Dragon Age 2 Demo Impressions

• 179 results
#1 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

Here are my impressions from the PC version of DAII. You can share your own if you like.  

- The combat is much faster paced than in DA1. Rogues feel like rogues, warriors are more vicious, and even mages seem to have a slight boost in fire rate. Everything is more flashy and visceral. You can still pause and direct orders, or you can go about it like an action game. Skill bars and tactics are still there as well, and most of the other interface is also similar to its predecessor. One criticism I have though is that it feels like your character is aiming at enemies' hitboxes rather than the enemy models themselves. For instance when I strike with the rogue's daggers, they swipe about half a feet in front of the enemy rather than on or in them. Also, if your character currently doesn't have a target but is getting attacked in melee they will just stand there rather than retaliating, a flaw carried over from DAO, and one which I see no point in existing. Overall however I would have to say the combat is improved from DAO.  

- A few things are similar...

...but you get more action-oriented aspects as well. 

- You still get Bioware's typical mix of voice acting, ranging from cringingly poor to breathtakingly believable. Overall however, it seems like an improvement. I found a lot of the voice acting from DAO to be "rote", that is, like reading from a script. There is still some of that (if the demo is any indication) here, but the proportion of nice, inflected voicework seems to have increased. 

- Speaking of talking, your character now gets dialogue options from a wheel a la Mass Effect. Your typical 3 responses are "polite", "cheeky" and "mean" (and also additional options depending on the dialogue, and usually also an "Investigate" option). The good and bad options seem par for the course, but I'm not too sure about the cheeky one. Dragon Age tends to be dark most of the time, so whenever you choose the cheeky option during dialogue it just sounds awkward and forced. We'll just have to see how that pans out in the full game I guess. 

- As noted EA interviews and as shown in this demo, there are cameos. And they may not necessarily be as you remember them...   

- The default female Hawke is actually well-designed and on par with the male Hawke! Congratulations Bioware! Only took 10 years! You can also customize your character, but that functionality wasn't available in the demo.

- From the demo, the rest of the characters don't seem like they'll disappoint either, looks or personality wise.

- The art redesign and graphical changes are...interesting.  

On the one hand, faces and character models have been greatly improved. Even the darkspawn are more detailed. 

However, everything looks a little "sterile", or empty. Bioware's notoriously bad ground textures are still there, as are the low-res uniforms (in closeup scenes they are hard to ignore). Some of the eyes could also use a little work, as I experienced the uncanny valley effect several times throughout the demo, and I'm not usually the one to notice that sort of thing in games. Basically, the character models and faces are an overall improvement over DAO, the rest of the game's visuals and some minor aspects...not so much. Not from what I can tell from the demo anyway. 

- Can't really say much about performance; the demo didn't support SLI so I had to force it through drivers, therefore I'm not sure the performance I got is necessarily that of the full game. I ran it at maxed DX10 settings, 1920x1080 with 4xAA; the performance was about the same, maybe slightly more demanding than it was for the same settings in DAO.  

- The game has a DX11 Renderer, which utilizes DX10 for most of the effects, but some extra dynamic lighting and ambient occlusion effects are reportedly included for those that have strong enough DX11 hardware.  

- As a whole, the game looks promising, and other than a few minor issues I had trouble faulting the demo. What was included was good and many aspects were improved over its predecessor. I think most people who liked DAO will probably like this game too. 
#2 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I played it on the 360 and I am very, very impressed. The combat moves around from being kinda boring to really intense. For instance, when the demo starts and the darkspawn are running at you it felt kinda plain but when the ogre busted in I was forced to use all of my abilities and it became enthralling (I even tried to press LT to block once, only to realize its not that action-y on consoles), but then as I was wading through the hordes after meeting Templar dude and manly lady I found it to be a little repetitive, but again as the second ogre came in it picked up again.

I'm currently sitting in the second area with the pirate lady and I don't want to go any further just so that I can keep it fresh for the full game.

Also, female Hawke is god damn beautiful. Those eyes, man, those eyes.

#3 Posted by PenguinDust (12553 posts) -

It looks really purdy on your PC.  I don't expect it to look as good on mine but still acceptable.  I could run DAO with all the bells and whistles with no problem.   

I probably won't play it until tomorrow since I'll download it over night.  My speed isn't the best (functional only) so it will take some time and I might as well be sleeping then.  

Thanks for this look at the PC version.  I've been reading 360 versions since it dropped this morning. 

#4 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Geno:  I'm probably not going to play the demo, so would you say the environments feel as small as most of them did in DA:O or is it hard to tell for now?

