Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Train wreck of an interview with David Silverman

• 89 results
    Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bwast

According to this guy: 
    Varied environments are bad. 
    Densely populated areas are "distracting". 
    Leaving books of lore for players to read comes at the expense of graphics and are "useless". 
    Zooming out to an isometric view ruined the fidelity of the game, so instead of improving it, they ripped it out. 
    The "2" on Dragon Age 2 doesn't mean anything. It's "A completely new game.". (Why is it called Dragon Age then, guy?) 
    The only way people will benefit from playing Origins is being able to import their save. People who don't import just select one of three world outcomes from Origins.(If I can choose, why would I import? Unless there are more than 3 possible imports) 
    People want to be able to press a button and have something awesome happen. There's a "button awesome connection." 
    Apparently Dragon Age 2 is the only sequel ever that is more accessible, yet retain all of the "geekiness" of the first game. ("Geekiness" means setting tactics, zooming and rotating the camera; and pausing. Strategy=Geekiness) 
    Will be able to play on Easy or Normal and just "hit 'A' all day and have a good time."  

Man...what is going on at Bioware?
    omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By omghisam

Dudes a brand manager, not a designer or producer.  He's a marketing guy there to sell units.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bwast
    @omghisam: He's not doing a very good job selling units with this interview.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wrighteous86

Unfortunately, this game is still going to sell millions, continuing the downward slide in interactivity in WRPGs.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Some of the things he said sound ok, but he is a little oddly dismissive of the first game. Definitely not a "trainwreck", although the interviewer does kind of suck. 

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hunkulese

He's just a PR guy trying to sell the game to people who were intimidated by the rpgness of Origins. They don't market to hardcore fans because they'll buy the game no matter what.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By endaround

Always keep in mind EA/Bioware PR stinks.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

Any DA2 interviews/previews without Mike Laidlaw = bleh. 

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By cornbredx

Marketing Manager. He's not gonna be able to explain the game in a way a returning player will necessarily be hyped for, and sadly it doesn't seem like they care. That being said, Bioware has been trying to make their games more accessible since ME2. It's no surprise the marketing manager would stress these concepts as that's what his job is to sell.

It doesn't matter as much to me, though. As long the game is good, fun, and has a good story I will be ok with it. I know the purest are really upset by this, though.

It was really upsetting hearing him say nonsense like "zooming out ruins the fidelity" and (paraphrasing) "having all the lore was a waste of assets". These are things he should probably keep his mouth shut up about even if the company feels that way.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wrighteous86

I'm surprised that the interviewer was even able to speak with his mouth full of **** like that.  The Marketing Manager even complimented him for essentially doing his job and shamelessly promoting what they wanted and downplaying any complaints.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You guys are the worst kind of grognards.  

Honestly, it's Japanese versions of you guys that have trapped that entire island in design principles from 10 years ago.  Because if a company didn't make a game like Monster Hunter, you'd fold your arms and stick your lip out.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ChaosDent

The only way Origins ever looked good was in the tactical camera mode. But it doesn't work for the console control scheme and it requires special attention to detail to drop certain bits of geometry from the environment. But rather than say, "This was too much work and consoles are our priority, suck it up PC guys," they couch it in marketing slang trying to excuse the tactical view as useless.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#14  Edited By Lazyaza

I suggest people actually watch the interview, Bwast is greatly exaggerating and misinterpreting alot of what this guy is saying.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Brodehouse: The dude specifically says "all those books on the ground in the Circle of Mages, did you actually even read any of those?"  I guarantee you the vast majority of people that played Origins for a significant amount of time read almost every book they found in the game.  Background details and story are essential to that type of gameplay, and he points out that they are less important than "the graphical fidelity".   

You're accusing fans of Origins of hating change and things that are different.  The reason fans loved Origins is because it was different.  Now it's a lot like every other game on the market.  Fans of Origins are arguing against homogenization, and you're trying to use that same argument against them.  Think it through. 

I loved Mass Effect.  I loved Dragon Age.  I was glad that they weren't the same game.  Now it's essentially just replacing sci-fi with fantasy and playing the same damn game.  We're arguing that there's a place for strategy and deep plot and backstory, and you're saying that we fear change because we don't want Dragon Effect, which we can get in hundreds of other games. 

