New to Dragon Age

#1 Posted by Eversoranimus (122 posts) -

Let me begin by saying that I had never played Dragon Age before, in fact I didn't know much about it other than it was made by BioWare. It wasn't until this week that my girlfriends brother stayed over for a few days and downloaded the Dragon Age 2 demo on the 360. Saw him play for a few minutes then I played, now I'm thinking of buying the game. Now my real question is if I should play Dragon Age first before buying 2 or if I can just start fresh from 2? 

Are there story elements I might miss by not playing DAO?  

Thanks...

#2 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

save data does transfer from the last game.

#3 Posted by Marz (5655 posts) -

you basically miss out on alot on the lore and quite a bit about the Grey Wardens of Ferelden.   But Dragon Age 2 is a separate storyline, it kind of happens during the events of the first game and branches off from there.   It's not a requirement to play the first game but you will understand quite a bit more of about what is currently going on.

#4 Posted by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins is a fantastic game and you should really play it first since both stories timelines overlap and some decisions you make will carry over.  DAO plays differently than DA2, DAO is more strategic and plays alot like the KOTOR series.

#5 Posted by allenibrahim (377 posts) -

I think you should at least read up on the first game. I mean... 
the entire village attack that you're fleeing from at the beginning of the demo? Happened very close to when your character in 1 was there.  
The Gray Wardens that Flemeth was referring to? One of them is your character, the other is this dude.
You get to see Ostagar go down and escape it (and return briefly in a DLC!) 
Most of the terms the storytelling dwarf used are all in the lore of both games.

#6 Posted by Shirogane (3578 posts) -

From what i've seen of DA2, it's fairly unrelated, in terms of the main overall stuff, but there seem to be references to stuff that happens in 1 quite consatntly. I'd say, don't make an effort to play through DA:O first if you really dont' want to. Also keep in mind that the gameplay is MUCH different. 1 is way harder, slower and more strategic than 2 seems to be. Trying to play through it now, cause i never finished it, it is extremely different from 2, you might not like it.
#7 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

They're barely even the same game as far as gameplay goes.

#8 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

You'll catch some cool nods to the first game, but other than that it's mostly just lore and back-story you'll be missing

#9 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Playing the first game will make Dragon Age 2 much better. 

#10 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -
@Hourai said:
" Playing the first game will make Dragon Age 2 much better.  "
Sorry but why?  A few cameos probably won't be too satisfying (like Wynne in Awakening), and the plot is probably going to have little to nothing to do with Origins.  If anything, they'll have some DLC later on that is directly affected by your actions in the awful Witch Hunt from the first game. 

If anything, playing the first will make the second one worse, if you're a fan of the Origins style, because it'll probably feel dumbed down, and the visual style is worse.
#11 Posted by Brodehouse (9966 posts) -

Playing Origins will make it better because a lot of the lore is set up there.  Dragon Age II, they will have some establishing stuff and some basic codex things, but you might not understand the intricacies of the relationship between the Circle of Magi and the Chantry templars without it.  You won't have prior knowledge of the qu'nari of Par Vollen, the animosity between Orlesians and Fereldans, or how the world generally feels about the Grey Wardens.

And the whole Flemeth thing itself.  Man, how does she get her hair like that?  What kind of product does she use?

#12 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11796 posts) -

You might not have to, as Dragon Age II can't really be called a direct sequel the same way that Mass Effect 2 can be. Despite that, I think you should play Dragon Age Origins because it's a great game.

#13 Posted by Eversoranimus (122 posts) -

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to play DAO do you guys think I have enough time to finish at least one play through before DA 2 releases?

#14 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
  And the whole Flemeth thing itself.  Man, how does she get her hair like that?  What kind of product does she use? "
Yeah, because turning into a dragon is totally realistic. I never understand this selective demand for realism in fantasy games.
#15 Posted by Chris2KLee (2336 posts) -
@Eversoranimus said:
" Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to play DAO do you guys think I have enough time to finish at least one play through before DA 2 releases? "
It takes about I'd say 30-40 hours to get through a playthrough, so you should be OK if you do an hour or 2 a day. The Awakenings and DLC might add another 10 to 20 hours.
#16 Posted by Marz (5655 posts) -
@Eversoranimus:  my first playthrough was around 50hours, so you might be cutting it close if you want to finish it by the time the 8th comes around.
#17 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

You should play DA:O, but you really don't need to play DA2 as soon as it's released. 

