Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Speak badly about Bioware? "We'll just take your games away, thx"

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#201  Edited By mutha3

smh @ some of the corporate cheerleaders here.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#202  Edited By tmthomsen

Morons. Both the banner and the banned.

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#203  Edited By mattbosten

Looking at at at face value it seems (From what we know) the guy got treated like a dick for being a dick, and in that sense a forum ban is fine. Spreading that ban to a completely separate medium is rather dodgy in my eyes whatever the term. If I left a comment on Amazon stating that I thought an artist had sold out (Not that I would, just an easy example) I wouldn't expect the music I own for that artist to be disabled for any period of time. 

In regards to the legality of the EULA; it's very much up in the air and there are cases that favour each side, because once something is purchased and removed from shrink wrap there is virtually no chance of a refund with most retailers and this can be done before actually seeing a EULA, let alone agreeing to one. The only real solution to this would be you being offered the opportunity to see the EULA before paying. However, I doubt this would ever happen. 

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#204  Edited By DrRandle

First of all, I'm willing to be there's more to the story and he's just trying to get a sympathy vote. 

Second of all, I say good. I'm sick and tired of gamers being complete, unrepentant assholes to the companies that make the games. If you don't like shit, get out. The people that work for Bioware and EA are just that, they're people too, and having some complete stranger walk up to you and insult you like that is fucking disgusting. This would be the equivalent of being walked up to on the street and asked how it felt fucking your own mother. It's called common decency, and if you have a problem with the game, drum up some constructive criticism, don't just be an asshole about it.

I say people who are assholes deserve whatever happens to 'em. No two ways around it.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#205  Edited By FateOfNever

All right, color me curious, would people be freaking out if this didn't affect his ability to play the single player aspect of a game/all bioware/ea games, but instead only affected the multiplayer aspects?  Or would you feel that it's just as bad and still should be beyond their rights so long as he didn't do something in game?  That something being undetermined at this point - it could be as little as he claims he's done, or far, far worse skirting the bounds of illegal activity on the forums, doesn't matter. 

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#206  Edited By sixpin

If you want to say whatever you want about a specific company without fear of retaliation, might I suggest not spewing hateful opinions and insults on the forum that said company owns. He got what was coming to him for being an idiot. Internet tough-guys are far too rampant. He said something out of line in a very rude manner - there are consequences for his actions. Hopefully he learned something from this, but I doubt it. If it was a permanent ban from his account I would think worse of EA/BioWare, but since it is just a 72 hour ban I guess he should learn some common sense.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Meowshi
    @I_smell said:
    " lol fuck that guy, what was he even thinking?  They're Bioware; they make the games, EA does the marketting, if you come right up on their doorstep n say "Hey guess what you all suck" then they're totally ALLOWED to slap you in the face. It's like if someone blocked you from Twitter for bein a huge dick, except it's way funnier.  If he would've said "yo Bioware are gay I hate them" on ANY other forum, then that's nothin anyone should care about. But it's the fact that he signed up to BIOWARE's forum and got right up in the faces of the guys who spent years sleepin under desks goin crazy on the game n tried to be all EPIC WIN up in there- he totally deserves it. "
    No, you moron.  Just no.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#208  Edited By blueduck
    @DrRandle said:
    " First of all, I'm willing to be there's more to the story and he's just trying to get a sympathy vote.   Second of all, I say good. I'm sick and tired of gamers being complete, unrepentant assholes to the companies that make the games. If you don't like shit, get out. The people that work for Bioware and EA are just that, they're people too, and having some complete stranger walk up to you and insult you like that is fucking disgusting. This would be the equivalent of being walked up to on the street and asked how it felt fucking your own mother. It's called common decency, and if you have a problem with the game, drum up some constructive criticism, don't just be an asshole about it.  I say people who are assholes deserve whatever happens to 'em. No two ways around it. "
    I LOL'ed 
    PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By PokeIkzai

This whole DA2 debacle with Bioware has made me really lose faith. There have been polite criticisms on the boards that have been closed, users getting banned, and all that meanwhile topics that praise DA2 and never mention a flaw stay open. I hate it when people can't take criticism and think that constructive criticism is only a positive thing.

Lukaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Lukaz

That sucks.

Lukaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Lukaz

That sucks

Avatar image for deactivated-5c468a9482ba9
    deactivated-5c468a9482ba9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This week in Satanism in business~

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#213  Edited By xMP44x

This is quite depressing really. It's a worrying trend for gamers, as first we had On-Disc DLC, whereupon you pay your £40 / $60 for some of the content on the disc, and then pay some more for the rest of the game. Now we're at the point where you play the game how you're told, and you enjoy it, or you don't play it at all. I'll remember not to voice any opinion that may go against what BioWare want to hear upon their forums. They shouldn't be able to stop you playing a game you paid for, unless you're ruining the online experience for others. Nice move, BioWare. I'll have to be careful to enjoy Dragon Age II in the manner I am told to, should I ever play it.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By TheHBK

Makes me lose hope for the Old Republic.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#215  Edited By Skald
    @PokeIkzai said:
    " This whole DA2 debacle with Bioware has made me really lose faith. There have been polite criticisms on the boards that have been closed, users getting banned, and all that meanwhile topics that praise DA2 and never mention a flaw stay open. I hate it when people can't take criticism and think that constructive criticism is only a positive thing. "
    I'm all for free speech, but just for a second, pretend you work at Bioware as a coder/artist/writer/whatever. You have all these user reviews and topics on your own site where people bash the game, calling it dumbed down, inferior to the first, saying the company you work for is greedy, etc. At this point, you've probably spent around eight hours a day for the last year working on this game, (or however long it takes to make a game- it's not a quick process though) having to mind a strict deadline. You probably felt pretty good about the product you put out, but instead, you have a bunch of random internet people acting like, or perhaps even claiming, that they could do better. The first couple of times, you could probably take it in stride, but when people start to take it as a given that you don't know how to make a game, when people start to call you out for being greedy, several times every single day, it'd be by some miracle of God if you didn't start to get the least bit upset. 

I think the guy deserved a we got. It's not very long, and if he couldn't access his game as soon as he got it, I guess it's something he should have thought about before he made some innocuous comment. I know what it's like to do good work and not be appreciated, so I'm going to have to go with EA/Bioware on this one. You want to know why almost all of the big money games out there are derivative and familiar? It's shit like this. Dragon Age II is a great game, but hardly anyone recognizes it for what it did right compared to the amount of people who slam it for what it did slightly worse than it's predecessor.  

Sorry if I went off on a tangent there. Point being, developers aren't robots. Sure, if we have something valid to call them on, we should do it, but we shouldn't just repeat "Dragon Age II is dumbed down" like it's some kind of mantra, especially on their own site, and especially if we can't be bothered to back it up.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#216  Edited By Slaker117
    @extremeradical:  I'm sorry but that's a really lame justification. Getting your feelings hurt shouldn't entitle you to prevent access to a commercail product. Saying "someone worked really hard on this and if you don't appreciate that, we'll take it away" doesn't fly when you still payed money for it. Their compensation is their pay check.

It's a sleazy move no matter what the dude said. They have the right to do it, but they shouldn't. Both sides are dicks.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5de441812a230
    deactivated-5de441812a230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LOVE this. Smart-ass had it coming to him! 

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#218  Edited By KowalskiManDown

That user is an idiot. If you're going to make dumb statements like that, then do it on a forum unaffiliated with the company you're insulting. 

That's like going into a bar, insulting all the managerial staff, and then expecting to get served a drink.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By fishmicmuffin
    @creamypies said:
    " That user is an idiot. If you're going to make dumb statements like that, then do it on a forum unaffiliated with the company you're insulting.  That's like going into a bar, insulting all the managerial staff, and then expecting to get served a drink. "
    Sounds about right to me. And it wasn't just an insult, it was an extremely vulgar one at that. 
    vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#220  Edited By vendetta

Doesn't matter if somebody's an idiot or a troll. It's bad business to prevent your product -- which has already been purchased by the consumer -- from being used because you get butt-hurt at a fringe activity they've taken like a message forum post. BioWare/EA deserves this to blow up in their faces. Hopefully one of the 2 or 3 actual journalists who exist in the gaming industry will write something up about this for mass consumption.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#221  Edited By Skald
    @Slaker117: It doesn't completely justify it, but I think it makes sense. If you want to bash something, the official site probably isn't a very good place to do it, because those people will care what you say about it. They've probably become pretty attached to it over the course of it's development. 

