Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

30 hours in Inquisition and I still find it boring.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Raspharus

Ok so I see a pattern here, with bioware games. The same exact thing happened with ME1 and ME2. I play it for a while(like 15-20 hours), try to like the universe/story/setting, and then get bored, quit and never go back. Which is truly a shame because I am sure that the games are great, both Mass Effect and Dragon Age. It's just the fact that everything seems so fake and unbelievable to me, it's crazy. Like I can't bond with the characters, I can't grow to care about the story/setting. To give you an analogy, it's like you never get to care with the story/setting in Battlefield Hardline/COD campaigns.

On the inquisition part, the story didn't catch me at all. Like I have 33 hours and I still can't understand all of it. I'm sure it is due to the fact that I haven't played the other games. The only, truly GOTY moment that impressed me in inquisition was that crowd singing once you are close to skyhold. Like for me the game seemed as it showed the best that it can do, right there. Idk, the world seems lifeless, in all bioware games that I played. It's even worse than Batman, for me at least.

I don't know maybe I am doing something wrong or I got the wrong view. I have given the thought that maybe the way bioware games are executed is not for everyone. Which is kinda weird since their games get so much praise from everyone, and they truly look like good triple a games.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Like the old saying goes, "Different strokes, for different folks."

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

You don't have to like the same stuff other people like. It's ok.

Like the old saying goes, "Different strokes, for different folks."

Accurate.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

33 hours is a long time to spend on something boring. But hey, if you really don't like it then I think its time to give up now.

I find that Bioware brings characters and the setting to life better than anyone in the business. Their story writing as of the last 10 years isn't the greatest.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should stop playing that now, you've almost played it for an entire work week. Go have fun with something else.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It doesn't improve.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I never made it through that game, I got to the point about where you got to and kind of gave up.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Draugen

It seems that Bioware games aren't for you, my friend.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey man, unplug!

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So stop playing it.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odd, I don't have that with all Bioware games at all. ME1 I never got bored but DA:I is just boredom city to me.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I stopped playing it at around 30 hours. The Witcher 3 is about 254 times better.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have really liked pretty much every modern Bioware game (yes, even Dragon Age 2), but Inquisition just bores me for some reason. It has me a little worried about Mass Effect: Andromeda.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By edgaras1103

You might try a little game called The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt, people say it is a bit better than dragon age.

As for dragon age inquisition. As I played it I felt good up until midpoint and then everything fell appart , the ending is so bad. I think one of the reason that the world felt sterile because it was not open world, it had zones without dynamic time of day, without npcs doing their routine stuff like sleeping, working, these zones looked nice but that is all. I realized playing witcher 3 how utterly disappointing was dragon age inquisition.

I liked first 2 mass effect games a whole lot. I prefer ME over ME2 personally even tough I know second one is a better game. It all comes down to writing, characterization, dialogue and such. And man, I hope andromeda will be as far from DAI template as possible

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're not alone. I've beat most of the modern BioWare games because people always talk about how good they are. I even did all of the character side quests in all 3 mass effects, but man I did not give a puppy about any of it.

I got to about the same point you did in Dragon Age and my buddy told me I was only about a third of the way through the story. It was then that I decided BioWare games aren't for me and I uninstalled it. As others have said, you don't have to like things that other people love.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Though while it does seem BioWare games in general aren't for you, Inquisition is still on the lower end of the spectrum regarding their most recent releases. In fact I'd say it's at smack bottom even... For all of the problems I have with DAII and ME3, I still ultimately completed 'em both twice, whereas merely getting through Inquisition the one time was a struggle.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rethla

"Its even worse than Batman"

Awesome, put that on the box :D

Its really not the best story or characters or world or anything. The game is about the sum of all parts and if you play 30hours and dont like it you kind of has seen all it has to offer so just shelf it at that point.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The boring filler quests and static world almost killed that game for me, until I decided to just do enough to meet the main mission level requirements. I own every Bioware game, and still play some once every year. But Inquisition was really hard for me to get through.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I want to play this game since it did review pretty well but I'm afraid I won't be able to enjoy it after playing the witcher 3. I'm almost certain that TW3 eclipses DAI in every single aspect imaginable even though I haven't played DAI yet. It's such a big time investment that I want to be certain I will enjoy it before starting.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By MEATBALL

I loved doing just about everything in the game, personally, but I can totally see why it wouldn't be for plenty of people and many of the criticisms levelled at it are perfectly justified. You've sunken 30 hours into the game, and you're not enjoying it, you really shouldn't feel like you're wrong or you need to keep playing until it clicks. You don't like Dragon Age Inquisition, that's cool. :)

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DA:I was okay because it filled the next gen RPG void last year. It is not a great game by any means though, and I wouldn't spend more than a few hours playing it if it came out now.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I envy someone with the time to play a game they don't enjoy much for 30 hours!

