Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

A Giant Bomb review

Avatar image for deactivated-636bebd19e766
    deactivated-636bebd19e766

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Will Giant Bomb review this game ? is there somewhere on this site where i can see, if this is a game they are gonna review.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@jay75: Rorie said a review would go up early in the week. By Rorie. Nobody else really cares about the game, and Jeff certainly doesn't care for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-636bebd19e766
    deactivated-636bebd19e766

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy the Giant Bomb reviews, so will look forward to the review. Thank you for the reply.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4  Edited By impartialgecko

@alistercat: Me and Jeff are in lock-step on that one, but I do want to read Rorie's overall thoughts on the game.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#5  Edited By StarvingGamer

Sorta makes me wonder what will happen to this game during their GotY talks. Depending on who participates it could end up on the site's top-10 or end up not getting mentioned at all.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@starvinggamer: I think Patrick said that he wanted to play it , so hopefully hell get a chance to so it won't be too under represented in the GOTY talks.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wish Dave was around to review it :(

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorta makes me wonder what will happen to this game during their GotY talks. Depending on who participates it could end up on the site's top-10 or end up not getting mentioned at all.

I don't know how good/bad the game is but in either event I bet 10 bucks it won't be mentioned in any meaningful way.

TheShrubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entreri10 said:

@starvinggamer: I think Patrick said that he wanted to play it , so hopefully hell get a chance to so it won't be too under represented in the GOTY talks.

Yeah, I wouldn't really count on it. Probably will get mentioned, but won't even make the list since nobody is really interested in the game. Which is a shame, cause I'm super hyper for it!

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Mcfart

Vinny really should've reviewed it :(. Yes, Dave reviewed DA:Origins, but Vinny fell in love with it later on, and he still works at GB...

I don't mind Rorie, but he seems to be a PC-only, nitpicky fellow...more so then most PC only people lol

Plus based on the QL it seems like Rorie only played some DA2...not Origins.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bongchilla

I'm glad that Rorie is reviewing it. Right now Rorie is the only staff member that seems to be interested in the games I'm interested in. I love RPG's in any form and it seems like the rest of the crew doesn't like them in any way.

I really miss Dave on the site and I've been loving the Icewind Dale playthrough he's doing with Ian.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

Vinny really should've reviewed it :(. Yes, Dave reviewed DA:Origins, but Vinny fell in love with it later on, and he still works at GB...

I don't mind Rorie, but he seems to be a PC-only, nitpicky fellow...more so then most PC only people lol

Plus based on the QL it seems like Rorie only played some DA2...not Origins.

Vinny had a new kid and they are moving to a different office this week, i really doubt he has 80 hours to sunk in any game.

Rorie has played both the previous DA (he didn't like much DA2) and numerous RPGs; he seems to really like DA:I, the only problem is that i don't know if he will be present at the goty discussion.

Anyway here you can view his stream of about 2 hours of gameplay and answers to chat questions about the game. You can get a better sense of what are his thoughts from it

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@jay75: Rorie said a review would go up early in the week. By Rorie. Nobody else really cares about the game, and Jeff certainly doesn't care for it.

I can't remember the last game this year that Jeff DID care for though, to be honest.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Snail

The reviewer illustration better be a pupp-- oh wait. Um... The review better assign zero to five puppies!

Is this Rorie's first review on the site?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knowing how long the GB guys take to finish long ass RPGs, I'd say that this game is gonna have a hell of a time getting recognition for the GOTY talks. The only long game I can recall that was released really close to GOTY time that they managed to play through was Skyrim. Was there anything else?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disappointing because the impression I've gotten of this game from any RPG fan is that it's mindblowing, but a bioware rpg set in traditional high fantasy doesn't seem to appeal to any of the guys apart from rorie, patrick and vinny.

Kind of strange that brad isn't at least somewhat interested in it since he was such a mass effect fan. Really it is strange since most of them played a good bit of mass effect you'd think they would at least look into bioware's next work. Is the fantasy setting so damning? I didn't find mass effect's setting especially compelling, apart from being different since it was sci-fi which they'd not done since kotor.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cooljammer00

@alistercat said:

I can't remember the last game this year that Jeff DID care for though, to be honest.

