Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

No Auto-Attack on Consoles?

• 61 results
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By wrighteous86

As you may know, some people have already gotten their hands on retail copies of DA2.  The game's designers have mentioned a number of times that auto-attack will be an option available to console gamers in the options menu of DA2 for fans of Origins, but so far that seems to not be the case. 

Of course, it's possible that the option may be added in a Day One (or later) patch, but at the moment, it doesn't seem like it's available, which, if true, is really disappointing.  Why take out an option that could so easily be included? 
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Pinworm45

Not surprising, this game is turning out to be a fairly big disappointment in most regards, to a lot of people. That and bioware has said a few times that there would be things that there blatantly isn't (tactical view anyone?). I just hope the story ends up being worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm looking forward to it still and so far disappointed by nothing even though DA:O is one my of favorite games. People are too damn picky and stuck up about changes.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By wrighteous86
    @EveretteScott: I don't consider it a "change" if the "change" makes it just like another game in the genre, abandoning something that made it unique. I'd prefer they improve on the things that made them different, rather than homogenizing their games. 

If the next Halo came out playing just like Call of Duty, I wouldn't be pissed off at Halo players for hating "change".  Copying another game is not necessarily a good thing.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60

Don't see why all of the main developers would lie on the forums. They've said multiple times consoles can put auto attack on. Said they weren't going to, but they decided to eventually.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wrighteous86
    @CL60: Well the videos show that they're not in there.  I said that they might add it in a patch.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By mazik765
    @Wrighteous86:  Can you even name a game that DA2 is 'copying'?
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wrighteous86
    @mazik765:
    They copied the dialog system from Mass Effect 2.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mazik765
    @Wrighteous86 said:
    " @mazik765: They copied the dialog system from Mass Effect 2. "
    No the copied the interface of the dialog. The dialogue trees are still in their DA:O form.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Daveyo520
    @mazik765 said:
    " @Wrighteous86 said:
    No the copied the interface of the dialog. The dialogue trees are still in their DA:O form. "
    Agreed in DA:O you still picked from things to say, people forget this.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wrighteous86
    @mazik765:
    I meant the interface, I stand corrected.  However, I think they use the ME interface as a crutch that effects the quality of the dialog trees.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mazik765
    @Wrighteous86:  The game still plays the same way, they just chose to present that information in a neater, easier to understand way. I don't see how this is homogenizing or dumbing down the game by correcting what they feel were shortcomings in the first game.

Not directed at you, but if people want a game that is exactly like DA:O, they should probably play DA:O.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wrighteous86
    @mazik765: I think it's reasonable for people to hope that a sequel would improve on aspects of the predecessor, rather than replace them entirely.  I'm still looking forward to playing Dragon Age 2, and I do like Mass Effect, but I will be disappointed if they play as similarly as I'm expecting.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mazik765
    @Wrighteous86:  But they don't. Having the same dialogue UI =/= having the same gameplay. And they did improve on aspects. They still have the dialogue system with the same function as DA:O just with increased clarity. As far as I can tell from the demo, everything I loved about DA:O will be in DA2.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nottle
    @mazik765: I wouldn't say the new dialouge is clearer.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mazik765
    @Nottle:  Why not? It tells you the exact intent of the statement. I mean I could see the argument being made that it's a paraphrased statement so you don't know the exact wording, but I think the intent of the statement is more important than the words used to express that intent.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pinworm45
    @mazik765 said:
    " @Wrighteous86:  But they don't. Having the same dialogue UI =/= having the same gameplay. And they did improve on aspects. They still have the dialogue system with the same function as DA:O just with increased clarity. As far as I can tell from the demo, everything I loved about DA:O will be in DA2. "
    Are you really saying the dialogue tree in DA2 has increased clarity? really? It suffers from "this looks like it says one thing, but says something completely different" syndrome more than ME2 did, and the symbols in the middle when mousing over are never explained nor are they particularly obvious in their intent. They might be explained in the retail version, or I could look it up, but how in any way is that "increased clarity" over knowing exactly what your guy is saying?
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wrighteous86
    @mazik765: Yeah, I'm still hopeful, just concerned. I guess I'll find out on Tuesday. 

