Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

So hate to say it but.... I told you this game would be ass.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DG991

Everything I heard about this game up until its release told me it was going to turn out how it did. Which I take no pleasure in because the first game might be my favorite game ever made. I loved dragon age: O to death... Played through it 2 times, and played all the starting missions with the races to see how those turned out. I thought it was a perfect game and disagree with the people who said the combat wasn't fun. I never had issue with it. 

But about da2.
    Every time a news article or something about DA2 came up someone would post "Man... that doesn't look good" and then someone else would say "DON'T WORRY ITS BIOWARE ITS GONNA BE AWESOME!" I also still think the game was consolized but I do admit that wasn't the main reason it ended up being ass.

But yea I think it was obvious this game would be pretty bad. I also think the fact that the giantbomb crew didn't put an official review up for it is telling. i know they don't have to review everything but come on...
     I think it would be close to a 2 star game even if Vinny said he thinks 3 is appropriate but he had some odd attraction to this game that made him finish it.
    I could not get into this game at all for multiple reasons. My biggest gripe was I did not enjoy the camera controls one bit.

That being said... I am upset with how the game turned out because I was so engrossed with DA:o's story! Do you think they will ever put out a proper game to finish the story? 
    Honestly besides a few things I really don't know much about DA2's story.

And for those enjoying the game now despite all this, good for you and just ignore people like me. I just am mad at how bad it is compared to DA:O for me. 

Jwkokosmakroon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jwkokosmakroon

I don't get all the hate for this game... I've had plenty of fun and I think the way the story is set up is pretty gutsy and plays out nicely. 
    Except for the ending, that sucks :p

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I had way more fun with DA2 than DA:O. I really liked that the main character was voiced and thought the new way to make choices like in ME games was a great addition. Most of the story was neat too. The ending wasn't bad really, they just didn't really do a very good cliffhanger. It was left in a weird spot.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jack268

Do you think they will ever put out a proper game to finish the story? 

They're doing yearly releases, so nah, they'll keep milking until it's more dry than guitar hero.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By Chris2KLee

@InfiniteGeass said:

I had way more fun with DA2 than DA:O. I really liked that the main character was voiced and thought the new way to make choices like in ME games was a great addition. Most of the story was neat too. The ending wasn't bad really, they just didn't really do a very good cliffhanger. It was left in a weird spot.

Same, again like the OP said it's a matter of opinion. I found DA2 to be a smoother ride than DA1, which I took an extended break from before coming back to it. I think it could have used more time to stretch out some of the new systems, but overall I really enjoyed it. That said, I totally understand why those that really loved DA1 would be pretty angry at DA2.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By mazik765

I loved DA2.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By jacksmedulla

You never told me anything.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Your cognitive powers are impressive and that's why you're a millionaire with a beautiful wife who prevents disasters on a regular basis. Oh wait.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hunkulese

While it had problems it definitely wasn't ass. If you go into a game expecting it to suck it's pretty easy to dwell on the negative aspects. Origin had a ton of issues as well and if you had gone into it with the same negative attitude you probably wouldn't have enjoyed. It as much. Preconceived notions have a major influence on how much you enjoy a game.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By probablytuna

I agree with you when you said that every time there's a preview of the game, it felt like it was in this unpolished/prototype state and it still felt that way when I actually got my hands on it. The environments/characters weren't varied or detailed enough but I really enjoyed the combat, even more than I did with Dragon Age: Origins. Had it been given a few more months for artists to polish it up, it would be quite an impressive title. I hope this is a hard learnt lesson for EA and to not pressure Bioware into shipping a game that doesn't stand up to the Bioware quality (this might have influenced the decision in delaying Mass Effect 3).

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By probablytuna

I agree with you when you said that every time there's a preview of the game, it felt like it was in this unpolished/prototype state and it still felt that way when I actually got my hands on it. The environments/characters weren't varied or detailed enough but I really enjoyed the combat, even more than I did with Dragon Age: Origins. Had it been given a few more months for artists to polish it up, it would be quite an impressive title. I hope this is a hard learnt lesson for EA and to not pressure Bioware into shipping a game that doesn't stand up to the Bioware quality (this might have influenced the decision in delaying Mass Effect 3).

