How will Bioware handle the story after DA2 (no spoilers)?

• 147 results
#101 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Hailinel: and you know how hard coding in all of those origin stories in origins was? I'd rather them do one race if it makes the game better. Not that I'm saying DA2 was better, mind you, but it's definitely a large money/time sink that doesn't REALLY add a whole lot to the game besides flavor. As far as the phrases go, well, most of them hawke said basically what I wanted and I didn't seem like some creeper who never spoke outside of battle. Leliana even mentioned this to me in origins. I mean they can't really put the whole phrase in there because it might be two - three lines long. That's why it's only the gist of it. Is it perfect? no. Would I go back to the DA:O style? I dunno. They both have their advantages/disadvantages

I mean just because they released one game doesn't mean they should keep all or even most of it for the sequel. Do you want to go back to first person persona dungeons? DA2 was worse but you haven't even played it so how the hell do you know? I got it for 10 dollars and I got a mediocre game that was at least interesting to play through.

#102 Posted by TheHT (11768 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: what, speech? I identified with Hawke just as much as I identified with my grey warden, can't really see a big difference besides the speech thing.

Voice acting would have been fine if the dialogue options were as robust as in Origins. But the limitations of the dialogue wheel and the lack of a selectable origin and race were complete bollocks.

So everything you didn't want in Dragon Age was the wheel dialogue system and less character creation options.

Instead, you got a dialogue wheel and a singular origin story and race. Thus, Hawke sucks and fuck Dragon Age 2.

#103 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@Hailinel: Ah yeah that's true, I was thinking about something else.

Either way I don't think they give a shit about fan reactions. When pushed by fans to make a better ME3 ending, they made it even more confusing and bad. They're pretty out of touch.

#104 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: and you know how hard coding in all of those origin stories in origins was? I'd rather them do one race if it makes the game better. Not that I'm saying DA2 was better, mind you, but it's definitely a large money/time sink that doesn't REALLY add a whole lot to the game besides flavor. As far as the phrases go, well, most of them hawke said basically what I wanted and I didn't seem like some creeper who never spoke outside of battle. Leliana even mentioned this to me in origins. I mean they can't really put the whole phrase in there because it might be two - three lines long. That's why it's only the gist of it. Is it perfect? no. Would I go back to the DA:O style? I dunno. They both have their advantages/disadvantages

I mean just because they released one game doesn't mean they should keep all or even most of it for the sequel. Do you want to go back to first person persona dungeons? DA2 was worse but you haven't even played it so how the hell do you know? I got it for 10 dollars and I got a mediocre game that was at least interesting to play through.

Of course more complexity results in a game that requires more time and effort to code. I mean, duh. But just because something is easier to code doesn't mean that I should be inclined to want that from them. This argument has nothing to do with Bioware's coding skills or the length of a development cycle. I stated that I personally don't like what Hawke represents in Dragon Age. And of course things change from game to game. I don't expect sequels to be exactly like the games that came before them. At the same time, change the wrong thing or things, or remove things that I didn't want removed, and why should I be interested in the next game? Maybe you like Hawke, but I don't. I don't like the character, I don't like how (s)he feels representative of homogenizing Dragon Age game design into something more Mass Effect-ish, I don't like having the options that were in Origins removed rather than refined and expanded. End of story.

#105 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Hailinel: but you are hating hawke as a character when you don't even know them. Hate the fact that Bioware put in the dialogue wheel, but there's no need to hate Hawke too, as you haven't even played the game and have no idea what he or she is like. Tell me one thing you don't like about Hawke, as a character.

I'm not super crazy about Hawke either, she was a decent protagonist who had a pretty cool voice, but she was basically the same type of character as my origins character. Honestly I like hawke more than the grey warden because I at least get a semblance of personality from Hawke that didn't come from a specific choice I made.

#106 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: what, speech? I identified with Hawke just as much as I identified with my grey warden, can't really see a big difference besides the speech thing.