I would hope that going forward they could figure out how to ban people on the forum level without touching their game privileges though, because even if it was only for a few days, that's still kind of shady.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By haggis

The entire story smells like bullshit to me. Stories pop up like this every once in a while, and they almost always turn out to be wrong, and the "wronged" party usually ends up admitting to exaggeration or, worse, outright fabrication. But hey, let's not let facts get in the way of hating on one of the best game developers out there. Sheesh.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Nottle

Sure am glad there is this sweet Ser Isaac Clarke armor exclusive for buying EA's Dead Space 2 to keep my mind off of this whole is Ea/Bioware selling out debacle.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By mutha3
    @fishmicmuffin said:
    " @creamypies said:
    " That user is an idiot. If you're going to make dumb statements like that, then do it on a forum unaffiliated with the company you're insulting.  That's like going into a bar, insulting all the managerial staff, and then expecting to get served a drink. "
    Sounds about right to me. And it wasn't just an insult, it was an extremely vulgar one at that.  "
    I refuse to believe you people even read what the guy said.
    Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By MightyMayorMike
    @dungbootle said:
    " That is fucking awful no matter how dickish the user was acting. "
    I agree. Ban/timeout and take away their ability to post more dickish shit, sure, but ban them from purchased DLC? Crazy.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#226  Edited By Jimbo

It wasn't even that trolly.  "Have you sold your souls to the EA devil?" is a rather succinct way of asking whether Bioware is suffering under EA's ownership.  This seems like a perfectly legitimate question to ask (and he shouldn't be alone in asking it), especially of a studio that's just taken their most successful game ever and turned around a sequel in about 15 months.

He isn't 'in their house' asking it either, he's a paying customer asking it on a customer forum - he shouldn't have to go to some third party site to ask a tough and pointed question just in case they get upset about it and take away his ability to play his games.  Just because we're used to the gaming press being a pushover and piss scared to ever ask the industry a tough question about anything, that doesn't mean customers should feel obliged to behave as subserviently.  Customers become frustrated because the press is unprepared to ask these questions for them - customers keep this whole show on the road and yet they have no voice.  It seems more and more that the only way to be heard is to speak as bluntly as possible (there's plenty of evidence of this even on Giant Bomb), which is why, even though this same question could easily have been worded more politely, doing so would have been completely counterproductive.  If you want an answer anymore, you basically have to call somebody a cunt and then ask the question.

The industry still works for the gamer, not the other way around, and the industry would do well to remember it.  The people they're pissing off unnecessarily with dick moves like this are the same people that got them here in the first place, and they're the same people that will see them through the tough times if/when the fair-weather gamers get distracted by the next shiny thing that catches their eye.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@GalacticPunt said:
    " This is going to be a class five shit-storm in the gaming press, and a well-deserved one if true.  Picture a future where you play The Old Republic for a year, get grouchy about something, then talk trash about EA on the forums.  Under their terms of service, Bioware will delete your endgame character and render your PC DVD into a beer coaster. "
    Maybe you haven't talked shit to a Warcraft GM before.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Demyx

I understand being banned from forums and stuff, or if an online game from the online portion. Other than that, I don't think this is right.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#229  Edited By buft
    @Interfect said:
    " I wonder how Commander Shepard would feel about all this. "  

he's commander shepard and this is his favourite story on the internet
    Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Chop

Heh...I honestly love this. I'm sure there is more to the story but even if there isn't; I support EA/Bioware whatever against their battle with trolls. Trolls make the internet worse for everyone and anything that trolls them back is cool in my books.  

Avatar image for delicious_brains
    Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chop said:
    " Heh...I honestly love this. I'm sure there is more to the story but even if there isn't; I support EA/Bioware whatever against their battle with trolls. Trolls make the internet worse for everyone and anything that trolls them back is cool in my books.   "
    Wouldn't even say it was trolling, more of a passing comment (never did like the whole EA/Bioware thing anyway). Also, I really don't like that Woo guy on those forums.
    Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Arbie

Somebody woke up with their God shoes on!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By CL60
    @Lautaro said:

" @EvilTwin said:

" @CL60:  Because nothing you say on an internet forum should have any bearing on being able to play a single-player game that you purchased legally. "

Pretty much sums it up. "
    But he can still play, he just has to make a new account..because you can't activate a game on a banned account.. that or wait the 72 hours. This is my point. His account got banned. Why should he be able to activate games on it? The way Biowares activation works is with your EA account, same with any Bioware game. If this happened with Origins, we would've had the same situation. But at that time nobody was stupid enough to complain about not being able to activate games on their banned account. 