There are no games like Origins anymore, but there are plenty like Dragon Age 2.  That's like saying people are stuck in the past because they don't want Gran Turismo to play like Mario Kart.  They are two different things, and should stay that way.  I'd rather have a choice between Full Spectrum Warrior and Halo than a choice between Call of Duty: Red and Call of Duty: Blue.  So sue me.
    Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bwast
    @Brodehouse said:
    " You guys are the worst kind of grognards.    Honestly, it's Japanese versions of you guys that have trapped that entire island in design principles from 10 years ago.  Because if a company didn't make a game like Monster Hunter, you'd fold your arms and stick your lip out. "
    I am not adverse to change. ME2 was better than ME1 in my view and some people thought they were watering it down. Dawn of War II changed a whole hell of a lot but that game is head and shoulders better than the first in my opinion. Change can be good, but when you set out to make a "spiritual successor" to Baldur's Gate with the sole purpose of reviving that old style of game, then turn around with a sequel that has nothing to do with it and claim that it is better in every way, I get a little flustered.
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By DeeGee
    @Wrighteous86:  As someone who sank over 100 hours into Origins, I didn't read a single book. I just can't fathon why anyone would consider that essential. If it was essential, it wouldn't have been optional.

And can someone tell me how this is the exact same game as Mass Effect 2? Apart from "You can pause to issue commands also dialogue wheel." In Mass Effect have to move from cover to cover whilst shooting aliens.

Plus I'd love someone to give me a game that's like Dragon Age 2, where I have a details dialogue tree for a fully voiced character that has branching storylines that effect the world, combined with the tactical pausing/hack and slash gameplay. Fuck yeah I need more games like that! : D
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By cornbredx
    @Wrighteous86:  Ya, I found that really disturbing when he said that. I read every book I found in the game. 

I'm not an idiot, and I do enjoy lore in games. He's an asshole for suggesting that having it there is pointless.

It's not like it was hurting the people who don't like to read. They just don't have to read it.

Anyway, even if they take that out though, it doesn't hurt the game for me. It just makes this guy an asshole for suggesting it was useless content.

Your points about the game being different are also fairly valid. The only thing I'd point out is it is reminiscent of the old types of western PC RPGs (like NWN or Baldur's Gate), but again you are right. That was a large part of it's appeal.

You make some great points there.
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DeeGee
    @Bwast:  They made their spiritual succesor, Dragon Age. Now they're doing something different. If they had marketed Dragon Age 2 like this, I'd agree with you. But they made it very clear that they were trying something new out. Sequels that don't change things up are just expensive expansion packs.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#20  Edited By sammo21
    @Bwast:  So basically this is another "I don't like Bioware anymore" posts?  Shouldn't there just be one sticky post for this or something?  I am sure this guy makes no game design decisions and there is no proof anything he says matters.  Guess what, a lot of people in game design think that browser games and one console is the future and best way games should go....who cares.   

Wait until a game comes out to judge it and if it's not your cup of tea just complain and move on. 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yummylee
    @DeeGee said:

" @Wrighteous86:  As someone who sank over 100 hours into Origins, I didn't read a single book. I just can't fathon why anyone would consider that essential. If it was essential, it wouldn't have been optional.  And can someone tell me how this is the exact same game as Mass Effect 2? Apart from "You can pause to issue commands also dialogue wheel." In Mass Effect have to move from cover to cover whilst shooting aliens.  Plus I'd love someone to give me a game that's like Dragon Age 2, where I have a details dialogue tree for a fully voiced character that has branching storylines that effect the world, combined with the tactical pausing/hack and slash gameplay. Fuck yeah I need more games like that! : D "

Just because you didn't read the books doesn't mean everything one else didn't. They are optional, but the fact that they were just there for the many people that was interested in discovering every minute detail with this world was pretty amazing and respectful. Besides, I'm sure there'll be plenty of Codex pages to skim through, anywhoo, but your reasoning against why people shouldn't care that there are no longer any books/notes/letters you can find scattered around was pretty selfish.

