Torn on xbox vs. PC

#1 Posted by Traegan (111 posts) -

I can't decide which version to get.   Played DA:O on the PC, loved being able to zoom all the way out.  Controlled like an MMO when zoomed in. 

But now zoom is gone and I can't help wondering if the gameplay was designed with a console in mind and just ported to PC.   I definitely feel burned from buying Borderlands and Mass Effect 2 on the PC.  Those were better on the xbox console. 

What did everyone else decide?

#2 Posted by amir90 (2164 posts) -

I went for pc version, but I heard that the 360 version has random hitch ups (frame lag), so dunno, if you have a descent computer, I would have gone for the PC version.

And yes, tactical view is missed :/

#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I don't have a gaming PC, but I did get the game on Xbox, instead of buying it for my PS3.

#4 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

I'll be playing on the PC because that's where I played DA:O. I'm not entirely sure there's a wrong way to play the game and it's entirely up to how you want to play it.

#5 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

Play it on PC. It is the superior version. That is a fact. 

#6 Posted by SpicyRichter (545 posts) -

Saying that ME2 was better on the 360 is insanity

I'll give you borderlands though

#7 Posted by OldGuy (1566 posts) -

Didn't play DA:O on PC (as my PC was old and weak then)... played the demo of DA2 on both... while I'm playing 2 on XBOX (where my saves are) I'd still say you should get the PC version.

#8 Posted by Andheez (586 posts) -

I be playing it on PC with a controller, best of both worlds, if its supported.

#9 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

If you used the tactical view camera to plan ahead to make up for the slow movement in the original, that has been remedied in the sequel. Characters move faster and enemies who are clearly a big threat to you should be in view, such as mages or a huge fucking dragon that you have to kill. What might upset you is is that enemies seemingly jump into the fray out of thin air or from the ground, resulting in you, the player, checking the minimap constantly for any new threats.

#10 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -
@Andheez said:
" I be playing it on PC with a controller, best of both worlds, if its supported. "
It's not.
#11 Posted by Traegan (111 posts) -
@SpicyRichter: @SpicyRichter said:
" Saying that ME2 was better on the 360 is insanity  I'll give you borderlands though "
Load times killed ME2 on the PC for me.
#12 Posted by Bucketdeth (8024 posts) -
@Traegan said:
" @SpicyRichter: @SpicyRichter said:
" Saying that ME2 was better on the 360 is insanity  I'll give you borderlands though "
Load times killed ME2 on the PC for me. "
This could have been a HDD issue and not the game but I'm just taking a guess.
#13 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
@Traegan said:
You're insane.  What load times?  It ranged from instant to five seconds, for me.
#14 Posted by SpicyRichter (545 posts) -
@HaltIamReptar said:
" @Traegan said:
You're insane.  What load times?  It ranged from instant to five seconds, for me. "
Same, ME2 on the PC was a fantastic experience for me. Load times were far, far shorter than the 360
#15 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@SpicyRichter said:

" @HaltIamReptar said:

" @Traegan said:
" @SpicyRichter:  @SpicyRichter said:
You're insane.  What load times?  It ranged from instant to five seconds, for me. "
Same, ME2 on the PC was a fantastic experience for me. Load times were far, far shorter than the 360 "
Yeah, I played both, and insanity on 360 was hell because of the load times every time I died. While on PC they were almost instant.
#16 Posted by SpicyRichter (545 posts) -

Anyways, to bring this back around, how do the load times compare for DA2?

#17 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5146 posts) -

If your PC can handle it, you can download a higher res textures for the PC version. 
Edit: 900 posts! Only 100 more to get to a four digit number.

#18 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

Load times on the PC are fairly quick, and I'm probably on what's considered a lower-mid end computer these days.

#19 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

If your PC can run it, PC. 
#20 Posted by Traegan (111 posts) -
@HaltIamReptar said:
" @Traegan said:

Changing floors on the ship were upwards of 1min sometimes.  Granted I was only running like a 2.8 GHz core 2 duo with 4GB of memory and a 7200rpm drive. 

But when the xbox on slower hardware loads faster, it was pretty apparent that some optimization love was put into that release. 

