Dragon Age II Will Feature Its Own Cerberus Network

• 67 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 2 have a couple of features in common already, but the latest revealed feature might entice you to purchase the follow-up to Dragon Age: Origins in its new retail form. That's because Dragon Age II will feature a content delivery portal not unlike Mass Effect 2's Cerberus Network, meaning you'll need to get a code for this portal if you want certain DLC. And If history repeats as we expect it to, codes will be included with new copies of the game, while "used" owners will be pulled into a money-flinging party that'll go well over the five bucks that they saved.

"We will be doing that," game executive producer Mark Darrah replied when asked by Joystiq if Dragon Age II will feature a service like Cereberus Network. "We haven't announced what's in it, but it'll definitely be something kind of in that Cerberus vein where there will be additional content." 

== TEASER ==There's some slight room for interpretation of Darrah's words, but it seems unlikely that developer BioWare wouldn't implement another version of the system EA has so often touted. Plus, it's a very effective way for EA and BioWare to pull some cash from users who purchased the game on used shelves. In Mass Effect 2, for example, Cerberus Network cost owners without a free code $15. Then, said user had to purchase whatever DLC he or she wanted--provided it wasn't already free. That adds up.

And speaking of DLC, Darrah said that the content delivered through this system wouldn't be so much like Return to Ostagar. Bigger teams will create bigger DLC levels with more unique creatures, he told Joystiq.

Making this a little bit more confusing is the fact that pre-order copies of the game will also ship with a bonus character, missions, weapons, and items. We'll have to wait for some clarification from EA prior to the game's release next March on exactly how all this stuff will be laid out.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 2 have a couple of features in common already, but the latest revealed feature might entice you to purchase the follow-up to Dragon Age: Origins in its new retail form. That's because Dragon Age II will feature a content delivery portal not unlike Mass Effect 2's Cerberus Network, meaning you'll need to get a code for this portal if you want certain DLC. And If history repeats as we expect it to, codes will be included with new copies of the game, while "used" owners will be pulled into a money-flinging party that'll go well over the five bucks that they saved.

"We will be doing that," game executive producer Mark Darrah replied when asked by Joystiq if Dragon Age II will feature a service like Cereberus Network. "We haven't announced what's in it, but it'll definitely be something kind of in that Cerberus vein where there will be additional content." 

== TEASER ==There's some slight room for interpretation of Darrah's words, but it seems unlikely that developer BioWare wouldn't implement another version of the system EA has so often touted. Plus, it's a very effective way for EA and BioWare to pull some cash from users who purchased the game on used shelves. In Mass Effect 2, for example, Cerberus Network cost owners without a free code $15. Then, said user had to purchase whatever DLC he or she wanted--provided it wasn't already free. That adds up.

And speaking of DLC, Darrah said that the content delivered through this system wouldn't be so much like Return to Ostagar. Bigger teams will create bigger DLC levels with more unique creatures, he told Joystiq.

Making this a little bit more confusing is the fact that pre-order copies of the game will also ship with a bonus character, missions, weapons, and items. We'll have to wait for some clarification from EA prior to the game's release next March on exactly how all this stuff will be laid out.
#2 Edited by Jayzz (592 posts) -

sweet

quest complete! :D

#3 Posted by Milkman (16792 posts) -

The DLC for Dragon Age was pretty disappointing. Hopefully, it's a lot better this time around.

#4 Posted by TimesHero (685 posts) -
@Jayzz: FFFFFUUUUU
#5 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -

Bigger DLC teams is a better thing if it means more like Lair of the shadow broker than Ostagar.

#6 Posted by pubbles (142 posts) -
@Milkman: I didn't mind Return to Ostagar too much. I'm excited for DA2 though oooho boy. 
#7 Posted by Bigandtasty (3203 posts) -

Age of Dragons Download Center

#8 Posted by cassus (376 posts) -
@Milkman: I kinda liked some of it. Could have been better, but yeah, not too shabby. The one with the golem was at least pretty funny.
#9 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Surprise!

#10 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

The Warden's Wardrobe 

Hawke's Hoard. 

Dragon's Dominion/Domain. 

EA Dragon's Cave! (Most probable title)

#11 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

Morrigan's huchi
done

#12 Posted by SparkEngineer (69 posts) -

Just one more step towards completely ruining this franchise, just like they did with mass effect.

#13 Posted by Drakhir (410 posts) -

Cerberus Network wasn't anything special, really. We got, what, 3 DLC "packs" or so?

#14 Posted by berghi (21 posts) -

Kinda looking forward to Dragon Age II. I kinda got bored a few (12?) hours into DA, but am now replaying and rather enjoying it.

#15 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

The Conclave.

#16 Edited by 2HeadedNinja (1617 posts) -

well ... the Cerberus Network was a good idea in theory, but when they started to charge for friggin clothing and weapons it failed ... I can understand to a certain degree that stuff like "Lair of the Shadow Broker" needs to make some money. But give people who do have the Cerberus code a discount ... or at least dont charge for stuff like a gun.

[edit:]  oh, and: The Money Bin?

#17 Posted by Double0hFor (410 posts) -

THEY BETTER NOT STOP DLC FOR ME2 BECAUSE OF THIS GAME!!!

#18 Posted by endaround (2145 posts) -

So you mean it will be the exact same thing as DA:O

#19 Posted by JeanLuc (3584 posts) -
@Double0hFor said:
" THEY BETTER NOT STOP DLC FOR ME2 BECAUSE OF THIS GAME!!! "
They're made by two different teams. Calm down!
#20 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11739 posts) -

I'm not complaining. But hopefully Bioware will actually make DLC worth buying for DA 2. Most of the stuff for the first game... less than great. Darkspawn Chronicles especially.