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
    Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why play something you don't like?

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Justin258

Different people like different things. I can always admire an effort to try to understand a game's positive qualities, but 33 hours in something you aren't really enjoying is too much. Go do something else.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raspharus: It never gets better. I beat it out of love for the first 2 DA games, but man was DA:I a horrible, sad excuse for the next game in that series.

They took everything good about the first games, and threw it aside, more or less. The "tactical camera" aspect was awful. they took the mindless button mashing combat of DA2...and made it worse! Character control felt way worse then DA2, and the combat felt just as one button mashing. I barely used skills, never changed characters.

Throw that together with a cast of characters I care NOTHING about, a main villain that was a mini boss in a side-quest dungeon of DA2, and following the late Bioware train of saying "oh your choices from previous games? Fuck em this is the way the story went" just angered me. Hell in my DA universe, Lilliana was dead! I guess I should have known this was coming since DA2 was less then stellar in comparison to DA:Origins, but still...I didn't think they would fuck this game up.

I was really upset I digitally downloaded this game for the PS4, cause I would have traded this game back in a heartbeat. Instead I just got the pleasure of deleting it from my PS4's hard drive.

I really don't understand how people enjoyed this game. I know people like different things, but everything about DA:I seemed just horrible. The fact some outlets gave if GOTY makes me laugh my ass off, and re-enforces the fact that marketing trumps all. That, and being the last big game released 2014.

I know it's a different team and all, but seeing how DA:I shaped up REALLY makes me skeptical of Mass Effect Andromeda. ME is one of my favorite game series, if they fuck it up It'll be heartbreaking.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By MEATBALL

I really don't understand how people enjoyed this game. I know people like different things, but everything about DA:I seemed just horrible. The fact some outlets gave if GOTY makes me laugh my ass off, and re-enforces the fact that marketing trumps all. That, and being the last big game released 2014.

This just makes you sound like a jerk.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: Thats fine. It still mind boggles me. For all the outcry and negative reactions DA:2 got, DA:I seem like more of the same, yet some people seemed enthralled by it.

And when it won GOTY...i mean come on. A lot of good games came out last year more deserving.

Stated again however, opinions.

Trenox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Trenox

Game kinda IS boring but its Bioware and it looks competent so that gets it a long way.. I do like some of the major story beats and seeing a new area for the first time, but those really are the highlights.

I would recommend playing Witcher 3 instead.

edit: just saw that you already played that. Dont really know where to go from W3 though? Wait for fallout4 ? ;)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it kinda saddens me the sort of backlash it's receiving now after its quite positive reception around release. i guess people are (maybe unfairly) comparing it to Witcher 3 or got past the honeymoon stage. i quite enjoyed my time with it but admittedly should go back (i had just finished In Your Heart Shall Burn as well, which i agree was a good high point but i also stopped there for some reason). I also liked the whole time travel business earlier, but i don't know if they'll make good on it or not, and i dug quite a few characters if mostly on a surface level (Dorian's pretty rad though). Sounds like you already gave it a fair chance. Maybe Pillars of Eternity would be up your alley if you like those style RPGs?

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Raspharus

@trenox said:

Game kinda IS boring but its Bioware and it looks competent so that gets it a long way.. I do like some of the major story beats and seeing a new area for the first time, but those really are the highlights.

I would recommend playing Witcher 3 instead.

edit: just saw that you already played that. Dont really know where to go from W3 though? Wait for fallout4 ? ;)

hoho I am definetly waiting for fallout, but to tell you, no I didn't compare it to the witcher 3. Mainly cause there was no Witcher 3 back when I played it. Long story short I got the game in april. Played for like 30 hours, found it boring, meanwhile GTA got launched, got into that, and then the witcher 3. Now when I came back pumped up to try it again, it hitted me with a snoozefest.

@ripelivejam Well I guess it's due to the fact that the rpg scene was kinda missing for the next gen consoles back then, so people had to make the best out of "nothing". Also it was either this or Shadow of Mordor, which was good indeed, but not truly an rpg, more like an action game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: He's right though; sites which awarded GOTY to Inquisition should feel embarrassed.