Honestly, I'd be fine with the added images implying tone for the conversation system, but I prefer the list to the circular menu.  In Dragon Age, I read every answer and picked the one that felt most like what I would say.  It slowed the game down and affected the flow, but it felt more personal to me.  In Mass Effect, you almost have to fight the temptation to just pick the reply that is in the quadrant denoted by whether you're playing as a Paragon or Renegade on this playthrough.  It makes it easier for them to just have a good, neutral, and evil answer, rather than shades of gray.  That was my experience with Mass Effect, at least.  I really hated the blue and red dialog text in that game, because I would always choose that because it was "rarer" dialog, even if my actual reaction was one of the white choices. 

In terms of auto-attack, I'd be fine with button-press combat if it felt like other action-RPGs, or felt satisfying at all, where the attack felt tied to my button press.  In the demo, though, it felt like I was just hammering on the A button to keep the animation going, more like the running in the GTA games.  Since it felt so loose to me, I was looking forward to just using the old method.
    ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThanosIsMad

It's in the radial menu, not the options menu from what I've been hearing.  

Unfortunately, I've also been hearing some stuff about auto-attack resetting back to default if you target another enemy, which would be really idiotic on Bioware's part.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wrighteous86
    @thanosismad: The video looked through the radial menu and didn't find it, but it doesn't mean it's not there.  I've also heard the rumors you have, that it's in there and reverts to default.  Designers have said that it's in the game, and would be in the options menu most likely, but the videos I posted don't seem to have the option in the main menu or in the radial menu.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nottle
    @mazik765: Maybe I'm wrong, I think the reason i don't like it is that is too clear in ways but not in others. Knowing a comment Hawkes making is sarcastic is great. Helps out in misunderstandings. The paraphrasing bothers me, i rather read exactly what i'm going to say. With the wheel there still can be some moments where i'll think, "thats not what i wanted to say". The list feels more natural and i never had a problem knowing the intent of the statements.
     Also the wheel is so transparent, the set up is always the same, left is always investigate and then on the right you are judged on your choices because you know blue=paragon=top right and red = renegade=bottom right, essentially. Before you were just given a list of choices, you were the one deciding what was good. Now in DA2 when given the choice to euthanize a tranquill  know that killing them is the good choice and letting them live would be bad. Before there was a gray area in your choices, and thats something games need to replicate, not some wheel thats there for people to think less.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By shirogane
    @Daveyo520 said:
    " @mazik765 said:
    " @Wrighteous86 said:
    No the copied the interface of the dialog. The dialogue trees are still in their DA:O form. "
    Agreed in DA:O you still picked from things to say, people forget this. "

That said, DA2 does seem to be going in the ME2 direction with the changes. DA2 is very much like ME2 to DA:O. More actiony, set protagonist, voiced protagonist. It's almost like they're abandoning the whole RPG aspect, which is what i think a lot of people liked about DA:O, and previous Bioware games. 
    Eh, from what i tried of the demo i liked it though.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Quacktastic

I read that you have to bring up the wheel, target an enemy and then press A or X to start auto-attacking a target and that you have to do that every time you want to use it.  If that's true, they have been pretty misleading.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Ursus_Veritas
    @Quacktastic said:
    " I read that you have to bring up the wheel, target an enemy and then press A or X to start auto-attacking a target and that you have to do that every time you want to use it.  If that's true, they have been pretty misleading. "
    My time with DA: O Is a little hazy, but on the 360 version I'm sure I did that to initiate normal auto-attack too - like, pull up the radial menu, put my intended target in the centre of it and hit A, then unpaused. That's definitely how I did it in the DAII demo when I was controlling the other party members as far as I remember... to be honest, I think I'm going to play through the game mostly action-rpg style with controlling hawke directly, then pausing to strategise with my other party members. So I'm not too fussed about Auto-attack wither way.  