Voice acting would have been fine if the dialogue options were as robust as in Origins. But the limitations of the dialogue wheel and the lack of a selectable origin and race were complete bollocks.

So everything you didn't want in Dragon Age was the wheel dialogue system and less character creation options.

Instead, you got a dialogue wheel and a singular origin story and race. Thus, Hawke sucks and fuck Dragon Age 2.

You've been nothing but stupidly reductive with my arguments so far.

I don't like Hawke, no. I've already stated reasons for that. But my issues with Dragon Age II go beyond that. You know, things like the repetitive dungeon design, or the fact that Kirkwall never shows signs of age or change despite the game taking place over a period of ten years. Or the lack of an auto-attack feature at release and the ridiculous way that enemies spawn in waves. Or the fact that elves kind of look like those blue cat people from Avatar now with their new face structures.

And those are just some reasons, though I'm sure you'll find a way to be reductive once again in an attempt to discredit my opinion on the game.

#107 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: but you are hating hawke as a character when you don't even know them. Hate the fact that Bioware put in the dialogue wheel, but there's no need to hate Hawke too, as you haven't even played the game and have no idea what he or she is like. Tell me one thing you don't like about Hawke, as a character.

I'm not super crazy about Hawke either, she was a decent protagonist who had a pretty cool voice, but she was basically the same type of character as my origins character. Honestly I like hawke more than the grey warden because I at least get a semblance of personality from Hawke that didn't come from a specific choice I made.

Hawke's existence as a character is tied directly to the nature of the way (s)he was designed. I don't like Hawke specifically because unlike the Warden of Origins, my ability to make Hawke as I want the character is severely, staggeringly limited. I like the Warden because the character can be any number of things and still fit into the story, whether that be a male human noble seeking revenge, or a city elf that's casually racist toward humans, or whatever. I mean, there will always be limitations in the way that a character in such a game can be constructed, but Dragon Age II ripped out all of the options I liked about how the Warden could be presented and gave us Hawke instead.

What, you liked playing a dwarf or an elf? Fuck you. You're a human.

#108 Posted by Brodehouse (10127 posts) -

ITT: Rage Demons

A dialogue wheel is no less limiting than a dialogue list. The wheel IS the list, only with a demarcation between "This will move the conversation forward" and "this will give more insight on what was just said". They generally did this exact same thing in Origins, with less information provided to the player. If you've actually studied the Origins dialogue 'trees' in lists you'd see they conform almost exactly to the same philosophy of the 'trees' in the wheel, only with more loops and redundancies (dialogue loops are poison to narrative consistency).

I really only want a choice of race/whathaveyou if it makes an actual difference in my interpretation of the story. This was intermittent in DA:O, only a few origins really had stories that felt vibrant and directly pinned into the narrative. DA2 only has one real instance of this, though it was done well (your feelings may change wildly depending on it you're mage or mundane). They need more examples than DA2, but a more consistent impact than DA:O.

#109 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Hailinel: That's not a great reason to hate the character though! You were saying to just kill off Hawke because fuck hawke, and your only remark to their CHARACTER was that the character personality options were limited. Do you just hate humans in fantasy games or what?

I GET IT. you liked the choices of origins. I liked having choices too! but instead of getting angry about not having choices, I decided to play by their rules and found that I could still build the character's personality in the same way as my characters in origin. You just hate what Hawke represents instead of hating her as a character. You are being completely unfair to the character of Hawke because they didn't build the game with the options you wanted.

also technically there are two origins, one in which bethany dies and the other in which the templar brother dies, but that is just a technicality.

#110 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: That's not a great reason to hate the character though! You were saying to just kill off Hawke because fuck hawke, and your only remark to their CHARACTER was that the character personality options were limited. Do you just hate humans in fantasy games or what?

