Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

So.. I kinda wanna be a Qunari (will have spoilers from DA2)

• 50 results
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Catolf

No Caption Provided

Hear me out. The first game you get to choose your race which was nice (though we all know the 'hero' when you see them again is gunna just be a human XP And the next hero you were made to be a human, no choice so hay, You introduced the Qunari in the first game is just a weird looking black guy, then you overhauled them, so how about you let us play them?

I want to learn more about the Qun, more about how they treat their mages and more or less life in general, I'm completely bummed that you had to kill the arishok no matter what you did, (unless you just handed over Isabella but she still re-stole the book if you do that) I respected that guy but he's gone, but the Qunari got the book back and went 'home' where the hell is home and how can I get there?

Basically they introduced a new race and I want to be able in DA3 to pick them and not just be some human. And I don't know, make your choices you make in game actually make a difference! That would be nice.

What do you guy's think?

No Caption Provided

I assume they redid the race for something later on and not just that disappointing fight, maybe I'm the only one who have interest in the race? I was interested before and then the overhaul happen, so i wonder why but I'd like to learn more and not just have a camo in DA3 or some DL content of passing through, I'd want to be one, see how demanding the Qun actually was.

Also were the Dwarves done in DA: O? I wanna say no but I didn't get far in so I'm not sure? If not they should be included as an option as well.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I don't want to be one. But I wouldn't mind getting it on with one of the females, who I saw none of in DA2 as usual. What is it with Bioware and female "aliens"? Or actually getting to know one of the qunari in general. Even the ones that left the Qun weren't very social.
    Hopefully they'll remedy that by actually letting us visit their homeland in whatever next game comes out.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Catolf
    @PhatSeeJay:  If you could just 'get it on' with one it would be too much like mass effect for me, honestly..XP
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Catolf: I think it will never happen because Bioware is cutting out options from their games and trying to appeal to the mass market. Human protagonists from this point forward! (They're more "relatable".)  :(

It would be awesome to play as a Qunari, but it would take a lot of work since they have much different personalities and views than the other races and the reactions to the player character would be so different. They aren't willing to do that legwork anymore.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Catolf
    @Wrighteous86:  Gods I hope not.. At least give me the illusion of some choice.. I mean we all know they chose human for the first one, and male to boot as the hero, and we know they are going to have male hawk as the other, just let us have this one..
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really love the Qunari, and one of the (many) things I couldn't stand about Dragon Age II was that they were turned into stereotypical "evil" dudes at the end of the second act. I wanted to side with them. :[

Anyway, yes, I would enjoy being able to play as a Qunari in future games, even though DAII kind of killed my interest in the series. 
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Catolf:  Fair point but the Qunari don't seem much different from a human or elf aside from their heads sporting horns. It's not like they're monsters from an another planet or anything. They're just a warrior race.
    Also the getting it on thing is more a minor thing. Not having any females at all is starting to grow annoying. They just don't let you explore enough of the Qunari that is satisfying given how long they occupy the city.
    babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By babblinmule

I remember reading in an interview once that Bioware originally were going to let you play as a qunari in DA1 - even created an origins story and everything. But they cut it along with a few others (barbarian and human commoner I believe).

___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ___pocalypse
    @PhatSeeJay said:

" I don't want to be one. But I mind getting it on with one of the females, who I saw none of in DA2 as usual. What is it with Bioware and female "aliens"? Or actually getting to know one of the qunari in general. Even the ones that left the Qun weren't very social. Hopefully they'll remedy that by actually letting us visit their homeland in whatever next game comes out. "

There has been some controversy (at least in one community) about some comments about female turians from ME here: http://masseffect.livejournal.com/951253.html

"We usually try to avoid the females -- cause what do you do with a female turian? Add breasts, what do you do? Add lipstick on her?" which is totally lame. They actually went through the process of making a female Qunari, so it's lame they didn't bother to make a model to show up at all. It seems like if the female Qunari held political positions as well as other none warrior positions in their society (which I believe is stated somewhere in the codex, I could be mistaken) they would bring at least ONE along for diplomatic reasons you know?

To the OP: yeah, I think it would be neat for them to be a playable race. My coworker said that if they did a DA3 and didn't continue with Hawke, she would love if we could choose our race again. I definitely agree.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

The qunari are based on the ottoman empire according to dragon age wikia...fuck the qunari. 

