Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

High Res Textures don't come with the game.

• 108 results
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By DrPockets000

Thanks for the info, I will carry on with my day now.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By vitor
    @Sweep said:
    " @MB said:
    " @ZombiePie: That sounds good, let's work on it. 
    @LiquidPrince: No more empty quotes or quoting users and then saying "+1" or "This" or some other inane comment. Consider this to be effective immediately and we'll work on getting something put into the forum rules/FAQ docs. Thanks. "
    This. "
    Oh Sweep, how you make me chuckle. 
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By Skald

Better than only having low-res textures. That's all I know.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#54  Edited By jeff

Sounds like a bit of "please activate your legitimate copy of the game with us to get this fairly key feature" to me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#55  Edited By Hailinel
    @Vitor said:
    " @Sweep said:
    " @MB said:
    " @ZombiePie: That sounds good, let's work on it. 
    @LiquidPrince: No more empty quotes or quoting users and then saying "+1" or "This" or some other inane comment. Consider this to be effective immediately and we'll work on getting something put into the forum rules/FAQ docs. Thanks. "
    This. "
    Oh Sweep, how you make me chuckle.  "
    To be fair, MB left himself wide open for that one.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#56  Edited By Claude

The Mods in this thread piss me off. When I see a quote, I know what it means. Get over yourselves mods, please, I know what the internet means.

Goddammit motherfuckers, why are you picking on LiquidPrince? You fucking pussies.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#57  Edited By Yummylee
    @Claude said:
    " The Mods in this thread piss me off. When I see a quote, I know what it means. Get over yourselves mods, please, I know what the internet means.  Goddammit motherfuckers, why are you picking on LiquidPrince? You fucking pussies. "
    EPIC BEARD MAN STRIKES BACK! 

Part II
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Jeffsekai

Sounds like a good idea, prevents people with only Dx10 comps from having to DL DX11 stuff. Lord of the Rings online did this too, saved about 4 gigs.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MikkaQ

This seems fine, if it's the case. I haven't really bought a retail PC game in quite some time.  

Also PC games take up fuckloads of space these days, so giving us the option of a lower res texture pack is kinda nice. 

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By WEGGLES

As someone with a DX11 card, but also on archaic bandwidth caps... please just issue a second disc with the hi-res stuff. 

Ah well. Between this, the pre-order malarkey and signature edition... I'll wait for it to be cheap. 

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Jeff said:
    " Sounds like a bit of "please activate your legitimate copy of the game with us to get this fairly key feature" to me. "
    I hope that isn't the case.  It would be funny though to see news articles talking about "game texture piracy" and DRM'd textures.  Then I would be disappointed at the games industry for making that a reality.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#62  Edited By Claude
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @Claude said:
    " The Mods in this thread piss me off. When I see a quote, I know what it means. Get over yourselves mods, please, I know what the internet means.  Goddammit motherfuckers, why are you picking on LiquidPrince? You fucking pussies. "
    EPIC BEARD MAN STRIKES BACK!   Part II "

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#63  Edited By spazmaster666

From what I've read about this, it seems the reason for the day-1 download is that they didn't have the higher res textures ready in time for the retail disc release so that probably means that digital copies shouldn't be effected? (if it is a disc space issue, then the texture pack must be pretty big since the game disc only has about 5.2 GB of data) I guess we'll find out for sure on Tuesday.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By Red12b

The bread thread may never happen again, on this news. 

I am saddened.  
    I also agree with Jeff, not going to quote it though, 

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65  Edited By metal_mills

Wait, the high res textures are DX11 only? *looks at GTX260* :|

DaBuddaDa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By DaBuddaDa

The review copies of the PC version came with hi-res textures on disc, confirmed by a reviewer himself. If these textures are a "download only" thing for the retail version, then it's definitely what Jeff said.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By OmegaPirate

Project 10 dollar turns into - project 'Run the game the way you want it to' - interesting

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Even if this is true.. Who cares? 