It'd seem really weird if Bioware were touting it as a feature on the console version only for it to not be there... then again, I think there's been a whole lot of false interpretations from both gamers and EA/Bioware in the run up to this game. Still, looking forward to my SE being delivered next Friday =D
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sickVisionz
    @Wrighteous86 said:
    " @EveretteScott: I don't consider it a "change" if the "change" makes it just like another game in the genre, abandoning something that made it unique. I'd prefer they improve on the things that made them different, rather than homogenizing their games.  If the next Halo came out playing just like Call of Duty, I wouldn't be pissed off at Halo players for hating "change".  Copying another game is not necessarily a good thing. "
    The changes to DA:2 aren't anywhere near the degree of changing the actual genre of the game.  They've made attacks faster to execute and modified the dialog tree to where you'll only have a maximum of 6 options available at any one time.  How do those changes stop the game from being a RPG?
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By endaround
    @sickVisionz: They've eliminated skills, they've cut down the number of spells, they've limited weapon choices, they've limited upgrading armor, they've limited companion advancement choices, they've limited crafting, they've removed facing in battle and they've seemed to turn dialog into the ME choice of whether to be an asshole or not (berating your mother after your brother/sister has died?  Really?) 

Again this doesn't mean the game will stink but it's much closer to Fable with NPCs than DA:O.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nottle

I really hope its a day one patch, i want to play rogue but it will be so boring if i have to press A as fast as they swing their daggers.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By phrosnite
    @sickVisionz said:

" @Wrighteous86 said:

" @EveretteScott: I don't consider it a "change" if the "change" makes it just like another game in the genre, abandoning something that made it unique. I'd prefer they improve on the things that made them different, rather than homogenizing their games.  If the next Halo came out playing just like Call of Duty, I wouldn't be pissed off at Halo players for hating "change".  Copying another game is not necessarily a good thing. "
    The changes to DA:2 aren't anywhere near the degree of changing the actual genre of the game.  They've made attacks faster to execute and modified the dialog tree to where you'll only have a maximum of 6 options available at any one time.  How do those changes stop the game from being a RPG? "
    Because the internet is full of idiots. When someone says RPG they all think of Diablo 2. Diablo 2 is barely an RPG but it was so popular that most people think this is the standard for RPG.
     Do you remember Brad's stupid comment that, "It's not an RPG if it doesn't have loot."?
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nottle
    @phrosnite: What makes something an RPG?  I don't see how Diablo isn't one. Sure you aren't making choices in the story, but you are picking a character and building up stats.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By phrosnite
    @Nottle: 
     There are tons of posts on many forums(this one included) on that subject. I gave up trying to explain to people what is an RPG and what is a dungeon crawler.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sickVisionz
    @phrosnite said:
    " Do you remember Brad's stupid comment that, "It's not an RPG if it doesn't have loot."? "
    To be fair though, I can't think of any RPGs that I've played other than Mass Effect 2 (which is divisive) that don't give you loot or at least money.  Even JRPG baddies drop gold and/or items when you kill them.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nottle
    @phrosnite: Ok. I'm not going to search for that answer. I still think that RPG is a very vauge term and not the best way to describe a game Though I think Diablo falls under it, Dragon Age falls under it, Fallout falls under it, and Jrpgs fall under it. Those are always what come to mind when i think RPG.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By phrosnite
    @sickVisionz said:
    " @phrosnite said:
    " Do you remember Brad's stupid comment that, "It's not an RPG if it doesn't have loot."? "
    To be fair though, I can't think of any RPGs that I've played other than Mass Effect 2 (which is divisive) that don't give you loot or at least money.  Even JRPG baddies drop gold and/or items when you kill them. "
    This is just an element of the RPGs. If loot alone makes a game RPG than many, many, many games can be called RPGs. Bioshock anyone?
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sickVisionz
    @phrosnite:  I didn't interpret Brad's comment as, "It's an RPG if it has loot."
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kingzetta

Mike laidlaw the lead designer of DA2 has said multiple times on camera, that auto attack is in console versons.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By phrosnite

People say that the toggle is ON THE RADIAL MENU, NOT IN THE OPTIONS.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By devilzrule27
    @Wrighteous86: Dragon Age Origins copied the dialog system from Jade Empire.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Nottle: The problem with reading exactly what you're going to say is that it makes the dialog move at a GLACIAL pace and it completely screws with the flow of dialog. You have to read anywhere between 3-5X the amount of dialog that would normally be presented to make an educated choice and meanwhile your character is standing there staring straight ahead. This way you know immediately what you're going to say and how you're going to say it and the conversation can keep flowing naturally.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#40  Edited By Yummylee