He could just make a new account and activate it. It's not like he activated it then they took it away from him like most of this board apparently thinks.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#234  Edited By Animasta
    @CL60 said:
    " @Lautaro said:
    " @EvilTwin said:
    " @CL60:  Because nothing you say on an internet forum should have any bearing on being able to play a single-player game that you purchased legally. "
    But he can still play, he just has to make a new account..because you can't activate a game on a banned account.. that or wait the 72 hours. "
    no he can't, he bought it from the EA download store, so it's linked with his account already.
    SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By SpicyRichter
    @DrPockets000 said:
    " Owned. 

Logically, if he hates Bioware he wouldn't care if he lost access to his game, amirite? "
    I hate Microsoft but still use Windows
    Sometimes there's no choice

Unless what he was saying was overtly racist or he was threatening someone with violence, you should be able to post your opinions regardless of who it's directed at. Taking away their game because of it is a dangerous line to walk for EA. Talk about draconian
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By CL60
    @Laketown said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Lautaro said:

" @EvilTwin said:

But he can still play, he just has to make a new account..because you can't activate a game on a banned account.. that or wait the 72 hours. "
    no he can't, he bought it from the EA download store, so it's linked with his account already. "
    Where did he say that? All he said in his original post was 

" This is the deal. I just got my Bioware Signature Edition from the store." 

Are you assuming by "the store" he meant the EA download store. Because the store could mean anywhere. Regardless. He trolled, and had his account banned. Same would have happened with any Bioware game. This isn't new..
    SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By SpicyRichter
    @TheKramer89 said:
    " @I_smell said:
    "lol fuck that guy, what was he even thinking?  They're Bioware; they make the games, EA does the marketting, if you come right up on their doorstep n say "Hey guess what you all suck" then they're totally ALLOWED to slap you in the face. It's like if someone blocked you from Twitter for bein a huge dick, except it's way funnier.  If he would've said "yo Bioware are gay I hate them" on ANY other forum, then that's nothin anyone should care about. But it's the fact that he signed up to BIOWARE's forum and got right up in the faces of the guys who spent years sleepin under desks goin crazy on the game n tried to be all EPIC WIN up in there- he totally deserves it. "
    i gotta agree with this guy. assholes need to be dealt with. he was being a prick and he got dealt with. yeah, it was harsh, but he shouldn't be that upset, 'cause "the game sucked" anyway. why would he even want to play it if he hates it so much. fucking loser. i'd slap him in the face too. "
    Is it your dream to live in a Fascist society, where anyone who speaks out against those in power are exiled? We live in a democracy, and the more that people accept this kind of behavior from anyone, the closer we get to having the Gustavo kidnap your outspoken younger brother.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By CL60
    @SpicyRichter said:

" @TheKramer89 said:

" @I_smell said:
    "lol fuck that guy, what was he even thinking?  They're Bioware; they make the games, EA does the marketting, if you come right up on their doorstep n say "Hey guess what you all suck" then they're totally ALLOWED to slap you in the face. It's like if someone blocked you from Twitter for bein a huge dick, except it's way funnier.  If he would've said "yo Bioware are gay I hate them" on ANY other forum, then that's nothin anyone should care about. But it's the fact that he signed up to BIOWARE's forum and got right up in the faces of the guys who spent years sleepin under desks goin crazy on the game n tried to be all EPIC WIN up in there- he totally deserves it. "
    i gotta agree with this guy. assholes need to be dealt with. he was being a prick and he got dealt with. yeah, it was harsh, but he shouldn't be that upset, 'cause "the game sucked" anyway. why would he even want to play it if he hates it so much. fucking loser. i'd slap him in the face too. "
    Is it your dream to live in a Fascist society, where anyone who speaks out against those in power are exiled? We live in a democracy, and the more that people accept this kind of behavior from anyone, the closer we get to having the Gustavo kidnap your outspoken younger brother. "
    He got banned for 72 hours, and this would have happened with any PC Bioware game, why is it an issue now, and probably has happened. Others just weren't stupid enough to complain about not being to use account based online activation with a banned account.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I think Bioware should send someone over to his house and take care of matters in a more personal way. Kill his dog or something.