Does anyone buy physical boxed copies of PC games? 

Amazing how people will find any reason to whine.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By phrosnite
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    " Does anyone buy physical boxed copies of PC games? "
    I do but I have no problem downloading the texture pack on release date. I also find funny the things people bitch about these days. You should see the Bioware Dragon Age 2 forum. It's madness I tell you.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @phrosnite said:
    " @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    I do but I have no problem downloading the texture pack on release date. I also find funny the things people bitch about these days. You should see the Bioware Dragon Age 2 forum. It's madness I tell you. "
    I'm sure the DA2 forums have been on fire since the first screen for DA2 dropped and it didn't look exactly like DA1. On another note, I just finished preloading the Direct2Drive version which clocks in at about 6.5GB. I wonder if this includes the highres textures already? It could also be language packs or something, as there is a German and Russian readme file included.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#71  Edited By alistercat
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    " Even if this is true.. Who cares?  Does anyone buy physical boxed copies of PC games?  Amazing how people will find any reason to whine. "
    I go where the price is. I can order boxed PC games online much cheaper than a digital download from Steam. Stupid and counter intuitive, yes, but saving money is more important.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#72  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Claude said:

The fuck is it with everyone calling me out this week?

Am I going to have to come back there and flip-a-bitch? 

Asking for people to write a little something instead of just "empty quoting" isn't because we don't think you know what the fuck is going on (Though we would be fully justified in doing so, Claude. We need to make sure you aren't getting senile ;). If you agree with something someone else has written then it's not unreasonable to expect a couple of words explaining why. This ain't fucking twitter, you can't just sit there with your dick in your hands and retweet what other people are saying. 

And you attempting to stir up a shitstorm isn't appreciated, Claude.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By phrosnite
    @Chris2KLee said:
    " @phrosnite said:
    " @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    I do but I have no problem downloading the texture pack on release date. I also find funny the things people bitch about these days. You should see the Bioware Dragon Age 2 forum. It's madness I tell you. "
    I'm sure the DA2 forums have been on fire since the first screen for DA2 dropped and it didn't look exactly like DA1. On another note, I just finished preloading the Direct2Drive version which clocks in at about 6.5GB. I wonder if this includes the highres textures already? It could also be language packs or something, as there is a German and Russian readme file included. "
    Probably... because some people have the retail disc and they said that the game was 5+GB so if yours is 6.5 then you probably have the textures...
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#74  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @phrosnite said:
    " @Chris2KLee said:
    " @phrosnite said:
    " @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    I'm sure the DA2 forums have been on fire since the first screen for DA2 dropped and it didn't look exactly like DA1. On another note, I just finished preloading the Direct2Drive version which clocks in at about 6.5GB. I wonder if this includes the highres textures already? It could also be language packs or something, as there is a German and Russian readme file included. "
    Probably... because some people have the retail disc and they said that the game was 5+GB so if yours is 6.5 then you probably have the textures... "
    That or I get the glory of playing DA2 in German! Judging from the demo though, I'll probably pass on the high res textures, medium settings seemed to be the sweet spot for me, with resolution set to 1920X1080. Don't think my 2 year old laptop video card can push much more without some serious framerate issues.
    rybrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#75  Edited By rybrad
    @Shinjitsu said:
    " I assume this is for digital releases only.  Not surprising in the least. If you don't have a DX11 card why would you want to download an extra 4 gigs worth of useless textures. "
    This is for all versions of the game on PC, not digital only. The textures weren't done by the time the game went gold so no disc or digital version has them by default.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By august
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @CL60 said:

" If you're getting the PC version, you have to apparently download a high res textures pack on launch day if you're using DX11.   Just letting everybody know just in case they don't tell you that when the game comes out. "