I GET IT. you liked the choices of origins. I liked having choices too! but instead of getting angry about not having choices, I decided to play by their rules and found that I could still build the character's personality in the same way as my characters in origin. You just hate what Hawke represents instead of hating her as a character. You are being completely unfair to the character of Hawke because they didn't build the game with the options you wanted.

also technically there are two origins, one in which bethany dies and the other in which the templar brother dies, but that is just a technicality.

I hate that Dragon Age II stuck players with Hawke, rather than provide more options for the player to create their own protagonist like in Origins. That would have required more time and effort, yes, and yes, DAII had a truncated development, but frankly there was so much about that game that turned me off that Hawke's existence is the cherry on top of a Do Not Want Sundae.

#111 Edited by TheHT (11768 posts) -

@Hailinel: You said silly things and I essentially repeated them to you, in an effort to show how silly they are. Let's see if I can make the logical progression of my posts clearer for you!

@Hailinel said:

Hawke was a major problem and one of the primary reasons I never played the game. The character represented everything I didn't want in Dragon Age.

@Hailinel said:

@TheHT said:

And now you add information about your opinion which you assume I knew of (which I obviously couldn't have, them being in your head), then assume that I blanketly disagree with those additions all the while assuming I'll blindly come along and try to say why each of these additional reasons are folley using a tactic you irrationally believe I employed previously.

Bravo.

#112 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@TheHT said:

And now you add information about your opinion which you assume I knew of (which I obviously couldn't have, them being in your head), then assume that I blanketly disagree with those additions all the while assuming I'll blindly come along and try to say why each of these additional reasons are folley using a tactic you irrationally believe I employed previously.

Bravo.

Or, you know, you could have asked me for more information. Amazing, I know.

#113 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Hailinel: I don't know what you think I'm trying to argue. DA2 is a bad/mediocre game; yes. DA2 is not as good as origins; yes. DA2 gives you less options in character development; yes.

but it's completely unfair to hate Hawke as a character and you know it. She was important and is important to the larger story of dragon age, She has just as many PERSONALITY options (I did not say race of course) as Grey Warden does. I have played both games I think I know what I am talking about (I am on my second playthrough of origins right now). Can I play a human hating elf sympathizer? Just as much as Origins. Does it makes sense? not really! but it's a video game y'all.

#114 Posted by TheHT (11768 posts) -

@Hailinel: Why on earth would I ask you to tell me what else you think is wrong with the game, if I'm commenting on the things you actually said were wrong with the game.

Good lord man.

#115 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: I don't know what you think I'm trying to argue. DA2 is a bad/mediocre game; yes. DA2 is not as good as origins; yes. DA2 gives you less options in character development; yes.

but it's completely unfair to hate Hawke as a character and you know it. She was important and is important to the larger story of dragon age, She has just as many PERSONALITY options (I did not say race of course) as Grey Warden does. I have played both games I think I know what I am talking about (I am on my second playthrough of origins right now). Can I play a human hating elf sympathizer? Just as much as Origins. Does it makes sense? not really! but it's a video game y'all.

Unfair? Maybe. But Hawke is a very easy target, whether it be because of the lack of customization (not only in Hawke, but in other aspects of the game as well), or the Mass Effect-ish homogenization of the narrative presentation. As a character, Hawke is a focal point of Dragon Age II not just in terms of characterization and plot importance, but also in terms of design choices that went into the game. My beef isn't strictly with Hawke as a personality, but what Hawke represents to Dragon Age II as a whole.

#116 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@Hailinel: Why on earth would I ask you to tell me what else you think is wrong with the game, if I'm commenting on the things you actually said were wrong with the game.

Good lord man.

I don't know. Maybe ask for clarity? Context? Question the reasons I state and push me on those? Don't just regurgitate and restate what I say as if by doing so they make some sort of innate ridiculousness in them more apparent.

#117 Posted by TheHT (11768 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@TheHT said:

Good lord man.

I don't know. Maybe ask for clarity? Context? Question the reasons I state and push me on those? Don't just regurgitate and restate what I say as if by doing so they make some sort of innate ridiculousness in them more apparent.

