Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

is there an Arcane Warrior type build in this?

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By buft

I never played as an arcane warrior last time but was thinking about trying something like that out, will i have to go back to origins/awakening to do that or will dragon age 2 have a spell type tree for warriors or some sort of melee/armour tree for mages?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By NegativeCero
    Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
    Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yeah, I think you'd have to go back to DA:O for that.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By buft

ah well sucks that there will be no spellsword type available.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By project343
    @buft said:
    " ah well sucks that there will be no spellsword type available. "
    I believe BioWare said that they wanted to make things a tad more focused than Origins. I mean, the fact that you could turn Morrigan into a righteous Paladin-type of doom... sort of ridiculous. It's also why they stripped dual wield away from Warriors. 

Two core gameplay variations for each class: 
    Mage - healer / damage 
    Warrior - two handed / sword and shield 
    Rogue - ranged / melee 
    Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SmasheControllers

Hate that there's no AW, but since I don't want Bethany to die I'm playing Warrior anyways.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Enigma777

No, but the staves now have swords on the end so it doesn't really matter.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti

AW was so ridiculously OP in Origins.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

Yeah I was really bummed out when I read no AW in DA2 but I've come to terms with it. I just need to figure out what the hell I want to play as.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FritzDude

Let's face it guys... Arcane warrrior was and still is overpowered. I'm glad it's gone.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By buft
    @StarvingGamer said:
    " Yeah I was really bummed out when I read no AW in DA2 but I've come to terms with it. I just need to figure out what the hell I want to play as. "
    im planning on doing my first playthrough as an archery rogue with a side order of smokebombs( forgot name something flasks)
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " AW was so ridiculously OP in Origins. "
    Totally, and I laved it! It's the only way I was able to beat Ser Cauthrien just after you rescued Queen Anora; the battle where's literally like 12 archers, two mages a few dozen elite knights and also her as a boss of course. 
    Most of my party died as quick as they usually do, but my Arcane Warrior was able to practically take em all on <3
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I remember before Origins came out, they had stated that they weren't going to have tank-mages as a design choice.  And then they made Arcane Warrior so... yeah.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

No,its confirmed that there is no Arcane Warrior in Dragon Age 2, a disappointment for me really, but the mage class,judging by the demo is improved, a lot.
    And to be fair, the AW sub-class was overpowered in DA:O, especially if you had some DLC items on your AW.
    Case in point.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @Tennmuerti said:
    " AW was so ridiculously OP in Origins. "
    Totally, and I laved it! It's the only way I was able to beat Ser Cauthrien just after you rescued Queen Anora; the battle where's literally like 12 archers, two mages a few dozen elite knights and also her as a boss of course. Most of my party died as quick as they usually do, but my Arcane Warrior was able to practically take em all on <3 "
    I had a pure mage in Origins that I made into AW in Awakening.
    It's fun rolling around with 200 spellpower, then switching to shield and sword and being able to do more dmg then a 2h warrior and tank in robes better then a plate clad warrior tank.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By borodin
    @Abyssfull: woah woah woah, you can WIN that fight? :| do you avoid getting captured?
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @borodin said:
    " @Abyssfull: woah woah woah, you can WIN that fight? :| do you avoid getting captured? "
    Yes. You can just kill all of them.
    And it's possible without any overpowered characters either.
    Just run back into the prison cell to avoid archers and mages, this way only melee enemies follow you. Then deal with the rest.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pinworm45

In a related note, I'm pretty bummed that you can't have two weapon sets equipped. I made a rogue and wanted to be an archer, so I picked some archery talents. But I had fun with the duel weilding stuff, and then I got an archer character (and another one I can get with the DLC). So I figured I'd make my guy switch between them. 

..but yeah, no. You have to go to your inventory and switch weapons rather than just hit Tab like in the first game. Kinda annoying. I've also not done any math, but I imagine splitting up the talents will gimp you later on. 

But I'm still gunna try. Just wish they let you do both. I wanted to be an archer, but with 3 archers in the game.. yea.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By buft
    @Pinworm45: im planning to run archer myself, guess the dwarf and sebastian will have to wait until i go through as a mage
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#20  Edited By alistercat

I want a dual wielding warrior but looks like I cant do that this time around.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pinworm45

Weird how they chose to limit so much in this sequel.. They've gone way passed "focused" and hit "limiting"

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By TomA
    @project343 said:
    " @buft said:
    " ah well sucks that there will be no spellsword type available. "
    I believe BioWare said that they wanted to make things a tad more focused than Origins. I mean, the fact that you could turn Morrigan into a righteous Paladin-type of doom... sort of ridiculous. It's also why they stripped dual wield away from Warriors.  Two core gameplay variations for each class: Mage - healer / damage Warrior - two handed / sword and shield Rogue - ranged / melee  "
    In other words, a solid reason to not play the game.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho

