Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Holy cow that UI is bad

• 83 results
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aronman789

I just watched this gameplay video (sorry no imbed I'm on mobile): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7xn6_hcBo9Y

I'd say it looks okay, the graphics are nice, I'm not a fan of the floaty walking and fighting animations or the flat out bad walking sound effects, but those are all minute things I can look over that won't ruin my experience, so I'd say it looks decent, right? So how come the menu and UI look so incredibly shit?

Incredibly bad and clashing color schemes, shitty generic boxes around everything, meaningless bars to show stats instead of numbers for no reason, and the character menu has them looking greasy and covered in as much shadows as possible. What the fuck guys?

Remember how stylized and intricately drawn the border around everything in Origins was? Why the fuck has that been replaced by 'futuristic' colored plastic?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Looks good to me. A lot of characters and objects do look too shiny though. But the UI is fine.

Reminds me of Skyrim, The Witcher 2, and Dragon Age 2 all mixed together.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't remember too terribly well because I never finished dragon age, but I always felt like a lot of weird stuff in those games was them attempting to reuse as many elements as possible (such as how really awkwardly weapons sit on characters) from Mass Effect while still putting a loot system on top of it. A lot of those menus and pop ups look re-stylized from Mass Effect 2 and 3. The only thing that really bothers me about it is how the party health bars look on the side, and thats largely because I don't understand it. I guess I also don't like that hes spamming that, "Make interactable elements visible," thing every second, those things should just be highlighted by default instead of pressing a key every second. It also bothers me in the Witcher 2.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'd like to say I've seen videos where a lot of the UI looks completely different from that.

That said I've noticed a lot of modern games going for that weird, completely clean, utilitarian UI design. Like Destiny for instance. From what I remember a lot of the menu's in Inquisition looked like the menu's from Destiny - transparent, plain boxes. No flair, no character.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looks fine to me.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#6 sweep  Moderator

As long as it's nice and snappy I'm not too fussed. I hate clunky menus.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sweep  Moderator

Also that dwarf has a crowssbow which lets him hookshot onto enemies and that's fucking rad. I know what class I'm playing as!

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This reminds me, I really need to finish Dragon Age 1 and 2 before this comes out. Impossible? Perhaps...

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

Also that dwarf has a crowssbow which lets him hookshot onto enemies and that's fucking rad. I know what class I'm playing as!

All I needed to hear, really.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This is the EXACT same complaint Dragon Age 2 got just before it was released. "This game looks like crap, why are the portraits square?!" The UI was the least of that game's problems.

Clashing colors for menus is hardly worthy of discussion. You want a bad UI go check out Fable 3.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems fine considering it's the controller/console version. The PC version seems ok as well.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thomasnash
    @bones8677 said:

This is the EXACT same complaint Dragon Age 2 got just before it was released. "This game looks like crap, why are the portraits square?!" The UI was the least of that game's problems.

Clashing colors for menus is hardly worthy of discussion. You want a bad UI go check out Fable 3.

Haha. That was the closest video game mechanics have gotten to "so bad its good." Every time you have to go to the map room you're just like "why would anyone think this was a good idea?"

As for the DA:I Video, I thought it looked fine until the combat started. It does look weirdly inconsistent to me in terms of colour and shape. The square icons in the bottom left sit weirdly with the circles everywhere else - Was that the case in the other Dragon Age games? I can't remember - and the green bars by the portraits look pretty ugly to me. I'm no graphic designer though...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@anywhereilay said:

This reminds me, I really need to finish Dragon Age 1 and 2 before this comes out. Impossible? Perhaps...

Nah...well depends on how fast (and what difficulty) you play. DAO is certainly a long game, but if you streamline the main story and do some of the side quests, plan on no less than 24 hours, maybe mid 30's. I remember doing pretty much everything in DA2 under 30 hours as well so you could potentially play both games before mid November. Unless you are Vinny then enjoy Inquisition next year.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sweep said:

I'm fairly certain that the same crossbow-wielding dwarf that was in DA2, and he had his own special crossbow with special powers, if I remember correctly. You probably can't play as him.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks fine to me. Not a fan of how the stat comparisons on gear are shown by bars instead of numbers, though. Maybe you can change that, I dunno.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sweep  Moderator

@gkhan said:

@sweep said:

I'm fairly certain that the same crossbow-wielding dwarf that was in DA2, and he had his own special crossbow with special powers, if I remember correctly. You probably can't play as him.

Fuck it then, I'm not buying it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: You actually can 'play as him' if you use him as the active character during combat. You just can't make a Dwarf Rogue archer with the same ability (we presume).