As for the relations to ME2: there's also the fact that your character is set in stone as a human with the surname of Hawke. You can choose your gender, and if Hawkes a blood curdling monster, or the next coming of Jesus, but no longer could this be a Dwarf from the slums, or one of the elusive Dalish Elves. 
    Plus you won't be able to talk with your characters outside of your ''base'' either, (in this case, a select area of Kirkwall) just like ME2. They had that in Awakening as well, which I still hated, so all these changes were no doubt in their minds long before DA2 was even announced. =/ 

EDIT: Well it wasn't like that exactly in Awakening. You could still talk to your party members when the opportunity arose via something in the environment, and in-fact you could only talk to them in your base (Keep Throne Room) through the same methods... jesus, fuck you Awakening!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Hailinel
    @DeeGee said:
    " @Bwast:  They made their spiritual succesor, Dragon Age. Now they're doing something different. If they had marketed Dragon Age 2 like this, I'd agree with you. But they made it very clear that they were trying something new out. Sequels that don't change things up are just expensive expansion packs. "
    But by changing things too much, you risk removing what people loved about the original.  Sure, you might attract a different audience, but is that really worth alienating the fans of the original (and by extension, the fans of Bioware's old D&D titles)?
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wrighteous86
    @DeeGee: How is it unlike Mass Effect?  Aside from combat being gun focused for warriors in one, and sword focused in the other, I struggle to see any other significant differences. 

The dialog system has been dumbed down, the player's ties to the nature of the character and his personality is weakened, there is less of an emphasis on lore and backstory, pressing A a bunch of times doesn't feel satisfying, it feels like busy work (in that respect it's worse than Mass Effect, where it felt like my direct control required some skill, ie aiming).  You can't talk to your companions during missions, the codex seems to be made more like ME's, there's no way to choose your Origin or race, which were pretty important to the first game, and you're now a premade "Hero" with a set last name and race. I don't know, aside from the setting, what makes this different from ME 2 at all.  

Shooting as opposed to sword combat doesn't really make it a different game, that's almost entirely due to the setting.  I suppose they could've made your characters walk around with auto-crossbows that shoot like guns, but aside from that they couldn't have really made it more like Mass Effect. 

Mario and Ratchet are both considered platformers despite one having guns and the other not.  Hell the Jak and Daxter series flirted with both, depending on the installment, and they were the same damn series. 

You ask for a game like Dragon Age 2? Mass Effect 2.  Oh wait, you think hack and slash makes it different... I guess that one thing makes it a different game, as opposed to everything else being exactly the same.
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DeeGee
    @Abyssfull:  I never said that nobody else read the books. The dude said that reading the books was essential and I told him that I enjoyed over a 100 hours without it, so it's not essential. But hey, way to go with misreading that I hate the books and think they shouldn't be in the game, I suppose?

And yeah, you just described a Bioware RPG. KOTOR games had you choosing a gender with the option to be a goody goody or an evil badass. They cut the thing they had in one game that effected the tutorial level, not a huge thing to me, at any rate. They're weaving a tighter story this time and I think it'll be just as great as the story of Origins.

@Wrighteous86: Because one is a cover based sci-fi shooter and the other is a tactical hack and slash RPG? Dialogue system has been greatly improved with the addition of a voice, so you actually care about the main character, instead of the hollow husk of a mute that was the Grey Warden. Until you get the game, you can't say at all that you can just press A to win the game. And man, why would you talk to companions during missions? In Dragon Age all that got was a "Well ... we're not in camp, but FINE, we can do about the same stuff as we would in camp but I won't answer some of it."

We need to stop clinging to the fact that you can't select an Origin. That's the feature of the first game, Dragon Age ORIGINS. This is a new game. They clearly aren't selling this series as the fantasy series where you get to select your race, that was just a neat feature for the first one. DA2 is a totally different game. But yeah, premade hero is what a Bioware RPG is. You didn't get to select the race of your KOTOR dude, guys.

Shooting as opposed to swords makes it a completely different game. Unless you mean genre, in which I can get back onboard with your point. They both have dialogue wheels and make use of several Bioware signitures, but that's the RPG genre they're in. I can't get my head around people calling it the same game though. Playing the demo, it was nothing like Mass Effect 2 except for the fact they both had the same RPG elements like the radius wheel.