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @___pocalypse said:
    " @PhatSeeJay said:

" I don't want to be one. But I mind getting it on with one of the females, who I saw none of in DA2 as usual. What is it with Bioware and female "aliens"? Or actually getting to know one of the qunari in general. Even the ones that left the Qun weren't very social. Hopefully they'll remedy that by actually letting us visit their homeland in whatever next game comes out. "

There has been some controversy (at least in one community) about some comments about female turians from ME here: http://masseffect.livejournal.com/951253.html

"We usually try to avoid the females -- cause what do you do with a female turian? Add breasts, what do you do? Add lipstick on her?" which is totally lame. They actually went through the process of making a female Qunari, so it's lame they didn't bother to make a model to show up at all. It seems like if the female Qunari held political positions as well as other none warrior positions in their society (which I believe is stated somewhere in the codex, I could be mistaken) they would bring at least ONE along for diplomatic reasons you know?

To the OP: yeah, I think it would be neat for them to be a playable race. My coworker said that if they did a DA3 and didn't continue with Hawke, she would love if we could choose our race again. I definitely agree.
    "
    Yes I know about that. Just becomes an even bigger reason why they should try their hardest to make it work. They went through such lengths to justify the Asari and their gender so why should turians or krogan be different? They have to figure that out some day if they wish to expand the universe.

And yes. If they even posted a picture of the Qunari, why the hell not a render? She looks brutal and awesome! Maybe some more grime and scarring to her to emphasize of her race, but she looks great overall. Also this whole political ambassadors bs gets old as well. Klingon females for the love of! Don't see them wasting time on negotiations! :P
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By SlightConfuse

Being a qunari seems like it would not be fun unless you betrayed the qun. Mages are not accepted and a rouge would not make sense but, Remember the qunari accept vidiharri(converts to the qun ) so there is that.

Also another option is a game set to the terventer-qunari war.

The qunari come from par vollen which is a island in northan thedas. It is rummered that they came from out east but got stuck on the island, might be why there are no women qunari shown

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Jimbo

I agree, or they should at least have the story focus on them.  I thought DA 2 should have focused on a Qunari invasion and now I think DA 3 should (and it would make sense for them to do so given how DA2 ends up).  They have a relatively interesting philosophy and at least make for enemies (or allies) with believable motivations, rather than the first two games which ultimately came down to 'mindless evil made it happen'.

If they must have a human protaganist, they could still be a part of the Qun (parts of Rivain follow the Qun).  Then have you get caught up in the invasion and be conflicted about which side you should be supporting, your race or your religion.

___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ___pocalypse
    @PhatSeeJay: I was initially really excited when I saw the Qunari female concept art, because they do look really great. As I was playing through the game I realized they weren't going to show any female Qunari, and I was bummed about it. I don't really understand why Bioware has been choosing to be so lazy about the female models since it's obvious at this point that fans really want to see them. 

There was speculation that Flemeth's DA2 model was supposed to be a female Qunari, but who knows if that was Bioware's intention.

It's totally silly to put the female Qunari only in the boring non combat positions because it seems like they'd be pretty dang sturdy regardless of their gender. Someday Bioware will learn ><
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Catolf
    @PhatSeeJay said:

" @Catolf:  Fair point but the Qunari don't seem much different from a human or elf aside from their heads sporting horns. It's not like they're monsters from an another planet or anything. They're just a warrior race. Also the getting it on thing is more a minor thing. Not having any females at all is starting to grow annoying. They just don't let you explore enough of the Qunari that is satisfying given how long they occupy the city. "

I know, I just like their takes more or less wanting to learn more about their religion, the Qun. The arishok made a point that he was kinda defying the Qun by still staying in Kirkwall in order to get what was stolen back on his watch. I'd like to see how they get a new Arishok how they handle things all together...

Anymore bioware seems to make things malecentric and the females are usually just involved to be something to look at XP

@___pocalypse said:

" @PhatSeeJay: I was initially really excited when I saw the Qunari female concept art, because they do look really great. As I was playing through the game I realized they weren't going to show any female Qunari, and I was bummed about it. I don't really understand why Bioware has been choosing to be so lazy about the female models since it's obvious at this point that fans really want to see them. 

There was speculation that Flemeth's DA2 model was supposed to be a female Qunari, but who knows if that was Bioware's intention.

