Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Dragon Age Inquisitional Thoughts

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Ford_Dent

WORDPLAY, y’all. That’s what I’m bringing to the table today. Also, some minor spoilers for the very beginning of Dragon Age: Inquisition—so if you’re looking to stay pure, leave now (and then come back later once you’ve gotten past the introduction).

Yeah there's the stuff right there yesssss
    Yeah there's the stuff right there yesssss

So last Thursday I found out all about the existence of a six hour early access deal on Dragon Age: Inquisition, if only I could be bothered to throw down five bucks to join EA Early Access or whatever it’s called for a month (Early Access membership would also give a five dollar discount on a copy of the game, and as I’d decided that this installment of the series would, as with its previous installments, be initially bought on something I knew could run it, I basically wound up paying full price for a game but got to play it early. Not a bad deal, if you ask me). The deed done, I fired up the game to see if it was, in fact, going to live up to the rather effusive reviews I’d seen sprinkled around the internet—Polygon with a 9.5, Rock Paper Shotgun with a “yeah this is good,” etc.

A bit of background: I’m a huge fan of the series—I wasn’t thrilled by Dragon Age 2, but I was willing to meet it on its own terms and came away having enjoyed myself (plus, the character interaction between party members, and indeed Hawk’s interaction with the various members of the party, were very strong regardless of the frankly inexcusable reuse of dungeons and environmental assets (the DLC was pretty good too)). I liked being caught in the middle of something over which I had very little control beyond trying to keep my companions safe through the madness—it was a nice counterpoint to the story of Origins; in one, you saved the world, and in the other, you couldn’t even manage to save your family, much less keep a city safe. It’s a topic I’ve written about before, so I won’t bother getting into it here.

I went into Inquisition having largely attempted to ignore much of the lead up to its release—beyond knowing that Morrigan would show up at some point, and that Varric would be back, I know very little about what’s going on. The game starts off in a very interesting manner—while Origins begins with a massive defeat and dishonor, Inquisition quite literally begins with saving the world. It’s a neat little spin on the way games usually start, and as my dwarven rogue groggily exited the cabin in which he’d been holed up in, post-world-saving, to find a crowd surrounding the cabin, and people claiming he was the Herald of Andraste—some holy woman dwarves don’t even believe in, much less give a shit about, the whiplash was palpable. The game, blessedly, realizes the fact that this situation is ridiculous, so my dwarf has, on several occasions, pointed out that he doesn’t even really buy into the whole Maker/Andraste thing, much less that he’s the herald of anyone, though he is, of course, more than willing to do what he can to prevent demons from running amok (especially because that helps keep the mark on his hand from getting any larger, and subsequently killing him).

Varric's chest hair also returns in Inquisition
    Varric's chest hair also returns in Inquisition
    Varric, your chest is so...hairy. We Orlesians are INTO THAT. *STOP READING MY FANFICTION, MOM!*
    Varric, your chest is so...hairy. We Orlesians are INTO THAT. *STOP READING MY FANFICTION, MOM!*

The six hour deal did not allow me to really advance the plot (it literally locks off everything but the first zone), but the first zone is so massive and chock-full of people to help, rifts to close, and ruins to explore that I burned through my allotment of time having hardly scratched the surface. One side-mission in particular, involving a missing Inquisition scout, was particularly amusing. I even managed to have several conversations with my newfound allies, all of which hinted at larger, more in-depth character arcs to be had as the game progresses. So far, I am most partial to Varric and Cassandra’s nigh-constant back-and-forthing, as Varric can’t seem to help but vex his one-time captor. He seems determined to not allow her to forget that she was his captor at one point, though the two seem to slowly be fumbling their way into something not entirely removed from friendship—though endearingly, Cassandra’s attempts to inquire into Varric’s personal life and the state of his friends from DA2 have suffered from a lack of tact on her part and a prickliness on his that outlines the fierceness with which Varric feels loyalty to his allies, which in time I’m sure will include our merry band of heretics (because the Chantry declared us heretics for declaring an Inquisition). I HOPE THEY BONE. I’m a bit less certain about the new mage fellow, although he seems harmless in his way.

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT THAT, HOW DO THE CONTROLS FEEL?

Pretty damn good, as it turns out! The tactical combat view could do with the ability to zoom further out than it does (it is difficult sometimes to see what is going on, especially when you’re fighting among trees), but it quickly became something I thought I’d only use a few times to something I’ve used in nearly every fight. It’s quick and easy to switch between characters, program in their next move, and then move on to the next thing. The AI is smart enough that you can kind of let it run for the most part, although potion use remains frustratingly difficult for them to grasp—even when you program them to use potions at x% health, they don’t always seem to do so (or maybe I just was burning through potions too quickly and didn’t notice). Fighting in real time is suitably chaotic, and while I opted to go for real time battle in smaller skirmishes (say, getting attacked by a few wandering Templars or apostate mages), I found myself dying with a stunning swiftness in larger battles. That may just be my poor situational awareness, of course, but I really do recommend learning to love the tactical view because it adds a depth to the combat that real time fighting just can’t match up to. Plus, people shout in slow motion, and that’s always fun.

