Dragon Age II Hitting March 8, First Trailer Revealed

• 125 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

You'll be able to experience Dragon Age II's new character, new combat, new art direction, and new dialogue system on March 8, 2011, when all three versions of the title hit retail shelves, EA and BioWare jointly revealed this morning at Gamescom.

You could call EA's presentation at Gamescom "a big deal" for developer BioWare. It got the chance to unveil its PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 and its first trailer for Dragon Age II, the follow-up to 2009's Dragon Age: Origins. But in addition to wowing the crowd with the following stunning pre-rendered trailer dubbed "Destiny," it also announced the game's release date. You already knew that part, though.

There's a lot to like about Dragon Age II at first glance. The oilier art style is pleasing to the eye, and as I suspected, goes well with crimson. But on a gameplay-oriented note, it also appears as if DAII will indeed be a much more focused, refined experience similar to that of Mass Effect. The story will focus on lead protagonist Hawke, who you'll control like Commander Shepard in both dialogue and perhaps even combat (if I'm understanding what BioWare is alluding to in regards to DAII's newer combat system). We'll have more on Dragon Age II soon, so stay tuned.

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

You'll be able to experience Dragon Age II's new character, new combat, new art direction, and new dialogue system on March 8, 2011, when all three versions of the title hit retail shelves, EA and BioWare jointly revealed this morning at Gamescom.

You could call EA's presentation at Gamescom "a big deal" for developer BioWare. It got the chance to unveil its PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 and its first trailer for Dragon Age II, the follow-up to 2009's Dragon Age: Origins. But in addition to wowing the crowd with the following stunning pre-rendered trailer dubbed "Destiny," it also announced the game's release date. You already knew that part, though.

There's a lot to like about Dragon Age II at first glance. The oilier art style is pleasing to the eye, and as I suspected, goes well with crimson. But on a gameplay-oriented note, it also appears as if DAII will indeed be a much more focused, refined experience similar to that of Mass Effect. The story will focus on lead protagonist Hawke, who you'll control like Commander Shepard in both dialogue and perhaps even combat (if I'm understanding what BioWare is alluding to in regards to DAII's newer combat system). We'll have more on Dragon Age II soon, so stay tuned.

#2 Posted by melting_window (66 posts) -

cool

#3 Edited by Doubt (329 posts) -

I loved the first one so much cannot wait for the second. 

#4 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

Why do they refuse to show actual gameplay.

#5 Posted by Theresonlyone (190 posts) -

I'm still surprised they changed it. Maybe they realised not having voice work in a non zelda game looks sloppy and half arsed. I'm interested in how my dwarfen tank's data will get pulled it (wether i'll see him or just hear of his deeds) I'm very very excited for this game.

#6 Posted by Nytrik (152 posts) -

That was really awesome. Wow. 

#7 Posted by dsd21 (140 posts) -

Sigh...

#8 Posted by Flacracker (1600 posts) -

It better have the same combat system.

#9 Posted by TomWhitbrook (434 posts) -

Looks interesting, but a pre rendered trailer should. Still, excited for voicework instead of piloting a slack jawed mute around the place.

#10 Posted by Dr_VonBoogie (348 posts) -
@Landon: Probably because they aren't ready to show it yet. Don't worry, in the coming months we'll see some live gameplay.
#11 Posted by Doubt (329 posts) -

I just hope theres as much quick looks about this game as the first.

#12 Posted by mrbasehart (92 posts) -

At the very least, it shows they have more graphical ambition for the game. 

#13 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -

March?? I'll have to force myself to lose interest until then or else I'll start pacing.

#14 Posted by Emperor_Jimmu (249 posts) -

Hopefully they will tone down the dumb action bullshit they put in the trailers.

#15 Edited by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

Breaks my heart that they are turning this game into medieval mass effect and dumbing down the combat for the console kids. The first game was easily one of my favorite games of the last decade. Oh Bioware, remember when your name meant something.

#16 Posted by Czarpyotr (278 posts) -

Bad Ass.