If were running a kick-ass PC setup, I think it would be a no brainer to get DA2 for PC.  I could crank the visuals way beyond the xbox.  As it stands, I'll probably be playing at around the same settings.   So really it is an issue of controls + interface for me.  Accessing a multi-tiered menu that was obviously a lazy port of radial menu on the PC makes me cringe (for example see Borderlands:PC)
#21 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5146 posts) -
@Traegan: If thats what your not sure about you can download the demo for the Xbox and PC and see which one you prefer.
#22 Posted by SpicyRichter (545 posts) -
@Traegan said:
" @HaltIamReptar said:
" @Traegan said:
 Changing floors on the ship were upwards of 1min sometimes.  Granted I was only running like a 2.8 GHz core 2 duo with 4GB of memory and a 7200rpm drive.  But when the xbox on slower hardware loads faster, it was pretty apparent that some optimization love was put into that release.  If were running a kick-ass PC setup, I think it would be a no brainer to get DA2 for PC.  I could crank the visuals way beyond the xbox.  As it stands, I'll probably be playing at around the same settings.   So really it is an issue of controls + interface for me.  Accessing a multi-tiered menu that was obviously a lazy port of radial menu on the PC makes me cringe (for example see Borderlands:PC) "
A minute is crazy. I was running a 2.8 GHz with 8 gigs of ram and a 1GB 250 GT, and changing floors in the ship was 5-6 seconds tops.

For me, I just have other control issues and can only really use a mouse, so I avoid xbox games when I can. The better visuals and faster load times for most PC games is just an added plus. What can I say, I'm just oldschool.
#23 Posted by rmanthorp (4000 posts) -

Only thing that makes me want 360 is chevements but meh, PC for me :D

#24 Posted by Traegan (111 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton said:
" @Traegan: If thats what your not sure about you can download the demo for the Xbox and PC and see which one you prefer. "  

I think I will.  I was leaning xbox before this thread, but leaning PC now. 

@SpicyRichter
said:
A minute is crazy. I was running a 2.8 GHz with 8 gigs of ram and a 1GB 250 GT, and changing floors in the ship was 5-6 seconds tops.  For me, I just have other control issues and can only really use a mouse, so I avoid xbox games when I can. The better visuals and faster load times for most PC games is just an added plus. What can I say, I'm just oldschool. "

Might have been something with my PC then.   I wouldn't have even tried the xbox version had I not been able to get it for $10.
#25 Posted by ChaosDent (234 posts) -
@Traegan said:

" @HaltIamReptar said:

" @Traegan said:
 Changing floors on the ship were upwards of 1min sometimes.  Granted I was only running like a 2.8 GHz core 2 duo with 4GB of memory and a 7200rpm drive.  But when the xbox on slower hardware loads faster, it was pretty apparent that some optimization love was put into that release.  If were running a kick-ass PC setup, I think it would be a no brainer to get DA2 for PC.  I could crank the visuals way beyond the xbox.  As it stands, I'll probably be playing at around the same settings.   So really it is an issue of controls + interface for me.  Accessing a multi-tiered menu that was obviously a lazy port of radial menu on the PC makes me cringe (for example see Borderlands:PC) "
 I rented the PS3 version to play through (I'm waiting for the complete DLC bundle before I buy), but I have played the PC demo and I would recommend the PC version if you were intending to buy it.

There is definitely some of the console based UI in the PC version of Dragon Age 2, but it's much less problematic than either Borderlands or Mass Effect 2. Mass effect 2 actually bothered me more than Borderlands because they didn't even bother to bind hotkeys to any of the interface pages, the mouse scroll wheel wasn't bound to scroll any lists and clicking on any object in the UI had the effect that you would expect a hover to have--the "activate" button was always at the bottom of the screen. Dragon Age 2's character interface is big, bland and has a few more pages than you'd expect from a PC focused game, but at least you can enter any page directly from a key press or a UI button and they made sure that common UI conventions feel fairly natural.  They also added a lot more detail about what the stats and abilities do and what their direct effects are.

I still prefer the way the actual game controls in combat on the PC. The Normal difficulty setting is basically a cakewalk mode that allows you to play the game as an action RPG, ignoring your allies entirely and auto-leveling them. If you step it up to Hard though you will have to play most combats with some tactical thought, or at least pay attention to and manage your party member's abilities better than the default tactics allow. For this, the pause and play features, wider camera angle, quick character select buttons (F1-F4 by default now finally) and more hotkeys really make the PC interface better. It's not something the game requires by default like Origins, but if you prefer that style of gameplay you can find it on the harder difficulty settings.
#26 Posted by Michael_B_Back (20 posts) -

So you can either have a good version or a shitty version, dude obviously you want 360.

#27 Edited by Marz (5658 posts) -

I couldn''t imagine playing nightmare difficulty on the console version.   I always want to play tactical and face the toughest challenge and mouse and keyboard makes micro managing that challenge alot easier for me.   High resolution textures and native 1080p with anti aliasing is just a plus :)
screenshot that i took

#28 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

DX11 and half the loading times, nothing more to say.

