Sequel

#1 Posted by Dan64 (82 posts) -

Fallout 3 was a truer sequel to Fallout 2 than Dragon Age 2 was to Origins. 

Discuss. 

Also, food: 

#2 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I would eat any of that food.

#3 Posted by TwoLines (2795 posts) -

Bleh.

Both to that food and to your post.
X is better than Y. And let's not even acknowledge that Z is SOMEHOW connected to X.

#4 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" I would eat any of that food. "
#5 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

That DA2 burger looks tasty!

#6 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Is that jizz on the DA2 burger? I'll have to cut that part of it off.

#7 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -

Okay?

#8 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -

who cares, they're video games.

#9 Posted by Undeadpool (4923 posts) -

I actually say Fallout: New Vegas was the true successor to Fallout 2. 3 was fine, but it was too epic, too sterile, and too humorless. 

Dragon Age 2 is perfectly fine. I can't believe it's only been a year and people are already getting nostalgia-tinted lenses for DA: O. That game was great, but it had a laundry list of downsides as well. Downsides that people were screaming about riiiight up until DA2 was announced. Suddenly Origins is this perfect game and how DARE they change even one IOTA of it?

#10 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

so the baldurs gate series and dragon age series are delicious?

#11 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Mmm... now I'm hungry.

#12 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@nk19 said:
" who cares, they're video games. "
Some of it is food.
#13 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -

What kind of food is Mass Effect?

#14 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @nk19 said:
" who cares, they're video games. "
Some of it is food. "
eh, I prefer durgers.
#15 Posted by raidingkvatch (1151 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:
" I actually say Fallout: New Vegas was the true successor to Fallout 2. 3 was fine, but it was too epic, too sterile, and too humorless.  Dragon Age 2 is perfectly fine. I can't believe it's only been a year and people are already getting nostalgia-tinted lenses for DA: O. That game was great, but it had a laundry list of downsides as well. Downsides that people were screaming about riiiight up until DA2 was announced. Suddenly Origins is this perfect game and how DARE they change even one IOTA of it? "
This guy's right on the money!
#16 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Opinions, opinions... I wonder when the DA2 hate is going to stop. I guess when Witcher 2 and Skyrim fail too.

#17 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -
@phrosnite: Skyrim failing? Bah!
#18 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

It's still good for a False(?) Sequel. Also, if you want to discuss something like this, put forth a little more effort and explain yourself.

#19 Posted by Undeadpool (4923 posts) -
@raidingkvatch said:
" @Undeadpool said:
" I actually say Fallout: New Vegas was the true successor to Fallout 2. 3 was fine, but it was too epic, too sterile, and too humorless.  Dragon Age 2 is perfectly fine. I can't believe it's only been a year and people are already getting nostalgia-tinted lenses for DA: O. That game was great, but it had a laundry list of downsides as well. Downsides that people were screaming about riiiight up until DA2 was announced. Suddenly Origins is this perfect game and how DARE they change even one IOTA of it? "
This guy's right on the money! "
Well thankya. I swear, before this it was "Origins isn't enough like Baldur's Gate 2!" now "Dragon Age 2 isn't enough like Origins!" 

@phrosnite said:
" Opinions, opinions... I wonder when the DA2 hate is going to stop. I guess when Witcher 2 and Skyrim fail too. "
I doubt it for Witcher 2, it wasn't really well-known enough for enough fanboys to hate it/love it. Also your comment implies DA2 failed in some way. I don't see how, the reviews are about the same and the sales are on-track to break Origins'.
#20 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:

@phrosnite said:
" Opinions, opinions... I wonder when the DA2 hate is going to stop. I guess when Witcher 2 and Skyrim fail too. "
I doubt it for Witcher 2, it wasn't really well-known enough for enough fanboys to hate it/love it. Also your comment implies DA2 failed in some way. I don't see how, the reviews are about the same and the sales are on-track to break Origins'. "
Failed to please everybody. Some love it(I), some hate it.
#21 Posted by Undeadpool (4923 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" @Undeadpool said:

@phrosnite said:
I doubt it for Witcher 2, it wasn't really well-known enough for enough fanboys to hate it/love it. Also your comment implies DA2 failed in some way. I don't see how, the reviews are about the same and the sales are on-track to break Origins'. "
Failed to please everybody. Some love it(I), some hate it. "
Haw! True enough, but you could say that about any game...or anyTHING for that matter. As Alan Moore once put it: "Trying to please everyone will only offend people who don't like their entertainment as gray, flavorless, pre-chewed sludge."
#22 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

all of those look good

#23 Posted by BeachThunder (11829 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
" What kind of food is Mass Effect? "
Space burgers :o
#24 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
" @phrosnite: Skyrim failing? Bah! "
3+ Year dev cycle vs. 1 Year dev cycle. 