IS IT BROKEN LIKE EVERYTHING THAT RELEASED THIS MONTH?

Nope! I ran into a bugged quest (the NPC refused to talk to me so I could give him the item he’d asked for), but a quick detour to do something else seemed to fix it. It was a minor frustration which I haven’t seen anyone else mention, so I’ll take that as a good sign. EA’s six hour limit also tended to crash the game as it attempted to launch, but then had to bring up the screen telling me I was down to x hours at the worst possible time, but, as I mentioned, that was part of the Early Access wrapper fucking things up and probably not indicative of the fully unlocked experience (it’s also possible that my Xbox was just being a piece of shit, as a cold restart seemed to fix everything). If the few bugs I ran into do happen to be something that happens for multiple people, that’ll be a real bummer, but I’m choosing to be optimistic about this.

Anyway, the takeaway from all this? Inquisition hits the ground running narratively-speaking, looks gorgeous, controls well, and promises to devour very large chunks of my life. I’m super-curious to see where the story goes (I know Morrigan’s involved somehow (I think she might’ve been the person who pulled me out of the fade), and my Origins playthrough had her knocked up with a god baby, so that could be super-interesting). We’ll see, in a month or two when I’ve finally finished the game and can have a think and write about it all.

AN: Yes, a day late this week. I blame my friends’ wedding, thus necessitating a later recording of our podcast, which really just threw everything out of whack. WAY TO GET MARRIED, FRIENDS OF MINE. GOD. Also did I mention I do a podcast? You can hear me ramble a bit more about Inquisition there.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MegaLombax

Received my PS4 copy yesterday and played it for an hour roughly, completing the tutorial bit of the game, I think? Didn't really complete the Dragon Age Keep (plan to do that for the next playthrough, maybe?). Also upon inserting the disc, there was an update required for the game, not sure what its for though.

Graphics wise, its a real beautiful game. The scenery was quite detailed and had lotsa things going on. Can't really say I dig the character models up close though, it's not as good looking as I had hoped but its a huge game, so I'm not really bothered. Had some minor framerate dips against the first mini boss, but nothing too severe to affect gameplay.

Gameplay wise, I love that the tactical view. Only gripe with it is that I can't seem to queue orders for the same unit (or maybe I'm just not doing it right). Also, I'm going to echo what a majority of people have said, the tactical view could use a zoom out function. Its much too close at times and can get messy. Inventory menu needs a bit of getting used to, as its not the most intuitive UI out there.

The skill tree seems to be a bit small-ish per class? Maybe it expands? I'm pretty early in the game, so not sure what to expect there.

So far so good. Looking forward to spending more time with the game.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The skill tree seems to be a bit small-ish per class? Maybe it expands? I'm pretty early in the game, so not sure what to expect there.

It's been a while since the first two, but didn't you open up class specializations at some point later in those games, with their own skill trees? Like, you could be a duelist or assassin rogue, or a blood mage, and stuff like that. Maybe that's why the trees look small.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Man while I did enjoy the supporting characters of both Dragon Age Origins and II I still can't get over the fact that Varrick is a dwarf with no beard. Dwarves without beards is like Elves without long pointed ears, the shiz doesn't make any sense.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By donchipotle

Man while I did enjoy the supporting characters of both Dragon Age Origins and II I still can't get over the fact that Varrick is a dwarf with no beard. Dwarves without beards is like Elves without long pointed ears, the shiz doesn't make any sense.

Varric's beard is his chest hair.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#5  Edited By tearhead

I'm pretty bummed at how underwhelming the "tactical cam" is for PC. It was so perfect in DA:O, and I was hoping this whould have been the return to form they were touting, but there's no auto-attack, the camera doesn't pull out that far, and when you come out of tactical cam it zooms back in on the character you are controlling. This is especially jarring when your trying to get a constant bird's eye view of the battlefield. The lack of proper if-then tactic set ups are also a bummer.

Also, does it drive anyone else nuts that you can't double click an object and have the guy automatically walk over there? I was really hoping this would be an all out strategic tour de force on the PC.