It's totally silly to put the female Qunari only in the boring non combat positions because it seems like they'd be pretty dang sturdy regardless of their gender. Someday Bioware will learn ><
    "

I could defiantly believe that about Flemeth, I'm wondering why the label the females as such when the males are demanded by the Qun to be warriors or die..(CHOICES!) so.. are the ladies.. housewives or die? XP

Whats the point in drawing out the females if you aren't going to bother including them, you could have said they were a male only race or something XP

@Jimbo said:
    " I agree, or they should at least have the story focus on them.  I thought DA 2 should have focused on a Qunari invasion and now I think DA 3 should (and it would make sense for them to do so given how DA2 ends up).  They have a relatively interesting philosophy and at least make for enemies (or allies) with believable motivations, rather than the first two games which ultimately came down to 'mindless evil made it happen'.If they must have a human protaganist, they could still be a part of the Qun (parts of Rivain follow the Qun).  Then have you get caught up in the invasion and be conflicted about which side you should be supporting, your race or your religion. "

This is what I would want! Even if you couldn't be them, to be integrated into the Qun would be great sense the Qun holds no ties to race and only those willing to follow (says the Arishok)
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

I'd be grateful if they just let me create a Dwarf protagonist again. =/

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Daveyo520

lol

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Yummylee
    @Jimbo said: 

" If they must have a human protaganist, they could still be a part of the Qun (parts of Rivain follow the Qun).  Then have you get caught up in the invasion and be conflicted about which side you should be supporting, your race or your religion. "

That'd be neat, though it wouldn't matter because in the end you'd most likely have to kill the leader on both sides of the conflicts through ridiculous and unintelligible reasons anywhoo ;P
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Catolf
    @Abyssfull:  that just depressed me ;_;
    blackfire83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blackfire83

Qunari-based DLC , please.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Catolf
    @blackfire83 said:
    " Qunari-based DLC , please. "
    Yes please.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ttocs

To the guy who said he wants to get it on with a female Qunari...I'm pretty sure they'd break you in two.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By valrog

I was pretty disappointed that there was no Qunari Companion in Dragon Age II. Especially now that we've seen their mages and their different appearance and all. One disappointment after another.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By animateria
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Wait, you guys are mad that Dragon Age II didn't offer enough choices, and so you want to be a qunari, who follows a book that describes how to act for every moment of your life?  Playing a qunari is the most linear game possible.  If you think the inventory choices were bad Dragon Age II, grab this game where the Qun dictates exactly what you should wear and how you should wear it.  Didn't think Hawke had meaningful dialogue choices, play a qunari, where your interactions are already defined for you by the Qun.

I also like the guy who said that Dragon Age II 'forced' the qunari to be the bad guys.  No, the Qun forced them to be the bad guys.  Sten wouldn't have done anything differently, because all through Dragon Age Origins, he wasn't a person, but a representation of the demands of the Qun.  Just like all qunari.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By valrog
    @Brodehouse:  Not everyone follows the Qun to the letter. What about the Qunari on The Wounded Coast (Tal-Vashoth they were called I think)?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@valrog:  Tal-Vashoth are not qunari.  They are of the same race, but the word qunari means 'follower of the Qun' and thus can apply to humans and elves as much as large horned men.  And no, I wouldn't have a problem with a Tal-Vashoth being a companion, and seeing them struggle with breaking the dogma they centered their lives around.  Perhaps by the end they would 'forgive' themselves, and cease to Tal-Vashoth, and merely be another person in Thedas.

But playing a qunari is impossible, unless it's just a fun hack-and-slash beat'em up.  The arishok says go to the right and punch barrels until meat pops out, and so you do.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By valrog
    @Brodehouse:  Sorry for creating confusion, but that's what I meant. I just couldn't find the word that would describe those creatures, so I guess Qunari will have to do, for the lack of an actual name for their race. Most people just call them Qunari, though.

To clarify, I would like to see one of those as a Companion.

No Caption Provided
    TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#29  Edited By TerraMantis

@catolf

I agree. I think the reason i liked Origins so much more, really, is because you were really learning so much about the nuances of this new Dragon Age universe. Which is why the second chapter of DA2 is really my favorite part of the game. It is really the only part of the game where you're learning something new about the universe of DA and the societies that inhabit it. Which is the Qun.
    For all intensive purposes they DID change the Qunari from DA: O to DA2, but if you actually look into it Sten was an exception. Every so often Qunari are born looking with very human-like features. Instead of being, like most cultures would be like if someone was different, an outcast within his culture Sten's birth "abnormality" is actually seen as being quite the honor. Also, the Qunari that are born looking in such a way are usually...like an ambassador of sorts. That is why the look of the "normal" Qunari, that appear DA2, are never seen in DA: O. Sten is far away from his homeland playing this roll of ambassador. Which he then loses his sword somehow...dont remember, but is then honor bound to recover his item, just like the Arishok in Kirkwall.

