. Things aren't about choice in this game as much as it's about having the right party member availible at the right time.

Ander's is an interesting character however. I have to wonder how much Justice is behind his decisions. Being a spirit, he's pretty much like an AI, he can make descisions but lacks the insight of what the reaction to those descisions will be. Justice is blind when it comes to his actions. Kinda funny.  

I remember in Awakening Justice asked, "why not strike out against you opressers and help your fellow mage be free?" Anders response was that he rather be not die. It's interesting to see this change. 

This is probably the most interesting thread I've seen on this forum. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.