Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Dragon Age II Save Import To Be Like 'Importing The World'

• 86 results
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ryanwho

I deleted my save, so I guess I won't get a random comment from an NPC about the golem army or the specific political figure that ruled hundreds of years ago. I'll try and get over that.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

What is with the "Import Save File" thing that goes on these days!!! Just trying to make me feel worse that my hard-drive, with all my old saves, died....that's why I haven't played through Mass Effect 2 yet.
    Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Wandrecanada

I'm really hoping that Hawke is the product of Morrigan and Flemeth's plans as was revealed by the final DLC story.  This would be most awesome since I desire more Claudia Black and Kate Mulgrew. 

Edit: Especially since Mulgrew is the narrator of the DA2 trailer.

fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By fearthephins

I'm so excited for this game!! Ahh I can't wait! <3

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55  Edited By wrighteous86

Since none of the DLC correctly transferred the choices of my (unavailable) Warden, I doubt the sequel will pull my choices correctly.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By MisterMouse

that is kind of cool.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By phrosnite

I can't f-ing wait! Dragon Age is the most successful game for Bioware and I really hope they will make the same jump in quality as Baldur's Gate - Baldur's Gate 2 and Mass Effect - Mass Effect 2.

P.S. - Dragon Age > Mass Effect 2.

Andyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Andyre

Goddammit. I wanted to play this on PC but my save is for the 360 version. Maybe I'll just play it again on PC. Wouldn't that just be terrible...

Jakobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By Jakobi

I just really hope the combat in the new game is more fun. I hated the stamina management system and the feat trees were terrible. Other than that I loved the game.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#61  Edited By eccentrix

I don't see any difference between this and Mass Effect.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Cybexx: There is a save editor out there already for ME2 files that lets you adjust all the triggers on the character import. There are only around 30-40 triggers. And some of them don't even have any impact.
    People were right to be upset considering the biggest event that should have had a huge impact on ME2 was boiled down to a couple of different lines of dialogue with Anderson without changing anything really, so much for the big decision of saving/killing the Council and deciding who represents humanity. (plus some little one line mentions from a few other characters)
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By Jimbo

If that's how they see Dragon Age, why didn't Awakening work like that?  If your Warden died in Origins, you had to either just pretend they didn't die, or abandon your World State from Origins and use the expansion default.  That was a lame decision by Bioware's standards.

I'm pretty sure DA2 doesn't focus on Ferelden btw.  That's how they'll avoid making an unreasonable amount of Origins related content.  Same reason ME2 went as far away from ME as possible.

I thought ME2 actually delivered on the carry over stuff quite well.  I guess it comes down to your expectations going into it - mine were very low and they surpassed them.  They were smart to make it more about tone than actual content (which would be a huge undertaking).  It only takes a few changes to alter the tone of a story.  I acted like a Space Nazi in ME1, and the little radio clips around the spacestations managed to convey that quite well.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By JammyJesus

I still say that DAO2 is a massive step backwards for PC gamers.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By phrosnite
    @JammyJesus said:
    "

I still say that DAO2 is a massive step backwards for PC gamers.

"
    DAO2? What is that? There are no origin stories in DA2...
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@sixghost: I don't know what you expected other than dialogue changes.  Considering half the game is dialogue, it is pretty important.  And considering how many of them are, it would be real difficult for our ME2 or ME3 games to be the exact same (especially considering how many people I smoked in ME2).  That establishes a verisimilitude.

And really, what did you expect, and what would you even want?  A combat mission that can only be accessed by killing Wrex?  Whole characters that you have no access to unless you made a specific decision in a game that came out three years ago?  That's not good economic or creative thinking.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By raiz265

damn i have to play through that again...

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Oh man, I really need to crack open my original copy....

duane_woods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By duane_woods

I'm glad to hear that, now I have to fight that last battle to finally finish that game :-)

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Tesla

I am nowhere near beating the first Dragon Age, but I still can't wait for DA2.  I have some catching up to do.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By sixghost
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @sixghost: I don't know what you expected other than dialogue changes.  Considering half the game is dialogue, it is pretty important.  And considering how many of them are, it would be real difficult for our ME2 or ME3 games to be the exact same (especially considering how many people I smoked in ME2).  That establishes a verisimilitude.  And really, what did you expect, and what would you even want?  A combat mission that can only be accessed by killing Wrex?  Whole characters that you have no access to unless you made a specific decision in a game that came out three years ago?  That's not good economic or creative thinking. "
    If that's the case, than maybe it's not a good idea to talk this up as a huge feature. It all sounds cool in theory, then when you think about what's actually changing it all just seems extremely hollow.
    FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By FunkyHugo

Very cool that they're doing something with the first game's save file. I put 20 hours into it, but did not pass it.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#73  Edited By Aaron_G

That is still cool. I don't mind not keeping my stuff. It will be cool to have a new character but still have the effects from the old one in place. 

xcrowtrobotx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By xcrowtrobotx

Great, now I'll have to play through DA:O again the month before release.

frsty13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By frsty13
    @RsistncE: You mean your character didn't move mountains?  Dude, you missed out.
    Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#76  Edited By Cybexx
    @Tennmuerti said:

" @Cybexx: There is a save editor out there already for ME2 files that lets you adjust all the triggers on the character import. There are only around 30-40 triggers. And some of them don't even have any impact.People were right to be upset considering the biggest event that should have had a huge impact on ME2 was boiled down to a couple of different lines of dialogue with Anderson without changing anything really, so much for the big decision of saving/killing the Council and deciding who represents humanity. (plus some little one line mentions from a few other characters) "