That'll learn 'em. I mean it's kinda like prison. They took his game away, and now he's going to be an even bigger troll and will start this grand internet petition to try and take it to the man. I say fuck him up for life, and give him a good beating just to drive the message home.

Then as he's laying bloodied and beaten on the ground, they can toss him a boxed version of the game telling him to fuck off. The kid (or grown man) barely able to move finally gets to play his game, crawls up to his computer chair and begins installation. 

The Bioware guys are out front waiting. 

Done! He clicks the launcher icon...

Give our regards to our
     Give our regards to our "boss" ya prick
    I bet people would start reading those EULAs now.
    SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By SpicyRichter

Getting banned from a public forum for complaining about something is one thing, already a pretty bad thing. People are allowed to voice their opinions no matter what, unless they are litigious, this is why democratic countrys have protest laws that ALLOW this kind of thing.

But preventing someone from actually using a product or service they paid their money for because of said protest? Ridiculous!

If people become too afraid to speak up against things they don't agree with, the system breaks down and we are no longer part of a democracy. This kind of thing silences the peoples voice.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Silver-Streak

While I think the /possible/ ramifications of this are worth considering, in this instance, I think people aren't fully understanding the situation. 

If the game was already activated, for the most part, he'd be able to play even after the ban. Apparently this ban doesn't ban you from running the game or already owned DLC, but it does stop you from activating any content, whether that content be buying new DLC, or activating a full retail release. 

Since he was already banned before he tried to activate, he couldn't activate the game.  

Honestly, I know everyone hates the idea of not owning the software they purchase, but the idea here is potentially good in the big picture. Imagine if someone is caught hacking on an EA online game that is linked with their EA account. EA realizes that this person is affecting the gaming experience of a lot of regular players(and therefore, the likely chance they are to play more/buy more/etc), so giving while him a permenant or temporary ban from playing /any/ EA game may stop that person from buying any more EA products, it'll be better for the majority.  

I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, but it is an interesting one.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#242  Edited By Slaker117
    @SpicyRichter:  I understand if you are against preventing him from accessing the game, but what's so bad about a forum banning? It's a privately run message board. They can do whatever they want.

The restrictive EULA is a consumer rights thing; What's the problem with moderation?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@SpicyRichter said:
    " Getting banned from a public forum for complaining about something is one thing, already a pretty bad thing. People are allowed to voice their opinions no matter what, unless they are litigious, this is why democratic countrys have protest laws that ALLOW this kind of thing. But preventing someone from actually using a product or service they paid their money for because of said protest? Ridiculous!  If people become too afraid to speak up against things they don't agree with, the system breaks down and we are no longer part of a democracy. This kind of thing silences the peoples voice. "
    Oh my God, consumer products do not involve a democratic system.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#244  Edited By Ace829

People are defending this? Whatever. Also, while it is one side of the story, it doesn't mean it's a lie.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By CL60
    @Eujin said:
    " While I think the /possible/ ramifications of this are worth considering, in this instance, I think people aren't fully understanding the situation.  If the game was already activated, for the most part, he'd be able to play even after the ban. Apparently this ban doesn't ban you from running the game or already owned DLC, but it does stop you from activating any content, whether that content be buying new DLC, or activating a full retail release.  Since he was already banned before he tried to activate, he couldn't activate the game.   Honestly, I know everyone hates the idea of not owning the software they purchase, but the idea here is potentially good in the big picture. Imagine if someone is caught hacking on an EA online game that is linked with their EA account. EA realizes that this person is affecting the gaming experience of a lot of regular players(and therefore, the likely chance they are to play more/buy more/etc), so giving while him a permenant or temporary ban from playing /any/ EA game may stop that person from buying any more EA products, it'll be better for the majority.   I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, but it is an interesting one. "
    Yes, this. People seriously aren't understanding the situation at all. He didn't have the game then get it taken from him, he didn't have the game yet, and it wasn't even activated yet. Activating a game on a banned account would be silly. Which is why you can't do it.
    SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By SpicyRichter
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @SpicyRichter:  I understand if you are against preventing him from accessing the game, but what's so bad about a forum banning? It's a privately run message board. They can do whatever they want.  The restrictive EULA is a consumer rights thing; What's the problem with moderation? "
    In general there's nothing wrong with moderation if it is offensive to other readers or is litigious in some manner.  If you are simply criticizing a company or publisher for putting out an inferior product though? Not very valid grounds for a forum ban in my opinion. If you don't want people criticizing you on your forums, either grow a thicker skin or solve the problems that they are complaining about. 