As for being able to pick them as a playable race...probably not going to happen, would love it, but doubtfully so. If anything the Qun are going to most likely be taking the place of the Darkspawn roll in DA3. They'll most likely be the invading army you are preparing to defend against.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By valrog
    @TerraMantis:  That's a poor explanation why every single Qunari in Origins looked like human.
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aronman789

Me and the Qunari both have the same personality and I actually like and agree with the Qun.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#32  Edited By TerraMantis

@valrog

uuuummm....i thought Sten was the only Qunari in DA:O. Also, it is not MY reason for the Qunari looking like Hercule-humans in DA:O...it is the writer and creator of the DA universe reason for it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Qunari became mighty interesting, was a lot more interested in their story and religion then in Hawke's entire rise to 'fame'.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By valrog
    @TerraMantis:  What about the Qunari Mercenaries throughout the game? I remember encountering them during The Urn of Sacred Ashes quest, and they all looked like humans. But it doesn't matter, I like the new version of them.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chrissedoff
    @ttocs: qunari females aren't warriors, dumbass
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ghostiet
    @PhatSeeJay said:

" I don't want to be one. But I wouldn't mind getting it on with one of the females, who I saw none of in DA2 as usual. "

If Sten is to be believed, getting on with a Qunari is hardly pleasant.

@valrog said:

" @TerraMantis:  That's a poor explanation why every single Qunari in Origins looked like human. "
    A poor explanation of the Sten problem would be giving him horns suddenly in the next game he appears in. BioWare managed to turn a technical limitation into a plot point, that ain't bad.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Quacktastic

You're probably never going to get to chose your race as long as they stick with recorded dialogue.  If they go back to text, anything is possible, but I doubt they will.  They didn't even have time to model female qunari (or dwarves) this time.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By ReyGitano
    @Catolf: Given the choice, I would totally want to at least try being a Qunari. It seems like people and the story would revolve very differently around you. If not, at least I hope to see another Qunari in my party now that they've done the redesign. Maybe a female, cause yeah, that's how I roll.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39  Edited By ttocs
    @chrissedoff said:
    " @ttocs: qunari females aren't warriors, dumbass "
    Yeah, I don't think it matters...dumbass.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Yummylee
    @Quacktastic said:
    " You're probably never going to get to chose your race as long as they stick with recorded dialogue.  If they go back to text, anything is possible, but I doubt they will.  They didn't even have time to model female qunari (or dwarves) this time. "
    Holy fuck you're right! I only just realised there were no female Dwarves in DA2 O_o
    newerher3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By newerher3
    No Caption Provided

Well I also want to be a female Qunari (Kossith) I am so in love with them. I wanna know everything about them, and the easiest way is to become one, right? I hope you get to chose between these races.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By smcn

@newerher3: Given the nature of DA3's story -- which wasn't known in 2011 when this thread was created -- a qunari player character is out of the question. There could still be a choice between the other three races, but the voice work required might be too cost prohibitive. The game will be shown at E3 next month so we'll find out soon enough.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hunter5024

Even if I doubt they'll ever bring back multi race origins, I'd still love to have another Qunari party member. Sten was my favorite, and I'd love to see a Tal Vashoth now.

newerher3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smcn Thanks for the information. Even though it sucks to be unable to play a qunari.

And as @hunter5024 Said, i'd love to have aTal-vashoth as a teem mate.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smcn said:

@newerher3: Given the nature of DA3's story -- which wasn't known in 2011 when this thread was created -- a qunari player character is out of the question. There could still be a choice between the other three races, but the voice work required might be too cost prohibitive. The game will be shown at E3 next month so we'll find out soon enough.

Looks like I couldn't have been more wrong. Though I suppose there are no shades of wrong when you're talking about a yes/no question.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@soapy86 said:

I really love the Qunari, and one of the (many) things I couldn't stand about Dragon Age II was that they were turned into stereotypical "evil" dudes at the end of the second act. I wanted to side with them. :[

Anyway, yes, I would enjoy being able to play as a Qunari in future games, even though DAII kind of killed my interest in the series.

I wouldn't call them EVIL. Just heavily misunderstood. They followed a very disciplinary culture which made their outlook of ours blasphemous. They didn't mind early on, but once you start coinciding in a society that follows powerfully different virtues from yours for years on end, in which case is discipline and war, you're going to expect some violent culture shock as a result.

Loading Video...

This decently long video should change your mind a little bit about DA2, if it has remained to be negative.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also like the guy who said that Dragon Age II 'forced' the qunari to be the bad guys. No, the Qun forced them to be the bad guys. Sten wouldn't have done anything differently, because all through Dragon Age Origins, he wasn't a person, but a representation of the demands of the Qun. Just like all qunari.

Hey now, the man loved cookies.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hunter5024

Fun Fact: One time I nearly got my ass kicked for saying "Fuck the Qun" while discussing Dragon Age with my buddies at school. True story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.