Man, who the fuck thinks Mass Effect 2 is like Dragon Age 2, really? They could not play less similar.
    Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bwast
    @sammo21 said:

" @Bwast:  So basically this is another "I don't like Bioware anymore" posts?  Shouldn't there just be one sticky post for this or something?  I am sure this guy makes no game design decisions and there is no proof anything he says matters.  Guess what, a lot of people in game design think that browser games and one console is the future and best way games should go....who cares.    Wait until a game comes out to judge it and if it's not your cup of tea just complain and move on.  "

I don't hate Bioware. I loved Mass Effect 2. Origins was one of my favorite games of the last decade. Baldur's Gate will always hold a special place in my heart. Just because I am critical of a game they are making, doesn't mean I hate them.  

Why would they trot this guy out there if nothing he said mattered? His job is to sell games. Bioware must think what he says matters if they trust him with that job.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Yummylee
    @DeeGee:  
    What's KOTOR got to do with this, exactly? You asked for how this is like Mass Effect 2 and I supplied you with examples. This is comparing how much DA2 lost to become more familiar towards ME2.  
    Plus, on that subject, in the KOTOR games you could still talk to your party members outside of your base.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sammo21
    @Bwast: Fair enough.  I don't feel from anything I've played from Bioware that this is what they are doing.  I'll wait to just ME2 and all Bioware products until they come out.  
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DeeGee
    @Abyssfull:  I told you what Kotor has to do it with, very clearly. Don't try and escape my point about ALL Bioware RPG's main characters being identical.

And man, why would you talk to companions during missions? In Dragon Age all that got was a "Well ... we're not in camp, but FINE, we can do about the same stuff as we would in camp but I won't answer some of it."
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By wrighteous86
    @DeeGee said:
    " @Abyssfull:  I never said that nobody else read the books. The dude said that reading the books was essential and I told him that I enjoyed over a 100 hours without it, so it's not essential. But hey, way to go with misreading that I hate the books and think they shouldn't be in the game, I suppose?  And yeah, you just described a Bioware RPG. KOTOR games had you choosing a gender with the option to be a goody goody or an evil badass. They cut the thing they had in one game that effected the tutorial level, not a huge thing to me, at any rate. They're weaving a tighter story this time and I think it'll be just as great as the story of Origins. "
    Technically I said that the vast majority of serious DA:O players read all the lore and backstory found in the books, not that it was essential.  You were obviously an exception, but I do think the rule tends to side with me.  We're comparing Dragon Age: Origins with Dragon Age 2, so your KOTOR argument is irrelevant.  Functionally, for many people, Origins was different from Mass Effect and KOTOR, but they are making it more like those games, because people don't like change or differences.  People in this thread were insulting fans of the first for hating change and advancement, when the whole reason many loved Origins was specifically because it was different. 

If they decided to make Phoenix Wright exactly like Professor Layton, people would be pissed.  You can love both games, but you tend to love them for different reasons, so having them become the same is depressing and weakening the games industry.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Aetheldod
    @DeeGee said:

" @Bwast:  They made their spiritual succesor, Dragon Age. Now they're doing something different. If they had marketed Dragon Age 2 like this, I'd agree with you. But they made it very clear that they were trying something new out. Sequels that don't change things up are just expensive expansion packs. "

Exactly this , also I would not pay attention to this guy and rather just listen to Mike or more important Bioware folks (like the doctors or even evil Chris)

Edit: and no marketing people aren't important , PR sucks :P
    matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By matiaz_tapia
      It's art direction talk and You are completely misunderstanding. 

- When he mentioned the books, he was referring to the amount of book "assets" lying around the Circle of Magi tower. Not the lore. 
    - Densely populated areas do not refer to people. It's a perception law. Basically an area that it's overloaded with detail tends to pass as one value within the visual composition. In other words, you wont notice the detail and write it off as "lots of stuff" because you didn't know where to look. 
    - When he mentions the overall look, that doesn't mean that he speaks against "varied environments". It's just that the variety needs to remain consistent to an overall look and branch out from there. It's not about making "everything the same" it's simply about organizing ideas in order to create variety. 
     What this fixes is that things won't look like they don't belong to the "world". 
    -When he mentions the graphical fidelity thing. It's about having to design it visually to work in both isometric and zoomed in. The graphical fidelity it's lost when you zoom in. They are obligated to do console versions so they had to drop it in order to make one look good and not two  just ok. There's no such things as infinite money or time. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wrighteous86:  I didn't read any of those books, save maybe one, because most of them are largely uninteresting and when I'm playing a video game and in the progress of moving a story forward, I don't want to stop what I'm doing and read a chapter of an unrelated short story.  I played Dragon Age three times over, and I'm reading one of the novels right now.  But no, I didn't read any of those stupid books because that would be ridiculous.  And scrolling text on a television screen is not how I want a story told to me.

