Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Can't decide on a class..

Keyoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Keyoke

Games been out for a few days now, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the classes? I'm grabbing my game tomorrow, and I'm divided between a Mage (Which I usually always play) or a Rogue.

Thoughts? Opinions? Looking forward to diving into this game..

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mage's have always been the most interesting in this series IMO. I wouldn't worry too much though, since you always have the option of playing your other characters. Or you could always jump into the multiplayer first and dabble with each class to get a taste.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I say go with rogue. I'm biased though since I played as a rogue in DA 2 and am playing one in DA:I and enjoying it. I just like shanking things in the back a whole bunch.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Mages were super broken the first game. I just started the second, and mages seem pretty fun. But since I don't have DA:I I suppose my input means little. Carry on.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no dual-wielding warrior (has Bioware never heard of a berserker?), so mage is the next best class, I guess.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keyoke: I've only played a rogue archer so far but it is quite fun!

@slax: The real diffcilty slider to DOA was how many mages you had in your party: 0 hard, 1 normal, 2 easyyyyyyyyy

groposo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By groposo

I played a dwarf rogue in origins, a rogue in 2 and I am playing a dwarf rogue again in inquisition. I usually play as a dwarf with an axe and a big shield, but in dragon age they never felt fun. I also hate playing mages.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm partial to hitting things with the biggest two-hander available, but that's just me.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

if you want to go hack and slash I'd probably say rogue since it gives you the ability to go bow or roll with a blade in each hand. If you're more up to fighting at a distance and possibly pausing game in order to aim your attacks probably go mage. Just a heads up I don't think there's no longer a healer support mage in the game and it's all damage with a few protection and buff spells for your party.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a 2 weapon warrior in 1, a mage in 2, and will prob go mage in 3. I am playing through DA1 right now as an archer however and its kinda boring atm

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By slax

@azrailx: Man, I should go back and play that game again. You are absolutely right, rolling over fools with my magic. I think I spec'd warrior mage or whatever when you hit 10 or something like that. I remember it being even more powerful.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@azrailx said:

@slax: The real diffcilty slider to DOA was how many mages you had in your party: 0 hard, 1 normal, 2 easyyyyyyyyy

Wynne and Morrigan FUCKED SHIT UP if you programed them correctly. Actually just Wynne. Morrigan you can let do what she wants.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't decide on a class? I can't even decide on a nose!

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried a few hours with each class but have spent about 12 with a sword/shield warrior, and I can honestly say I find all three classes' combat to be fun.

Mages: Sitting back and lighting things on fire never gets old.

Rogues: dashing around the battlefield and stabbing dudes like 'unh unh unh unh'

Warriors: Like rogues, but slower and and big fuckin' armor that makes you look ridiculous (in a good way)

obviously this is just my opinion.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

MY main question is: how cool is the armor for mages? I played a mage in DA:O and really enjoyed all the spells but man I hated those robes and hats. Is it better this time around?

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Rogues: dashing around the battlefield and stabbing dudes like 'unh unh unh unh'

I picked a duel wielding rogue and this has been my experience, and it feels pretty awesome.

My game so far - disappear in a purple cloud, run up to a dude, stab dude in the butt, repeat until dead.

So if you like going invisible and stabbing dudes in the butt, that's your class.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Is anyone cross-classing? Can you cross-class? I went with a sword/shield user and there's a few melee based abilities that are other trees.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no cross-classing. The game has three classes, each with 4 different trees (excluding specializations which are introduced later in the game). The Sword/Shield and 2-hand choices in the beginning only impact your starting weapon and puts one skill point in the respective tree. Same with the Rogue equivalents.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Go rogue.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anyone cross-classing? Can you cross-class? I went with a sword/shield user and there's a few melee based abilities that are other trees.

Every class has several trees of abilities. None of them are shared between classes, but if you're a Warrior there's no reason you have to stick to the sword and shield tree.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@thelastgunslinger said:

Every class has several trees of abilities. None of them are shared between classes, but if you're a Warrior there's no reason you have to stick to the sword and shield tree.

Awesome. I've only put points into Sword/Shield so far but I definitely want to start branching out.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bmccann42

Going Dalish bow equipped rogue - loved it in DA2, even though the battle against the Qun boss was strangely bugged for me every time I tried to complete it.

Avatar image for deactivated-591a5e1dc14fa
    deactivated-591a5e1dc14fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had the same problem. Settled on a mage for the versatility.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

MY main question is: how cool is the armor for mages? I played a mage in DA:O and really enjoyed all the spells but man I hated those robes and hats. Is it better this time around?

Heh. I don't have the game yet, but this is a concern of mine as well. I might just go rogue, assuming their gear is slick.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Narrow it down to the classes you like the most and then flip a coin. Or put all the classes into a hat, mix it up, and play the one you pull out.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I generally dislike Rogue characters, so if those are your choices, I would go with Mage. Mage's are actually really powerful in Dragon Age as well, but be ready to have yourself thrown into the story a bit more personally since it's a story of Templar's versus Mage's.

