No signature edition at Steam

#1 Posted by Nelander (177 posts) -

So they confirmed on Bioware forums that the signature edition won't be available in Steam. This made me a very sad panda indeed, as Steam is my preferred retailer for pc games. With this news I relented and preordered from amazon. However Bioware really disappointed me with this turn of event. what do you people think? where did this decision come from? one popular theory is that it was EA to drive sales to their own digital store. I dont get this type of strategy as it seriously deteroriate goodwill from your consumer base (probably even from people who were not going to use steam, as they might see it as a greedy move), I doubt that the increase profit is that much and their store will never really be able to compete with steam. steam is now too big, they have a larger customer base and bigger catalog access.

#2 Posted by DeF (4891 posts) -

that sucks indeed. (I will be getting the retail version anyway ...and on console cause I need a new pc...gaaah!!)

#3 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -

What exactly is in the signature edition?  If it's exclusive story-relevant DLC then, well, fuck 'em.  I'm not buying a game through EAs store. Steam or nothing for me at this point, for big releases anyway. If you're some indie selling it through your own store, that's one thing. But EA has no excuse.

#4 Posted by Nelander (177 posts) -

The signature edition is their collection edition. it comes from aditional dlc that they valued at $20. However if you preorder before jan 11, it just cost the regular price. here is the post when they announced it.

" This limited edition of Dragon Age II will be available at no extra cost for gamers who pre-order Dragon Age II before January 11, 2011. Featuring over $20 of additional content, the Dragon Age II BioWare Signature Edition includes the full version of Dragon Age II, along with a download code for an additional playable character and new missions, the Dragon Age II digital soundtrack, an exclusive in-game digital armory featuring a variety of in-game weapons and other digital in-game items.

The Dragon Age II BioWare Signature Edition will only be available for pre-order and online purchase on or before January 11, 2011."

#5 Posted by Jimbo (9812 posts) -

Steam is too big, which is why it's healthy that publishers incentivize buying directly from their own sites when they can.  The best way you can support PC gaming right now (not that the customer has a duty to do that, but if you want to) is to buy directly from the developer/publisher's own site when given the option.  They obviously have to sell less copies if they're taking ~100% of the proceeds than if they're taking ~70%.  

I'd rather my money go to the company making the game than to Valve who, let's face it, for a game like Dragon Age are getting a substantial chunk of the sale price for doing very little actual work.

#6 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -
@Jimbo: Except that the EA store comes with its own downloader and its own problems, including less-than-stellar customer service.  No, I buy from steam because they continue to provide the best user experience. Not putting a game on there doesn't mean I'm going somewhere else, it means instead of Dragon Age 2 I play The Witcher 2, and y'know, I'm okay with that.
#7 Posted by Nelander (177 posts) -

I disagree.  Steam does add value to me. which is why I prefer it over the ea store ,and therefore I want money to go to valve so they keep the service and expand it. As one of my former professors used to say, you can take out the middleman, not what the middleman does. Besides I am sure the losses due to the used market are bigger than the cut they give to steam and you cant resell game on steam. what angered me the most is that they single-out Steam.

#8 Posted by raiz265 (2239 posts) -

So we're at the point where people are pissed to get a boxed version over a download? 

I don't really see your problem with buying the game on amazon

#9 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -
@raiz265: Because then I have a box I don't want or need, I have to keep all of that documentation for whenever I need to install it in the future, and I forego having all of that automatically done for me through the steam service. I don't own a single boxed PC game out of about 200 games, and I"m not about to start.
#10 Posted by Jimbo (9812 posts) -
@litrock said:
" @Jimbo: Except that the EA store comes with its own downloader and its own problems, including less-than-stellar customer service.  No, I buy from steam because they continue to provide the best user experience. Not putting a game on there doesn't mean I'm going somewhere else, it means instead of Dragon Age 2 I play The Witcher 2, and y'know, I'm okay with that. "
I don't believe there are a significant number of people that think like that, and evidently neither does EA.  Gamers don't exactly have a reputation for having the courage of their convictions on these things.  If somebody desperately wants the Sig edition of DA2 then they'll go where they have to to get it; if somebody isn't that bothered then they'll get the regular edition from Steam.  There won't be a significant number of people who are so put out by the Sig edition not being available on Steam that they will pass on the game entirely and play something else.  That just won't happen.  (If I were you and I had to choose between them then I'd just play The Witcher 2 over Dragon Age 2 anyway, because it's probably going to be a better game.)

As for taking out the middleman, I guess I just don't see the service that Steam provides over EA in this instance (a strictly SP game).  I've used a bunch of different digital distribution options and can't say I've found Steam to be noticeably superior to anywhere else - though it is often noticeably more expensive, because publishers know they can get away with blatant profiteering on there and/or they need to cover Steam's larger than standard cut.  

We really don't know why this version isn't coming to Steam when it's readily available everywhere else.  What if Valve were demanding 50% of the proceeds - would it be ok for EA to tell them to fuck off then?  Or would EA still be the bad guy?
#11 Posted by Tennmuerti (8104 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" Steam is too big, which is why it's healthy that publishers incentivize buying directly from their own sites when they can.  The best way you can support PC gaming right now (not that the customer has a duty to do that, but if you want to) is to buy directly from the developer/publisher's own site when given the option.  They obviously have to sell less copies if they're taking ~100% of the proceeds than if they're taking ~70%.    I'd rather my money go to the company making the game than to Valve who, let's face it, for a game like Dragon Age are getting a substantial chunk of the sale price for doing very little actual work. "
Unfortunately Bioware/EA payment systems are kind of broken for a lot of people or simply not available. I was simply not able to buy any ME2 DLC from them digitally (or DA:O dlc) 
Steam works much smoother for a very wide range of regions.
#12 Edited by Wuddel (2092 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:

" @Jimbo said:

" Steam is too big, which is why it's healthy that publishers incentivize buying directly from their own sites when they can.  The best way you can support PC gaming right now (not that the customer has a duty to do that, but if you want to) is to buy directly from the developer/publisher's own site when given the option.  They obviously have to sell less copies if they're taking ~100% of the proceeds than if they're taking ~70%.    I'd rather my money go to the company making the game than to Valve who, let's face it, for a game like Dragon Age are getting a substantial chunk of the sale price for doing very little actual work. "
Unfortunately Bioware/EA payment systems are kind of broken for a lot of people or simply not available. I was simply not able to buy any ME2 DLC from them digitally (or DA:O dlc)  Steam works much smoother for a very wide range of regions. "
Oh yes this is very true. Basically all my DA:O DLC never worked. (I bought the game through steam.) Problem is that all these companys headquaters are somewhere in the US and they do not give a fuck about other regions, or people who move between countries. 

I can not even buy this game in Swiss Francs. Only in Euros. Also I can only add it to my online shopping chart after 11 pm. (because of "youth protection" laws).
#13 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

If they do the same thing with Mass Effect 3, I will be so pissed. Dragon Age I can deal with, but Mass Effect I've invested so much time into it, played ME2 5 times, and bought all the DLC. 

EA, you can't force people to buy your collectors edition off your crappy store, people will either:

-buy the game on Steam but pirate the DLC and everything that comes with the collectors edition

-buy a boxed collectors copy and end up with no steam integration

Rather than going through your crap store. That is not the way to do business, forcing people to go one way never works. 

tards.    

#14 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Wait, why is it that Impulse, Direct2 Drive, and Amazon has this, but not Steam? Well, actually I understand Amazon, but why not Steam? I know it can't be EA trying to get more people to buy from their store because the other download programs has the game. I'm beginning to think that EA and Valve has some beef with each other.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.