P.S: And what's up with not being able to bind mouse keys? Additionally, they don't show you the description of the skill or spell when you mouse over it on your skill bar. ARRRRGGGHHHH!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm starting to get concerned a little, about this DRM stuff I'm hearing about. Haven't seen concrete proof, but have read that it could possibly fuck up your hardware. :-/

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Crysack

I'm starting to get concerned a little, about this DRM stuff I'm hearing about. Haven't seen concrete proof, but have read that it could possibly fuck up your hardware. :-/

I don't really have any way to verify the claims but some people have been asserting that it writes and re-writes constantly to one sector of an HDD - which poses a major problem if you happen to have installed the game on an SSD.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MegaLombax

@gkhan said:

@megalombax said:

It's been a while since the first two, but didn't you open up class specializations at some point later in those games, with their own skill trees? Like, you could be a duelist or assassin rogue, or a blood mage, and stuff like that. Maybe that's why the trees look small.

Yep, I think I read somewhere that there are class specialization but this time around there's going to be just one class specialization per class, 3 specializations per class.(read from a thread on NeoGAF). In DA:O, I think my character had a Blood Mage and Arcane Knight specialization. Hopefully things will open up more as the game progresses.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's an initial thought. Character creation sucks. I don't see anyway to have just black hair. The hell? Not a ton of options. 40 minutes spent trying to make something that doesn't look awful. Not off to a great start game. :-/

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@crysack said:

@kishinfoulux said:

I don't really have any way to verify the claims but some people have been asserting that it writes and re-writes constantly to one sector of an HDD - which poses a major problem if you happen to have installed the game on an SSD.

Yikes, I wonder if that's a problem for Hybrid drives too.

wow what an awful choice by EA

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Steadying

Initial thoughts (they might seem bad, but I'm also overly critical about everything):

- Pretty awesome character creator.
    - Even in the prologue, the game is like, way more open than I was expecting. I saw an area that I thought for sure was just a background, but nope, you can totally run up that mountain.
    - What happened to the movement? In previous demos the camera was pulled in far closer and the movement looked really....smooth and realistic?, but the final game just feels like Dragon Age: Origins. It's hard to explain.
    - Why can't I navigate the menus with the dpad?
    - I really don't like the whole no healing magic thing. Having to have barrier up and build guard all the time is just...lame.
    - I am already getting tired of clicking the left stick in and I'm only 40 minutes into the game.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rethla

From this i take it the tacticala view doesnt paus the game but rathrr slows it down? Bummer :(

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@slag said:

@crysack said:

@kishinfoulux said:

Yikes, I wonder if that's a problem for Hybrid drives too.

wow what an awful choice by EA

just did some checking around on this, sounds very unverified to me. I wouldn't be too concerned without hard proof as of yet.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Any problems loading in the world state and stuff? One of the main things I'm worried about is this not working as I don't have time anymore for multiple playthroughs of games, so I want everything to load in perfectly for my first as it could very well be my only playthrough.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: I don't know man. I was able to make my female elf rogue, look damn close to Elizabeth from Bioshock... Which is actually kinda distracting.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

@kishinfoulux: You can totally get black hair in this game.

I've played it a fair bit and it's pretty good. It certainly doesn't lack in size, if that's what anyone is concerned about.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadying: Whats the deal with the slow motion dialogue then?

Fighting in real time is suitably chaotic, and while I opted to go for real time battle in smaller skirmishes (say, getting attacked by a few wandering Templars or apostate mages), I found myself dying with a stunning swiftness in larger battles. That may just be my poor situational awareness, of course, but I really do recommend learning to love the tactical view because it adds a depth to the combat that real time fighting just can’t match up to. Plus, people shout in slow motion, and that’s always fun.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cassandra's not Orlesian... She's Nevarran....that's all.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_ruiner: Shit, I knew I'd got something wrong. WHOOPS.

@rethla said:

@steadying: Whats the deal with the slow motion dialogue then?

Fighting in real time is suitably chaotic, and while I opted to go for real time battle in smaller skirmishes (say, getting attacked by a few wandering Templars or apostate mages), I found myself dying with a stunning swiftness in larger battles. That may just be my poor situational awareness, of course, but I really do recommend learning to love the tactical view because it adds a depth to the combat that real time fighting just can’t match up to. Plus, people shout in slow motion, and that’s always fun.

You advance the action by holding in the right trigger. If you don't hold it in all the way, it doesn't quite get to real time speeds.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played it a fair bit and it's pretty good. It certainly doesn't lack in size, if that's what anyone is concerned about.

The closest is like a super dark blue. I don't see anything that's just pure black.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@believer258 said:

The closest is like a super dark blue. I don't see anything that's just pure black.

Are you sure? There are a lot of colors to choose from and I remember trying to decide between black and dark red. Maybe my TV was just too dark? Or yours too bright?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.