Funkupotamous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Archer starts off slow but gets extremely fun a couple hours in. I'm playing on hard and yet things have been fairly smooth the 5 or so hours I've played.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zeik

I generally dislike Rogue characters, so if those are your choices, I would go with Mage. Mage's are actually really powerful in Dragon Age as well, but be ready to have yourself thrown into the story a bit more personally since it's a story of Templar's versus Mage's.

My experience with Dragon Age: Mage > Rogue >>>> Warrior (Warrior's are soooo boring in DA.)

It's funny, because it's kind of the polar opposite of my preferences in most games.

EpicCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think 2H Warriors are quite fun, actually. You can dive into the thick of the fray, take some punishment, and dish it back out in a variety of ways. None of this hit-and-run creeping around the edge of a battle like a sissy rogue!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Roll a mage and call it Mordecai, I'm pretty sure it's free now since it's previous owner won't be going any further since the series has abandoned any pre-tense of being a CRPG of old :P

pubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roll a mage, then pick the best subclass - Knight enchanter

(level 15 knight enchanter gameplay here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gAXUTe82Sk&list=UUrYO6hjPXFrgyZThfq_CCQg if you wanted to see what being a badass was like)

Keyoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I replied this, but, guess it vanished. :)

Started playing a Mage, and I liked it. Started a Rogue, and well, it's the one. As to which specialization I pick later on, who knows.. just started playing.. Thanks for all the input. :)

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By gaminghooligan

So I am a crazy person and decided to run through the beginning of the game (up to the first zone at least) with each class and here's what I think of each.

• Mage: Great all around, ranged but seems to be okay with taking some damage, has its own dialogue choices. Kind of feels like they want you to play as a mage. However there are SO MANY mage party members and since I roll 2 fighter, 1 archer, and a mage it cuts a lot of party members out of rotation.
    • Two Handed: Can take all the damage, attacks feel like they have a lot of weight behind them. Looks like there's only one character that defaults to two handed in the party so it might be the best if you like rotating characters a lot. Weapons seemed a little to big on the character and looked kind of silly, if you play a Qunari they look okay.
    • Sword and Board: Didn't care for it all that much, since this isn't first person and I hated having to use a skill slot to block. Shields are awesome looking, but all the one handed weapons I found with decent damage were maces and axes. I want a sword. Also two of the best characters (IMO) in the game use sword and shield, so I will most likely avoid this class.
    • Dual daggers: Fast and deals a lot of damage with a focus on knowing when to get out of a fight. Parrying is nice, and it looks like there is only one character in the game that uses dual daggers. Might go back through as a Dwarf Rogue with this class.
    • Archer: This is the class I landed on, since I never play archers in games. Lots of fun, but I feel like a glass cannon. Also if I'm not using a skill my damage seems kind of worthless, but I love being able to turn invisible and sneak of to higher ground for the damage increase.
    Zeds_Dead_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zeds_Dead_Baby

I love playing my dual dagger rogue. Having Cassandra aoe taunt while I stealth behind lines and 2 or 3 hit enemy mages and archers is awesome.

I started as a mage but started over as rogue fairly quickly. No looking back now :) .

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played an archer in multiplayer which was fun. Lots of nice dodge attacks to keep you out of trouble.

Ended up going with a melee rogue in single-player, and it's cool so far! Got a nice counter-attack that doesn't use stamina if I time it right.

I'm usually a 2-handed warrior in Dragon Age games, but if I were to do something besides this rogue I think I'd go mage, purely for that Fade Step thing. Sounds awesome.

Keyoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya, I've been using the Rogue and I am enjoying it. Nice change for me since I always play Mages in RPGS. Though, when do you choose Assassin specialization?

vonsoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@keyoke: after you move the story along a bit. Rogue is great!

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I recommend dagger rogue. I chose two-handed warrior and deeply regret it. It was a lot of fun in the first two games, but they totally butchered it here. Soooooo slow and clunky. I've been having far more fun with Cole than I have with my own main character. Really wish you could change classes mid-game.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason to pick rogue, apart from straight up ganking fools for quad number damage, is that they wear medium armor. And I don't know about you guys but so far all the medium armor I've found has been really cool looking coats and jackets and shit. I feel like the most stylish elf in Thedas, rolling up on nobles and demons with knives strapped to my fly ass white coat. Rogues are pretty rad.

pubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pubbles

Gonna reiterate - you can be a medeival jedi with the knight enchanter specialization for mages. Just let that sink in.

Keyoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pubbles: Touche.

Loving the Rogue, but, I do miss playing a mage.. Though, you can easily switch between characters. Any thoughts on skills? I'm only Level 4 at the moment, with about 8 hours into it. Tomorrow is a free day from work (cough cough), so, I am sure to put in some good time tomorrow too.

Keyoke

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I try very hard to never ever pick the warrior type whenever I play class based games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.