"Troisi described Mass Effect's built-in ability to read your game save files as the series' "uber-feature," and said there are roughly 700 "plot hooks" in Mass Effect 1 that carry over one way or another into Mass Effect 2 "  http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1077468p1.html#ixzz11h1TAJNa 

So either the editor fails to expose everything or many of those choices boil down to 30-40 triggers. Either way its still more than the 6 or so choices I thought would carry over, since when you import your game it gives you a breakdown of your major choices and I thought those were the only ones that mattered. And like I said, the types of differences you get are about at the level of a choice you would make in ME2 itself or any other Bioware game, it usually comes down to a difference in dialog or a difference in the character you are speaking to. I think the problems with this feature can be chalked up to overactive imaginations and expectations that go beyond anything that any other game has delivered, but that happens to the best of us.
    StephenLacey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By StephenLacey
    @eccentrix: Swords and magic =/= guns and magic.
    luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By luthorcrow
    @Andyre: Nah because you can play a new origin on your second play through or make some different decisions.  The game has a lot of replayablity. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@sixghost said:
    "If that's the case, than maybe it's not a good idea to talk this up as a huge feature. It all sounds cool in theory, then when you think about what's actually changing it all just seems extremely hollow. "
    It is huge.  What the game is attempting to do is establish that you are a part of its reality.  See: verisimilitude.  It's to establish that your presence has impact within the fiction.  What you're seeking is to have some sort of impact outside of the fiction, which is far-reaching and a fine design idea, but not germaine to the discussion.  To lambaste the BioWare's elasticity within their fiction, especially considering their contemporaries, seems grossly illogical.  It's unreasonable to expect any writer to write completely diverse stories that all manage to be fulfilling in a single game.  Most don't achieve the latter to begin with, let alone offering choice.  What can be offered is a single story that can be seen at different angles at a player's presence.  It's a third dimension, which shouldn't be discounted on the grounds that it isn't a fourth dimension.
    Natesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Natesaint

I liked the import system from ME1 to ME2, it impacted it more than I thought it would. And the fact that everything you did in the first was almost nothing in the second actually made me like it more. Everything you did got crapped on, even if it was good, I liked that. Yeah, just like real life! Haha. As for Dragon Age 2, this sounds interesting, bringing in the whole world concept. Sounds ambitious, I know if a company can pull it off, Bioware can.
    eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#81  Edited By eccentrix
    @StephenLacey said:
    " @eccentrix: Swords and magic =/= guns and magic. "
    I meant the old save bonus.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By sixghost
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @sixghost said:
    "If that's the case, than maybe it's not a good idea to talk this up as a huge feature. It all sounds cool in theory, then when you think about what's actually changing it all just seems extremely hollow. "
    It is huge.  What the game is attempting to do is establish that you are a part of its reality.  See: verisimilitude.  It's to establish that your presence has impact within the fiction.  What you're seeking is to have some sort of impact outside of the fiction, which is far-reaching and a fine design idea, but not germaine to the discussion.  To lambaste the BioWare's elasticity within their fiction, especially considering their contemporaries, seems grossly illogical.  It's unreasonable to expect any writer to write completely diverse stories that all manage to be fulfilling in a single game.  Most don't achieve the latter to begin with, let alone offering choice.  What can be offered is a single story that can be seen at different angles at a player's presence.  It's a third dimension, which shouldn't be discounted on the grounds that it isn't a fourth dimension. "
    You really aren't establishing yourself as a part of the fiction though. In fact, if you ask me it makes the big decisions in ME2 seem that less important, since I know those decisions won't really amount to anything game changing, since, as you said, it would take too much time and money to flesh out the different plot lines of those decisions. When I replayed ME1 to set the universe for ME2, I thought long and hard about whether I wanted to let to council die or not because I thought it would have a huge impact on the universe. Then after the fact I felt like a fucking idiot because it literally changed one thing. Consequently, I never really cared about any of the ramifications of the big decisions in ME2 because they most likely will just function the same way the ME1->2 save import did.

Also, I don't follow the logic of your point about it being great just because they are doing it better than their competitors. EndWar probably is the best voice-controlled RTS game out there, but that doesn't make it any fucking good.
    Scrubiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Scrubiii
    @sixghost said:
    " I'm calling bullshit on this after the huge letdown that was importing your save into ME2. It'll change 6-7 meaningless things and be largely the same exact game regardless of what you did in DA:O. "
    Admittedly the choices that carried over from ME1 were not that significant in the second game, but I can see how they could be setting up some pretty important changes in the next game. Things like whether Wrex is alive or not  just meant that you didn't hear any of his plans for "uniting the krogan" in the ME2 but by ME3 he might have achieved this goal and the role of the krogan in that game would be entirely different. And even though your choices had no effect on the actual game, it helped the story flow much more smoothly than it would have without your choices from the first game being there. 
    Kaineda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Kaineda77

I wonder how players get treated that dont have any saves..

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SpacePenguin

WAIT! So does that mean I cant create my own character and HAVE to go a human and HAVE to go a mage?!?!

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#86  Edited By unchained
    @SpacePenguin said:
    " WAIT! So does that mean I cant create my own character and HAVE to go a human and HAVE to go a mage?!?! "
    You can customize your appearance and choose your gender. Like Mass Effect though, you're going to be playing the protagonist Hawke no matter what. No choice about race. You do get to choose which class you want to play though (Rogue, Mage, or Warrior). I think they mentioned that Specializations will be returning, but I can't verify that. I think I heard it on one of their podcasts.    
    SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By SpacePenguin
    @Unchained: I have to say I am pretty disapionted that you have to play as that character since the thing I loved most about Origins was that there was so many options when making a character and all the different stating for the races and that they would effect the entire game right up to the end.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for Dragon Age II. Let's hope they don't water it down too much so we start calling it Dragon Effect 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.