Favorite lines/party banter

#1 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

I could really put dozens of lines in but I'll limit myself to a few of my favorites. 

• Varric: Rivaini, stop looking at my chest. My eyes are up here.
  • Isabela: But the chest hair...
  • Varric: Do you know how much I suffer under your gaze? I am a person, not an object!
  • Isabela: Uh, Varric?
  • Varric: (Laughs) Just shitting you.

• Hawke: "You haven't exactly thought this out, have you?"
  • Isabela: "I haven't exactly worked out all of the kinks. Step one, we find Castillon... step two, I don't know. Something exciting happens. Step three, profit. Any questions?"  

Isabela: "Apostate Prostitutes? ... Apostitutes! (Laughs)

Honestly I could quote Isabela and Varric lines for days.
#2 Edited by melcene (3056 posts) -
Fenris: I thought all dwarves had beards. Where's yours?
Varric: I misplaced it, along with my sense of dwarven pride and my gold-plated noble caste pin.
Fenris: I thought maybe it fell onto your chest.
Varric: Oh-ho! The broody elf tells a joke!
Fenris: I don't brood.
Varric: Friend, if your brooding were any more impressive, women would swoon as you passed. They'd have broody babies in your honor.
Fenris: You're a very odd dwarf.
Varric: And you thought I was joking about the pin.  

Varric : So where's your beard, Elf?
Fenris : Elves don't grow beards.
Varric : Huh. I thought maybe you'd shaved it off in a fit of broody pique.
Fenris : So you're a funny dwarf.

Varric: Is brooding a sport in Tevinter? Do they hold competitions? Hand out trophies for the best scowls?
Fenris: I'm not "brooding."
Varric: Moping, then. You seem like you're a champion at it.
Fenris: I'm perfectly content at the moment.
Varric: Oh, so that's you smiling? Glad you clarified that. I'd never have known.         

Isabela: So what's with that magical fisting thing you do?
Fenris: I'm... sorry?
Isabela: You know, when you stick your hand into people.
Fenris: Oh. That. Yes. It's a... talent.
Isabela: You could make so much coin with that.  
#3 Posted by Guybrush (84 posts) -

Pretty much anything Merrill says, but here are two of my favourites. 

• Merrill: Ser Pounce-a-lot... who knighted him?
  • Anders: Is that a serious question?
  • Merrill: Did he have a little sword, or just his claws? I bet he had a dashing cap with a feather in it!
  • Anders: Would you stop making fun of my cat?
  • Merrill: Oh... no hat, then?  

• Merrill: If you could do anything - just anything at all - what would you do?
  • Bethany: That's easy. Be normal. No magic, just... normal.
  • Merrill: Really? You wouldn't fly across Thedas or eat a cake the size of Kirkwall? Keep a baby griffon for a pet?
  • Bethany: Well, now that you say it, the griffon might not be so bad.
  • Merrill: I'd name mine "Feathers."    

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (8150 posts) -
  • Isabela: Hang on! You've gone without for four years?
  • Aveline: Many people have their lives because of me.
  • Isabela: But poor you, no life of your own.
  • Aveline: We both place others above ourselves. I happen to do it clothed.
  • Isabela: You're splitting hairs but wishing someone would split yours.
  • Aveline: I've had just about enough of your loose lips. Like many, I'm sure.
  • Isabela: Oh, touché. Prig!
  • Aveline: Slattern!
#5 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

• Aveline: You're right.
  • Isabela: About?
  • Aveline: About knowing who you are.
  • Aveline: I'm the captain of the guard. I'm loyal, strong, and I don't look too bad naked.
  • Isabela: Exactly. And if I called you a mannish, awkward, ball-crushing do-gooder, you'd say...?
  • Aveline: (Calmly and firmly) Shut up, whore.
  • Isabela: That's my girl.