Do you seriously think Origins is different?  Literally, it's a clone of Baldur's Gate and PC games from the early 00s.  And it hasn't stopped existing.  You are mad because of change, because it didn't stay the exact same as it was in the first one.  You're acting as if you can't ever play Origins again.  It's a competely impossible argument to say you love change and that's why Dragon Age II should be the exact same.  'Every other game on the market' and 'change' are two distinct arguments, think it through.

If you actually believe Dragon Age II plays like Mass Effect, I'd suggest you try playing more games.  I suppose Devil May Cry is identical to Gears, right?

@Bwast:  They made your game, for you!  It's there, and now you're throwing a fit because they didn't keep making your game until the end of time.  The only way you can even possibly have a leg to stand on is if they changed Origins, and they haven't.  You haven't purchased Dragon Age II, they owe you nothing, but you've decided that you're going to get flustered because a new game was released that isn't identical to Origins.  Every time a sequel is released that isn't identical to the previous, there are people like you to cry RUINED FOREVER and I just don't get it.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jack268
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DeeGee

Man, I just love how people brush off the fact I proved why their whole "Dragon Age 2 sucks because now I'm just a named hero, and all I can do is select gender" is silly by pointing them towards KOTOR and how that's how Bioware has always done it.

You're right guys, we weren't talking about KOTOR. But then I brought it up with a valid point and you all dimissed it because you are 100% set on being angry about the removal of that feature that only appeared once that gave you slightly more customisation over your character. If you're just going to blanket dismiss something, I'm out.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I never played any of the Dragon Age games, but considering the amount of time I spent reading the random useless lore books from Morrowind and Oblivion, I'll just say that guy can go to hell.

Also, someone said something about Monster Hunter in here: That game is awesome.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Yummylee
    @DeeGee said:

" @Abyssfull:  I told you what Kotor has to do it with, very clearly. Don't try and escape my point about ALL Bioware RPG's main characters being identical.  And man, why would you talk to companions during missions? In Dragon Age all that got was a "Well ... we're not in camp, but FINE, we can do about the same stuff as we would in camp but I won't answer some of it." "

KOTOR was released before origins FFS. Origins was of a very similar design, but it improved that design, and then here we have DA2 that goes backwards with it all. 

And why would I talk to companions during missions? Well why not? Just because you're not at camp doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to divulge into conversation, and for a more tactical perspective, conversations can raise their ''approval meter'' which could potentially give you those few brownie points that has them reach their stat bonuses. And for some characters such as Leliana, you could even talk to her to learn about the history of the location you're in, or Wynne for example who would you could converse with during the Circle of Magi section about how all of abominations ect. came to happen, and the possible repercussions about it. 

I'm not avoiding anything here, it's just you keep going in circles with this, countering it all because of your own play style with the game.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Brodehouse said:

" @Wrighteous86:  I didn't read any of those books, save maybe one, because most of them are largely uninteresting and when I'm playing a video game and in the progress of moving a story forward, I don't want to stop what I'm doing and read a chapter of an unrelated short story.  I played Dragon Age three times over, and I'm reading one of the novels right now.  But no, I didn't read any of those stupid books because that would be ridiculous.  And scrolling text on a television screen is not how I want a story told to me.

Do you seriously think Origins is different?  Literally, it's a clone of Baldur's Gate and PC games from the early 00s.  And it hasn't stopped existing.  You are mad because of change, because it didn't stay the exact same as it was in the first one.  You're acting as if you can't ever play Origins again.  It's a competely impossible argument to say you love change and that's why Dragon Age II should be the exact same.  'Every other game on the market' and 'change' are two distinct arguments, think it through.

If you actually believe Dragon Age II plays like Mass Effect, I'd suggest you try playing more games.  I suppose Devil May Cry is identical to Gears, right?

Aside from switching from melee to guns, yes I think they play exactly the same.  And that change is entirely due to the setting (and restricted to one class).  If you play as a mage, is it any different from playing as a biotic?  So, aside from the setting (which forces the switch from guns to melee) explain to me how the game is different. 

