Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Dragon Age 3 Will be Assembled from the 'Best' Parts of Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    BioWare co-founder and unflappable optimist, Dr. Ray Muzyka.

Has a more polarizing game been released in 2011 than Dragon Age 2? Whether it was the increased pace, changes to the battle system, limitation in scope, off-kilter storyline, or whatever else, few games of recent memory have split critics and players alike so far down the love it/hate it line.

Regardless as to whether you hyperbolically thought Dragon Age 2's direction for the series heralded the demise of BioWare as a maker of quality titles, or felt that it was a phenomenal evolution of style over the first game and superior in every way (those people do exist), you may find yourself unsure as to what to make BioWare co-founder Dr. Ray Muzyka's latest comments to PC Gamer. Speaking on the subject of the upcoming third game in the series, Dr. Ray made an attempt to assuage the fears of any players who may have been alienated by Dragon Age 2 by explaining that BioWare's current plan is to combine the best pieces of both previous titles into one drastically improved sequel.

“What we need to do as developers is take that feedback from both sets of fans to heart and see about marrying that in future games in the Dragon Age franchise. I think that the team has actually got a great plan. I think the team is going to have some things that are going to surprise both sets of fans, both core fans and new fans with a marriage of these… the best from both games, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2. And we look forward more to talking about that in the future.”

What, exactly, the "best" pieces of both games are, Dr. Ray was not terribly forthcoming on. However, he did address the dichotomous reaction to Dragon Age 2, chalking up some of the more negative reactions to a "misalignment of expectation" for those who simply expected another heaping helping of Dragon Age: Origins. Still, the negative feedback has not fallen on deaf ears, so sayeth Dr. Ray.

“One of the core values of Bioware is that we take feedback really seriously, and we know that the core fans who were expecting more Dragon Age Origins – we have to respond to that – we’re not willing to ignore that, we’re going to take that head on.”

While that statement may instill a sense of relief in those who felt slighted by such things as the more action-oriented combat and a perceived "dumbing-down" of the action, Dr. Ray's follow-up statement will probably shatter that relief into several jagged pieces.

“We also have an obligation to our new fans,” adds Dr. Ray, “the ones who were surprised and delighted with some new approaches and accessibility in terms of action and combat”

That low moaning sound you hear off in the distance is the sound of a confused and dejected Vinny Caravella, suddenly resigned to countless more hours playing a Dragon Age game he can't be certain he will even enjoy, but will continue to endure regardless of quality, out of some bizarre, completionistic drive ingrained within his very soul. Let's hope for his, and really all of our sake, that this turns out for the best.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

Has a more polarizing game been released in 2011 than Dragon Age 2? Whether it was the increased pace, changes to the battle system, limitation in scope, off-kilter storyline, or whatever else, few games of recent memory have split critics and players alike so far down the love it/hate it line.

Regardless as to whether you hyperbolically thought Dragon Age 2's direction for the series heralded the demise of BioWare as a maker of quality titles, or felt that it was a phenomenal evolution of style over the first game and superior in every way (those people do exist), you may find yourself unsure as to what to make BioWare co-founder Dr. Ray Muzyka's latest comments to PC Gamer. Speaking on the subject of the upcoming third game in the series, Dr. Ray made an attempt to assuage the fears of any players who may have been alienated by Dragon Age 2 by explaining that BioWare's current plan is to combine the best pieces of both previous titles into one drastically improved sequel.

“What we need to do as developers is take that feedback from both sets of fans to heart and see about marrying that in future games in the Dragon Age franchise. I think that the team has actually got a great plan. I think the team is going to have some things that are going to surprise both sets of fans, both core fans and new fans with a marriage of these… the best from both games, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2. And we look forward more to talking about that in the future.”

What, exactly, the "best" pieces of both games are, Dr. Ray was not terribly forthcoming on. However, he did address the dichotomous reaction to Dragon Age 2, chalking up some of the more negative reactions to a "misalignment of expectation" for those who simply expected another heaping helping of Dragon Age: Origins. Still, the negative feedback has not fallen on deaf ears, so sayeth Dr. Ray.

“One of the core values of Bioware is that we take feedback really seriously, and we know that the core fans who were expecting more Dragon Age Origins – we have to respond to that – we’re not willing to ignore that, we’re going to take that head on.”

While that statement may instill a sense of relief in those who felt slighted by such things as the more action-oriented combat and a perceived "dumbing-down" of the action, Dr. Ray's follow-up statement will probably shatter that relief into several jagged pieces.