Also, not sure how I feel about those darkspawn.  Whereas before it basically seemed like they were orcs, now they kind of look like zombie orcs.
#5 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" It looks really purdy on your PC.
Man, it really does. Having just come from the 360 version, those screen shots look damn good. Especially the third-to-last one. It all looks so smooth.
#6 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Thank god, I was getting worried about the pc version. Looks like I'll be getting this then.

#7 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" @Geno:  I'm probably not going to play the demo, so would you say the environments feel as small as most of them did in DA:O or is it hard to tell for now?  Also, not sure how I feel about those darkspawn.  Whereas before it basically seemed like they were orcs, now they kind of look like zombie orcs. "
The demo had two sections: outside in the wilderness and briefly inside the city. I can't speak for the whole game, but the areas in the demo were quite small and linear, roughly the size of those in DAO if not smaller.  

Yeah the darkspawn change is a little confusing to me as well. Over the course of development they all became albino? 
#8 Posted by Keen_12 (140 posts) -

Just finished the xbox demo. Having played DA:O on PC...

>Was very surprised to find the control scheme wasn't complete shit.
>There was some slight hitching in some scenes
>The combat feels good. A more refined version of DA:O. Honestly, despite the flashy animations (which I don't really care for) it makes DA:O combat look like shit.
>If the entire game is as well tuned as the demo I'll be really happy.

That said MOST of the features were locked off (inventory? the fuck?) so it's hard to tell the depth of some systems

I'm reserving judgment on the performance until I see the final game. D/Ling PC demo now hopefully it runs better.
All in all, I enjoyed it.

Also @ the OP, I agree with you on the dialogue quality being all over the place hopefully it gets better.

#9 Posted by Keen_12 (140 posts) -
@Geno said:
" @EvilTwin said:
" @Geno:  I'm probably not going to play the demo, so would you say the environments feel as small as most of them did in DA:O or is it hard to tell for now?  Also, not sure how I feel about those darkspawn.  Whereas before it basically seemed like they were orcs, now they kind of look like zombie orcs. "
The demo had two sections: outside in the wilderness and briefly inside the city. I can't speak for the whole game, but the areas in the demo were quite small and linear, roughly the size of those in DAO if not smaller.   Yeah the darkspawn change is a little confusing to me as well. Over the course of development they all became albino?  "

Fear Me
#10 Posted by Guybrush (84 posts) -

After playing the demo I feel conflicted. I like the improvements to the combat, especially the rogue - feels so fast and fluid. 
The main thing that is getting me down is the voice acting. I played as both male and female and I think I'll be continuing as a female in the full game. The males voice? I don't know what it is, I just can't take it. Maybe it doesn't fit the model, which I obviously could change (which I totally would do, what's up with that beard?), but, I don't know, it just doesn't sit well with me. The female voice, while not outstanding, is much more bearable.
Then there's the other characters; your brother, my gosh He.Is.So.Stilted.  The mother and sister aren't much better either. Who knows though? I remember really disliking Alistair's voice in DA:O in the beginning, but wound up really liking him.
As mentioned by @Geno the environments, at least in the demo areas, are very bland. (I'm also playing on 360, so will not look as nice as PC anyway). 
So, as I said, I'm not too impressed, however, I'm also not put off. I won't be cancelling my pre-order and am hoping for some more interesting characters to appear.

#11 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Keen_12:  You have no idea how much I used to love the Power Rangers.  I once had Austin St. John's (red ranger) autograph. 
#12 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

I did not like the combat one bit, and I also had a very bad audio distortion glitch throughout the entire demo, which... well. Maybe I'll get it when it gets cheap, but I think the witcher 2 will tide me over until that happens :)

#13 Posted by Lukaz (181 posts) -
@Geno:  Remember that the game is being told through the words of Varric, your dwarven companion. This enables the developers to play around with a lot of visual and design decisions because it's likely that he speaks in partial truths about misconceived events, a commonality for storytelling (it probably explains why all the females have those enormous tits).
#14 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -
@Lukaz said:
" @Geno:  Remember that the game is being told through the words of Varric, your dwarven companion. This enables the developers to play around with a lot of visual and design decisions because it's likely that he speaks in partial truths about misconceived events, a commonality for storytelling (it probably explains why all the females have those enormous tits). "
another explanation is that nerds love big tits and bioware is nothing if not pandering
#15 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @Lukaz said:
" @Geno:  Remember that the game is being told through the words of Varric, your dwarven companion. This enables the developers to play around with a lot of visual and design decisions because it's likely that he speaks in partial truths about misconceived events, a commonality for storytelling (it probably explains why all the females have those enormous tits). "
another explanation is that nerds love big tits and bioware is nothing if not pandering "
Yeah, I'm not sure that I believe that an unreliable narrator is the reason all the women in this game are well endowed.
#16 Edited by Yummylee (22041 posts) -

The best ''DA2 impressions blog'' I've read thus far! I haven't played the demo yet, having the PS3 as my online proprietor of choice and living in the UK leaves me with a day longer wait for the demo, but I've watched all of what transpires in the demo via video. It looks pretty good overall, though the animations for the attacks look a little too slick for my tastes. It's most notable with the 2H weapons where they've now lost their powerful and heavy looking swings for something that more resembles an OTT painter with a giant brush and canvas.