Yeah.
#25 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:
" Dragon Age 2 is perfectly fine. I can't believe it's only been a year and people are already getting nostalgia-tinted lenses for DA: O. That game was great, but it had a laundry list of downsides as well. Downsides that people were screaming about riiiight up until DA2 was announced. Suddenly Origins is this perfect game and how DARE they change even one IOTA of it? "
My feelings exactly. Why 2000 people thought it was necessary to down-vote it on Metacritic, I'll never know.
#26 Posted by raidingkvatch (1151 posts) -
@Undeadpool:  I think a lot of the negativty for DAII is about timing, Origins is still pretty fresh for alot of people so DAII would've had to be phenomanal to get them excited, whereas if it had come out 6 months+ later people would be about ready for another one.

That's not to say there isn't stuff that could've been done better, particularly the reusing of areas and assets, but clearly some people have a very skewed opinion which just doesn't seem to make sense, at least to me.
#27 Posted by Undeadpool (4923 posts) -
@raidingkvatch: I absolutely agree, the game's hardly perfect. But considering the tiny development time, it's pretty fucking phenomenal. Most games that come out a year later are just tiny iterations on the previous one, with this one they built a whole new game. Did they build it perfectly? No. The repetitious dungeons and anti-climactic ending are probably the biggest shows of that. 

As for the OP, I think you've unintentionally given a perfect visual metaphor: I love all those foods and would be happy to eat any of them, but if I only had to eat one? Even if it were the roast chicken or steak, it would get boring. I love steak, but I also love tearing into a burger, even a cheap one, every now and then.
#28 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:

Also your comment implies DA2 failed in some way. I don't see how, the reviews are about the same and the sales are on-track to break Origins'. "
Sales are set to break Origins? Sweet!  

I hadn't heard anything about the sales of DA2. 
#29 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
 I guess when Witcher 2 and Skyrim fail too. "
I lova ya Phros, but at the moment I'm assembling a mob and supplying them with the pitchforks (torches are for pre-orders only).  
#30 Edited by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -

Fuck no.

Fallout 3 for a lot of the fans of originals was like taking it out to the deep scary woods and then proceeding to repeatedly gang rape with no lube for a straight week, mixed up with beatings and occasinally taking a piss on the said francise, then they laugthed about it, sold the video on the internet,  made a ton of money, and then people praised them for it.
EDIT: I think that etaphor got away from me, it might also be the beer talking at this point.

DA2 is just a mediocre sequel to a decent game.

#31 Posted by omghisam (284 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:

For me, mods have fixed every niggling thing about DA:O. 
#32 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

I'd eat that Dragon age II burger. In fact I did and it was delicious. 
And after I was done I ordered a second burger. I'm currently eating it right now and its still awesome. 

This metaphor has gone on too long.  

#33 Posted by Undeadpool (4923 posts) -
@Unchained said:
" @Undeadpool said:

Also your comment implies DA2 failed in some way. I don't see how, the reviews are about the same and the sales are on-track to break Origins'. "
Sales are set to break Origins? Sweet!   I hadn't heard anything about the sales of DA2.  "
Sales are about matching the last game, but they haven't factored in digital downloads yet. Just goes to show: 10,000 whining/enthusiastic fanboys= ~ 1,000 realworld sales.
#34 Edited by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -
#35 Edited by Undeadpool (4923 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:

" @Undeadpool: source

Edit: also I hardly call the following review scoreson the same level 
http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/dragon+age/results "

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6678682/1  

Surpass maybe not, but it's looking like it's going to at least break the 1 million mark, which is about where DA: O left us.  

As for the review, it's within 10 points and still considered "Mostly positive." Unless you're talking about the user reviews, but those can't be factored in seeing as how they were massively trolled on day 1. 
#36 Edited by iKANNIBAL (601 posts) -

DA2 was lazy, i'll give you that. 