Minimalist, Mondrian-style design is the graphic design meme of our era. When you go back and see how ridiculous the gradients, patterns and fonts of the 90s are, realize all these clean, smooth edges will seem as dated and hysterical in 20 years.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karkarov

Watching this video the only thing I think outright is .... holy crap that is a terrible helmet for anyone, much less a "rogue". Also there are two other problems with this video. 1: Console version. 2: The guy playing it is playing more like it is diablo than it is an RPG, he is even bunny hopping everywhere. He just makes the game look bad.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@sweep said:

@gkhan said:

@sweep said:

You can't play AS Varric, but you can certainly have him in your party and control him like any other companion.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

Watching this video the only thing I think outright is .... holy crap that is a terrible helmet for anyone, much less a "rogue". Also there are two other problems with this video. 1: Console version. 2: The guy playing it is playing more like it is diablo than it is an RPG, he is even bunny hopping everywhere. He just makes the game look bad.

It's the PC version being played with a controller.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching that video again, the movement looks way more...arcadey? than it did in previous demos they showed off. I can't really describe it. It just looked better/more natural and weighty in previous demos.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Karkarov

@ulquiokani said:

@karkarov said:

I have seen the PC version before any the main HUD looked nothing like that. Hopefully they just have it looking that god awful when you use a controller. We already knew the inventory etc screens would be terrible, they always have been.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@ulquiokani said:

@karkarov said:

I have seen the PC version before any the main HUD looked nothing like that. Hopefully they just have it looking that god awful when you use a controller. We already knew the inventory etc screens would be terrible, they always have been.

Yep, the UI switches to that with a controller. The video even says it's the PC version running on Ultra.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy

There's no way that's final, the text looks like the default Notepad font and the jumping and general moving animations are absolutely horrid. When the name of an area comes up it looks so basic, I can't get over how bad that font is.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surely that is just placeholder UI. It is so flat and simple, like the sort of thing you'd see on a faked-up screenshot.

The party list looks like its from a bad mobile game.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sweep  Moderator

@brodehouse: @joeyravn said:

@sweep said:

@gkhan said:

@sweep said:

You can't play AS Varric, but you can certainly have him in your party and control him like any other companion.

TOO LATE I ALREADY CALLED IT

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Health bars look pretty terrible, rest of it looks fine/not awful enough to complain about. Game looks like Amalur but probably won't be as fun to play.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Eh.

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually think it looks a little better now compared to the E3 stage demo. Seems like they went from crazy pulsing clashing neon everywhere to a more basic clashing primary color scheme. The glowing around all the character portraits got a little distracting to me and I'm glad they toned that down. Still not fantastic.

Loading Video...

I love me some pretty menus, one of the reasons I like jRPGs so much I guess.

Feels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Feels
    @ulquiokani said:

@karkarov said:

Yeah man, I dunno. I want to get excited, but this video doesn't do much to inspire confidence. Looks bad indeed.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Looks fine to me.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To elaborate a bit on the problems I have with it: I feel the neon orange color of the inventory is jarring, especially with the much more colorful xbox buttons being displayed at the bottom. The menu wheel looks like an intern made it and the color is a puke green, I don't think I can even imagine a worse color to go along with the neon orange. Neither color fits into the environment at all, and the character model in the menu definitely doesn't; you have a brightly lit world covered in pastel colors and then the menus are all dark and 'spooky', covered in shadows and empty black chunks. Not to mention the texture of everything is a crappy smooth plastic, the least appropriate thing for a medieval fantasy game.

DA:O also had a 'plasticky' minimal UI on some things, but they had a very nice black and gold color they stuck with, and the inventory, menus, and lore were all in a big, bloody book. Looking at that compared to this it just looks like these guys have no idea what the fuck a UI is.

Funkupotamous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Combat looks great! I Can't wait to try it out.

The UI didn't bother me, I think its more of a style choice. Although I admit it probably doesn't match the game as well as it should.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I don't see a problem with it. This thread feels like hipsters complaining that every font isn't Helvetica.

Don't pretend like DA:O did everything perfectly, I loved the game but every piece of armor (at least for rogues) looked exactly the same except with a different colour scheme.

Low Level Armor vs Top Tier Armor

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rollingzeppelin: armor was pretty crap, yeah, you could even see some character models' faces vanish if you turned the camera the right way. DA:O was clunky and didn't look too great overall, but I'm talking about the interface. I don't give a shit about font, I care about colors, textures, and layouts. I've done a bit of graphic design for contests and websites before, and looking at that UI it kills me to think someone legitimately thinks that jumbled mess would be a good (nearly) finished product.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I weep for Dragon Age.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To elaborate a bit on the problems I have with it: I feel the neon orange color of the inventory is jarring, especially with the much more colorful xbox buttons being displayed at the bottom. The menu wheel looks like an intern made it and the color is a puke green, I don't think I can even imagine a worse color to go along with the neon orange. Neither color fits into the environment at all, and the character model in the menu definitely doesn't; you have a brightly lit world covered in pastel colors and then the menus are all dark and 'spooky', covered in shadows and empty black chunks. Not to mention the texture of everything is a crappy smooth plastic, the least appropriate thing for a medieval fantasy game.