I of course don't know what the content of his posts were exactly, but asking if 'Bioware has sold their soul to the EA devil' doesn't seem like reasonable grounds for a ban. If it was more vulgar and offensive than this, then ya, a ban might have been just, but as a forum administrator, it is unfair to cherry pick forum posts to make you look better.
    SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By SpicyRichter
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @SpicyRichter said:
    " Getting banned from a public forum for complaining about something is one thing, already a pretty bad thing. People are allowed to voice their opinions no matter what, unless they are litigious, this is why democratic countrys have protest laws that ALLOW this kind of thing. But preventing someone from actually using a product or service they paid their money for because of said protest? Ridiculous!  If people become too afraid to speak up against things they don't agree with, the system breaks down and we are no longer part of a democracy. This kind of thing silences the peoples voice. "
    Oh my God, consumer products do not involve a democratic system. "

Believe it or not, you do have certain rights as a consumer. One of these being the right to what you have purchased.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By mutha3
    @Brodehouse said:

" @SpicyRichter said:

Oh my God, consumer products do not involve a democratic system. "
    Doesn't make his any less anti-consumer.

Can't wait till videogame corporations get the entire ballgame into their hands when things go DD and have gamers lose what little amount of consumer rights they still have.
    GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By GalacticPunt
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @GalacticPunt said:
    " This is going to be a class five shit-storm in the gaming press, and a well-deserved one if true.  Picture a future where you play The Old Republic for a year, get grouchy about something, then talk trash about EA on the forums.  Under their terms of service, Bioware will delete your endgame character and render your PC DVD into a beer coaster. "
    Maybe you haven't talked shit to a Warcraft GM before. "
    Can't say that I have.  I've BEEN a GM on another MMO in the past (what a twist!).  The folks who were suspended and banned for their IN-GAME communications earned it in spades, with either horrific racial epithets or super-vulgar misogyny.  People get yanked out for pissing in that public pool, not for criticising Company X that made the game.  We GM's shared whatever insults were hurled at us for a laugh, since the players we were suspending took the game so seriously.  

What I'm getting at is:  it is bonkers to disable access to a game to anyone who complains about its perceived flaws on the community sites.  Not only is it unfair, it's terrible business.  Video game players are a hyper-critical bunch.  If you react to every snarky internet comment with Stalin-esque executions, you won't have an audience left to buy your stuff.  As someone who's worked on the other side of the player/staff divide, this is a new low.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By CL60
    @GalacticPunt said:

" @Brodehouse said:

" @GalacticPunt said:

Maybe you haven't talked shit to a Warcraft GM before. "
    Can't say that I have.  I've BEEN a GM on another MMO in the past (what a twist!).  The folks who were suspended and banned for their IN-GAME communications earned it in spades, with either horrific racial epithets or super-vulgar misogyny.  People get yanked out for pissing in that public pool, not for criticising Company X that made the game.  We GM's shared whatever insults were hurled at us for a laugh, since the players we were suspending took the game so seriously.    What I'm getting at is:  it is bonkers to disable access to a game to anyone who complains about its perceived flaws on the community sites.  Not only is it unfair, it's terrible business.  Video game players are a hyper-critical bunch.  If you react to every snarky internet comment with Stalin-esque executions, you won't have an audience left to buy your stuff.  As someone who's worked on the other side of the player/staff divide, this is a new low. "
    it' a new low, but it would have happened with any other Bioware game, and probably has? 

You can't activate a game on a banned account, that is obvious, it would be the same with any other online activation. Why is this new to people?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.