Ngilko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ngilko

I enjoyed Inquisition but it has many, many faults.

I have always really enjoyed the setting of Dragon Age, the lore, mythology etc,really enjoyed origins and even played through DA2 a few times (as I enjoyed seeing how THEDAS's story progressed) but most of the fun a got out of inquisition was in seeing how that over arching narrative which I'm heavily invested in progressed. If you strip it of that narrative it's just a decent Rpg. So I can kind of see where your coming from.

In terms of it being critically lauded, firstly lots of the critics will be invested in Thedas, like me, in which case it is a lot of fun. You also have to understand the context in which it was released. In short not exactly a vintage year for video games, and more importantly close to the release of games like Destiny and Unity.

Both those games left a lot of people with bad tastes in their mouths, and in many ways inquisition felt like a proper big video game with lots of content and by in large it worked (or got fixed pretty quickly) so yeh, it was actually helped by the games around its perceived and actual failings.

All in all, an odd one. I certainly enjoyed it at the time, but looking back and after the release of things like Witcher 3 and Bloodbourne I actually seems like a very "last gen" game to me, and as a cross gen game it kind of was.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

I loved Bioware back when they made actual RPGs - Baldurs Gate, KOTOR, ME1, Dragon Age Origins

Things started getting a little rocky for me when ME2 (great game, not a great RPG) came out. ME3 disappointed me.

Even though I agreed with all the criticisms of Dragon Age 2, I still finished it but I struck out about 35 hours into Inquisition. Superficially it seemed like a return to form - More diverse environments, more actual RPG-ing - but below the surface I found the game to be exactly the same kind of chat-em-up with levelling that had been gnawing away at me since Mass Effect 2.

It's probably the last time I'm going to say to myself "maybe this game will be more like the Bioware I fell in love with" and accept that they've turned that corner for good.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

couldn't agree more, but you don't have to try and like some because some others do- I loved DAI, hated 2, and thought DAI was going to be great. Played it for about 7 or 8 hours hoping it would improve and it didn't. As for Mass Effect, I enjoyed 2 the most(didn't finish 3), the first I liked at the time but I can never stand shooters that use RPG reasons as to why the shooting is shit in a game. ME games character wise, only a few ever stood out that I liked for the most part, though, and still wouldn't say I anything more than "liked" them.

Bioware's habit of everything being so easily black and white, especially with how Dragon Age started in the first game, not having the ME bullshit of a simple good and bad decision all the time, eventually all fall into that place. I can never take it seriously: Hey do you wanna be the nicest saintliest person ever, or a total dick/evil asshole!. Makes it really hard to take seriously because its so unrealistic, in a game thats supposed to be about YOU making decisions.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Bioware back when they made actual RPGs - Baldurs Gate, KOTOR, ME1, Dragon Age Origins

Things started getting a little rocky for me when ME2 (great game, not a great RPG) came out. ME3 disappointed me.

Even though I agreed with all the criticisms of Dragon Age 2, I still finished it but I struck out about 35 hours into Inquisition. Superficially it seemed like a return to form - More diverse environments, more actual RPG-ing - but below the surface I found the game to be exactly the same kind of chat-em-up with levelling that had been gnawing away at me since Mass Effect 2.

It's probably the last time I'm going to say to myself "maybe this game will be more like the Bioware I fell in love with" and accept that they've turned that corner for good.

Mass Effect 2 was far, far more of an RPG than the first game by any metric.

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to the club, I think the combat is insufferable.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@three0nefive: Tell me why you think it's far far more of an RPG.

Less customisation and fewer skills made some people happier, but not me. Its combat is hugely more satisfying but what they removed didn't make up for it, for me. Like I said, I think ME2 is a great story driven action game, just not a great RPG.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dave_tacitus: More player agency/story-relevant choices, greater focus on your party in a context other than combat, etc.

ME1 has more RPG elements vis-à-vis combat and character creation (though so many of the Talents in ME1 were completely meaningless), but taken as a whole it didn't really amount to anything more than a shooter with weapon stats.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect 2 is by far Bioware's best game. A lot of people who brought the magic to Bioware aren't there anymore. Casey Hudson and the doctors are missed greatly. Dragon Age: Inquisition is fine though. Not sure if I'd give it three or four stars.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have to agree with most here: Maybe Inquisition isn't for you. I had a few friends get put off by the "simpleness" of the combat compared to the first but they at least agreed that it was more entertaining than the second game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even think I made it ten hours.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.