#17 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" The best ''DA2 impressions blog'' I've read thus far! I haven't played the demo yet, having the PS3 as my online proprietor of choice and living in the UK leaves me with a day longer wait for the demo, but I've watched all of what transpires in the demo via video. It looks pretty good overall, though the animations for the attacks look a little too slick for my tastes. It's most notable with the 2H weapons where they've now lost their powerful and heavy looking swings for something that more resembles and OTT painter with a giant brush and canvas. "
you could make an American account and play it today.
#18 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" @Laketown said:
" @Lukaz said:
another explanation is that nerds love big tits and bioware is nothing if not pandering "
Yeah, I'm not sure that I believe that an unreliable narrator is the reason all the women in this game are well endowed. "
Actually it is part of Varric story telling. When you play the demo you'll see what I mean.
They have big tits when Varric is telling the grand legend of Hawke, but when the seeker demands the truth breasts get smaller.
#19 Posted by Yummylee (22041 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" The best ''DA2 impressions blog'' I've read thus far! I haven't played the demo yet, having the PS3 as my online proprietor of choice and living in the UK leaves me with a day longer wait for the demo, but I've watched all of what transpires in the demo via video. It looks pretty good overall, though the animations for the attacks look a little too slick for my tastes. It's most notable with the 2H weapons where they've now lost their powerful and heavy looking swings for something that more resembles and OTT painter with a giant brush and canvas. "
you could make an American account and play it today. "
Yeah, but I cba, frankly. Having to create a new email n all that, for a demo I know exactly what will happen in there and how it plays. 

Plus I plan to mix up my DA2 demo impressions with the Yakuza 4 demo in one blog, so it'll work in my favour to have them both available at once tomorrow.
#20 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@kingzetta:  Oh, really?  That's kind of interesting then.
#21 Posted by Arkkazeal (110 posts) -

Just finished playing it on PC and it left me stunned. Really enjoy the fast and fluid combat and animations. Its definitely more over the top than DA:O but I certainly love watching every darkspawn around me getting chopped in half and have limbs flying all over as I get some 2h sword whirlwind attacks going, then immediately charge dash and slaughter another group. Having loved mages so much in DA:O I'm glad that I can get some enjoyment out of warriors in this one, though still kinda torn between the two classes since those spells are pretty great as well.

#22 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @kingzetta said:
" @Abyssfull said:
Yeah, but I cba, frankly. Having to create a new email n all that, for a demo I know exactly what will happen in there and how it plays.  Plus I plan to mix up my DA2 demo impressions with the Yakuza 4 demo in one blog, so it'll work in my favour to have them both available at once tomorrow. "
It takes 5 seconds and you can type in giberish for your e-mail address. The USA store is also getting the Yakuza 4 today too.
When I made a Japanese account I typed in cake@cake.com as my e-mail address and laughed.  Also the Yakuza 4 demo actually blows compare to the Yakuza 3 one. The demo is you play in one fight for each of the 4 dudes and that's it. No story bits or mini games.
#23 Posted by BeachThunder (12088 posts) -

I love these impressions threads :D

#24 Posted by mordukai (7157 posts) -
@Geno: Can  you set up character tactic so they react to  other character's specific spells or conditions? It was something I missed dearly from DAO. 
#25 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -

Those are some bloody huge tits. 

*badum-tish*

#26 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:

" @kingzetta:  Oh, really?  That's kind of interesting then. "

It's actually a very jusifible abilitease. 
#27 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
" @EvilTwin said:
" @Laketown said:
" @Lukaz said:
Yeah, I'm not sure that I believe that an unreliable narrator is the reason all the women in this game are well endowed. "
Actually it is part of Varric story telling. When you play the demo you'll see what I mean. They have big tits when Varric is telling the grand legend of Hawke, but when the seeker demands the truth breasts get smaller. "
yes, it's all because of the story and not because nerds love big tits :)
#28 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1233 posts) -

Well, DX11 didn't work so well for me - 1FPS or there about. I have a 460 and an i5 (overclocked quite a bit), and seeing as the game should be extremely easy to run, there seems to be some issues. I read something about anistropic filtering messing it up, but hopefully it's fixed til the full version. It did look very smooth and nice in DX9 as well though, and oh my god, the combat! So incredibly fluid and powerful. It's very well animated, especially in comparison to the clunkiness of DAO. 