#18 Posted by Brodehouse (9966 posts) -
@jozzy said:
" @Brodehouse said:
  And the whole Flemeth thing itself.  Man, how does she get her hair like that?  What kind of product does she use? "
Yeah, because turning into a dragon is totally realistic. I never understand this selective demand for realism in fantasy games. "
I have no demand for realism, I just think its a funny character design.
#19 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (354 posts) -

I'd say DA2 is pretty greatly affected by your DAO savegame, as all of your major decisions from Origins will be implemented as the DA2 storyline goes along(and let's face it, your character in the first game made quite a few big changes in the world). 

As for myself, knowing what I know, I'd be interested in playing DA2 without having played the first one, then going back to that to see what I'd do different from the "default template" that is applied when a save isn't imported. But then again, at the end of DA2 one probably isn't too interested in playing the first one anymore. I sure as hell wouldn't wanna go back to Mass Effect after having played the sequel.

#20 Posted by endaround (2146 posts) -
@doublezeroduck: They've been saying it from the begining. A lot of the big decisions (ie faction decisions) will likely have an impact.  Understanding what is going on is likely the best reason to play DA:O before DA 2.
#21 Posted by OtakuGamer (1243 posts) -

Theres no need to go back, if you really want to know what happened in Dragon Age Orgins just check out the wiki.
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age_Wiki

#22 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

The only thing I'm really curious about is more how much will be affected by the choises I made in Origins. I'm not too eager to go back and play it again simply because I lost my save. But I'm also not looking forward playing the sequel if there's a lot of important events from Origins that become taken into affect.

#23 Posted by ttocs (763 posts) -

Yes, you can definitely finish it by the time the 8th rolls around.  Just stick to the main storylines and make it the only game you play.  Or, you could just play it normally and wait until you finish it before picking up Dragon Age 2.  Not getting it on the 8th is ok.

#24 Posted by probablytuna (3684 posts) -

You should definitely pick up Dragon Age: Origins. The Ultimate Dragon Age pack that they've been releasing for the past couple of months is a great deal for people new to the series. I believe it has the main game, all the campaign DLCs and Awakening bundled?

#25 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -
@endaround: If it's anything like Mass Effect (which promoted cross-game saves MUCH more than Dragon Age), it will be like either a mage tells you a sentence about what's going on at the circle, or a templar does.  You'll either bump into a werewolf in the woods who talks to you, or a Dalish elf.  Characters will either mention the King, or the Queen.  I sincerely doubt your saves will have any meaningful impact, because there was no talk of saves transferring until it turned out to be so popular in Mass Effect.  It will just change one model in each section, or one sentence in every 100 conversations.  I don't think missing out on DA:O will be much of a detriment at all, especially since the leads on this game are different from the prequel's leads, and that they've disregarded a lot from the original.
#26 Posted by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins is a fantastic game that you should definitely pick up and play. Buy the ultimate edition for full content . Now, will you miss out some key story elements without playing it? Nah. Though it will be easier for you to understand the story and characters. Another reason is that you can import your save file. It will not let you play with the same character you did in the first game, but it will take some decisions and choices from it.

#27 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@doublezeroduck said:
" @kingzetta: Saved data transfers? Where did you hear that? "
It's been common knowledge for like a year. It was one of the first things they announced about the game.
You don't play as your warden but the world you made does transfer..
#28 Posted by Tennmuerti (8123 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:
" The only thing I'm really curious about is more how much will be affected by the choises I made in Origins. I'm not too eager to go back and play it again simply because I lost my save. But I'm also not looking forward playing the sequel if there's a lot of important events from Origins that become taken into affect. "
It's unlikely that the effect will be anything big.
Think ME1 to ME2 transfer but even less impact, since the story is even less related.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.