DA:O also had a 'plasticky' minimal UI on some things, but they had a very nice black and gold color they stuck with, and the inventory, menus, and lore were all in a big, bloody book. Looking at that compared to this it just looks like these guys have no idea what the fuck a UI is.

To be fair the UI isn't great but it is okay, like I said, the biggest problem is just the way the guy plays he makes it look bad. This is why some let's players are good to watch and others you turn off, cause some people aren't good at showing the game, and or aren't good at playing them. Also his upload quality was pretty crappy in all honesty, I played it at 1080 and there was tons of artifacting and poor overall video quality.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@rollingzeppelin: armor was pretty crap, yeah, you could even see some character models' faces vanish if you turned the camera the right way. DA:O was clunky and didn't look too great overall, but I'm talking about the interface. I don't give a shit about font, I care about colors, textures, and layouts. I've done a bit of graphic design for contests and websites before, and looking at that UI it kills me to think someone legitimately thinks that jumbled mess would be a good (nearly) finished product.

Fair enough, I could see how you would get irritated by poorly done color schemes and all that if you have been educated on the proper way to do things. I don't think it will bother me though, thankfully. I just hope the game turns out to be fun.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vuud

Looks like a damn phone game.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The bigger issue I have is that the video reinforces my worry that BioWare isn't the trendsetter anymore, but instead slavishly copies elements from other games without really understanding them, and then does all of them slightly worse. For example, it looks like we can now jump. Granted, more mobility is good, and it removes the issue you have in other games when your character can't get over a two inch ledge, but man, that jump looks t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e. It's the most video gamey jump of all video gamey jumps. If it looks like that, they should just make Goombas an enemy type and put question mark blocks all over the place.

Also, the pulse that goes out from your character in the video. The Witcher, anyone? That's not even a good thing to steal, since the medallion item-find stuff is one of the worst parts of the Witcher. Why do you need a medallion, when you could just, you know, actually make your item highlights visible?

It's frustrating, because I know I'm going to end up buying the game anyway even if it's, as I suspect, crap, just to have something to play. Destiny isn't very good, and Shadows of Mordor isn't going to last me until the Witcher 3 comes out.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like it at first but after 10 minutes or so, stopped noticing it. I think when you're actually playing the game & aren't just focusing on UI elements you may actually come to like it =)

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DA Origins is free on Origin atm, if anyone is wanting to finish up that game before Inquisition. Great pickup that is. Yeah, I still don't know what to make of this game as a whole, I'm not sure whether it seems good or meh as of yet. I do know that I agree with the UI, no idea what they're thinking with that, i've seen it have several UIs over different videos. Just hope its not final.

Also why is someone playing a DA game on PC with a pad...so weird. I really hope they don't fuck the PC controls, and have it be able to work as good as origins did.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CaLe

This is the kind of UI I would try to make for myself in WoW. It's clean and doesn't have any excess frills or goofy theme to it, just how I like my UI. I do think the scaling on it is a bit too large, though.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as it's functional, I don't care. The UI in skyrim was gorgeous but man was it a limiting pile of flaming trash. Shortcuts for a maximum of 3 or 4 weapons, spells or items. I ginormous list of items in alphabetical order. It was an unusable but vital part of the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Other than the size of it just not looking right it doesn't bug me much. Just one of the things that doesn't bug me in games I guess.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By Milkman

I'm more offended by the combat and seeing these dummies playing this like an action game or some shit. Jumping over boxes, never pausing. Look at what you monsters have done to my Dragon Age. This is shameful.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Insectecutor

Looks like a cheap knock-off, like you see on Chinese iPhone clones. This can't be the shipping UI... It lacks consistency in shapes, colours and fonts. Speaking of fonts the kerning is bad, and they used all-caps for body text and mixed-case for headers. What a mess. I'm all for minimal design (see Destiny's UI) but this isn't that.

If you want to see more ugly HUDs, check out that Driveclub quick look.

Edit: In both cases the game behind looks nice, though. I'm just a stickler for this stuff :/

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@milkman said:

I'm more offended by the combat and seeing these dummies playing this like an action game or some shit. Jumping over boxes, never pausing. Look at what you monsters have done to my Dragon Age. This is shameful.

It's likely going to be how DAII was, where if you stick to Normal mode it'll essentially function as an action game, but any difficulty beyond that and you'll then have to actually play it like a DA game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.