Origins is different because they don't make games like Baldur's Gate and PC WRPGs from the early 00s.  On the current console market, it was one of a kind, and now it's Mass Effect: Dragons.  I'll play this one, and I'll probably enjoy it.  But telling me I'm wrong for thinking less of the series or implying that the unique identity was lost in the transition from Origins to 2 is ridiculous. 

Can you imagine anyone that didn't like Mass Effect 2 (aside from people that don't like sci-fi) having any interest in Dragon Age 2?  There were some people that liked Origins but not Mass Effect.  Do you think that will be the case with the new game? 

@DeeGee

said:

" Man, I just love how people brush off the fact I proved why their whole "Dragon Age 2 sucks because now I'm just a named hero, and all I can do is select gender" is silly by pointing them towards KOTOR and how that's how Bioware has always done it.  You're right guys, we weren't talking about KOTOR. But then I brought it up with a valid point and you all dimissed it because you are 100% set on being angry about the removal of that feature that only appeared once that gave you slightly more customisation over your character. If you're just going to blanket dismiss something, I'm out. "

Your "proof" is that Mass Effect is better so Dragon Age 2 is better.  Bioware HASN'T always done it that way.  Origins wasn't that way, Baldur's Gate isn't that way.  And making one of your games more like "all your other games" is not necessarily a good thing. 

KOTOR is irrelevant to this conversation.  Just because KOTOR had something in common with Mass Effect doesn't mean every game they make should.  What is your point?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull:  Wait a minute, you think it's a necessary feature to be able to stop what you're doing and have a long conversation about nothing with your team members everywhere rather than in one place?  That 'feature' drove me absolutely nuts, when I'm trying to pick shit up after a fight and have to tell Oghren that I didn't actually want to talk to him... and then try to pick it up again to have Oghren ask me what it is I want.  Furthermore, once you exhaust all their dialogue trees, they don't have anything to say anyway, but you still get locked up in the dialogue menu with the only option being "Nevermind".  That was infuriating.  If I want to talk to those idiots, I'll go back to base and chat it up, not while I'm on a mission.

Original Mass Effect was almost as bad, as I have Tali and Liara yelling "Take out those hostiles!" "Not now Shepard!" when I'm just trying to sprintor snap to cover.

Also, I really love how people are upset that the main character has a preselected last name.  You ever played this game, Dragon Age: Origins?  You get preselected last names too.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sammo21
    @Bwast: Really listening to this interview, it sounds like he isn't even serious.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Brodehouse said:
    " You guys are the worst kind of grognards.    Honestly, it's Japanese versions of you guys that have trapped that entire island in design principles from 10 years ago.  Because if a company didn't make a game like Monster Hunter, you'd fold your arms and stick your lip out. "
    ^^
    TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheChaos
    @Hunkulese said:
    " He's just a PR guy trying to sell the game to people who were intimidated by the rpgness of Origins. They don't market to hardcore fans because they'll buy the game no matter what. "
    But I don't want those retarded mouth-breathers playing my Dragon Age in the first place.
    Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bwast
    @Brodehouse said:

"@Bwast:  They made your game, for you!  It's there, and now you're throwing a fit because they didn't keep making your game until the end of time.  The only way you can even possibly have a leg to stand on is if they changed Origins, and they haven't.  You haven't purchased Dragon Age II, they owe you nothing, but you've decided that you're going to get flustered because a new game was released that isn't identical to Origins.  Every time a sequel is released that isn't identical to the previous, there are people like you to cry RUINED FOREVER and I just don't get it. "

I don't know where you are getting this entitled attitude from. Maybe you're just an asshole. Dragon Age 2 isn't identical. It isn't even in the same stratosphere. The guy himself says that it's a completely different game.  

How would you feel if a restaurant said "OK guys we all know you like tomato soup and no one makes it anymore. So here's what we are going to do! We are going to celebrate the good old days of tomato soup and bring it back! Yeah! Go us!" So we all get really excited and eat the tomato soup. It's great. We love it. Then, later we come back and they say "Oh, sorry, bud but tomato soup sucks. Everyone likes mushroom soup now!" Then you look around and see a scad of restaurants that serve nothing but mushroom soup when all you want is a little tomato.  We all get a little upset.