Call of Duty.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Dave doing a guest review would be fucking amazing...but I'll take Rorie.

They should have guest reviews if they are willing. Brad's girlfriend offered to write something up about the last animal crossing, that would've been cool to read.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince said:

@alistercat said:

Call of Duty.

Yeah Jeff and Dan will probably advocate for COD being GOTY if Far Cry 4 doesn't impress them enuf.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

Disappointing because the impression I've gotten of this game from any RPG fan is that it's mindblowing, but a bioware rpg set in traditional high fantasy doesn't seem to appeal to any of the guys apart from rorie, patrick and vinny.

Kind of strange that brad isn't at least somewhat interested in it since he was such a mass effect fan. Really it is strange since most of them played a good bit of mass effect you'd think they would at least look into bioware's next work. Is the fantasy setting so damning? I didn't find mass effect's setting especially compelling, apart from being different since it was sci-fi which they'd not done since kotor.

The DA games are not what most hard core RPG fans are looking for, but they're decent action-y RPGs and good fun if you go into from that perspective. I'm also surprised Brad isn't interested, though I'm perfectly happy with Rorie doing the review. Especially since he'll likely play it on the PC.

Avatar image for myelbowsfelloff
    MyElbowsFellOff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be pleased with a Rorie review, I didn't know he did reviews. He seems to like the same RPGs that I do - even if Inquisition isn't as hardcore as Wasteland 2 or Divinity: Original Sin - his perspective is more useful to me than the majority of other reviews I've seen from people with a pretty ordinary background with RPGs. Patrick seems to be getting on board but is still a newbie.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@myelbowsfelloff: I want to say this wouldn't be the first review type thing Rorie has done, but I might be thinking of his Dark Souls piece.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't see Jeff, Brad, or Dan finishing this game regardless of how high quality or interesting it is. So I doubt we will hear about it much in the game of the year discussion. This does seem like a game that Patrick would get into and really enjoy so maybe he would finish it.

This is an epic, character dense rpg with a lot of interacting systems and mechanics. I found Dragon age origins to be a great game that became fantastic as I invested more time into the game. A real rpg like this is a slow burn and it requires some amount of patience and reading ability to understand the world and stuff. You could finish the COD:AW campaign like 3 times before you're out of the opening introductory areas in DAI. Its just not going to be to everyones taste. I thought mass effect 2 was brilliant in that it was a game that had some of the scope of a real rpg but also was enjoyable in bite sized chunks if you wanted. That said, I'm glad to hear that DAI is not like ME2 and that it is as epic and uncompromising as it should be. Not every game needs a huge action set piece every 30 minutes to be engaging to me.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Well, if Vinny manages to convince his wife that no one needs doorknobs (or doors for that matter, NY is a safe place, right?), I'm pretty sure this will at least make his personal top 10 list.

Also I hope Rorie's review will be up soon, I mean I pre-ordered and am just waiting for it to unlock on PS4 now, but I still want to read his thoughts.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kishinfoulux

It will get shafted like The Witcher 2 did. Vinny was pretty much the only one who played it and it was impossible for him to argue for it. They just gave him the benefit of the doubt. It's my biggest beef with their GOTY stuff. They don't cover all their bases. Jeff has already dismissed it, and everyone else will just look at it and say "too long can't bother". I'm not saying it would win or anything if they all played it, but it definitely looks top ten worthy, at the very least.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Several of the comments in this thread don't make a great deal of sense. First of all, let's consider what Giant Bomb is. It's not a review site; it's an entertainment site. There are literally hundreds of places that you can go to read a review about DA:I, but few (if any) that provide the entertainment that GB does. DA:I is scoring well almost across the board, with a 90 on Metacritic at present. So for those of you seeking validation that other people think the game you like is good, there it is. So please spare us snide comments about Call of Duty (which, BTW, won't win GBs game of the year or even come particularly close) and whining about how the staff apparently doesn't like RPGs (which is b.s.; see: Shadow of Mordor, Souls games, et al.). Expecting the entire GB staff (or even most of them) to all play through a lengthy game released in November in its entirety by year-end WHILE producing all the other video content, podcasts, etc. covering the glut of year-end releases is fairly asinine. Moreover, wanting to pick and choose who reviews it based on who you think will like it the most is incredibly entitled and insecure. If you enjoy a game, is that not good enough? Do you have to be told how you feel or told that your feelings are "right"? Or worse, do you actually expect to have your opinions regurgitated to you?