#21 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

DLC they could just sell as separate packs, and I never bought any of the guns/armor from the Cerberus Network. Doesn't seem like the coolest idea, although stores in games are becoming more and more prevalent. I feel kind of gypped every game I buy now, like I'm not getting the full experience. There's always something I didn't get because I didn't pre-order or something that's payed-for DLC. Games are starting to cost way, way beyond 60 bucks if you want the full experience.

@SRanker: Dude what game and subsequent DLC called Lair of the Shadow Broker were you playing.

#22 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -
@Double0hFor said:
I thought Shadowbroker was the last DLC for ME2?
#23 Edited by Tapkoh (22 posts) -
@jozzy said:

" @Double0hFor said:

I thought Shadowbroker was the last DLC for ME2? "
Shadowbroker came out the same day as WItch Hunt, which was the last for Dragon Age Origins. However, no one at BioWare said Shadowbroker was the last ME2 DLC.
#24 Posted by adoggz (2067 posts) -

wait a minute, hold the phone. You mean to tel me that bioware is participating in EA's project $10? NO WAY!!!

#25 Posted by Yzzerdd (521 posts) -

I think I would be more hyped for massive games that announce they won't have DLC.

#26 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -
@Tapkoh said:
" @jozzy said:

" @Double0hFor said:

I thought Shadowbroker was the last DLC for ME2? "
Shadowbroker came out the same day as WItch Hunt, which was the last for Dragon Age Origins. However, no one at BioWare said Shadowbroker was the last ME2 DLC. "
Cool! 
Somehow I was certain this was last, but I am glad to be wrong in this case.
#27 Posted by KainCarver (116 posts) -

Let's hope the thing loads faster than the Cerberus network.

#28 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

They had the right idea for the first. 3 or so DLCs. The ones that were actually integrated into the main game.

#29 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Wardens Keep -simple and takes from the fiction (grey wardens and all)

#30 Posted by blaakmawf (543 posts) -

I'm cool with it.

#31 Posted by delicious_lie (160 posts) -

obviously, right?
i mean, this is clearly just the smart way to go about first-day DLC at this point. It gives people that give EA money more value without restricting actual in-game content or whatever.
I just hope it is still called cerberus network, except this time it involves the three-headed helldog.

#32 Posted by ___pocalypse (561 posts) -

I'm fine with that since I'm going to buy the game new anyway, but I don't think they really should hype Cerberus Network as anything all that cool. The vast majority of all DLC for ME2 is stuff you have to buy, and it doesn't look like anything free is coming out anytime soon. It really isn't much to write home about.  
I don't mind paying for big side quests like LotSB and the like, but weapon and alternate outfit packs should be free, IMO. It's just not that good of a deal. 

I also wasn't all that into the DA:O DLC, and didn't even buy some of it. Darkspawn Chronicles I didn't bother to finish. I'm pretty optimistic they're going to make good decisions for Dragon Age II, though.

#33 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Adventurer's Guild as a nod to the old Bard's Tale games.

#34 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

If there's one thing I will definitely approve of Dragon Age learning from Mass Effect it's how to do some quality DLC.

#35 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

Great, can't wait to get new weapons and armor, than mediocre DLC missions.

#36 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

Cerberus Network was kind of a fail to me. It was a cool idea and it was neat to have free as well as paid stuff, then it was like "alright, enough with this free stuff, time for you to give us money" then everything afterwards was free.

#37 Posted by Stepside (511 posts) -

Ehhh...I played the first one for a few hours.  Then I discovered I don't have 4 hours a day to play a game. 

#38 Posted by Jayzilla (2562 posts) -

I loved DA1 but I had my fill of it after 1 DLC. If this game doesn't make significant changes I wont e getting it.

#39 Posted by Wuddel (2092 posts) -

I could not even get the DLC to work on DAO! On the steam version! Some technical crap. Fool me twice ....

#40 Posted by Jiggah (308 posts) -

The idea behind the Cerberus Network was great.  The implementation sucked balls.  They released a lot of fluff for the Network and then made the actual good stuff paid for.  I don't mind having to pay for worthwhile stuff, but they should have also included some of that stuff free of charge through the Cerberus Network.  On the technical side, the fact that on the PC, you had to log onto the website rather through the game to access material made it completely useless and only acted as more of an ingame advertisement and DRM rather than an exclusive club.

#41 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

I knew Cerberus would branch out, I just never thought they would branched out to hollowed antiquity. 

#42 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@wasteguru said:
" @Double0hFor said:
They're made by two different teams. Calm down! "
And the ME2 team still hasn't come up with a worthwhile DLC. Mostly useless weapons and armor pack, ok I'll give The Shadow Broker was good but was waaaay to short. I would love ME2 to have an Awakening type expansion pack. 
#43 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Bobby Kotick approved

#44 Posted by Draugen (649 posts) -

Warden's Postal Service!

#45 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

Meh.  If they wanted to do something worthwhile they should have made the preorder DLC, which is an entire character to use, the Cerebrus Network DLC.  It blows that you have to pre-order in order to get something like an entire character.  It's like saying if you goto a store and buy a game brand new, you're doing it wrong, which is an odd approach to take imo. 

Also, I think a character would get people to buy new more than delivering a handful of worthless weapons and maybe some super lame ass side missions that aren't even in a similar genre to the actual game.

#46 Posted by Sporkbane (185 posts) -

Dragon Age 2: The Store: Origins

#47 Posted by Blackout62 (1341 posts) -

Project 10 Dollar baby! Filled with surprisingly effective incentive.

#48 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

How long until these games just come with CD keys?  Lets just cut to the chase already.

#49 Posted by apita23 (28 posts) -

:D

#50 Posted by Cactberry (21 posts) -

I think I'll call it Steal Age.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.