“We also have an obligation to our new fans,” adds Dr. Ray, “the ones who were surprised and delighted with some new approaches and accessibility in terms of action and combat”

That low moaning sound you hear off in the distance is the sound of a confused and dejected Vinny Caravella, suddenly resigned to countless more hours playing a Dragon Age game he can't be certain he will even enjoy, but will continue to endure regardless of quality, out of some bizarre, completionistic drive ingrained within his very soul. Let's hope for his, and really all of our sake, that this turns out for the best.

stefaneus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By stefaneus

awesome :D

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

The Mass Effect team does a great job in listening to fans and changing the games to make them better.

I hope that the Dragon Age teams know how to handle this.

Applederp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Applederp

The only good thing that was in Dragon Age 2 was the combat system. So just bring that back along with EVERYTHING from Origins and the DA Dev team will be redeemed from acting like cocky assholes about their game. As well as expecting people who disliked Dragon Age 2 to spend more money on a piece of DLC that doesn't even change anything.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By sirdesmond

Yea, I'm hoping this means it will be about 90% DA:O with only a few bits and pieces from DA2.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6  Edited By MachoFantastico

There was good parts of Dragon Age 2? That's news to me.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Dany said:

The Mass Effect team does a great job in listening to fans and changing the games to make them better.

I sure wanted all that simplification.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Aetheldod

Dragon Age 2 is a good game , with the exception of the repeating dungeons I see no mistakes in it , but I do like DA:Origins as well so all I read here is win/win for me (as long as they keep the faster pace and uniqueness of the classes from DA2).

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kyrieee

DA2 had good parts?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By rjayb89

I was trying to come up with something clever, but couldn't, so take this:

Don't fuck up.

walterbennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By walterbennet

Making a great video game should not be like finding the perfect porridge for Goldilocks...

Kingloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kingloo

Dragon Age 3 is one of the most talked-about-while-technically-unannounced games in quite a while.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arker101

So, it'll just be Dragon Age origins then? Yay!!

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MideonNViscera

Just don't re-use the same 5 environments for every single quest, side or otherwise.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dany

@Tennmuerti said:

@Dany said:

The game was better in ME2 but they clearly went to far in stripping loot, xp, inventory and armour. They have acknowledged as such and word is that Mass Effect 3 will correct some of those wrongs.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Beaudacious

So they're going to make a mishmash instead of being creative, or good developers?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SomeJerk

Still think there was too much focus on combat, but if that floats your boat = I wish I could be you.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nekroskop

So nothing from DA2 and everything from DA1. Great!

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By Little_Socrates

Alex's articles always amuse.

Also, Catherine is more polarizing. It's almost more polarizing within an individual playing the game; people feel strongly one way or the other about DA2, while those who don't feel strongly about it just think it's okay. Those who are mixed about Catherine are in an internal war as to whether it's one of the worst or best games of the year, and it's infuriating.

SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#20  Edited By SpaceKangaroo

I have yet to even start playing DA2... I enjoyed the demo somewhat. I've left it too long now though and absorbed a lot of the negative feedback, it's nearing the end of summer, close to mega release holiday and the start of my third year in University.

Wooop.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Daveyo520

I will get it no matter what anyway. 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Enigma777

DAO's story, level design and inventory + DA2's combat and artstyle/graphics = WIN!

Elusionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Elusionar

If this game takes less then 3 years to make; It will be the same recycled garbage again... Variety people... Please variety. *Cry*

SefaRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SefaRed

I really don't see the sense in using a sequal to appeal to a different audience. The people that bought DA2 are the poeple that loved Origins. That's what sequals are for. If Bioware want to appeal to more people with a more accessable game do it with a new IP, rather than a follow up to a game that wasn't designed to be accessable.

And I think it might be a bit late to appeal to those who "just wanted more Dragon Age Origins" seeing as they were the audience mostly ignored last time.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NekuCTR

Come on doctors, you've played d&d; before, just make it like that but with a story that doesn't suck. Like the last one for exmple.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By metal_mills

@Dany said:

They just canned all the parts people didn't like. They could have fixed them instead.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ChaosDent

After being burned by Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 2 I am honestly no longer interested in supporting Bioware. They can say whatever they want, but I won't fall for it a third time.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dany

@Metal_Mills said:

@Dany said:

They just canned all the parts people didn't like. They could have fixed them instead.

It sounds like they will in 3 but yep they did go to far in just changing xp/loot and not trying to fix it.

Also, it has to be accounted on the type of game mass effect is now. It is a third person shooter with a very fancy RPG wrapper.

Avatar image for nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor
    nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Dragon Age origins and have not played Dragon Age 2. I got the ending that I wanted from Origins and I am not compelled nor do I feel like I'm missing out on something special by not playing Dragon Age 2. Basically I don't think I will ever play another game in this series no matter what they do.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vexxan

Good news I guess. Hope DA3 will be more DA1 than it is DA2.

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hashbrowns

The real root of Dragon Age 2's problems was its incredibly short development time.