#29 Posted by StarvingGamer (8371 posts) -

Get it for PC, I can't imagine it's going to be easier/more fun to control 4 different characters with myriad abilities in fast paced combat without a keyboard and mouse.

#30 Posted by Shimastu (35 posts) -

I would say go with Community rather then preformance. If you have more friends who are into DA2 on xbox or pc go with them. I mean a game is a game, but sitting at your comp or console for hours without anyone to talk about it get boring quick!

#31 Posted by Bakumatsu (361 posts) -
@Traegan said:
" @HaltIamReptar said:
" @Traegan said:
Search in Google for MassAffinity. It's a program you  can use to make the loading times in ME2 shorter. I have PC similar to yours and after I used it, the loading times in the ship reduced to 2-3 seconds.
#32 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

Another thing besides how it plays, the save file transfers over. 

Your DAO character might not, but the things that happened in that game do.

#33 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

It is so consolized... I still can't believe people won't admit it.  
Get it on either platform. DA:O was great this game is shit.

#34 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@SpicyRichter said:
This. I'm getting DA2 for PC.
#35 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

If your PC can handle it, run it on PC.  You'll get mods and all that stuff.

#36 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

It runs extremely well with DX9 and I have a pretty bad PC. If your computer is even relatively modern it will be fine. The load times will be shit on console but on the other hand the interface and combat is made for a controller.

#37 Posted by newhaap (425 posts) -
@Traegan: Also, since you played DA:O on the PC, if you get DA2 on the PC then you can import your save files
#38 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Its more then playable on an xbox, I just like controllers more then keyboards.
DA2 on pc (demo) felt like I was playing a MMO but offline, so no thanks for that.

Load times ain't that bad too, with the game installed on the hdd, but its still kinda boring to have to transfer so much and wait a few secs.

#39 Posted by ___pocalypse (561 posts) -

Personally, I got it for my 360. I pre-ordered it before I had a PC to play it on, but I probably would have still gotten it for 360. I tried out the demo on both PC and 360, and I felt like it flowed better on my 360. They spent a lot of time making the console version great, and I have heard of people having a lot of issues getting their game to work on the PC. A friend of mine had installation issues and had to fiddle with the settings (anything above DX9 will cause the game to crash) to get it to run. She continues to have problems getting all of her bonus content, and the problems aren't on her end. 

That being said, the PC version will give you more options in the future. Patches tend to happen more quickly and frequently for PC games, and if you're into player mods then you may want it on the PC. You can download different save files from Origins, so you don't have to play Origins a bunch of different times to get specific endings or that sort of thing. Graphics are almost always better on the PC, but they really focused on making the console versions look nice as well.  

You're not going to get a broken or crappy version regardless of what you pick, so pick whichever one you think you're going to enjoying sitting in front of for hours and hours and hours. For me, it's the TV in a squishy chair.

#40 Posted by SilenceUK (330 posts) -

i have a high end gaming laptop and a lot of the time i dont even have time to read the quick tips on the loading screens its so quick other than some issues with it crashing when i had it set to DX11 when i have DX 10 cards even though it says set it to DX11 to make use of the DX 10 features ...dont even get me started but needless to say its on DX9 with the hihg res texture pack now and still looks very good. Back to my point load times are so fast u hardly ever even have time to take a drink or scratch ur head before there done (at least on a decent spec system) also a not on the save import u dont even need a complete save it will use what info uve got i only got a few hours in on the pc DAO but still made the dalish elf u meet early on hint at an old member of her tribe who ran off to fight the dark spawn which was my character from the first game

#41 Posted by JoeyRavn (4992 posts) -
@SpicyRichter said:
I'm curious about this. I play a shitload of Borderlands on PC and, with the exception of the obviously-meant-for-console GUI (which, granted, is not that big of an issue), I can't see anything wrong with it performance-wise. What's so better about the 360 version?
#42 Posted by SpicyRichter (545 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" @SpicyRichter said:
I'm curious about this. I play a shitload of Borderlands on PC and, with the exception of the obviously-meant-for-console GUI (which, granted, is not that big of an issue), I can't see anything wrong with it performance-wise. What's so better about the 360 version? "
It played not bad for me as well, I'm mostly referring to the GUI. Getting through those menus wasn't quite what I was used to. Performance was good, but obviously not optimized for non-console hardware. I enjoyed borderlands on the PC too, call me oldschool, but I prefer a mouse.

"You're oldschool"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.