Console versions.  EDIT: So this doesn't bother me so much. Kind of ridiculous though... (better?) "
    Yes, on the console versions you won't have the option of downloading high-res textures for a version of Direct X your machine is incapable of running. Thank you for your amazing contribution.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#77  Edited By Slaker117
    @rybrad said:
    " @Shinjitsu said:
    " I assume this is for digital releases only.  Not surprising in the least. If you don't have a DX11 card why would you want to download an extra 4 gigs worth of useless textures. "
    This is for all versions of the game on PC, not digital only. The textures weren't done by the time the game went gold so no disc or digital version has them by default. "
    Weird that it would work that way. You'd think they would start with high-res textures and scale them down for the lower settings.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By phrosnite
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @rybrad said:
    " @Shinjitsu said:
    This is for all versions of the game on PC, not digital only. The textures weren't done by the time the game went gold so no disc or digital version has them by default. "
    Weird that it would work that way. You'd think they would start with high-res textures and scale them down for the lower settings. "
    Nah, I think they focus on fitting the game on consoles and then worry about PC version looking best. Still, having those high textures is better than not having them, right ?
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By FirePrince

This thread needs to calm down. 
    Back on topic, I bet in like 10 years they'll be selling DX11 versions and DX10 versions separately.Up yours, PC gamers!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Slaker117
    @phrosnite: That seems like a plausible explanation, but I still find it a little weird. Why start in the middle and have to go back to do high-res when you can start at high-res and everything else gets taken care of along with it?

@FirePrince said:
    "I bet in like 10 years they'll be selling DX11 versions and DX10 versions separately.Up yours, PC gamers! "
    If they are still using DX11 and DX10 in ten years then PC gamers have been screwed regardless.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By phrosnite
    @Slaker117: 
    Dunno man. The whole development of this game is weird. I predict even more freaking out for Mass Effect 3.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Jeff said:
    " Sounds like a bit of "please activate your legitimate copy of the game with us to get this fairly key feature" to me. "
    That's what I was thinkin' too.
    Now I'm wondering how long before the hi-res pack goes online followed by endless claims of "I would've totally bought this game instead of pirating it if they hadn't tried to pull this bullshit" :P
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @august said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @CL60 said:

" If you're getting the PC version, you have to apparently download a high res textures pack on launch day if you're using DX11.   Just letting everybody know just in case they don't tell you that when the game comes out. "

Console versions.  EDIT: So this doesn't bother me so much. Kind of ridiculous though... (better?) "
    Yes, on the console versions you won't have the option of downloading high-res textures for a version of Direct X your machine is incapable of running. Thank you for your amazing contribution. "
    I was just saying I am going to be purchasing the console versions. Thank you for calling out my incredible contribution. Yours was equally as helpful and useful.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By benjaebe

Really weird. This comes right on the heels of rumors that Crysis 2 will be DX9 at launch and get DX11 later via a patch. Source.

What is going on over at EA?

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By jmrwacko
    @benjaebe said:
    " Really weird. This comes right on the heels of rumors that Crysis 2 will be DX9 at launch and get DX11 later via a patch. Source.  What is going on over at EA? "
    This isn't necessarily the same thing as the Crysis 2 DX11 issue, since the texture pack will be available at launch. I think it's more of an anti-piracy incentive than anything.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By benjaebe
    @jmrwacko said:

" @benjaebe said:

" Really weird. This comes right on the heels of rumors that Crysis 2 will be DX9 at launch and get DX11 later via a patch. Source.  What is going on over at EA? "
    This isn't necessarily the same thing as the Crysis 2 DX11 issue, since the texture pack will be available at launch. I think it's more of an anti-piracy incentive than anything. "
    True. Still seems like a really weird anti-piracy incentive though.
    One of the developers said this on the forums:
    "Yep, same reason day 1 DLC isn't on the disc.  This is all content we were able to complete after the game disc was locked and sent for certification."
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By CaptainCody

I guess in a way it's... DLC.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#88  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @benjaebe said:

" @jmrwacko said:

" @benjaebe said:

This isn't necessarily the same thing as the Crysis 2 DX11 issue, since the texture pack will be available at launch. I think it's more of an anti-piracy incentive than anything. "
    One of the developers said this on the forums: "Yep, same reason day 1 DLC isn't on the disc.  This is all content we were able to complete after the game disc was locked and sent for certification." "
     @Jeff said:

I doubt this has anything to do with piracy.
    Considering that if it does than it is a completely useless gesture.
    There are already a HUGE amount of incentives for registering the game with them, for ligitimate consumers.
    Pre launch DLC for this game is being thrown around like candy: pre orders, signature editions, cross game promotions (DS2), time limited pre orders, demo promotions, facebook game, facebook marketing promotions (they basically offered goodies for the players marketing the game for them.
    Seriosly the DLC list for this game before it has even launched is pretty insane.
    And to get any of it legitimately you ofcourse have to register them all with them and with your game and account.

Anyway, all of the above have 0 influence on piracy. If anything such measures encourage it.
    Why?
    It's easier to get a pirated version in one or two downloads that incldes ALL of the tens of DLCs for Dragon Age: Origins. (and DA2 has more)
    If you want an idea of how much DLC there was for DA:O go to torrents and look at the list of DLCs in the packages.
    It is much easier to just download that instead of fucking around with EA logins, Bioware Social Site, registering a myriad of your codes.
     I should know I had to register several DLCs that came with DA:O preorder + special edition at launch. And post launch could not buy any further DLC from them at all because EA store does not accept either of my credit cards unlike Steam.

The amount of DLC Bioware puts out prior to launch makes everyone else look like amatures.

PS: 

@Jeff:

I remember there being some indignation (for lack of a better term) on the Giant Bombcast regardng a marketing in a certain racing game that gave XP for spaming your friends.
    (can't remember what racing game it was) Some heated words were said by you especially.
    It would be nice to hear the GB crew thoughts on this, in the next Bombcast, considering it's DA2's release day and all :

Making gamers advertise for you, for practically nothing!
     Making gamers advertise for you, for practically nothing!
    iek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By iek
    @benjaebe: 
    correct me if i'm wrong (because i've never met any texture artists) but wouldn't they make the high res textures first and then make the lower res textures from that?  
    i mean if that is the case then the whole "This is all content we were able to complete after the game disc was locked and sent for certification" reasoning would be rubbish.
    salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By salad10203

I will wait for some modders to make it work with DX9.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By CL60
    @benjaebe said:
    " @jmrwacko said:

" @benjaebe said:

One of the developers said this on the forums: "Yep, same reason day 1 DLC isn't on the disc.  This is all content we were able to complete after the game disc was locked and sent for certification." "
    This is exactly what I think a lot of day 1 DLC is, and people simply think it's the developer screwing us.  If it's already on the disc, yes they're screwing us, but in a lot of cases where day 1 DLC is not on the disc, I bet it's just content we otherwise would not have gotten at all.
    salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By salad10203
    @Cataphract1014: no it doesn't.  
    Avatar image for brandoncooper17
    brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By brandoncooper17

The reason its not in full game is they would have to delay the game 2 weeks just to put it on disc.

This way people who want better textures get them.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By SlashDance
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#95  Edited By alistercat

Sweet. My game won't arrive until Thursday but I might as well download it now.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Funkydupe

Thanks for pointing that out SlashDance.  

A question for you guys with knowledge on hardware: I have a Geforce 570. It supposedly supports DX11. If I opt to download the 'extra graphics' will my card/computer run DX11 as smoothly as it would DX9/10? 

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By SlashDance
    @Funkydupe:  Depends on the rest of your rig, but the GTX 570 is a great graphics card so you should be fine.
    Etaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Etaber

Looks like it requires 1G of VRAM though. That may take a lot of otherwise good cards out of the running.

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Inf225

Ah whatever, i bet my GTX480 cant handle them anyway.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By JoeyRavn

Are there any screens or videos for comparison yet? I have a GTX460 paired with a Q8400@3.02 and I don't really know if I'll be able to handle them well...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.