So you don't think I was being reductive? Well I'm glad that's settled.

Though, your initial response was that I was being stupidly reductive. So, since I was just regurgitating/restating what you said, based on that intial response I suppose I somehow did manage to show the ridiculousness of your words (and associated ideas).

#118 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@Hailinel said:

@TheHT said:

Good lord man.

So you don't think I was being reductive? Well I'm glad that's settled.

Where did I say that?

#119 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

Unfair? Maybe. But Hawke is a very easy target, whether it be because of the lack of customization (not only in Hawke, but in other aspects of the game as well), or the Mass Effect-ish homogenization of the narrative presentation. As a character, Hawke is a focal point of Dragon Age II not just in terms of characterization and plot importance, but also in terms of design choices that went into the game. My beef isn't strictly with Hawke as a personality, but what Hawke represents to Dragon Age II as a whole.

and thus should not be killed just because you dislike the direction DA2 went in.

#120 Posted by TheHT (11768 posts) -

@Hailinel: Seriously? It was the last thing you wrote to me.

@Hailinel said:

Don't just regurgitate and restate

re·gur·gi·tate/riˈgərjəˌtāt/

Verb:
  1. Bring (swallowed food) up again to the mouth.
  2. Repeat (information) without analyzing or comprehending it.

re·state/rēˈstāt/

Verb:
State (something) again or differently, esp. more clearly or convincingly.

re·duc·tive/riˈdəktiv/

Adjective:
  1. Tending to present a subject or problem in a simplified form, esp. one viewed as crude.
  2. (with reference to art) Minimal: "reductive abstract shapes".
#121 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@TheHT: You can be reductive in regurgitation.

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

and thus should not be killed just because you dislike the direction DA2 went in.

Perhaps not, but I wouldn't be sad if Hawke was never seen or heard from again.

#122 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

The thing about Hawke is that (s)he's important to the story now, especially if they're going to take this mage-templar war stuff to it's conclusion in inquisition. If they don't than I wouldn't be shocked to not see Hawke, of course, but...

I still say you should play it just so you can articulate why you hate it better. and really, it isn't as bad as everyone says (as long as you get it cheap). just mediocre

#123 Posted by TheHT (11768 posts) -

@Hailinel:

re·gur·gi·tate/riˈgərjəˌtāt/

Verb:
  1. Repeat (information) without analyzing or comprehending it.

re·peat/riˈpēt/

Verb:
Say again something one has already said.

re·duc·tive/riˈdəktiv/

Adjective:
  1. Tending to present a subject or problem in a simplified form, esp. one viewed as crude.

sim·pli·fy/ˈsimpləˌfī/

Verb:
Make (something) simpler or easier to do or understand.
#124 Posted by WarlordPayne (705 posts) -

I thought Hawke was dramatically better as a character than the Warden was. Having a protagonist that doesn't speak works well in very few games, like the Elder Scrolls or recent Fallout games, because they're the only ones that offer you the freedom to really embody the character. You get to make choices in Dragon Age but they're from a very small prepared list so I never feel like I am the character, I just feel like I'm controlling a mute.

You have the same control and the same choices in game with Hawke but she actually has a personality, one that is shaped by the players dialogue choices. If you generally choose sarcastic comments then she's a smartass, even when the dialogue is out of your control. If you're kind of a jerk then Hawke is a jerk, to everyone, pretty much all the time even when you choose the "nice" dialogue choices because that is the personality that you established for the character. It goes a long way to eliminating the wild mood swings that are inherent to pretty much every game of this style while keeping all the choices that they offer.

Based on the end of DA2 it sounds like both Hawke and the Warden are going to be important characters and seemed, to me at least, to be hinting at something far worse than just the mage/templar war. It also seems like they're building up to something pretty big involving Flemeth and Sandal.