I hope to god this is just a pre-release bug, and one that's planned to be patched in soon. The auto-attack was one of the worst alterations between the games, and didn't improve the combat at all, for me.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By phrosnite
    @Abyssfull: 
    People are saying that the toggle for the auto-attack in on the radial menu and not in the options menu. We'll ask Mike Laidlaw during the LIVE demo in 2 hours.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mazik765
    @Nottle said:
    " @phrosnite: Ok. I'm not going to search for that answer. I still think that RPG is a very vauge term and not the best way to describe a game Though I think Diablo falls under it, Dragon Age falls under it, Fallout falls under it, and Jrpgs fall under it. Those are always what come to mind when i think RPG. "
    I totally agree. It's really hard to define what an RPG is exactly, but once you see a game you can usually tell. Are dungeon crawlers RPGs? Yes. Is Bioshock an RPG? No. 

And in response to your earlier post Nottle; I can see your point about it being too clear, but at the same time I think this is kind of curbed by the game not having a morality meter (or at least I think I remember hearing that somewhere). So you have the ability to act as a grey character, making the decisions that reflect what you think is morally appropriate at the time without messing up an achievement or something. I think this will reduce the pressure people feel to always choose good or always choose bad.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CL60

Go on the live stream when it starts and bombard them with the auto attack question.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By endaround
    @phrosnite said:
    " @Abyssfull:  People are saying that the toggle for the auto-attack in on the radial menu and not in the options menu. We'll ask Mike Laidlaw during the LIVE demo in 2 hours. "
    What it sounds like is if you set you character to attack using the radial menu it will continue to auto-attack.  As soon as you do something else it stops and you have to reset it again with the radial menu.  There is no toggle as such where is you push "A" it will auto-attack until you change actions.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By wrighteous86
    @phrosnite said:

" People say that the toggle is ON THE RADIAL MENU, NOT IN THE OPTIONS. "

The video shows them check the radial menu AND FIND NOTHING. 

@sickVisionz said:
    " @Wrighteous86 said:
    The changes to DA:2 aren't anywhere near the degree of changing the actual genre of the game.  They've made attacks faster to execute and modified the dialog tree to where you'll only have a maximum of 6 options available at any one time.  How do those changes stop the game from being a RPG? "
    I didn't say it was changing genres.  I said it's becoming more like Mass Effect, in my opinion.  The changes you mentioned and a few others make me feel that way.  It's fine if you disagree.  A lot of people argue "well I liked Mass Effect better", and that's a shitty argument.  I liked Mass Effect too, but I liked Origins for being different.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By phrosnite
    @Wrighteous86: 

Hmm... well we will ask Mike Laidlaw during the live demo which will start in 50 min here 
    http://dragonage.bioware.com/x/webcast/
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By wrighteous86
    @phrosnite: Yeah, if it's not there, I'm sure it'll be in a patch, but if the whole "use the radial menu every time you want to auto-attack" is true, that sucks.
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By Punk1984

I think a lot of the "Backlash" (can it be 'backlash' if the game isn't out yet?) coming Bioware's way is that DA:O was something of a throwback to earlier PC Rpgs like the Baludr's Gate series. Now it seems like DA2 is dumping that 'old school' feel for something more in line with Mass Effect 2. I know the demo convinced me not to buy the game, but I also understand why I like DA:O and don't like ME2.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CL60

The chat is fucking ridiculous on the stream.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Punk1984 said:

" I think a lot of the "Backlash" (can it be 'backlash' if the game isn't out yet?) coming Bioware's way is that DA:O was something of a throwback to earlier PC Rpgs like the Baludr's Gate series. Now it seems like DA2 is dumping that 'old school' feel for something more in line with Mass Effect 2. I know the demo convinced me not to buy the game, but I also understand why I like DA:O and don't like ME2. "

Frontlash?  

@CL60:
     Where is it?  I wanna watch!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.