I look forward to it, but I decided not to spoil myself at all. I just tried it out to see how it runs, and well, at least I can rock on in DX9 for sure. Sigh. Hopefully the entire DX11 path is in for the full game, as some community dude over at BioWare posted that it's like all DX10 bullshit in the demo, while the full version is DX11 to da max.

#29 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @kingzetta said:
" @EvilTwin said:
" @Laketown said:
" @Lukaz said:
Actually it is part of Varric story telling. When you play the demo you'll see what I mean. They have big tits when Varric is telling the grand legend of Hawke, but when the seeker demands the truth breasts get smaller. "
yes, it's all because of the story and not because nerds love big tits :) "
Did you not read what I wrote? When he tells the truth her boobs get smaller.
#30 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
" @Laketown said:
" @kingzetta said:
" @EvilTwin said:
" @Laketown said:
" @Lukaz said:
yes, it's all because of the story and not because nerds love big tits :) "
Did you not read what I wrote? When he tells the truth her boobs get smaller. "
congrats to bioware for showing some restraint, at least; but why is it only the boobs, huh?
#31 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -

You know what I dislike? Corpses disappearing moments after they've hit the ground.

Other than that I don't have much to say about the demo.

#32 Posted by Pie (7108 posts) -

Played up to when you have a chat with your family and fight some more dudes (on 360) and thought it was crap. Maybe im just playing it completely wrong but the combat just seemed to be mash on A until one of your attacks is charged again and then carry on mashing A. The framerate (especially in cutscenes) was really bad and cutscenes seemed to hitch from time to time when cutting between camera shots. I thought it looked pretty bad graphically and I think those screenshots look pretty bad aswell. The voice acting all sounded pretty bad, especially the main character who sounded like a cheeky Jesus from a cartoon Iv'e watched, however I have just come from playing the chronicles of Riddick and watching some of the darkness which have some of the best VO I've ever heard in a game. I guess it's just not my type of game

#33 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Laketown: It's an abilitease. when he tells the truth, you lose your fancy armor, weapons and skills.
#34 Posted by Yummylee (22041 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" @kingzetta said:
" @Abyssfull said:
Yeah, but I cba, frankly. Having to create a new email n all that, for a demo I know exactly what will happen in there and how it plays.  Plus I plan to mix up my DA2 demo impressions with the Yakuza 4 demo in one blog, so it'll work in my favour to have them both available at once tomorrow. "
It takes 5 seconds and you can type in giberish for your e-mail address. The USA store is also getting the Yakuza 4 today too. When I made a Japanese account I typed in cake@cake.com as my e-mail address and laughed.  Also the Yakuza 4 demo actually blows compare to the Yakuza 3 one. The demo is you play in one fight for each of the 4 dudes and that's it. No story bits or mini games. "
Really? (referring to the Yakuza 4 demo) Well that's a shame. But as for downloading the demo's now: it's almost midnight over here and I'm past the point where I can be bothered to play any game right now, so I'll just wait it out.
#35 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" @Geno: Can  you set up character tactic so they react to  other character's specific spells or conditions? It was something I missed dearly from DAO.  "
To other's conditions (i.e. being attacked, paralyzed) yes, but I don't think if they're doing particular actions. 
#36 Posted by JoeyRavn (4992 posts) -

I just tried it on PC. No problem running at 60+ FPS in DX9 with VSYNC off (1600x900, Q8400@3.07GHz, GTX460 786MB 800/1600/2100, 4GB RAM 800MHz, Windows 7 Home Premium x64). The problem came when I tried to run it in DX11. Oh, boy. Dropped to 8FPS average. Why? DX11 is not supported in this demo, according to Bioware. Users have been reporting a shitload of performance issues in systems of lowis-high-end like mine to absolute beasts. They claim it will be fixed by the time the full game is released, but for me, it defeats the purpose of the demo. I know I would enjoy the game, I absolutely love DAO, but I wanted to know how well it would run on my PC.

#37 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1671 posts) -

first impression was not good ... I got my new PC a week ago and I think its a quite powerful machine but when I activated DX11 the first thing I saw were graphic errors and a framerate below 10. I noticed a couple of small other glitches, especially the tactics menue was very buggy for me. 