I know they don't owe me anything but I feel a little betrayed when they make a game designed specifically for reviving a specific type of game, then make the sequel entirely different and casually dismiss everything about the first. If this game wasn't called Dragon Age, I would be 100% okay with this game. There's no reason for this to be called Dragon Age 2.  

@Jack268:
     HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME POSTING THIS PICTURE WITHOUT READING THE THREAD! AM I COOL YET?
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @Abyssfull:  Wait a minute, you think it's a necessary feature to be able to stop what you're doing and have a long conversation about nothing with your team members everywhere rather than in one place?  That 'feature' drove me absolutely nuts, when I'm trying to pick shit up after a fight and have to tell Oghren that I didn't actually want to talk to him... and then try to pick it up again to have Oghren ask me what it is I want.  Furthermore, once you exhaust all their dialogue trees, they don't have anything to say anyway, but you still get locked up in the dialogue menu with the only option being "Nevermind".  That was infuriating.  If I want to talk to those idiots, I'll go back to base and chat it up, not while I'm on a mission.

Original Mass Effect was almost as bad, as I have Tali and Liara yelling "Take out those hostiles!" "Not now Shepard!" when I'm just trying to sprintor snap to cover.  Also, I really love how people are upset that the main character has a preselected last name.  You ever played this game, Dragon Age: Origins?  You get preselected last names too. "
    We aren't arguing that these features are necessary, dammit.  We've been saying that it makes it different.  IT IS DIFFERENT FROM WHAT IS IN MASS EFFECT AND BEING TAKEN OUT SO IT CAN BE MORE LIKE MASS EFFECT!  Just because you didn't like those differences, doesn't mean other people didn't.  Some people appreciated both series for their differences, and now those differences are negligible.  Is this that hard to understand? 

No one cares about the last name specifically, but we care about the depletion of customization options.  Just because you don't care about them doesn't make everyone else wrong for wanting them.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Yummylee
    @Brodehouse:  
    Oh yes, because only in missions+camp were the only places should you be able to talk. It's not like when just travelling around Denerim, Lothering or Orzammar could you also start talking with your party or anything >_> 

I close to never accidentally chose a party member over an item, or enemy or whatever, so that one's all you. As for exhausting the dialogue tree; yeah it makes sense if there really isn't anything to talk about, but as you progress through the story, there was usually something new that could crop up, such a new available conversation being made with Morrigan about if she ''really wants her mother dead'' after the previous quest initiative conversation towards killing Flemeth.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By Dustpan

Watched this a few days ago, what a fool.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wrighteous86:  If you honestly believe they play the same... I don't even know how to speak to you.  Devil May Cry is not Gears, God of War is not Dead Space, Zelda is not Alan Wake.  If you think Arkham Asylum is just Uncharted without less aiming, you are a crazy person.  All games that take place in the third person are not the same genre.

And when you say 'they don't make games from the early 00s' who are you talking about?  BioWare doesn't make games like they did 10 years ago, I should hope so.  I thought it was disappointing exactly how little Dragon Age evolved, but understood that it had a lot to do with a 5 year development process.

And if you're thinking of it less as a series because it's not like the first game is exactly what I was referring to in my original post.  It's people like you that ruined Japanese gaming by making the publishers unwilling to make any changes or attempt anything new.  Resident Evil 4.  Never would've happened if the devs hadn't pushed change.  It's this same 'the series is RUINED now' that holds that back.

And are you serious with your last question?  Yeah, if they didn't like Mass Effect 2, they probably won't like Dragon Age 2.  What about those people who like Mass Effect 2 and not Origins?  Oh but that doesn't count because they have their game and now they're taking ours! 
    TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheChaos
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @Wrighteous86:  I didn't read any of those books, save maybe one, because most of them are largely uninteresting and when I'm playing a video game and in the progress of moving a story forward, I don't want to stop what I'm doing and read a chapter of an unrelated short story.  I played Dragon Age three times over, and I'm reading one of the novels right now.  But no, I didn't read any of those stupid books because that would be ridiculous.  And scrolling text on a television screen is not how I want a story told to me.