For all its faults DA2 managed to make me actually care about the story in Dragon Age and what is going to happen in that world, whereas in Origins I just enjoyed the gameplay.

#125 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@WarlordPayne: what was the thing with Sandal? I totally forgot most of the end of DA2

#126 Posted by Brodehouse (10127 posts) -
@Animasta Sandal mentions in random Estate dialogue that "the old lady has a scary laugh". I think Bodahn also mentions that he has dreams of an old woman standing at the end of his bed.

#127 Posted by WarlordPayne (705 posts) -

@Animasta: The Sandal stuff wasn't really related to the ending, just things that happen throughout the series. Such as Sandal being found by his adoptive father wandering alone in the deep roads, several times throughout the series being found standing over piles of dead darkspawn, freezing that ogre and his only explanation for it being "not enchantment" , him managing to insert himself into the Warden and Hawke's lives and then leaving to go to Orlais which is where the Grey Wardens were heading because of something really bad going down there, him having visions of a scary old lady laughing and telling him things in his dreams, and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwa-mKETJW0.

It's all speculation, obviously, but added up all that is pretty suspicious. It may amount to nothing and maybe it was all just supposed to be played off for laughs, but it seems like it could be more.

#128 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

if sandal is a party member in DA3 I will buy it full price

#129 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1889 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Well the second one way outsold the first one so I don't think they really give a shit.

Congratz. That is easily the most misinformed statement I have read on the internet today, and I was reading YouTube comments earlier.

EDIT: The back 'n' forth over truly trivial bullshit and an over attachment to 2 dimensional characters that have appeared in this thread since the thread necro are the reason I stopped visiting the BioWare forums.

#130 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Badly I'm sure.

#131 Posted by Milkman (17309 posts) -

Wipe everything that happens in Dragon Age 2 from the record and go back to Origins characters. Oh and make a game that isn't a total piece of fucking garbage.

#132 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@Viking_Funeral said:

@MikkaQ said:

Well the second one way outsold the first one so I don't think they really give a shit.

Congratz. That is easily the most misinformed statement I have read on the internet today, and I was reading YouTube comments earlier.

EDIT: The back 'n' forth over truly trivial bullshit and an over attachment to 2 dimensional characters that have appeared in this thread since the thread necro are the reason I stopped visiting the BioWare forums.

I already stated here I was thinking of something else, so maybe you should try contributing something more interesting to the thread instead of wasting everyone's time. People just fucking love to correct each other, don't they?

#133 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1889 posts) -

@MikkaQ: I seemed to have missed your correction, since you didn't go back and edit your original comment.

Of course, I'm sure you're not the type who would make fun of someone for stating something so blatantly incorrect with such conviction and arrogance. Or am I still wasting your precious time there, honey-cakes?

#134 Posted by BUD (7 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Badly I'm sure.

#135 Posted by N7 (3666 posts) -

I'm calling it. The Warden and the Champion of Kirkwall are your companions as you fight to end the war between mage and templar.

#136 Posted by Encephalon (1331 posts) -

They'll undoubtedly continue the mage/templar plotline from 2, which is sort of a bummer because that plotline felt like such a huge left turn from what was going on in Origins. Not saying one is better than the other, but I think it's a reasonable expectation, in buying a sequel, that it will at least obliquely address the plot threads of its forebear.

#137 Posted by avidwriter (665 posts) -

They should just come out and say "DA2 was a spin-off" pretend it never happened and try to recover with DA3. At least if they want this series to live past 3.

#138 Posted by WarlordPayne (705 posts) -

@N7 said:

I'm calling it. The Warden and the Champion of Kirkwall are your companions as you fight to end the war between mage and templar.

I've been hoping that you'll play as the Warden again, since s/he had no personality, and have Hawke as a party member. It'd be pretty great if you could import your Hawke's gender, class, and personality so everyone would get their own unique party member to go along with their player character.