But other than that I was surprised how much I enjoyed it ... I loved DA:O and DA:A and finished both of them several times, so I was one of those that had doubts about the changes Bioware made, but it seems it turned out good in the end. I do like the artstyle the game has, the animations seem quite fluid and the sound is good. Besides some minor things (floating daggers on the back? really?) they got that covered.  

The combat seems fine even if I would like to be able to zoom out more, but well, I guess you cant have everything.  

The areas seemed even more narrow and "tunnely" than in DA:O, I hope that wont be the case in the final game (well, I hope there is at least SOME exploration).  

Overall im excited about the game and im glad I preordered it.

#38 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -
@Keen_12 said:
" @Geno said:
 Yeah the darkspawn change is a little confusing to me as well. Over the course of development they all became albino?  "

Fear Me
"
Oh god. Now when I look at Flemeth all I can think of is this: 

#39 Posted by LlamaLlama (174 posts) -

Only bad thing have with the demo was the healing cooldowns. And am I the only one who finds it stranger that people complain that DA2 is hack and slash now and then mention how much better they're going to like TW2 despite the fact that TW2 combat is basically strategic hack and slash?
#40 Edited by Yummylee (22041 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg said:

" @Keen_12 said:

" @Geno said:
 Yeah the darkspawn change is a little confusing to me as well. Over the course of development they all became albino?  "

Fear Me
"

"
Just a wee bit NSFW btw..  

#41 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @kingzetta said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" @kingzetta said:
" @Abyssfull said:
It takes 5 seconds and you can type in giberish for your e-mail address. The USA store is also getting the Yakuza 4 today too. When I made a Japanese account I typed in cake@cake.com as my e-mail address and laughed.  Also the Yakuza 4 demo actually blows compare to the Yakuza 3 one. The demo is you play in one fight for each of the 4 dudes and that's it. No story bits or mini games. "
Really? (referring to the Yakuza 4 demo) Well that's a shame. But as for downloading the demo's now: it's almost midnight over here and I'm past the point where I can be bothered to play any game right now, so I'll just wait it out. "
Well that makes sense then.
#42 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @MarkWahlberg said:

" @Keen_12 said:

" @Geno said:

Fear Me
"

"
Just a wee bit NSFW btw..  

"
lolololol to all of the above. 
#43 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -
@Abyssfull: Fuck you. THAT'S NOT EVEN A POWER RANGER. 
#44 Posted by Yummylee (22041 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg said:
" @Abyssfull: Fuck you. THAT'S NOT EVEN A POWER RANGER.  "
She could be if you pay her the right price.... <_>'
#45 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

The second ogre attack certainly didnt seem like mashing to me. I died two times before deciding I probably have to start using some actual tictacs.

#46 Posted by Jimbo (9866 posts) -
  • It looks alright.
  • The combat seems fine - need to see with difficulty ramped up.
  • Not keen on the limited dialogue options or the male voice - will try a fem playthrough.

I noticed a few pathfinding issues here and there and the camera being locked to the characters was predictably annoying.  The camera thing would be mostly negated if you could access their skills without jumping the camera to them (maybe you can?).
#47 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -
@LlamaLlama said:
" Only bad thing have with the demo was the healing cooldowns. And am I the only one who finds it stranger that people complain that DA2 is hack and slash now and then mention how much better they're going to like TW2 despite the fact that TW2 combat is basically strategic hack and slash? "
yeah but DA2 has 4 people, TW2 only has the one plus a helper that I don't think you can control
#48 Posted by emem (1968 posts) -

Well, before playing the demo I told myself that I'd decide on pre-ordering the game if I like the demo.. I didn't pre-order it. 

I played through DA:O on the PC and really came to love it, but in the demo some things feel so off.. All the menus are horrible, the weird loading times between all the cutscenes (maybe because of my PC) and the fact that the ui looks far too modern for such a game. Having said that.. I will still give the full game a chance and maybe all the new stuff will grow on me, but my first impression through the demo is not good at all, I'm afraid.  

I guess I was hoping or even expecting to be "wowed" and that's rarely a good thing. :/

#49 Posted by Cactberry (21 posts) -

I hate the camera, it totally ruins the game for me. I need to move it around, not just turn it. And, of course, I'd like it to get far more up.

#50 Posted by Jimbo (9866 posts) -
@LlamaLlama said:
" Only bad thing have with the demo was the healing cooldowns. And am I the only one who finds it stranger that people complain that DA2 is hack and slash now and then mention how much better they're going to like TW2 despite the fact that TW2 combat is basically strategic hack and slash? "
When people say that, they aren't generally talking about the combat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.