DA:O had a remarkable amount of content, and that was due to the sheer number of man-hours that had been poured into it over several years. Unfortunately, its combat was even more awkward than watching a LARP event.

DA2 was really a victim of a rushed production, with a fundamental lack of content to experience, leading to repetitive environments and a general feeling of a loss in scope. The core combat system was an improvement over the original but, much like the combat in Mass Effect 2, is only just passable in its respective genre.

With more enjoyable combat with a much longer development time, Dragon Age 3 could be fantastic.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bioblood22

DA:O = Great Game       DA2 = Good Game        DA3 = So help me god if they fuck this up I'm gonna be so pissed I LOVED DA:O and had to trudge through DA2 with a scowl on my face most of the time.      Here's some advice to Bio, not that they'll ever really take it. DA isn't Mass Effect, the fact that you're trying to make it Mass Effect with swords pisses me off. I love ME, it's one of my all time fav series, but the thing that made DA:O what most see as AWESOME is that wile not being ME it was still amazing as it was. Bioware, DA isn't ME and that's what made it so fun to play, if I want to play ME guess what, I'll just play ME. DA:O, all the way...oh and Hawke sucked, just so you know.

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mitch0712

Why didn't they try to please us both times? 

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Azteck
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @Dany said:

I was thinking the same thing. I don't hold the Mass Effect team is as high regard as I used
    buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By buneroid

I didn't hate DA2 as much as most people. It had some major problems and the ending was kind of dumb, but I like the combat waaay more than origins, and the characters were great.

Avatar image for callofspartansofwar1337
    CallofSpartansofWar1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol wut wer da misaligned expetations? dat the second game wuld play like da first one and feel like a continuation instad of a side stoy? seems resonable 2 me but wut do i kno.

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By vendetta
    @bioblood22 said:
    DA:O = Great Game       DA2 = Good Game

Right on the money.
    Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

All parts DA:O, no parts DA2 would be the perfect game

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By abendlaender

Soooo.....what are the good parts in DA2 again?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By The_Nubster

Mass Effect and Dragon Age both suffered from the same things. 

"It's a bit too complicated, Bioware. Can you clean up some of these interface problems and adjust the combat?" 
    "How's this, guys? Do you like what we did? We did what you asked!" 
    "NO NO NO, TOO FAR!" 
    "Okay. . ."

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By randyf

The part where Dr. Ray says that a lot of the negative feedback was due to player's expectations really pisses me off.

"Oh, you don't like the same four environments over and over again, enemies who literally appear out of thin air to make the game longer, and a storyline that consists mainly of 'Hawke: The Errand Boy?' What did you expect!? We tried something different! Do you want us to make the SAME GAME!?"

Poor decisions that are different than the first doesn't automatically mean that it's better because it's different. If you want to change it up, improve on what you have and put in some new, good ideas. Not that I despise Dragon Age 2, but don't blame the consumer for the lackluster response.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Yep, Bioware is dead, at least for me. Oh well, i still have Bethesda and Black Isles....fuck.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

Well uhm thanks. I of course expected them to take the worst of both games and combine them into an abomination.

But these developers are so clever, they actually take what's good!

Stop stating the fucking obvious that goes without say.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dragonzord

Everyone's Fucking and Brown Mountains the Game had good parts?

HalfSunkBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HalfSunkBoat

Take the combat from DA2, throw in the map screen from DA:O, and have it take place in Orlais. That would be enough for me.

demell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By demell

I think this is a great announcement because the last two games set things up completely different and now we'll (hopefully) get to see the conclusion to each storyline and various characters. I'm a bit torn between whether we should get to play again as the Warden (don't want to play as Hawke anymore) or as a new character with both the Warden and Hawke in the game. 

As for the "best of both games" I actually liked the combat a bit more in DA2 only because it was a bit closer to Mass Effect and other action-RPG's than the slower gameplay of Origins however it did get old and unchallenging at the end. Also would like to see full voice acting for the main character continue. I don't want the name of my character to be limited to Hawke (it doesn't matter to me that other characters can't call me by my name) but I would like my character to have a voice and simply give me a few options of either gender to choose from. Aside from that all the other good parts should come from Origins with the exception of gifts.....the only gifts in the game should be for your love interest and therefore not be character specific. Instead the approval of your team should solely rest on conversation and choice decisions rather than buying their loyalty.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @halim51 said:

Take the combat from DA2, throw in the map screen from DA:O, and have it take place in Orlais. That would be enough for me.

No, no, it has to take place in Tevinter!
    Depth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Depth

Which part of DA2 was good?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#49  Edited By alistercat

I loves both games. Origins more, but I am glad they are looking at feedback.

Pessimisten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pessimisten

I hope they keep that dungeon from DA2... SICK BURN!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.