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I enjoyed the change to combat, but just about everything else turned me off, and I just couldn't finish it. I really tried too. It made me sad.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By phish09

So yeah...I hate to say it, but you were wrong. 

Dragon Age 2 wasn't a bad game.  It was certainly better than the first one, just not up to Mass Effect standards though...but pretty much no game is.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Kazona

I didn't enjoy DA2 as much as I did DA:O, but I had quite a bit of fun with it nonetheless. It was far from horrible. The only issues I had with it was that at a certain point it felt like I was being rushed towards the ending, and the ending itself was a big disappointment.

Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Soffish

I had a lot of problems with the second age of dragons, but I don't think that those problems were really all that apparent in the coverage leading up to its release.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SuperCycle

I absolutely loved both games. I thought they were great but each had it's own set of problems.  I really didn't like the combat from the first game and I didn't like that the Warden didn't speak, that said I loved the overall story and thought it was better than the second one, I also loved the map and the quests you had to do for each tribe. I thought the combat in the second one was awesome, I loved the rouge and the mage playing them made me feel like a badass. I got that they were trying to tell a more personal story, but didn't care for the way it was told with the flashbacks. I also didn't like the reusing of the environments or the last mission, mainly because no matter what you chose you had to fight both.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By asurastrike

I just started playing DA:O again and man...Origins is SO much better than DA2. The world in Origins felt so big, and like there was so much going on in it. DA2 felt confined, not only because it took place mostly within the walls of one city, but also because it reused environments more than any other game I've ever played. I would love to talk to someone at BioWare and just ask them "What happened?".

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ragdrazi

I loved DA:O. I am never going to get DA:2. The depth of choice missing from number 2 really leaves me uninterested.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Cornman89

Sounds like you don't hate saying it at all, really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed DA:2 but each to their own.

Henny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Henny

Consolification.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Henny said:
    Consolification.
    Exactly.

And a lot of people don't know better.
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SomeDeliCook

From what I gather, Dragon Age 2 is set in the same location throughout the entire game (if not most of it)

For some strange reason, that has me more interested than the first Dragon Age. I don't really like having to always explore a new location just to complete 1 quest, so for me travelling familiar locales would be a nice break for an RPG. Though I didn't like the combat based on the demo.

Henny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Henny
    @SomeDeliCook said:

From what I gather, Dragon Age 2 is set in the same location throughout the entire game (if not most of it)

For some strange reason, that has me more interested than the first Dragon Age. I don't really like having to always explore a new location just to complete 1 quest, so for me travelling familiar locales would be a nice break for an RPG. Though I didn't like the combat based on the demo.

When said area is unimaginatively realized and downright boringly populated by the umpteenth fetch quest, you will quickly find how short the mileage goes. But each to his/her own I guess. The combat in the game although initially I found to be quite exciting but ultimately shallow and flawed with things exploding left and right.  

Most people didn't seem to realize that Bioware is not infallible. They have made sub par games before albeit measured against higher standards set by their own.
    Etaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Etaber

I could call every new game that comes out "ass" and be right 50% of the time. Go to a game forum and post "I said this game would be ass and I was totally wrong" and I'll be impressed.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Etaber said:

I could call every new game that comes out "ass" and be right 50% of the time. Go to a game forum and post "I said this game would be ass and I was totally wrong" and I'll be impressed.

Yeah dude, but this was from a major developer like Bioware...BIOWARE... 

Anyway, i agree, but the worst aspect was the story imo. 

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By warxsnake

It's an ok game, if you don't mind sticking to the same locations over and over. It's obvious they only had a year to make it. 

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@warxsnake said:

It's an ok game, if you don't mind sticking to the same locations over and over. It's obvious they only had a year to make it.

I really didn't mind the same location. Just the re-used dungeons.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Aronman789

Any respect or interest I had in the DA series went away when I saw that they basically copy-pasted chunks of the story from the A Song of Ice and Fire books. 
    And of course they then added elves and dwarves, since everything fantasy these days has to have elves and dwarves. In the SOIAF books everyone is either human or basically extinct, why couldn't they have stolen that part?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.