#17 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

That trailer was fricken awesome

#18 Posted by ZeroFanatic (12 posts) -

I love Mass Effect and Dragon Age but they should really try to make them keep them like they are and improving them instead of making one game play a lot more like the other

#19 Posted by Koobz (364 posts) -

I am really hoping they are action-ing up the combat a bit.  I realize the style of combat in DA 1 is a quickly dying breed for single player RPGs, but as far as my tastes go, I won't miss it if they replace it in DA 2.  I want stories that I play, not stories that I hotbar command.

#20 Posted by TheBalticOne (64 posts) -

That trailer made me feel fuzzy inside. mmmmmm 
Some gameplay would be nice though...

#21 Posted by bucky (116 posts) -

Sick looking trailer, but I'm hankering to see some real ass gameplay. 

#22 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -

I guess I should finish the first one then

#23 Posted by AndrewB (7500 posts) -

"Focused... refined..." what the fuck? Tell me what was unfocused and unrefined about the first game.

#24 Posted by JoeH (197 posts) -

OMG Captain Janeway!

#25 Posted by natetodamax (19176 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" Breaks my heart that they are turning this game into medieval mass effect and dumbing down the combat for the console kids. The first game was easily one of my favorite games of the last decade. Oh Bioware, remember when your name meant something. "
I hate this too. I had absolutely no problem playing the console version. I even had a blast playing as a mage on the console. Making it more action-oriented is just silly.
#26 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -
@ZeroFanatic said:
" I love Mass Effect and Dragon Age but they should really try to make them keep them like they are and improving them instead of making one game play a lot more like the other "
Yeah, that's sort of how I feel.  I like Mass Effect because I'm influencing the choices of the character Shepard, and DA for the roleplaying.
#27 Posted by Zarackus (34 posts) -

Those flash backs he had gave me the feeling that it will turn out he's Morrigan's son.

#28 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -
@Koobz said:
" I am really hoping they are action-ing up the combat a bit.  I realize the style of combat in DA 1 is a quickly dying breed for single player RPGs, but as far as my tastes go, I won't miss it if they replace it in DA 2.  I want stories that I play, not stories that I hotbar command. "
i'm with you on that.
#29 Posted by Bummey (604 posts) -

That cutscene was way too anime.

#30 Posted by HJR (23 posts) -
@Zarackus said:
" Those flash backs he had gave me the feeling that it will turn out he's Morrigan's son. "
they already said its not
#31 Edited by FlipperDesert (2082 posts) -
@AndrewB said:

" "Focused... refined..." what the fuck? Tell me what was unfocused and unrefined about the first game. "

Anyone with an IQ under 40 couldn't play it because they weren't just pulling the trigger a bunch.

But hey, who am I to ask for a game where I actually make and shape a character instead of watch some apparently part-demon badass spout bad lines of dialogue? This is the new shit, after all.
#32 Posted by CletusTheFoetus (148 posts) -

I think the graphics, compared to Unreal, let the game down but only slightly. It made up for it with it's lore. 

One thing i wouldn't mind them bringing in is the paragon/reneged interrupts. 

also, quit making text really small. our TV's are getting bigger and better but my eyesight isn't.(not really Bioware's fault but reading the codex pages hurt after a while)

#33 Posted by Demoskinos (14578 posts) -

My only concern is that I'm hoping this doesn't turn into  a generic mash on one button  stupid  gameplay.     I loved the tactical element of Dragon Age:Orgins and Awakening.   Setting up AI routines for your companions....  finding phat lootz for your characters.    It  is a really fun game.     

I just hope there is still the tactical elements to the game.  I wanna    backstab as a rogue,  debuff enemies as a mage and laugh as they  get pwned by my Warriors.    Please don't screw this up Bioware... I'm trusting you.  

#34 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -

Holy shit that was awesome!  
For those who didnt notice that was the son of Morrigan.

#35 Posted by Toxin066 (3256 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" Breaks my heart that they are turning this game into medieval mass effect and dumbing down the combat for the console kids. The first game was easily one of my favorite games of the last decade. Oh Bioware, remember when your name meant something. "
I completely agree. Except for the "console" part. I played DA:O on console and thought it worked very well.