The elf warrior with crystals in his skin or whatever (Fenris? I'm not looking it up), his unique class is basically an arcane warrior. But he's more warrior than arcane. But he is doing magic damage. So yeah, each character other than your siblings has a unique class that only they can learn. You can't turn rogues into tank warriors who pick locks anymore because that shit was broken. You can't duel wield as a warrior because that shit was broken. In DAO I was using a bunch of warrior-rogues and duel weilding warriors so I could use a ton of imbued weapons and never get challenged. Shit was broken. I don't wax nostalgic about broken shit.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By project343
    @TomA said:
    "In other words, a solid reason to not play the game. "
    If you're going to be unnecessarily cynical, yes. But I believe the over abundance of choice was a detriment to what makes BioWare games so wonderful: their characters. All of a sudden you have a bunch of white canvases walking around in your party--susceptible to the whims of player choice. If I have one complaint about Origins, it's a fairly large one: the game lacks 'character' in all senses of the word--be it defined characters, or a protagonist who simply didn't have 'enough' to him, or even the generic fantasy world that they developed.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sickVisionz

Super boo hiss at the lack of Arcane Warrior.  They could have dropped the power a little bit but that was my favorite class.  I hate when they take out optional stuff that's good.  Nobody had a gun put their head and was forced to take that specialization against their will.  Why remove it for people who enjoyed it?

@Pinworm45
    said:

" In a related note, I'm pretty bummed that you can't have two weapon sets equipped. "

This is a horrible change imo.  Every other change I've heard was "meh" but this really sucks.  It seems like they're really giving you no options for how you want to play this game.  One thing that I loved about the Rogue and Arcane Warrior from DA:O is that it allowed your party to be extremely liquid.  If you needed to hang back, switch to your staff or bow and tag people from a distance.  If you need a bit more up close power, pull out your sword or dagger and go ham. 

I'm still going to buy it and will probably enjoy it, but with DA:O I thought the ME2 thing was just for Mass Effect but now it seems like a company wide thing.  I wonder what made them decide that customization and letting you play the game with the build you want in a way that you want are terrible terrible things that have no place in modern RPGs? 

@project343 said:
    " @TomA said:
    "In other words, a solid reason to not play the game. "
    If you're going to be unnecessarily cynical, yes. But I believe the over abundance of choice was a detriment to what makes BioWare games so wonderful: their characters. All of a sudden you have a bunch of white canvases walking around in your party--susceptible to the whims of player choice. If I have one complaint about Origins, it's a fairly large one: the game lacks 'character' in all senses of the word--be it defined characters, or a protagonist who simply didn't have 'enough' to him, or even the generic fantasy world that they developed. "
    I don't get this at all.  How does being able to customize your combat options mean that the characters are bad?  I don't see how the two are even connected.  For me, the story and the combat are like completely separate aspects of the game.  I don't see how building my rogue partner differently than Bio-Ware thinks the ideal rogue should be built means that the rogue can't be a good character for the story of the game.
    kratier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kratier

so basically people are crying because they cant easymode the entire game with the cheapest class imaginable?

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sickVisionz
    @kratier said:
    " so basically people are crying because they cant easymode the entire game with the cheapest class imaginable? "
    People are complaining because they removed a class that they like.  it'd be the same as Spirit Healer fans getting upset about them removing that or Templar fans getting upset that they removed that class.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ryanwho
    @kratier said:
    " so basically people are crying because they cant easymode the entire game with the cheapest class imaginable? "
    The game is still super easy. With very few exceptions. Dragons are still somewhat tough and the rock boss in Deep Roads was a little rough.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pinworm45
    @sickVisionz said:
    @Pinworm45 said:

" In a related note, I'm pretty bummed that you can't have two weapon sets equipped. "

This is a horrible change imo.  Every other change I've heard was "meh" but this really sucks.  It seems like they're really giving you no options for how you want to play this game.  One thing that I loved about the Rogue and Arcane Warrior from DA:O is that it allowed your party to be extremely liquid.  If you needed to hang back, switch to your staff or bow and tag people from a distance.  If you need a bit more up close power, pull out your sword or dagger and go ham. 

I'm still going to buy it and will probably enjoy it, but with DA:O I thought the ME2 thing was just for Mass Effect but now it seems like a company wide thing.  I wonder what made them decide that customization and letting you play the game with the build you want in a way that you want are terrible terrible things that have no place in modern RPGs? "
    Well, you still can change your weapons. Just, rather than having 2 sets that you can tab between like in DA:O, you basically have to go into your inventory, take off your weapon, put on your other one. It's really fucking weird that they did this because it was such a simple addition the first game brought that added nice convenience, then they just removed it. A lot of examples of that in this game, and it's really weird. 

Also, going into multiple talent trees (ie archery and DW) kind of gimps your character. I started doing it, but yea, there's not room for that. Unlike the first game, you don't get a crapload of ability unlocks. Also, unlike the first game, there's actual good choices instead of just a few out of a hundred. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.