#139 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Encephalon said:

They'll undoubtedly continue the mage/templar plotline from 2, which is sort of a bummer because that plotline felt like such a huge left turn from what was going on in Origins. Not saying one is better than the other, but I think it's a reasonable expectation, in buying a sequel, that it will at least obliquely address the plot threads of its forebear.

what plot threads? the morrigan thing? That's the only one I can think of.

#140 Posted by WarlordPayne (705 posts) -

@Animasta: There were the self aware darkspawn in Awakenings, I don't remember if that was fully resolved by the end.

#141 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

still haven't beat awakenings (that's why I'm playing through DA:O again tbh)

#142 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Animasta said:

The thing about Hawke is that (s)he's important to the story now, especially if they're going to take this mage-templar war stuff to it's conclusion in inquisition. If they don't than I wouldn't be shocked to not see Hawke, of course, but...

I still say you should play it just so you can articulate why you hate it better. and really, it isn't as bad as everyone says (as long as you get it cheap). just mediocre

I bought it used today and have played about five hours in. My takeaway on Hawke at this point is that she's nothing particularly special. Give the Warden's lines voice, and they'd be equals in terms of basic presentation. The problem with Hawke is that the player can't put as much of themselves into the character. It's like if the next edition of D&D were to strip out all of the playable races except humans. Sure, you'd still be playing D&D, but a version that isn't as fun or accommodating.

But beyond that, ugh, this has been a dull five hours. So far, it's been playing errand girl to earn money with no end in sight. These quests are nothing but padding. And the game hasn't been particularly difficult save for the one chamber I entered where the entire room filled with spiders, zombies, and a litch or something. It took me five tries to clear that, and I only got out of it by the skin of my teeth with one character left standing. And people aren't exaggerating about those enemy waves and people dropping out of the sky to fight.

It's not the worst game ever so far, but it's nothing I'd call good, and even with auto-attack turned on, it's a chore.

And seriously, why are the damage numbers and status messages turned off by default?

#143 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Hailinel: There are lots of questionable design decisions in DA2. Yeah, the first part collecting the money is kinda boring but the second act is pretty well worth it in my opinion. also the third act probably doesn't work very well unless you romance Anders (which I did) so there's that I suppose?

#144 Posted by N7 (3666 posts) -

@Hailinel: There comes a time where you realize you have way too much fucking money and nothing to spend it on.

It is one part feels good, and one part feels bad.

#145 Posted by chrissedoff (2167 posts) -

The main thing I want --and which I don't think anyone's said so far-- is new stuff. The thing that annoys me about the Dragon Age universe is that everything fantastical seems to be explained by either being from the Fade or being Darkspawn (who themselves might be from the Fade, I dunno). Part of what made Origins so good was that it was a very well realized fantasy world and it was fun to learn about it. Dragon Age II didn't really introduce much new lore, and that's one reason for why it wasn't as good.

If the templar v. mage conflict is acknowledged at all, it should be some background crap or it should already be over and done with. Same with the Darkspawn. Move on to the next thing.

#146 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3798 posts) -

I'd think they would have to take the pieces that they have already put into play but do a kinda reboot to the whole story. I can't see them making a third Dragon Age without thinking this game being the first one of a new trilogy. Maybe instead of calling in Dragon Age 3, call it "Dragon Age: Something" to showcase to people this game is hopefully heading in a direction that is entirely better then the second. On a side note I'm probably in the minority who enjoyed the second games storyline.

#147 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: There are lots of questionable design decisions in DA2. Yeah, the first part collecting the money is kinda boring but the second act is pretty well worth it in my opinion. also the third act probably doesn't work very well unless you romance Anders (which I did) so there's that I suppose?

That's assuming this game can keep my interest that long. I just finished the Deep Roads expedition and the difficulty spikes continue to be stupid. And I shut down Anders's advances ASAP. It got weird when, in one of my first conversations with him, I counted no less than three romance dialogue options. It's like the game is trying to shove him down my throat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.