• Varric: Daisy, for my sake, please quit cutting through the alleys in Lowtown at night.
  • Merrill: Nothing ever happens. I'm perfectly safe, Varric.
  • Varric: Yes, I know. And that nothing is costing me a fortune.
#6 Posted by suntone (98 posts) -
  • Aveline: Strange, I always thought I'd wind up arresting you some day.
  • Varric: If I ever decide to get caught, Aveline, you'll be the guard I let catch me.
  • Aveline: "Let catch you?"
  • Varric: "Decide to get caught" didn't trip you up though. Good to know!    

• Merrill: Ser Pounce-a-lot... who knighted him?
  • Merrill: Did he have a little sword, or just his claws? I bet he had a dashing cap with a feather in it!
#7 Posted by zameer (606 posts) -

Random NPC: "HEY YOU FOUND THIS, THANK YOU" 

Hawke: "Make sure you don't lose it again"

#8 Posted by AlisterCat (5532 posts) -
  • Merrill: The Qunari must like it here, to stay so long.
  • Aveline: From what I've seen, the Qunari don't like anything.
  • Merrill: That can't be true. They must like some things... Sunshine? Butterflies? Rainbows?
  • Aveline: If I spot a Qunari admiring butterflies, Merrill, you'll be the first person I tell.
#9 Edited by MEATBALL (3194 posts) -
Carver: So, you're not like a lot of other girls.
Merrill: No, I'm an elf.
Carver: Right, alright then.
Merrill: Oh, did I miss something dirty?
Carver: What? No, it wasn't dirty! It wasn't anything.
Merrill: Oh? Right, because I miss a lot of dirty things...and I wouldn't mind hearing them.
#10 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -
  • Anders: So, when you first did blood magic, it was... just an accident, right?
  • Anders: You cut yourself and realized the power? You didn't actually deal with a demon?
  • Merrill: Oh, no. I did.
  • Anders: Why would you do that?
  • Merrill: I needed his help. He was really very nice about it.
  • Anders: Of course he was! He's using you to get a foothold in a mortal brain!    
#11 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

I'll need to do another playthrough with Mage Hawk, Isabella, Fenris, and Aveline just to hear all the dialogue I was missing running with Varric, Anders, and Merrill.

#12 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Isabela and Varric had a pretty good dynamic. Neither seems to give a shit about the larger issues affecting Kirkwall, and are content just talking about knives, chest hair and Aveline/Donnic friend-fiction.

#13 Edited by sarahsdad (1087 posts) -

Maybe got this a little wrong but: 
Varric: So you don't frolic then? 
Merril: Of course we frolic, we're elves. 
Varric: Just not in the woods? 
Merril: Oh no, the trees get jealous. 

Another one between Merril and Varric to the tune of: 
Merril: My friend's learning some good stories 
Varric: Oh really? 
Merril: Yes. But most of them don't start (Varric Impression) 'No shit, there I was' 
Varric: I'll have to teach him some better stories then.

#14 Posted by Atlas (2436 posts) -

Basically anything Merrill says.

#15 Posted by kittencake (99 posts) -
@Guybrush said:
Merrill: Ser Pounce-a-lot... who knighted him?
that one almost made me weep with joy. hahah.

Isabela (tempted by a desire demon): I like big boats, I cannot lie.
#16 Edited by Undeadpool (4923 posts) -

Everything in this thread so far. Honestly, I'm kind of at a loss, I think the party banter was just incredible in this game. 
But I have to say, and maybe I misheard it and I'm probably getting it wrong, but between Isabella and Aveline: 

Isabela: So, how good is Donnic? Is he cocksure?  
Aveline: (Sighs) Just... get it out of your system.  
Isabela: Did he curl your toes? Pudding your peach? Dampen your Divine? Kaddis your Kate?  Praise your Maker? Explore your Deep Roads? Gray your Warden? How about "satisfy a demand of your Qun."  
Aveline: Yes, all right? He is an incredibly proficient lover. Happy? 
Isabela: Whoa! Thats a little personal! 