Fallout 3 was straight up the most boring game ive ever played though as is most Bethesda's games, Morrowind was good.

#37 Posted by NegativeCero (2995 posts) -
@iKANNIBAL said:
" DA2 was lazy, i'll give you that.  Fallout 3 was straight up the most boring game ive ever played though as is most Bethesda's games, Morrowind was good. "
I felt the opposite in that I really liked Fallout 3 but thought Morrowind was boring. But that was mostly because I was spoiled from playing Oblivion first. I couldn't go back to Morrowind after.
#38 Edited by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:

" @Tennmuerti said:

" @Undeadpool: source

Edit: also I hardly call the following review scoreson the same level 
http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/dragon+age/results "

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6678682/1   Surpass maybe not, but it's looking like it's going to at least break the 1 million mark, which is about where DA: O left us.  As for the review, it's within 10 points and still considered "Mostly positive." Unless you're talking about the user reviews, but those can't be factored in seeing as how they were massively trolled on day 1.  "
I am talking actual reviews.
You said : "the reviews are about the same"
They are not, an almost 10% average critics score difference on the scewed game review scale is nowhere near about the same.

The link you have provided is:

a) not a verifiable source at all, because -
b) vgchartz is a joke at this point
c) total sales of DA:O for the period provided in the link also do not account for digital sales (which make up most of PC, and PC crowd is where DA2 will suffer the most)
d) Even if you assume that  VGcharts has equally flawed measurements in all cases. Look at the first 2 week sales of 360 and PS3 of both games.
DA:O has a more steady sales graph, whereas DA2 sales are already slowing down faster then Origins sales. Meaning the sales are actually getting further away from DA:O total sales with every passing week.
e) DA:O left us a a 3.2 million mark in 10 weeks, by the same post you linked

In conlusion: reviews are lower and sales are lower.
Just goes to show: 10,000 whining/enthusiastic fanboys can kind of hurt you with word of mouth. (lower reviews helped too i'm not denying)
#39 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
Except those games have had about 3 years in development, not just over 1 year.  So at least they have a fighting chance.
#40 Posted by Undeadpool (4923 posts) -
@Tennmuerti: Yeah, I'm probably being overly optimistic (at least about the sales, but we'll see. And I still don't think that 9% is that big of a difference when you're talking ratings, particularly when it still ranks as "Green"), I just really want there to be a third game. I hear the fanboys baying for blood and praying for failure so that DA3 will be more like Origins. Now, while I'm not accusing you in particular of this, they seem to be completely ignorant to the fact that if DA2 fails, there probably won't BE a DA3 period. 
At the end of the day, all else being equal, I thought DA2 nailed the characters and had a much more organic party dynamic. I feel like it's a positive step for the series.
#41 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

NPD said they will take into account digital sales too. I can't wait for GT's Invisible Walls show and their NPD report. It should be at the end of april, right?

#42 Posted by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" NPD said they will take into account digital sales too. I can't wait for GT's Invisible Walls show and their NPD report. It should be at the end of april, right? "
It would be more interesting if we had an NPD report for Origins which also accounted for digtal sales.
Only figure we have to go by for DA:O is what Bioware themselves revealed at the time wich was 3.2 mil in first 10 weeks.
#43 Posted by hatebreeder (12 posts) -

The changes between fallout 2 and 3 were pretty large scale, which was for the better..... the evolution between Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas however........yeah they were basically the same game. 

Dragon Age was trying to cover a little too much for its own good perhaps, the console versions looked fucking Awful compared to the pc version, and the combat was tricky to manage on a controller at the harder difficulties. DA2 was obviously suited to consoles, which as far as im concerned; was the best move. I think it moved every part of the game play and development forward in some way or another. The narrative wasn't quite as strong though, which was a shame seeing as Hawke wasn't a mute. 

#44 Posted by Anund (881 posts) -

I loved Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. I loved Origins. And I love Dragon Age 2. My one gripe with the game is the reuse of environments. That is borderline offensive, it's not even remotely OK. However, the characters and their interactions were great, I enjoyed the story, including the ending and the combat was interesting and well done (though I really missed the tactical view, why remove that? Seems very arbitrary.) 

All in all: Great game, I can't wait for some DLC and then DA3 where I hope they listen to the criticism this game received. All they need to do is add more variety to the places you visit and I will forgive everything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.