@Bwast:  They made your game, for you!  It's there, and now you're throwing a fit because they didn't keep making your game until the end of time.  The only way you can even possibly have a leg to stand on is if they changed Origins, and they haven't.  You haven't purchased Dragon Age II, they owe you nothing, but you've decided that you're going to get flustered because a new game was released that isn't identical to Origins.  Every time a sequel is released that isn't identical to the previous, there are people like you to cry RUINED FOREVER and I just don't get it. "
    What do you have stock in Bioware or something?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bwast said:
    " @Brodehouse said:

"@Bwast:  They made your game, for you!  It's there, and now you're throwing a fit because they didn't keep making your game until the end of time.  The only way you can even possibly have a leg to stand on is if they changed Origins, and they haven't.  You haven't purchased Dragon Age II, they owe you nothing, but you've decided that you're going to get flustered because a new game was released that isn't identical to Origins.  Every time a sequel is released that isn't identical to the previous, there are people like you to cry RUINED FOREVER and I just don't get it. "

I don't know where you are getting this entitled attitude from. Maybe you're just an asshole. Dragon Age 2 isn't identical. It isn't even in the same stratosphere. The guy himself says that it's a completely different game.  

How would you feel if a restaurant said "OK guys we all know you like tomato soup and no one makes it anymore. So here's what we are going to do! We are going to celebrate the good old days of tomato soup and bring it back! Yeah! Go us!" So we all get really excited and eat the tomato soup. It's great. We love it. Then, later we come back and they say "Oh, sorry, bud but tomato soup sucks. Everyone likes mushroom soup now!" Then you look around and see a scad of restaurants that serve nothing but mushroom soup when all you want is a little tomato.  We all get a little upset.

I know they don't owe me anything but I feel a little betrayed when they make a game designed specifically for reviving a specific type of game, then make the sequel entirely different and casually dismiss everything about the first. If this game wasn't called Dragon Age, I would be 100% okay with this game. There's no reason for this to be called Dragon Age 2.  

@Jack268:
     HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME POSTING THIS PICTURE WITHOUT READING THE THREAD! AM I COOL YET? "
    No, this is you complaining that they didn't make Tomato Soup 2 the way you wanted.  Tomato Soup is still on sale, you can still get Tomato Soup.  Your analogy falls completely apart.  And don't call me an asshole.

Once again, I'm sure a version of you showed up when Resident Evil 4 came out.  Why isn't exactly like Nemesis and Resident Evil 2?
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Wrighteous86 said:

" Unfortunately, this game is still going to sell millions, continuing the downward slide in interactivity in WRPGs. "

As opposed to what? JRPGs where you press X to continue and then continue to press X? 

People hate on games like Dead Space 2 for changing too little, and they hate on Dragon Age II for changing too much...sometimes I get the feeling that people just like to complain. 
    Edit: Game devs wind up in this lose-lose scenario where they're always going to be pissing SOMEone off. Frankly, I'm glad Bioware is still making the games they want to make rather than listening to these people who will NEVER EVER be satisfied. People complained (without playing it, of course) that DA: O was too "mainstream."
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Brodehouse: Are Fallout 3 and Oblivion basically the same game but with different settings?  Yes.  The key difference is the setting -- which goes on to affect the difference between guns and melee combat.  Everything else about the design of those games, is the same.  If it weren't for the setting, you could easily confuse Fallout as a sequel to Oblivion.   Most people accept this.  Following that logic, Dragon Age 2 is more of a sequel to Mass Effect 2 than it is to Origins, because it copies the design of the game almost exaclty, aside from the setting. You failed to address my point that playing as a Mage in DA2 will be exactly like playing as a Biotic in ME2, since that is a more easily grasped concept for you.  Explain how a Mage and a Biotic is different, and if you can do that, I'll concede my point. 

When I say they don't make games like the early 00s, I was responding directly to someone's point (I think yours).  They don't make WRPGs with an emphasis on custimization and strategy and genuine roleplaying.  Now they  make tend to make action games where you choose between good, neutral and evil choices.  Dragon Age Origins was more of the former, the sequel is more of the latter.  I don't think that is progress, it's just change because the latter is more popular now.  You're arguing that popularity makes it better.  I guess that means Call of Duty is the best game series of all time? 

I'm not saying games can't change.  I am saying that sometimes when games change, they leave behind valid alternatives.  Dragon Age 2 is changing to be more like Mass Effect, but I already have and love Mass Effect, so now I have no games that are like Dragon Age Origins.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.