Merrill: I feel like I'm forgetting something, or there's more to do or... Does all this feel like a dream to you too? 
Hawke: In a moment I'll look down and see I have no pants on. 
Merill *giggles* The Champion of Kirkwall going to battle naked. Why can't I ever have that dream?

I really, REALLY wound up liking Merrill a lot more than I thought I would. My friend pointed out that she's a lot like Tali, and I saw where he was coming from, but as the game went on she really distinguished herself.

#17 Edited by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:

" Isabela: So, how good is Donnic? Is he cocksure?  
Isabela: Did he curl your toes? Pudding your peach? Dampen your Divine? Kaddis your Kate?  Praise your Maker? Explore your Deep Roads? Gray your Warden? How about "satisfy a demand of your Qun."  
Isabela: Whoa! Thats a little personal! "

I love that one. Its great because Isabela basically breaks the 4th wall and starts referencing stuff from Origins. 
Isabela says different things apparently. I got "Arl your Eamon? Shank your Jory? Dwarf your beard? Pamper your Paragon? Establish his canon? Or master your taint? That's an old one."
#18 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@kittencake said:
" Isabela (tempted by a desire demon): I like big boats, I cannot lie. "
Yes!  I cracked up when this one happened! 

@wasteguru said:
" @Undeadpool said:

" Isabela: So, how good is Donnic? Is he cocksure?  
Isabela: Whoa! Thats a little personal! "

I love that one. Its great because Isabela basically breaks the 4th wall and starts referencing stuff from Origins. Isabela says different things apparently. I got "Arl your Eamon? Shank your Jory? Dwarf your beard? Pamper your Paragon? Establish his canon? Or master your taint? That's an old one." "
Hah!  That one IS awesome.  I always loved the DA:O equivalent to that between Oghren and Alistair.
#19 Posted by Roboyto (80 posts) -

I wish I could remember the exact conversation between Aveline and Isabela but at one point Isabela is asking Aveline how it was to have sex again after marrying Donnic and says something along the lines of how was it to be "put ass over head and pounded like a rusty nail"

I laughed for 5 minutes, could not believe id just seen that

#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4717 posts) -
@Roboyto said:
" I wish I could remember the exact conversation between Aveline and Isabela but at one point Isabela is asking Aveline how it was to have sex again after marrying Donnic and says something along the lines of how was it to be "put ass over head and pounded like a rusty nail"  I laughed for 5 minutes, could not believe id just seen that "
That particular bit (as well as other choice quotes found in this thread) just cemented Isabela forever as being my only LI in Dragon Age 2. I love that woman, especially with how often she breaks the fourth wall. I'm honestly surprised with how subtle it all is.
#21 Edited by melcene (3056 posts) -

Not exactly party banter, but....

#22 Posted by lodar011 (113 posts) -

Anything sarcastic Hawke says really. After one of the quests for the templars I went to turn it in and my sarcastic Hawke starts off the conversation with something like "I have good news and bad news. The good news is we found (whatever the character's name was, can't remember). The bad news is that half your recruits may have been possessed by evil spirits." Also, as others have mentioned, anything Merrill says. I knew her character was going to be awesome when the first time I went to her house the conversation started off "Can I get  you something to eat or drink? I have * awkward pause* water."

#23 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -
  • Aveline: This mirror of yours — what does it do?
  • Merrill: Mostly it stands in my house, looking a bit spooky.
  • Aveline: But its magic, right? So it can do... Magic things? Is it dangerous?
  • Merrill: It could fall on someone, but you'd have to push it really hard. It's quite heavy.
  • Aveline: Merrill, is it a danger to the people of Kirkwall or not?
  • Merrill: Oh! Only to anyone sitting right under it.    

Really the voice actress for Merrill is responsible for most of the awesomeness in her lines. She is basically Tali but all the awkward pauses and random tone changes are perfect. 

#24 Posted by lodar011 (113 posts) -

So after just beating the game, I have to say "Andraste's sweet dimpled butt cheek" may be my favorite video game line ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.