@FlipperDesert said:
" @AndrewB said:

" "Focused... refined..." what the fuck? Tell me what was unfocused and unrefined about the first game. "

Anyone with an IQ under 40 couldn't play it because they weren't just pulling the trigger a bunch.

But hey, who am I to ask for a game where I actually make and shape a character instead of watch some apparently part-demon badass spout bad lines of dialogue? This is the new shit, after all. "

BOOM goes the dynamite. I don't like this trend that seems to be occurring in games like this these days.
#36 Edited by BoOzak (882 posts) -

Not too thrilled about the shift to action-rpg but i'm sure bioware have enough sense to make it different enough from mass effect for fans of the original to care.

..On another note i'm pretty sure that was "Flemeth" morrigans mother, who's narrating the trailer. She also played Janeway in ST: Voyager ;p (having killed her in the original i'm not sure if that's relevant or not but w/e)

#37 Posted by shakra (252 posts) -

Oh my god that was amazing. I'm still sad I won't get to find out what happened to Morigan and my love child :(

#38 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

Good to see that Arcane Warriors are still broken.

Bad ass trailer. Didn't show how the actual game will be like though. Still not sure how I feel about having a set protagonist, but I'll deal with that later.

#39 Posted by Brokthar (3 posts) -
@Toxin066 said:
BOOM goes the dynamite. I don't like this trend that seems to be occurring in games like this these days. "
I totally agree.  There wasn't much that needed fixing with the combat elements, even on the console versions.  I just hope that by 'focusing' and 'refining' they mean for more active combat gameplay rather than simplified controls although it would remove itself from the 'spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate' marketing spiel of the first game.  I'm still (cautiously) looking forward to it, but it so far feels more like a franchise spin-off than a true sequel.
#40 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -

I totally agree with all the complaints about the game becoming just a medieval Mass Effect. 
I mean, what could be worse than modelling a game after one that got over 70 perfect scores, right? ...Right?

#41 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

This is pretty much guaranteed to be a great game.  Great trailer.  I look forward to some gameplay footage to see how they've messed with it.

#42 Posted by Etaber (160 posts) -

No Morrigan? Leliana? not even Alistair? No sale!

#43 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -

That was sexy as fuck.

#44 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (522 posts) -
@Bummey said:
" That cutscene was way too anime. "
Sure I'll take some more DAO, but I have to agree the battle cutscene was very JRPG anime esk.
#45 Posted by Junkerman (253 posts) -
@Theresonlyone said:
" I'm still surprised they changed it. Maybe they realised not having voice work in a non zelda game looks sloppy and half arsed."
Almost all good RPG's feature none-voiced protagonists.  Mass Effect and the Witcher are the only 2 I can think of with a speaking player character.
#46 Posted by FakePlasticTree (449 posts) -

I didn't know Keanu Reeves was in Dragon Age II. Cool I guess.  

Looking forward to this. I've started Dragon Age: Origins sooooo many times and I just can't get into it, but I'm very intrigued by the Mass Effect-esque streamlining of the sequel. 

#47 Posted by cowdrunk (244 posts) -

just when i thought i might skip this one they put this out *sigh*
#48 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Flemeth's the Narrator... Morrigan's gotta be in it too. Is my hellspawn is around aswell?

That alone gives me the chills. Very excited about Dragon Age 2!

Never question the effect a blur render trailer has on me. EA keep 'em coming!

#49 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

All this time I have been wondering what the hell this sequel had to do with the original game. Now I think I might know. 

Considering how this Hawke character seems to have this incredible power within him which he cannot quite control, and the fact that Flemeth is playing a prominent role again (even personally coming in to save Hawke in the beginning of the game), I think that Hawke might just be the child of Morrigan. Wild speculation at this point I know, but I just have a hunch.  

P.S.: The redesigned Darkspawn look fucking ugly. I mean seriously, what were they thinking?

#50 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Is that a new Qunari design? I like it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.