The GB staff is composed of people with professional and personal obligations. The time demand of considering a game like this for GOTY which releases this late in the year is fairly unrealistic. Sure, you may be really into this ONE game and have the free time to play the hell out of it, but the GB staff can't exactly do that. Given that so many publishers release games this time of year, if they spent as much time on DA:I as some apparently wish, they'd fail to cover a TON of shit happening in the gaming world, which would be a disservice to everyone. Not to mention that most people like to spend time with their families during the holidays, which damn well should take precedence over "covering all their bases" for a GOTY discussion that's fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. If this game released to great acclaim in June or something and they dismissed it, then some complaints would be warranted if it didn't end up in GOTY discussions. That's not the case. It's a large, deep RPG that releases in late November. Unless you want the 2014 GOTY discussion to occur in March 2015 or something, give them a break. Rorie will review DA:I shortly. I'm quite certain he will do a great job of it, and odds are he'll probably like it as most people do. Let's just not go apeshit if it doesn't get massive consideration in GOTY discussions for obvious reasons, please.

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By triplestan

As far as Game Of The Year goes, I'm going to reserve judgement until I've played it, and at this point I've pretty much given up on hoping that the guys will play games that I really enjoyed. To me GOTY is the reality television of Giant Bomb, I get to see what happens when the Bomb Squad stops being nice, and starts being real.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why everyone is taking the GOTY discussions so seriously anyway. It's not like once the game of the year is declared then everyone who agreed with the choice is given a million dollars and no one can ever say a bad thing about the game ever again. I just like to listen to the heated discussion from dudes who are passionate about and can articulate their enjoyment of their favourite games really well. It usually inspires me to try some games that I may have forgotten about or passed over due to limited time. Who cares if your favourite game isn't even mentioned in the GOTY discussion? You know it's good so go and enjoy it and talk about it on the forums.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entreri10 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't really count on it. Probably will get mentioned, but won't even make the list since nobody is really interested in the game. Which is a shame, cause I'm super hyper for it!

Yeah, it's a long game and Patrick has other games to play too. Even if he does finish it, it probably won't be before their GOTY stuff.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah Jeff seemed pretty negative about the whole thing during that Quick Look. Seems he's only been impressed by AW lately. Kind of getting a feeling what he'll be arguing for and against come GOTY.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimi3je said:

@asilentprotagonist said:

Same here buddy.

Dave took a screenshot on twitter of the Gamespot review where they said the combat was easy and said that that was the reason why he doesn't like current Bioware RPGs. Or something like that.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VierasTalo

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

@dimi3je said:

@asilentprotagonist said:

Same here buddy.

Dave took a screenshot on twitter of the Gamespot review where they said the combat was easy and said that that was the reason why he doesn't like current Bioware RPGs. Or something like that.

Dave was always a sucker for some hardcore tactical RPGing ala Icewind Dale II so no surprise there.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

@cooljammer00 said:
    @liquidprince said:

@alistercat said:

Call of Duty.

Yeah Jeff and Dan will probably advocate for COD being GOTY if Far Cry 4 doesn't impress them enuf.

Fuck, CoD vs sunset overdrive vs shadow of mordor sounds like a bad GotY discussion. I mean, I liked shadow of mordor but it was really limited and the main story was kinda bad. Couldn't care less about sunset overdrive and CoD.

Against those odds a 100 hour epic RPG with awesome tactical gameplay and great characters sounds like a breath of fresh air and a shoe in for game of the year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.